PDA

View Full Version : what can you do with 1000 hours?

"V"
23rd Oct 2006, 15:06
Hi all,

Just wondering in Canada and the USA what you could expect to be flying around in once who've reached 1000 hours? (mostly command in single pilot charter).

Thanks,

V

"V"
5th Nov 2006, 12:02
Surely SOMEONE must know what you can do with 1000 hours total time in canada!!!!

stop being so shy people!

V

doubleremix
5th Nov 2006, 13:16
I'd say that depends on a couple of factors:
1) What sort of time it is.
2) How lucky you are.

At a thousand hours, I know some people who are still instructing and some who are getting close to upgrading to multi-turbine command.

"V"
5th Nov 2006, 13:23
Thanks for the reply doubleremix!

Admittedly i'm an expat from Australia so the time is mainly single engine VFR. I'm going to be in Vancouver and Calgarry in a month do you know of anyone who might give me a look in?

V

flywestjetcr
5th Nov 2006, 17:50
Hey V,

1000 hours is a good starting point when looking for work. Currently Air Canada, Westjet and Jazz airlines are hiring which enables movement in the lower industry positions. I would venture that most SE work would be found in flying floats (West Coast) and pipe line patrol in Alberta. If you have your ME/IFR I would push CMA, NT AIR, Pacific Coastal (BC) and Sunwest and Ken Borek in Calgary. I think you'll find though that in Canada you'll need to "camp out" and become a "local" in the company of choices hometown. 1000 hours probably won't get your resume viewed without some repetitive "face" time. Best of luck !!

"V"
6th Nov 2006, 00:51
Thanks flywest,

Do companies in Canada care if you're an expat?

Cheers again

V

flywestjetcr
6th Nov 2006, 03:02
I've only met a few expats. A kiwi, an aussie, a brit and a russian....So expats are not as common as they might be in asia. I don't believe companys in Canada are adverse as long as you hold the right to work here, have the qualifications, and at the end of the day have the right attitude(ie good guy to work with) you'll get the job. Best o luck !!

flynfiddle
14th Nov 2006, 23:56
But isn't 1000 hours of instructing merely an hour 1000 times?? :ugh:

Chuck Ellsworth
15th Nov 2006, 00:57
V :

A thousand hours of single engine charter is a lot of time.
Aviation generally puts far to much importance on hours, some pilots are very skilled at 1000 hours and some are lucky to stay alive each flight.

So if you can show that not only can you fly safely but you can think clearly and work in the best intrest of an employer your thousand hours are plenty.

All the best. :ok:

Chuck E.

pumping iron
15th Nov 2006, 06:13
Hi Everyone!!! am a new member in this forum and dont know anybody yet, can somebody please tell me if pacific flying club is a reputable flight training institute (located in boundary bay airport in delta bc)???

Am going for my PPL this march on this school and come back to singapore, but after a few months i will come back again to complete my CPL and IFR and hopefully gets an instructor job. Does the flight school you've attended to makes a big influence from getting a job in canada?

For all of you who have time, i hope you'll spend even a minute to attend to my queries... Thanks a lot...:)

VeRmiLLioN
15th Nov 2006, 18:06
But isn't 1000 hours of instructing merely an hour 1000 times?? :ugh:

...with a lot of take-off and landings.

Time is time. Except for turbine/Piston time.

Chuck Ellsworth
15th Nov 2006, 20:08
" Time is time. Except for turbine/Piston time. "

What exactly do you mean?

Is there some magic between the two besides the fact that turbines are more simple to start and manage? :confused:

sepia
16th Nov 2006, 16:07
the turbine tents to be bolted onto an aircraft with more complex systems.

Chuck Ellsworth
16th Nov 2006, 16:38
So am I to understand that the Super Connie was less complex from a crew operating standpoint than say an A330?

sepia
16th Nov 2006, 19:42
The pistion time in question wouldn't be on radials so your point is moot. The aircraft that currently fly that do use radials are about as easy to operate as they come. Beavers and Otters don't exactly have the same complexity as a PC-12.

Chuck Ellsworth
16th Nov 2006, 20:05
You are correct Sepia, there is definately a big difference between a piston engine Beaver / Otter and a PC12 not only in how they fly but the environment they fly in.

Having agreed with that would you not agree that a good pilot with 1000 hours could easily fly either type, piston or turbine?

After all none of them are really all that difficult to operate, hell there are heavy construction machines such as an excavator that require far more dexterity to operate properly than these basic flying machines.

So back to the 1000 hour thing, I think that is a lot of time to become a good pilot.

sepia
16th Nov 2006, 20:14
I don't think you could be a PC-12 captain with 1000hrs. Most companies are asking for 2500hrs with 1000PIC, which seems a bit excessive. 1000hrs wouldn't give you the experience base to deal with icing, gravel strips, high density IFR, etc that a PC-12 captain would have to deal with. I think 1500-2000hrs with a very solid experience background would be about as low as you could reasonably go on a PC-12 in Canada.

Chuck Ellsworth
16th Nov 2006, 20:43
Well I guess I have lost touch with aviation and what it takes to fly something like a PC12.

I used to think that someone like the guy who started this thread that has 1000 hours mostly single engine charter would have no problem with a PC12, but I guess the world has changed and they are making modern aircraft far more difficult for pilots to fly.

But I really am interested in what others think about this business, sure I can see where Canada would have climatic and terrain differences that can be more demanding than a lot of other countries but I don't see where Canada would be all that more different as far as high density IFR goes.

Then again like I have said before we all have different levels of what we feel is difficult and the safest pilots are those who know their limitations.

Incidently just for curiositys sake Sepia where would you put aerial application on the difficulty to do scale with relation to flying IFR in a turbine?

sepia
16th Nov 2006, 20:58
I've never flown a spray plane so I couldn't comment. A PC-12 has identical performace numbers as a king air 200. Surely you don't think it's a good Idea to have a king air 200 captain with 1000hrs?

Chuck Ellsworth
16th Nov 2006, 21:14
" Surely you don't think it's a good Idea to have a king air 200 captain with 1000hrs? "

That would all depend on the pilot and his/her training and type of flying they did during that 1000 hours.

If any pilot can not learn to fly a KA 200 or any other airplane of that type in a thousand hours they are in the wrong business.

As far as ag work goes it takes far more airplane handling skills than flying a small turbine IFR being led by the hand by ATC most of the time, or watching the thing fly its self on auto pilot.

And it does not take 1000 hours TT to fly ag work.

It is really interesting the different ideas we have about flying, sometimes I wonder how it became so difficult over the past several decades.

sepia
16th Nov 2006, 21:23
Chuck, it's not the flying that's difficult, it's the decision making. Solid decision making relies very heavily upon ones experience base. Someone with 1000hrs hasn't been there and seen that to the degree that they're able to safely fly a king air 200 in a typical canadian usage.

flynfiddle
16th Nov 2006, 21:25
Funny story .. I was having a conversation with a former co-worker, we were discussing profile decents used for the Curtiss C46, a 3000 hour flight instructor butts into the conversation with "there is a much better way to figure out profile descent, here's what I use on the 172 ...". Gimme a break! We couldn't help but laugh til it hurt.

Chuck Ellsworth
16th Nov 2006, 21:34
O.K. sepia I give up, you guys in Canada need lots of time to learn to make good decisions to fly a turbine so I guess I might as well just shrug my shoulders and accept the fact that aviation has become far to complex for me to understand.

You be careful out there cause you might not be as lucky as my generation who did not have proper training on how to think. :ok:

So lets let this one rest as we are just to far apart on this thing. :ugh:

sepia
16th Nov 2006, 21:43
O.K. sepia I give up, you guys in Canada need lots of time to learn to make good decisions to fly a turbine so I guess I might as well just shrug my shoulders and accept the fact that aviation has become far to complex for me to understand.

Great, glad you've seen the light.

:)

Chuck Ellsworth
16th Nov 2006, 21:59
Yeh, I guess I have finally seen the light sepia, to bad I didn't know all this stuff back in the early seventies when I first started to fly turbine airplanes and helicopters, I may not be very smart sepia, but you gotta admit I've been lucky to have survived. :E

It has been wonderful to take a vacation from aviation, unfortunately I will still have to do a few more hours before I can quit forever.

Commuting from Canada to Europe and Africa and all the other corners of the globe for the last ten years is getting to be more than I care to put up with especially all the madness since 911.

I can't count the number of times I have longed for the relatively safe and easy flying in Canada over the past decade dealing with things weather wise that Canada never sees such as the Sand storms of Africa and the ITCZ alll around the world with real thnderstorms and generally little or no weather information.

IFR in Canada is childs play compared to dealing with dozens of language problems and the lack of nav aids and communication common in third world countries. Not to mention the real risk of getting your ass shot off in many of the countries we have been flying in.

Anyhow I ain't done yet as there is still a few hours left in this old dog.

By the way I did have to comply with all the human factors, PDM, CRM and all that stuff in Europe over the past years so I do have a bit of insite into new age flying...So I'm betting that all that how to think training combined with the horse shoe I have up my ass I'm almost as safe as todays pilots.

Chuck

TB9
16th Nov 2006, 22:10
:D :D :D :D Yeh, I guess I have finally seen the light sepia, to bad I didn't know all this stuff back in the early seventies when I first started to fly turbine airplanes and helicopters, I may not be very smart sepia, but you gotta admit I've been lucky to have survived. :E

Golden Flyer
16th Nov 2006, 23:31
Chuck...Check Your PM's

2R
26th Nov 2006, 17:24
It is always better to be lucky than good.Many a good pilot has gotten unlucky and met an early end.
The harder i work the luckier i get :} :}

You do not need a lot of time to fly an airplane only the right training ,and if you follow the rules they will keep you safe so you can live to enjoy more flying.I have flown with some high time idiots and some low time pilots who showed me that the correct training is more important than a thick log book.

Chuck Ellsworth
26th Nov 2006, 19:22
A couple more comments on this time thing.

There is no doubt that proper training by a teacher who was properly trained and has the experience and airmanship to give proper training is essential, however some learn and retain better than others.

An idiot with training will always be accident prone.

An idiot trained by a teacher lacking in the ability to teach and lacking in flying skills and airmanship just makes for a more problimatic idiot.

Personally I believe that a lot of the problems with poor flight instruction is due to the lack of experience and flying skills by many flight instructors.

You generally get what you pay for.

Chuck E.

Springbok 3
6th Dec 2006, 14:47
I tend to agree with Chuck. What is this big deal about the complexity of turbine operation....it is absolute nonsense. We are talking about piloting skills here and @1000 hrs,you should by all accounts be sharp at the controls of any aircraft as long as you have done a conversion to type. It also depends on what type of flying was done for 1000 hrs. I have seen many cabbage patch flight instructors with well over 1000 hours and they are not particularly good fliers due to their lack of experience compared to 300 hr bush pilots with Cessna Caravan turbine ratings (I was one:))

The young guns tend to go ooooooh and aaaaah when they speak of advanced turbine complexity such as one would find on the PC12. Get a good pilot onto a conversion to type and get used to the high altitudes, pressurization, speed and avionics during a relatively straight forward conversion to type and away you go. A 200 hr wonderboy with good aptitude could do it.

Jump off the high horses boys, it is just another aircraft;)

And Sepia....you would do well to listen to the words of the wise...you might actually learn something instead of being so cocky and full of yourself. Guys like you will learn the hard way and end up with your head stuck up your ass!

Chuck Ellsworth
6th Dec 2006, 18:03
Springbok, an artist is judged by the quality of their paintings.

And generally you can identify a pilots background and knowledge by their posts. :E

fernytickles
7th Dec 2006, 00:59
I came and had a peek cos Chuck usually has something entertaining to say :) And you haven't let me down.

Meantime, I think something has gone awry with all the dinging and donging back and forth. "V" originally said "single pilot charter", not single engine charter, so the argument is moot. Could be single pilot jet, turbo-prop or piston operation, I guess.

Chuck Ellsworth
7th Dec 2006, 02:04
The subject of how many hours it takes to be profficient in any given airplane is always good for an entertaining discussion.

Fortunately when the western cowboys became a thing of the past there arose another hero on the horizon to take the cowboys place as a hero icon.

It is easy to see how the first pilots won the admiration of the public because they dared to go where no man had ever been, flying through the air like birds. We have to give these early aviators full credit for mastering a completely new disipline and learning how to control the early unreliable and sometimes unstable flying machines.

However to give the hero icon to todays pilots is sort of stretching things as todays aircraft are very reliable and easy to fly and navigate from place to place.

I get quite a chuckle out of how often I hear pilots thumping the mantra that it takes milleniums to master todays mostly automated flying machines.

Can someone explain how the military can train a jet fighter pilot to fly something like an F18 in several hundred hours, yet there is a mindset that someone with a thousand hours commercial flying can't fly a xxxkin turbo prop?

Anyhow I am pasting a picture of Wilbur my co-pilot, Wilbur has pretty well mastered attitudes and movements and wants to have a go at learning how to punch in an autopilot on a turbo Prop.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/ChuckEllsworth/P1010671.jpg

Now there is an example of a real pilot. :D

Chuck Ellsworth

fernytickles
7th Dec 2006, 04:04
I like the stripes! Does he wear an oversized watch too? Our co-pilot is Jenny, as in Curtis Jenny, and her best friend is GeeBee.... They haven't ventured into stripes yet, tho' they've both been flying, one in a Citabria, the other in a Pacer. And Jenny loves to watch the geese and the aeroplanes flying overhead.

I think the first pilots to grace the skies really were heroes. Their chances of survival were not great, yet they still went back up for more. Nowadays, tho' the accident rate is always too high, the chances of survival and the availability of aircraft makes flying a much more everyday thing to do.

In the same time it took me to do 1000 hours in a 152/172, my cousin did 400 hours in a Tornado. Ever so slightly more expensive, therefore every second of every hour flown was extremely intense. Well, thats what he told me, anyway.....

Flyer 1492
7th Dec 2006, 05:06
Chuck,

The training is secondary to the attitude of the person receiving the training.
The old adage is true, There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but no old and bold pilots.

Flyer

Springbok 3
7th Dec 2006, 18:25
Springbok, an artist is judged by the quality of their paintings.

And generally you can identify a pilots background and knowledge by their posts. :E

And you and I have seen our fair share of "bad artists" on other sites, have we not.

"V"
8th Dec 2006, 20:07
Hi folks,

in calgarry at the moment, anyone i should drop a line??
can you use a US license in canada? i'm booked in for my IR in Seattle during Jan.

Cheers for all the replies so far guys.

V

altiplano
14th Dec 2006, 03:09
V

FAA won't get you anywhere in Canada. But if you're in YYC and looking I would go check a few...

Kenn Borek, North Cariboo, Sunwest, Bar XH are hiring regularly right now for all types. Lots of oil patch charter work out of YYC now... Pretty much every operator in Alberta is looking for guys. Try AltaFlights, Swanberg and Dynamic too. If you head into Northern AB you could try Peace Air, Northern Air, Central AB Airways and more.

But again - you are not going to get hired at any of these spots without a Canadian CPL/IFR and the right to live/workin Canada. But you could g take a look and see if someone will talk to you...

Cat -

I agree with your comments.

Sepia -

What is your background? were you made to feel little as a co-pilot by your captain and now feel somehow special that you got an upgrade?

PC12 have got to be the simplest airplane out there - auto everything and you don't even have to do a V1 cut during your ride! Use the checklist and let the thing fly itself!

As for high density IFR ops - personally I had the radio thing worked out pretty well by the time my CPL/MIFR was done and never had much of a problem liasing with ATC - I don't think it would be too difficult for someone with 1000 hrs to manage... Maybe you had a tough time? Or maybe it falls back to your self esteem issues?:{

"V"
14th Dec 2006, 04:23
altiplano,

cheers for the info on YYC. anywhere you'd recommend for the conversion to Canadian? is there much involved to convert?

cheers!

V

airtids
14th Dec 2006, 05:40
Sepia -
What is your background? were you made to feel little as a co-pilot by your captain and now feel somehow special that you got an upgrade?
PC12 have got to be the simplest airplane out there - auto everything and you don't even have to do a V1 cut during your ride! Use the checklist and let the thing fly itself!
As for high density IFR ops - personally I had the radio thing worked out pretty well by the time my CPL/MIFR was done and never had much of a problem liasing with ATC - I don't think it would be too difficult for someone with 1000 hrs to manage... Maybe you had a tough time? Or maybe it falls back to your self esteem issues?:{
Now, altiplano, settle down. This isn't Avcanada, you know. Things are done differently over here at Pprune. You're amongst professionals. Regardless how much we may agree with you.:=

altiplano
14th Dec 2006, 06:18
Now, altiplano, settle down. This isn't Avcanada, you know. Things are done differently over here at Pprune. You're amongst professionals. Regardless how much we may agree with you.:=

Sorry tids -

I thought I was toning it down...

:ugh:

4Screwaircrew
14th Dec 2006, 09:00
It's interesting to see how things change around the world and how they change with time, an old colleague in the UK in the late 1980's went straight from completeing his CPL/IR onto a EMB 110 single pilot mainly night freight. he had less than 800 hours total time mainly on piston singles.
The company he flew for operated a fleet of these and Kingairs 90 + 200, many pilots joined this sort of operation and it was considered normal as a starting job in the industry. Now these machines are flown with 2 pilots, and we have guys with 200 hours in the right seat of the 737, our industry is different to that in many parts of the world, the single engine work is minimal, no bush flying. Many people have problems with the concept of the low time pilots flying jets without thousands of hours in GA machines, but it works and they are easier to train than the guys with lots of habits picked up over the years, starting with a blank canvas so to speak.

Good luck in finding a job V

JoeCo
14th Dec 2006, 20:43
Does V1 even exit on a single?

I've found the trick isnt how to fly it, its how to operate it.

Chuck, as always, enlightening. Nice stripes!! I see Wilbur has been upgraded. ;-)

Chuck Ellsworth
14th Dec 2006, 21:17
Actually Wilbur was down graded, when we first got him he was a dog, then through osmosis and flying with me he got it into his head he wanted to be a pilot.

Missing in that picture is his TC Security ID card, actually it is one of mine and I laminated Wilburs picture over mine but when that picture was taken we couldn't find it.....so I went and made him up a brand new one cloned from a TCCA inspectors ID, but he won't wear it.

Fortunately we found his own again so if anyone wants to see him in all his aviator splendor I can maybe offer him a bitch in heat ( Appeal to the pilot in him. ) to get him to pose again. :E

Chuck E.

JoeCo
14th Dec 2006, 21:35
TOO FUNNY!!!

You obvious must be in between rotations!

Chuck Ellsworth
14th Dec 2006, 22:23
Actually I retired from flying on April 29 of this year.

Have not even sat in an airplane since.

But Wilbur helps me in the garage building my new Cub and he can't wait to get the thing flying.....

...if you ever get a dog be careful what you teach them. :E

armada
16th Dec 2006, 18:28
http://www.airgeorgiancareers.com/

Position: Pilots
Description: Flying C208 Caravan. Destinations within Canada and United States.
Hour Requirements: 1000 hrs total time, 25 hrs Multi, Group 1 IFR

"V"
17th Dec 2006, 19:42
thanks alot armada,

the application is away!

armada
18th Dec 2006, 17:32
Doesn't GGN F/O start around 16k per annum or something? :}

Air Addict
20th Dec 2006, 09:43
Check your PM`s