PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 ATC Medicals

CGDVS
21st Oct 2006, 09:41
I was hoping someone can shed some light on Diabetes. I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and as a result my medical had been revoked until I have certain test done for the CAA. As usual it is a long winded process and by the time I get my medical it would have been atleast 2 months since I last controlled. Is there anyway of obtaining a dispensation to control while another ATCO is in close proximity to take over if needed? If anyone knows or can help me in this matter, I would most grateful!:confused:

21st Oct 2006, 10:36
If your medical is revoked then it is revoked........licence invalid. Full Stop.
Several cases similar over the years. One case of the big "D" caught one guy just a few days before annual LCC, which then expired; complete re-validation from scratch was needed.....board, practical..everything. Don't book a medical until after LCE would seem to be reasonable advice [this assumes that the 90-day rule is not a factor].
Another case involved a return-to-work after illness just 24 hours [one day]after expiry of 90 day period........complete validation required again. Same controller re-validates and unfortunately goes sick again. On return to work is then promoted to post where validation is not required. This is not as gross as it sounds......in NATS if you lose your licence wholly/partly/temporarily you will be given a non-operational job which then places you in an ideal position for promotion. The worst career move you can make in NATS is to never go sick and just get on with your job keeping your nose clean.
A useful dodge for controllers on maternity leave is to pop in to work for a few hours part way through the absence to keep the ticket warm, and thereby circumventing the draconian rules with a little common sense application.

niknak
21st Oct 2006, 17:15
Its a long process but not the end of the world, check your PMs ASAP. :cool: