PDA

View Full Version : PPL to Instructor

skyhigh
29th Oct 2006, 08:50
Hi there, i've read a few bits about becoming an instructor and would like a few thoughts on what comes next. Ideally in a few points what is the best way to become an instructor. I know you need to have a CPL and FI rating.

Cheers

unfazed
29th Oct 2006, 09:48
Do a search on CAA website for a document called LASORS

That will tell you what is required to become an FI

GusHoneybun
29th Oct 2006, 10:19
LASORS is the font of all knowledge on licence's. But as I'm in the mood to explain,

To go from a PPL to Instructor, you need to ask yourself one question first. Do you want to get paid to instruct?

If the answer is yes, then
1) You need to cart yourself off the Gatwick and get a Class One medical
2) You need to complete at least the CPL ground school and pass all the lovely exams.
3) You need to build up 150 hours, then you can start a CPL course.
4) You need to pass said CPL course, and before you get your licence issued you need. 200 hours Total, 100 hours PIC, Night qualification (or the training completed), a 300 mile cross country including 2 full stops at different aerodromes, and 10 hours on instruments.
5) You start and complete an instructors course.
6) You pay the CAA and they give you a shiny blue book with an FI(R) rating.

Total cost will be in the region of 12 grand.

If the answer is no, then

1) You need to complete at least the CPL ground school and pass all the exams.
2) You need 200 hours total, of which 150 must be PIC. You will also need a 300 mile cross country with 2 full stop landings, 10 hours instruments.
3) You start and complete an instructors course.
4) You pay the CAA and they give you back your brown book with an FI(R) rating.
5) You then start working for free, further reducing the existing terms and conditions of some poor instructor eeking out a living on baked beans.

Total cost will be in the region of 8 grand.

Helps?

skyhigh
29th Oct 2006, 10:40
thanks, exactly what I was after.:)

lady in red
30th Oct 2006, 20:58
IR certainly not required for the majority of PPL instructing jobs. you would need it to progress to CPL/IR training type positions, but it should not be asked for by employers, indeed I know several CFIs who have never had an IR.

MyData
31st Oct 2006, 10:20
GusHB stated

Do you want to get paid to instruct?

Why would you NOT want to get paid? Or is there a role out there for FIs to instruct on some other basis which isn't fee based? Genuine question, I'm a little bemused.

aerosteve
31st Oct 2006, 10:34
you could work as an FI and no be paid directly, that is say you work in flight training ops full time (desk work) but also hold a ppl with FI , whats to say you couldn't do some instructing at the same time 'unpaid'!?

i could be wrong though....