PDA

View Full Version : ATCSA Vacances

Gregory_atca86
1st Nov 2006, 10:31
Hello, Im trying to find out how to apply to NATS as a ATCSA, my prefered location would be MAN, i've visited the NATS careers site many many times but always says no vancances for assistants, would it help if i send my CV to MAN or to NATS HQ??? Im a Military ATCA wiv 4 years experience. Any hints??? :ugh:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Nov 2006, 20:12
<<Im a Military ATCA wiv>>
Hmmmm....

Ayr-in-ya-JockStrap
2nd Nov 2006, 09:16
NATS usually finds its new assistants (ATSAs) from within e.g. failed trainee controllers. So, unfortunately, it is very rare that NATS looks for new staff outside of the realm of the company. However, vacancies still do arise which cannot filled from within.

I would suggest the best course of action is to send your CV to the personnel manager at Manch, I believe it is then kept on file for six months and they will contact you if anything comes up. If you've heard nothing in six months then repeat the process.

Also be aware that NATS employs new ATSAs on a non permanant basis i.e. if there are going to be job losses, you're going and witout any redundancy payment! Unless, I understand, you can get promoted to a permanant position.

Hope this helps. :)

Gregory_atca86
2nd Nov 2006, 09:40
Hi, Thank you for your reply, I will send my CV to MAN to see if I get any response, I was unaware that ATSAs were only emplyed on a 12 month basis. do you think that overall assistants will slowly be faded out due to the advances in techonolgy?

Dances with Boffins
2nd Nov 2006, 10:29
ATSAs have been a dying breed in NATS for years [although they are showing a marked reluctance to die out]. All are recruited locally, so sending your CV to Manch is a good start, although all the ACC [area control] ATSAs are either moving to Scotland or leaving in the next couple of years, so any vacancies at Manch are likely to be filled by Area ATSAs wanting to stay put at the airport.
The ATSA contract is not even a fixed year. New starters are on a variable contract which allows NATS to shed ATSA jobs as required in response to technology improvements [pop-up toasters and electric kettles]. Old lags are on permanent contracts with full pension etc. Internal ATSA vacancies that can't be replaced by technology, or are not seen as likely to be replaced, will still keep their permanent contract status and can be applied for by ATSAs who are only on the variable contract. This enables NATS to promote/retain any experienced/talented individuals who have been recruited since the inception of the variable contract.

Good news and bad news I suppose. Good Luck.

Ayr-in-ya-JockStrap
2nd Nov 2006, 13:59
The latest from the rumour mill is that ATSA numbers are not likely to be reduced significantly until 2015 due to NATS technological advances going into reverse...AGAIN!

So it's still worthwhile applying, you will probably start as an ACPO - Aircraft Position Operator (ATSA 1) in the simulator on a varied contract. The tower assistants are ATSA 2's but you will still be on a varied contract. ATSA 3's are permanant staff and work as sector assistants in the Area Control Centre. However, the Manchester Area Control Centre (MACC) is scheduled to move to Prestwick, Ayrshire in Jan 2010. So as you can see it's all a bit of a juggling act especially if you don't want to leave the NW!

Good Luck:confused:

Gregory_atca86
6th Nov 2006, 17:50
Mmmm....it doesnt look that good does it?? Thanks for your replys, The only other Airport close would be Liverpool, any opions or advice? :hmm:

atsatoo
21st Nov 2006, 15:58
Try applying to Aberdeen.
They're dropping like flies there!

Seriously!!

exlatccatsa
22nd Nov 2006, 10:58
Looking at my poor old leg I think I dropped a bit faster than a fly... but I will be back!!
It just may be a while!!
Good luck Gregory

atsatoo
22nd Nov 2006, 15:41
Ouch! :ouch:

See what I mean. Some folks will go to extroadinary lengths to get out of working at ATC/MET Aberdeen.

I think the 'wing commanders' many and varied sick leave excuses still take top prize for escapoligy though exlatccatsa, at least you have x-rays as proof !!!

Gregory, rumour has it that there may well be another vacancy at EGPD next year, an ex mil assistant willing to relocate would stand a fair chance I guess??

too

Odi
25th Nov 2006, 20:53
Gregory_atca86 - check your PMs

exlatccatsa - how's the leg doing?

exlatccatsa
27th Nov 2006, 11:10
Much the same Odi, thanks for asking. Why don't you come over for a cofee and find out? Maybe we could figure a way of me getting back earlier!!

wingcmdr
29th Nov 2006, 10:28
That's a little harsh atsatoo! However to be expected from the EGPD pool of negativity and despondency. To anyone who wants to work in Aberdeen make sure you have a stab proof vest and the ability to whine and whinge daily and I am sure you will fit right in!

Good show to all the junior ranks :rolleyes:

atsatoo
29th Nov 2006, 11:24
LOL....
Harsh?
No, in awe more like!!

Well put though Wng Co.
I wondered if you visited here. Now we know.
Hows life? What you up to these days?

too.

wingcmdr
29th Nov 2006, 12:39
Well there you have it. Hows life? Great thanks up to all sorts but not enough space here to tell all. Hope you are OK and that life is treating you well.

Pip pip what ;)

atsatoo
30th Nov 2006, 09:50
Not bad thanks.
Still very short staffed so creaming in the O/T !!!:)