PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Patrol

QDMQDMQDM
31st Oct 2006, 18:48
I know these used to go on -- one airfield launches awaited dawn 'attack' on neighbouring airfield. The defenders are airborne and have to spot the attackers. The attackers have to sneak thru the defensive cordon and land without being spotted.

Does it still happen in health and safety Britain?

QDM

microlight AV8R
31st Oct 2006, 20:22
I do believe it happened this summer at a fly-in, Elmsett in Suiffolk methinks.

Recall that a free breakfast was the reward for a successful arrival.

Can't see the harm so long as the rules of the air are adhered to.

Pitts2112
31st Oct 2006, 21:26
Did one a few years ago at Leicester. What a hoot! Didn't catch any of the bu&&ers coming in as we were too busy spotting our own people! Had a great time, though! Would love to see one at Popham sometime.

Hey....

Pitts2112

aluminium persuader
31st Oct 2006, 21:55
I can confirm that it happened at Elmsett. No real dramas, but it would have been nice had the inbounds called Elmsett radio before appearing in the overhead!

QDMQDMQDM
1st Nov 2006, 06:58
I can confirm that it happened at Elmsett. No real dramas, but it would have been nice had the inbounds called Elmsett radio before appearing in the overhead!

Er, hang on, isn't that rather against the point of the whole thing?

microlight AV8R
1st Nov 2006, 07:14
AP

Just own up & admit to a thorough thrashing :cool:

OpenCirrus619
1st Nov 2006, 08:05
It's an annual event at Headcorn - except we are slightly more civilised and have a "Lunch Patrol".

OC619

hobbit1983
1st Nov 2006, 10:10
Sounds like fun! Would like to join in the next one if possible.

OC619 - had a look at Headcorn's website, couldn't find anything relevant. Are there specific requirements to take part?

Russell Gulch
1st Nov 2006, 11:44
Sturgate usually do one early in February (bravely!)
Russ

OpenCirrus619
1st Nov 2006, 12:53
OC619 - had a look at Headcorn's website, couldn't find anything relevant. Are there specific requirements to take part?

It's actually the Tiger Club that do it - usually as one of the bits of fun during their annual "Garden Party".

OC619

ChampChump
1st Nov 2006, 13:18
It needs the connivance of the Ground radio. The lunch patrol this year was surprised that most incoming aircraft were left unaware of the patrol....but it was all manic fun anyway. :E

Speedbird48
1st Nov 2006, 13:21
There used to be a good one, years ago, at Redhill on "New Years Day" when the Tiger Club was there. Robin Owen and I put it together and it bought out the "real pilots". What hang-over!!!

Good times, probably illegal these days, at least the way we did them??

Memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hobbit1983
1st Nov 2006, 16:11
Thanks OC619 - will investigate.

sucksqueezeBANGstop
20th Jun 2008, 18:55
Wickenby EGNW are having one on June 28th between 8am-10am! All are welcome - breakfasts to pilot/co-pilot teams who make it within 2.5nm of the runways without being seen. Please respect 500ft rule and try to avoid local villages!

Hope to see you there.
:ok: