PDA

View Full Version : PPL Ground Exams and Flying in Gloucestershire

JamesTigris
29th Oct 2006, 12:01
Just a quick question to those of you who've already passed the PPL ground exams. I've bought the complete set of AFE manuals, in your wise, experience-based opinions, is self study from these (plus the confuser?) sufficient to give a reasonably academic student like myself a good shot at passing all the exams? How essential is it to have the support of instructors or even and structured ground school program? I know its essential for the ATPLs, but what about the PPLs, are the exams more passable with self study?

I'm trying to get all the exams done before starting my flying training, possibly locally or out in the USA. I'll head over to the flying schools for advice, but would rather go armed with some student opinions to cut through the sales pitch!

As a final note, I'm a and hopeful PPL student with ATPL ambitions. I'm doing my graduate physics job, living in Cheltenham and hoping to get some training done at Staverton or Kemble in the near future. Anyone in the local area who's also an oppressed aviation dreamer add a reply and maybe we can get a social club together!

Thanks in advance for all the advice chaps!

-JT

wombat13
29th Oct 2006, 12:58
Books plus the Confuser more than adequate for most.

You get several attempts at the exams before your invitation to Gatwick and the discussion if Aviation is the pass-time for you (as opposed to, say, squash).

Good luck and make sure you get the exams out of the way EARLY.

The Wombat

London Flyer
29th Oct 2006, 14:20
Does this still hold true for the Nav and RT (oral) exams? Can these be attempted on the basis of revision alone and with very few flying hours to one's name?

Perhaps similarly to the OP, I will be going to Spain or Florida for a 4-week intensive CAA PPL in September-October 2007, and would like to have as many exams as possible (as well as the Class II medical, of course) under my belt before I head out there.

Since this is my first post after a month or so lurking here, I'd just like to say thank you to the many contributors who have made this forum a fantastic source of information!

Finally, I'll be doing a little flying out of Elstree and Denham between now and March (when I'm being seconded to a destination as yet unknown for 6 months). If any other students or qualified pilots would like to meet to share stories, or even share the cost of a flight, do PM me!

Humaround
29th Oct 2006, 21:45
Whilst it's a good idea to pass the RT exam before you get your PPL I think I'm right in saying it's not a requirement. It's not one of the exams required to complete the PPL.
Nav is perfectly passable without setting foot in an aeroplane, but the practical is a great deal more fun, and some nav practice will put the theory into perspective.
I can recommend Aeros at Staverton, probably not the cheapest but a thoroughly professional outfit and nice to deal with. Gloucester is a busy little airport, by the time you qualify you will have no difficulty dealing with RT and busy circuits.
Generally agree with getting the exams early, I got the more difficult ones done first (Air Law..., Met).

Anywings
30th Oct 2006, 05:24
Hi James

I fly at Staverton, happy to meet up with you and do a tour. Sent you a PM.

matspart3
30th Oct 2006, 06:17
As a physics graduate, you shouldn't have any problems passing the PPL exams. Staverton Flying School run a a series of evening lectures about this time of year if you feel like you need some support.

I would strongly recommend doing the RT test too, before you get let loose on the aeroplane....it will make your subsequent learning far easier.

You'll be hard pressed to find a better training airfield than Gloucester, pm me if you want the lowdown on each of the (5) schools/clubs.

cblinton@blueyonder.
30th Oct 2006, 19:15
Hi James
And when you have passed and want to go touring in a serious aircraft there is of course a share in a wonderful Beech Bonanza available at Gloucester:)
http://www.cblinton.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/1136632366_thumb.jpg

matspart3
30th Oct 2006, 19:31
....one careful owner!!!