PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Man

S-Works
1st Nov 2006, 08:47
I have a meeting at lunch time on the IOM. Any suggestions for a local eatary near IOM airport. First time into Ronaldsay, what are they like? I will be coming off the airways so any gotchas?

hoodie
1st Nov 2006, 08:53
Can't help with an eatery, but suggest you avoid Ronaldsay. That's on The Orkneys... :E

S-Works
1st Nov 2006, 09:12
oops! I better try Ronaldsway instead!!

smith
1st Nov 2006, 09:18
Expect £40ish landing and handling fees

nigelisom
1st Nov 2006, 09:28
Bose-x

Manx fliers for handling and their club house is O.K. for a pub grub type meal and fairly comfortable.
Other than that into Castletown (1-2 miles) lots of choice, or Douglas (8-10 miles) even more chioce.
Manx fliers (nice guys that they are) used to have a hire car available for visitors, bit of a wreck but a real useful facility and very cheap, ask if it is still available and don't forget to put some petrol in it when you return it!

Have a good trip

Nigel

IO540
1st Nov 2006, 09:31
The "pub" next to the runway is OK for food. Otherwise, suprisingly, the IOM is not renowned for a selection of restaurants. Those I have been to are pretty tacky.

gcolyer
1st Nov 2006, 12:10
There are some great restruants on the Island. Unfortunatley none near Ronaldsway.

Can i suggest you consider going to Andreas it will only cost you £5 in a single. Alternatley give me a shout and i will give you the contact details of a farmer who a strip 5 minutes out side of Douglas. i am fairly sure he will allow you in and will be able to supply fuel as well.

Oh yeah. if Ronaldsway is fogged in or has poor cloud height and vis then I can pretty much gauruntee Andreas will be clear, it hardly ever gets fogged in. Plus it is in class G.

Jodelman
1st Nov 2006, 15:36
Alternatley give me a shout and i will give you the contact details of a farmer who a strip 5 minutes out side of Douglas.
I thought that strip had been closed down. Is it still operating?

S-Works
1st Nov 2006, 18:05
Back safe and sound. Thanks for the tips guys. I was handled by manx flyers for the princelly sum of 20 quid all in, had my meeting and lunch in the flying club bar, very nice steak and chips. All in all an excellant experiance with first class service. The guy in the flying club could not do enough for us, very impressed.

Thanks for the suggestions of alternates, but when doing business meetings I travel airways and choose the airport that has the best facilities close to my destination. As there is no airspace I cant enter its a moot point! Ronaldsway fitted the bill perfectly and ensured that I can get in and more importantly home!!

gcolyer
1st Nov 2006, 18:08
I thought that strip had been closed down. Is it still operating?

It is still going through the planning permission battle. It does get used now and again. Usualy if the owners aircraft need some maintenance then he will take them in to his strip. Mr Paisley used it the summer with his helicopter during TT.

You know the old saying...If you don't ask you don't get.