PDA

View Full Version : Redhill Aerodrome - no more?

scubawasp
27th Oct 2006, 12:34
Redhill

Aerodrome could become 'new village'

Oct 24 2006

By David Johns [email protected]

REDHILL Aerodrome could be developed to become "a new village" if ambitious plans by its owners get off the ground.

Redhill Aerodrome Ventures Ltd (RAVL), which owns the 400-acre site at South Nutfield, insists the aerodrome has to change and is closely looking at its future.

Since buying the site about 13 years ago, the company has made repeated attempts to develop it into a major passenger airport.

However, after years of debate, questions in Parliament, and strong opposition by pressure groups, its plans were once and for all kicked out by the Government.

RAVL has now proposed two new options for the airfield and employed design consultants Robert Adam Architects to lead the project.

Story continues Continue story
ADVERTISEMENT

If the go-ahead for a village-style development is given, it could mean hundreds of homes being built on a Green Belt site,part of which is believed to be flood plain.

It would also mean extensive infrastructure changes to what is a highly rural area, covering the edges of Smallfield, Salfords, South Nutfield and Outwood.

Paul Dimoldenberg, spokesman for RAVL, said: "One of the proposals is for a new sustainable settlement. The other is to improve the existing infrastructure and flying facilities.

"It is early days and we want to consult with all the relevant local interests.

"The favoured option would be a new settlement, But that does not rule out the option of investing in the future infrastructure and facilities of the aerodrome."

RAVL proposes holding two workshops in November followed by a two-day public exhibition in January.

It says the aim of the workshops is for the team to "share their research on the future of the aerodrome and hear the views of local interest groups".

Mr Dimoldenberg said: "The idea is to present possible futures for the aerodrome.

"We will be looking at the ecology and the landscape of the area, what changes may be possible and what the constraints are.

"All the members of the Redhill Aerodrome Consultative Committee (RACC), members of Parliament, councillors, members of Tandridge and Reigate councils, and local groups will be invited. There will be a lot of local interest."

The proposal for housing has not impressed long-term campaigner Angela Green, who is deputy chairman of KRAG (Keep Redhill Airfield Green).

She was scathing about RAVL's motives for holding the workshops.

She said: "What it comes down to is that they are land speculators and this is where their main interests lie.

"They are trying to present the workshops as if they are public inquiries, and what they seem to be trying to do is suggest development is inevitable."

On hearing of the latest proposals, Peter Ainsworth, MP for East Surrey, said: "When will the owners learn that they are sitting on Green Belt land which is valuable simply because it is green, not because it is developed?

"Given their [RAVL's] previous record I would think that residents would be justified in being extremely cautious in engaging in any debate whose terms are set by RAVL.

"Why can't they just get on with running it as an airfield?

Although the airfield is officially designated as Green Belt land, there is some confusion as to whether it can be classified as previously used - or brown-field - land, which can be built on because there already are buildings on the site.

At a special meeting of the RACC in July, Sebastian Green, representing RAVL, said he was confident that the aerodrome qualified as a brownfield site and that RAVL was continuing with its investigations into proposals for its use.

FREDAcheck
27th Oct 2006, 12:41
Oh no, not another one! I think it will be a great pity if it closes.
...part of which is believed to be flood plain...
I'll say. You need a float plane to get in there sometimes.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Oct 2006, 12:55
Develop it as a major passenger airport? Isn't there one of those (Gatwick) in the area already, just a few miles south of Redhill?

stray10level
27th Oct 2006, 12:59
Hi all, i am new on here.
Why not suggest an AirPark? They get a Housing developement and we keep the airfield!

treadigraph
27th Oct 2006, 22:22
Biggest mistakes in Aviation History? Well one of them was the late and very much missed Norman Jones not buying Redhill Aerodrome, circa 1960. Hindsight Norman I know, but I do wish you had...

'Chuffer' Dandridge
28th Oct 2006, 11:17
I bet all the local residents that whinged about the flying activities in the 70s and 80s are now wishing they'd supported the airfield..... A few noisy aeroplanes or 10,000 extra traffic movements a day through South Nutfield?