PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical and Diabetes

CGDVS
21st Oct 2006, 09:54
I was hoping if anyone has some medical knowledge on keeping a class 1 medical whilst diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Questions I have are:
1. What is the tolereance of blood sugar levels is millimoles (mmol/L)
2. Types of medication allowed?
Any other info would be appriciated!

kui2324
21st Oct 2006, 19:15
I understand that HBA1c levels (glycosylated haemoglobin) below 7 is what the CAA are looking for. This is an average of your blood sugar over the previous 10-12 weeks. Although your own blood glucose measurements will give you an indication of how you are doing.

If on medication there are two which could possibly allow you to continue flying, albeit with an OML restriction, these are Metformin and Acarbose. Although they aren't suitable for everyone with Type 2 diabetes.

The bottom line is that if the control of your diabetes is acceptable to the CAA with whatever medication is thought to be best for you, with no side effects, and no complications then you could possibly keep your Class 1.

HTH

Wint
11th Nov 2006, 08:48
The recent advice to me from a CAA Medical Examiner, who also consulted colleagues, was that they would only accept the medication Rosiglitazone for a class one medical and that Metformin (which to me is transparent - that is to say I can feel no side effects and it controls my condition fully) is not acceptable.

I now have an NPPL, it hurts to pay for flying after 25 years of being payed!

Good luck.

kui2324
12th Nov 2006, 13:27
That's strange, but the rules may well have changed recently. I had a Class 2 medical and was on Metformin. I was told that I could get a Class 1 but that it would also have an OML restriction on it. At the time I was wanting to instruct so actually it didn't make sense to go for the Class 1 as I could still instruct with my Class 2 as a PPL and not get paid.

kui

eastern wiseguy
12th Nov 2006, 17:00
Metformin (which to me is transparent - that is to say I can feel no side effects and it controls my condition fully) is not acceptable.

Well thats news to me...I have type two controlled by diet and Metformin...I am an ATCO so things may be different but I am a Class 1 holder. I do have to go once a year for a stress test on the treadmill at Gatwick over and above the yearly(for controllers) Class1 and associated ECG. I had my renewal a few weeks back and the blood sugars have been hanging around 7.5 -8.0...lower after fasting.

Regards

EW