PDA

View Full Version : Student Licence Tower Vacancies

big-blue-sky
30th Oct 2006, 16:18
Are there currently any non-NATS Tower Vacancies for student licence ATCOs either in the UK or abroad?

Foxy Loxy
2nd Nov 2006, 10:31
Try Southend (www.southendairport.net)

Foxy

niknak
2nd Nov 2006, 19:52
Student licence ATCOs?

What you really mean is you're not an ATCO and you have a student licence, which is largely irrelevant when applying for jobs in ATC.

The fact that you ask about vacancies either in the UK or "abroad" says a lot about the level of research you've done.

If you'd bothered to do any research, you'd know the vast majority of non NATS airports train their own staff from within, the only chance you'd stand of getting an ATC job "abroad" is with Eurocontrol.

The fact that you are ignorant of both options doesn't hold out much hope for employment anywhere within the aviation sector.

rodan
2nd Nov 2006, 20:31
BBS: Ignore the ill-tempered troll.

Your student license is both highly valuable and relevant, presumably you have a tower rating with it. Try Serco and Highlands & Islands Airports Ltd, and write to the SATCOs at all the non-NATS airports that you are interested in. They far prefer to take on someone who has had some expensive training paid for already, in fact it is the stated policy where I work. All you have to do is convince them that you are interested in working there, and that you are trainable and competent.

Good luck, it is entirely possible to find work in your situation, so get stuck in. PM me if you need advice from someone who has been there.

Barnaby the Bear
2nd Nov 2006, 21:56
What you really mean is you're not an ATCO and you have a student licence, which is largely irrelevant when applying for jobs in ATC.

The fact that you ask about vacancies either in the UK or "abroad" says a lot about the level of research you've done.

If you'd bothered to do any research, you'd know the vast majority of non NATS airports train their own staff from within, the only chance you'd stand of getting an ATC job "abroad" is with Eurocontrol.

The fact that you are ignorant of both options doesn't hold out much hope for employment anywhere within the aviation sector.

NIK NAK what was that all about?

Fortunately, not everyone in ATC is so rude. Ignore that response and treat it with the contempt it deserves.

Happy hunting. :ok:

JustaFew
2nd Nov 2006, 23:30
Not the first time nik-nak has been so negative about someone wishing to improve their lot in life. You know who to avoid working with now. Apply to ATS managers/SATCOs. Good luck.

elfer
3rd Nov 2006, 00:31
Agree. I've never heard of that student licence thing.
The fact that you ask about vacancies either in the UK or "abroad" says a lot about the level of research you've done. If you'd bothered to do any research, you'd know the vast majority of non NATS airports train their own staff from within, the only chance you'd stand of getting an ATC job "abroad" is with Eurocontrol.
Yes and no. True he doesnt show much interest. But theres many other places to apply for ATC like Austria, UAE, New Zealand etc. itīs a big world "out there". Whether or not you would have to start from scratch i have no clue (in Eurocontrol you would)
hahaha pity i cant draw a dog barking ;)
Anyways, good luck on this new goal :)

Barnaby the Bear
3rd Nov 2006, 18:20
Agree. I've never heard of that student licence thing.

A student licence means that the holder has completed the Aerodrome course, and is now able to begin 'On the job training'.

It is by no means a guarantee of success as an ATCO, but without it you can't begin training.

niknak
3rd Nov 2006, 20:56
I merely stated the facts as they are, if I don't have the touchy feely platitudes to extend to someone who can't be arsed to do their homework, then so be it.
I can assure you that the vast majority of ATSMs would look at an application to them with the same level of disdain.

Grumpy old Niknak.

mhk77
4th Nov 2006, 06:35
the only chance you'd stand of getting an ATC job "abroad" is with Eurocontrol.

Depends on your definition of abroad I guess, but I seem to remember Knock in the Republic of Ireland were advertising a year or two ago and were prepared to look at people in bbs' position.
And it really pi$$e$ me off that arrogant pompous prat$ like yourself are so quick to shoot down people like bbs. Why the hell shouldn't he use pprune to ask people whether they know of any vacancies?!? Quite a lot of the time jobs are available without being advertised, I should know, that's how I got mine! And your pedanticism with regards to his use of the phrase 'for student licence ATCOs', is frankly painful. You appeared to be the only one who struggled to understand what he meant. Get over it! :mad: :mad: :mad: :* :*

SATCO Biggin
4th Nov 2006, 11:24
BBS is asking a straightforward question and it would seem a reasonable course of action to post it on an ATC forum to try and get some advice from those in the job. Adopting the 'carpet bombing' method of looking up every unit in the country and sending off a CV would be the next step.

Assuming you have passed your ADI course and have paid your hard earned money to the CAA for a Yellow Book with 'Student' printed on the outside then given the current controller shortage any unit manager would be mad not to look at your CV.

RAC/OPS
4th Nov 2006, 12:01
You must be a barrel of laughs down the pub when any one asks for advice, Nik(kers in a twist)Nak! BBS has a student licence, obviously having passed the aerodrome course. How is that not relevant given today's climate of a shortage of ATCO's?

Big-Blue-Sky, you may be in the fortunate position of being able to choose where you want to work, so send your CV to those units that interest you, you might be surprised by the result. Good luck with the career!

flower
4th Nov 2006, 14:55
BBS,

If looking for addresses may I suggest you look online at the entries for the different airports on the following link
http://www.ais.org.uk/

It is the AIS website , go to UK AIP Aerodrome then specific and on each you should find the Postal Address for each unit. I am making an assumption that you know which units are NATS or not, if NATS they don't take individual applications. If stuck on which they are feel welcome to PM me

Good Luck, many out there with great careers started off with just the Aerodrome Ticket

niknak
4th Nov 2006, 21:53
BBS indicates that he/they does not have a any ATC qualifications because there is no suggestion of possession of a validated aerodrome rating, i.e. no ATC Licence.

If that is not the case, it should have been made clear at when the post was originally made, if not, equally so - which is it?

Cuddles
4th Nov 2006, 22:28
You've been at the mushrooms mate.

flower
4th Nov 2006, 22:48
Student licence indicates at least one rating in my book Niknak, why on earth are you so aggressive ?

Report@Boddam
5th Nov 2006, 00:41
Wind your neck in Niknak.

A student licence is given to all STUDENTS who successfully complete an aerodrome course. They then have a set period of time( i think its 12 months) to complete the RATING( ie ADI) on their licence or they have to retake the course.

If you can remember when you graced a college with your presence Niknak at the end of the course you would have recieved a yellow peril with a bit of paper in it saying STUDENT AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS LICENCE. It was the best sight in the world, until that is you passed a validation board and recieved an AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER LICENCE:D

That is what B-B-S seems to be indicating at the start of thread. Perfectly clear to me:ok:

B-B-S try HIAL or sending CV's to towers around the country. I hope you have some luck its a great job, most people you meet will be helpful.:)

chevvron
5th Nov 2006, 08:29
During my time at the College, we had yellow perils saying 'Air Traffic Control Certificate of Competence'; we got ATCO licences to replace them at the graduation ceremony; never saw a Student ATCO licence 'cos NATS (previously NATCS) ATCO Cadets weren't given them!

Hey I just discovered how to get rid of those stupid adverts; select 'edit' on what you've just posted and it disappears!

spekesoftly
5th Nov 2006, 09:23
Hey I just discovered how to get rid of those stupid adverts; select 'edit' on what you've just posted and it disappears!

Well I can see an ad under your user name, so I'm not convinced that 'edit' works as you say, at least not permanently. I've read elsewhere that the whole Google advert process on PPRuNe is still being refined by Danny & Co., so changes in their display are ongoing. Click 'Refresh', and you may see the ad return.

flower
5th Nov 2006, 10:34
During my time at the College, we had yellow perils saying 'Air Traffic Control Certificate of Competence'; we got ATCO licences to replace them at the graduation ceremony; never saw a Student ATCO licence 'cos NATS (previously NATCS) ATCO Cadets weren't given them!
!

They have been giving them out for at least 15 years now

Dont tell um pike
5th Nov 2006, 12:01
Lydd are looking for a couple at the moment

http://www.lydd-airport.co.uk/situations_vacant.asp

might be worth an email ?

Best of Luck

DTUP

big-blue-sky
5th Nov 2006, 23:20
Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply to my question, you have all been very helpful (except one of course) and your comments have provided me with plenty of direction to now start the process. Thanks