PDA

View Full Version : ILS Rwy 30 at Cardiff from the CDF hold

Jambo Jet
24th Oct 2006, 15:58
Help chaps please.

Im in the hold at Cardiff at 3000' on the H. I am cleared the alternative procedure, It says extend the outbound leg of hold to 8d descending to 2200.

Q. Can I descend to 2200' as soon as I have flown over CDF for the procedure or do I have to wait until Im abeam CDF outbound?

Where is this written down for reference?

Any Help much appreciated.

Cloud 99
24th Oct 2006, 18:33
As my understanding goes as soon as you fly over the cdf as long as you have started the turn (ie you are remaining within the protected zone).

However please don't quote me on this I'm probably wrong. (no doubt will be corrected quickly enough.) If you are only at 3000' however I'd be in no rush and would rather concentrate on rolling out on correct heading in correct place than thinking about desceding (fair enough if your high but why complicate things?)

C99

FlyingForFun
25th Oct 2006, 07:11
I don't have the plate to hand, but from memory I think it's a pretty standard procedure at Cardiff, in which case:

First of all, check your clearance. The controller may clear you for the lateral part of the procedure, but want you to remain at 3000', in which case he'll use a phrase like "Cleared outbound for the procedure, remain at 3000 feet."

Assuming that's not the case and you are "cleared for the procedure", you may begin your descent as soon as you pass overhead the beacon and start the turn. This is because the beacon is the IAF, so as soon as you pass overhead it you have begun the procedure.

I don't think you'll find anything written down about this specific case (of extending the outbound part of the hold), because it is no different to the general case that you can descend once you have passed the IAF and established yourself on the outbound leg.

FFF
----------------

Jambo Jet
25th Oct 2006, 07:48
Thanks guys. Its not a trick question just that someone is telling me I should not descend until the abeam the CDF, however I reckon that once you have gone over the fix Im clear to descend

fireflybob
25th Oct 2006, 09:27
Always worth looking at the way the procedure is defined in the UK AIP - there may be more explanation there as opposed to the chart makers picture of the procedure (ie Jepp or Aerad etc).

GARDENER
25th Oct 2006, 20:21
My understanding is that the procedure begins over the beacon therefore descent can begin on passing and not abeam. It might be an instructors/pilots preference?