PDA

View Full Version : ATCO stage 1

dpvh104
24th Oct 2006, 11:23
Hi, just a few questions about the selection process. From your experience, what kind of % figure gets through stage 1? Is there a standard pass 'bar' across the board or does NATS simply compare people on a day-to-day basis?

My concern is the numeracy tests. Would you guys who've been through it all say you're especially quick with numbers or is it a matter of keeping cool and prioritising whats possible and whats not within the allowed time?

Also, I wear glasses and have given NATS details of my prescription (part of the initial application). I've been invited to stage one, so can I assume my eyesight is acceptable (according to that prescription) or might I still be failed at the medical? (if of course I get that far!) Obviously if you've got what it takes, you get through and if you dont, you dont - but I'd still appreciate a few pearls of wisdom....

Sorry if these points have been covered already, and cheers for your help :ok:

Quincy M.E.
26th Oct 2006, 10:46
There is a standard pass rate so you are only in competition with yourself.

I would not say that I was especially quick with the numbers, the questions are quite straight forward and nothing that can not be worked out quickly on a piece of scrap paper (which is provided for).

If you are worried about the presctiption just check yours with the limits prescribed for a Class 1 on the CAA website. I think the standards are the same.

smellysnelly2004
26th Oct 2006, 12:32
The maths is basic numeracy but done at a fair pace.

Medically, if you have been invited to Stage 1 then your presciption is within the limits. If you get through selection then at the medical you would need a pescription from the last 6 months, plus you undergo a different eye examination than at the opticians.

Any questions, please ask

:)

soontobeATCO
26th Oct 2006, 15:01
If you are worried about the presctiption just check yours with the limits prescribed for a Class 1 on the CAA website. I think the standards are the same.

Incorrect.

I hold a class 1 CAA medical and was flatly refused even stage 1 testing with NATS due to my eyesight.

The buggers!

SACrIGGER
26th Oct 2006, 15:44
As far as I know NATS have much stricter limits on eyesight thsn necessary to pass a class 1 medical.

SuperDuperFLY
26th Oct 2006, 15:58
yes....being: what is the % pass rate from stage 1 to stage 2

Its annoying me how they are calling it stage 1 from the first testing day, because really the online application process was a stage in itself [in fact 30% of applicants are rejected at THAT 'stage'].:ugh:

Anyway, I made it to stage 2- literally JUST got the email, and I have booked for the 3rd Nov PM session...anyone else?

Gonzo
26th Oct 2006, 16:20
About 30% pass the stage one tests, at least I think that's the figure.

Mrs K
26th Oct 2006, 18:01
Anyway, I made it to stage 2- literally JUST got the email, and I have booked for the 3rd Nov PM session...anyone else?[/quote]

Hi, My first time to reply to a message but here goes. I have booked to do my stage 2 on Fri 3rd Nov PM session, too. Working hard but still worried. :bored: Do you think we'll get any questions about airliners at 30,000ft descending at a rate of 1500 ft per min etc etc etc? Or is that joy for the 3rd stage, if we are lucky enough to get through? Good luck with the study and hope to see you there. :ok:

Ps I'll be the old bag!

ChrisC
27th Oct 2006, 08:27
Hi, this is a slightly unrelated theme (apologies!) but i was wondering about the time scale from passing the online application to the final 'yes, you're going to college'. Obviously this assumes everything goes according to plan (unlikely!) but does anyone know how long the process takes if each stage is passed??
Just for a bit of background, i've been accepted into the RAF (for ATC), which would start in January, but would like the option of NATs aswell as i'm still not sure which one to choose. I'm going to 'stage 1' in Manchester on the 30th November...

Cheers

Chris