PDA

View Full Version : LHR 747 nosewheel steering incident 21st Oct

marmel
23rd Oct 2006, 23:49
I was a passenger on Cathay Pacific CX251 HKG to LHR, arrived 6am last Saturday morning 21st Oct (didn't get the aircraft reg). We had nosewheel steering problems and after coming to a full stop on runway 27 (not sure L/R) we were towed to our stand. All very professionally handled, with informative flight deck announcements.

Out of curiousity, I was wondering of anyone had any more information on this incident? We had a delayed departure at HKG due to a missing passenger and also for work on the hydraulic system, so I would assume that this was related to the problem at LHR.

Although this was not really serious in passenger safety terms we did close the runway for about 15 mins, and the airport fire service were present. Will there will an AAIB report into this incident?

sprag_clutch
27th Oct 2006, 09:10
With a failed No. 1 Hyd system, the 747 (at least the 200) has no nose wheel steering capability (other than differential power and/or brakes). It would be interesting to know if that flight had a loss of Hydraulic System 1.

18-Wheeler
27th Oct 2006, 09:35
It's very rare, but it's possible for the thin wires that control the hydraulics for the nosewheel steering to get jammed with debris.
I know this has happened at least once.

http://www.billzilla.org/747nosestrut.jpg

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Oct 2006, 10:17
I very much doubt AAIB involvement as it is not an uncommon occurrence. As it was hydraulic related the safety services would have been on a "Full Emergency" with outside fire services as well as the airport service. The runway would have been thoroughly inspected too.

spannersatcx
27th Oct 2006, 10:45
Hydraulic leak from No1 Eng EDP.