PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an FAA Instructor

MrMutra
28th Oct 2006, 14:47
Have done a search but not much found on FAA instructor.

I hold a frozen JAA atpl/ir 2000 + hours and 1500+ multi engine no JAA FI ratings at all but have a FAA Atp.

So what's involved and any tips hints ?

:ok:

razzele
28th Oct 2006, 20:43
I assume you are in europe ?

Sounds like youve been out of the FAA system for a while?

Well you need to do a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) Licence test. Which you can use with your ATP licence.

If you do this in a single engine that will allow you to teach any licence in single engine aircraft. You can then add an MEI, to teach on twins or add a CFII to teach instrument ratings. You could also do a MEI first if you so desire.

Books- You should get a new copy of the FARs. FAR61, flight/ground req's are all there. A copy of recent practical test standards book (PTS) for which ever instructor tickets you decide to undertake. Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical knowledge and the Fundamentals of Instructions are both FAA publications which u can buy bound or download from faa.gov, you should know them as that is the req'd level of theoretical knowledge.

Then get some training from an approved instructor and a sign off for the written tests and the flight test.

I believe some written tests can be done somewhere in england ??

I m not sure about FAA designated pilot examiner availability in the UK, but might be an idea to travel to florida or somewhere for the flight test.

hope this gets u a start, feel free to fire anymore questions my way

MrMutra
29th Oct 2006, 10:10
Thanks razzele,

All good info, and thanks for the quick reply. Your right i've been out of the loop for a wee while.

So I need to get with the CFI then look at completing the CFII and MEI. But how many hours do I need to have flown as an instructor before being able to "upgrade" to complete the CFII and also for the MEI ?

Also what level of flight instruction time must you have before being able to become an examiner ? who do you become an examiner to be able to complete Check ride sign offs ? Is there a rule about 5.7 tonnes for requirement of type rating ?

Cheers

razzele
29th Oct 2006, 11:32
Unlike the JAA system there is no requirement to have instructional experience to hold a CFI/MEI/CFII.

All of these can be done (and are often done) back to back. Assuming you have the aeronautical experience and currency requirements, then your instructor can sign you off for any of these checkrides when he thinks your ready.

I wouldnt be able to give you accurate figures on the other questions you have. Sorry, Im currently working away from home and hence my libary too ! Its all in the FAR/AIM though, get a copy from a pilot shop online.

IM sure some of our counterparts across the atlantic will contribute soon though !