PDA

View Full Version : PPL help

XL319
25th Oct 2006, 00:06
Hi i'm wanting some ATC help with regards to RT. I did my PPL in the US and although i'm getting to grips with the RT over here i still struggle in area's. When a radar hands you over...is it your responsibility to make the initial call to approach? (i.e. Coventry approach G-ABCD)? Then they will will continue with FIS or similar? Just the other day i made contact with a new approach when i was passed over and they asked me to pass my message...got me a bit confused...any comments would be great :)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Oct 2006, 07:01
Er... Two points.

One, where an ATC unit does a handover with another unit the next ATC unit should anticipate your call. Simply example - when Approach tells you to contact the Tower, they should be expecting you.

Two, when one ATC unit terminates the service and you "freecall" the next unit the second unit will have no knowledge of you so you will have to give full information. This is common outside Controlled Airspace.

When you say "When radar hands you over.." and you then call Approach? I don't follow that? Which radar unit - an Area Unit? However, my first para should cover most situations.

XL319
25th Oct 2006, 09:12
Thanks for that. To clarify when Radar (i.e. departure) passes you onto the next approach (passes your details) is it their or your responsibility to make the initial call? As stated in your first point they should be expecting me, but I was a little confused as to the correct etiquette in this situation. (apologies if my original post was confusing, i was a little tipsy when i wrote the first post)

Whirlygig
25th Oct 2006, 09:16
It's your responsibility to make the initial call. As HD said, if the handover involves the expression "freecall", then the next ATCU will not know about you and you should give full details, otherwise they will be expecting your call.

Cheers

Whirls

XL319
25th Oct 2006, 11:40
Thanks, i got it right then....obviously you don't want to make a clanger

Whirlygig
25th Oct 2006, 11:42
I wouldn't worry about clangers; I make them all the time, don't I niknak?!!! :ugh: ;)

Cheers

Whirls