PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Fly in Norfolk

Norfolk Newbie
20th Oct 2006, 16:30
Hi All,

I've been lurking around the forums here for a while, there seems to be a good deal of information and lively comment!

At the grand old age of 33, I have decided that I'm going to start flying lessons next year once we're out of the winter proper (e.g. April / May). I have a tiny amount of experience - a bit of cadet flying years ago and a relatively recent 1 hour trial lesson out of Old Buckenham.

Now the question is, where should I learn to fly... Somewhere based at Norwich Airport would be convient (I live in central Norwich) and the R/T would be much busier (something I think would be good experience), or should I go to one of the smaller airfields (Old Buckenham for instance) that may provide other benefits?

I would love to hear any suggestions, personal experiences / recommendations for flying tuition in Norfolk as if I'm spending around £6K I want to make sure I get the best experience and have the best time possible.

Thanks for your help!

Cusco
21st Oct 2006, 00:15
For starters, Norwich have just shoved up their landing and handling fees so unless the flying schools have negotiated some kind of deal this will cost you dear.
In addition there are moves afoot to create a class D around Norwich to encourage the commercials so you may well find yourself at the hold for half your expensive slot waiting for commercials/helos to get airborne.(They will get preference for good commercial reasons)
This is a no brainer - get on the phone, ring Old Buck and talk to CFI Gerry Honey.
20 mins down the A11, you know it makes sense.
Oh yes I know Old Buck well, Oh no I have no commercial interests:=
Safe flying
Cusco:rolleyes:

Lister Noble
21st Oct 2006, 06:58
I started to learn to fly last year and got my licence in May this year.
I checked out four schools in Norfolk before choosing Old Buck, as they seemed the most professional and really interested in me as a student,not just an earner!
I've never regretted my choice,Gerry is brilliant, as are the other instructors,good aircraft and a ground school as well.
Lister:)

Norfolk Newbie
21st Oct 2006, 11:16
Thanks guys... That seems to give old buck a 100% rating! :)

I must admit I had a thoroughly enjoyable time there on my trial flight - everyone definately seemed friendly...

Time to do some phoning then....

Thanks again

stiknruda
21st Oct 2006, 12:52
I'll be there later this afternoon in a plain white six seat single. Come and say hi if you are there.

Stik

Norfolk Newbie
21st Oct 2006, 13:08
I'll be there later this afternoon in a plain white six seat single. Come and say hi if you are there.

Stik,

Thanks for the offer but I'm leaving for a weeks (well deserved) holiday in about 1/2 hour, but I'll definately come down and say hello once I'm back...

stiknruda
21st Oct 2006, 19:15
Newbie,

I'm not based there but I AM basing two aircraft there over winter, the Cherokee-6 and a lovely C182RG. My CPL friend and I managed to deliver the Six today and I took someone from LOOP magazine ((www.loop.aero) for a free sub) for a quick hurtle around Attleborough, Wymondham and Tacolneston. New three blade Hartzell Scimitar prop, 3 hours into engine life - so smooth.

Will take the 182 over middle of next week.

Lister - if you would like to come on the delivery flight we might have to make it last a wee bit longer than the straight line time. Complex a/c - wobbly prop, retrac. Fun toy and far more "me" than the -6.

I just love sitting behind the Singer sewing machine smoothness of a 6 cyl Lycoming, even if it only boring A-B flying!:ok:

Stik

Cusco
22nd Oct 2006, 02:16
Newbie,
I'm not based there but I AM basing two aircraft there over winter, the Cherokee-6 and a lovely C182RG. My CPL friend and I managed to deliver the Six today and I took someone from LOOP magazine ((www.loop.aero) for a free sub) for a quick hurtle around Attleborough, Wymondham and Tacolneston. New three blade Hartzell Scimitar prop, 3 hours into engine life - so smooth.
Will take the 182 over middle of next week.
Lister - if you would like to come on the delivery flight we might have to make it last a wee bit longer than the straight line time. Complex a/c - wobbly prop, retrac. Fun toy and far more "me" than the -6.
I just love sitting behind the Singer sewing machine smoothness of a 6 cyl Lycoming, even if it only boring A-B flying!:ok:
Stik
C'mon Stik,
Where's my offer for a jolly in the two hole Pitts?
Cheers
Cusco:rolleyes:

Lister Noble
22nd Oct 2006, 07:38
Newbie,

Lister - if you would like to come on the delivery flight we might have to make it last a wee bit longer than the straight line time. Stik

Stik,will give you a call,I'm free most of next week.
Had a great local flight in the L4 yesterday,first time I've been out of circuits on my own.
Will drop in as soon as I have a few more hours.

Newbie you won't regret choosing Old Buck
Lister:)

stiknruda
22nd Oct 2006, 08:51
Cusco - you are welcome any time dear chap, but if you wait a couple of weeks I can do it in an EAgle II - far more comfortable and ingress is easier. The aeros (that we'll be doing!) are pretty much the same!

Zulu Alpha
19th Nov 2006, 19:09
Let me know when you're going and I'll come and take some photos.

ZA

Cusco
19th Nov 2006, 21:43
Cusco - you are welcome any time dear chap, but if you wait a couple of weeks I can do it in an EAgle II - far more comfortable and ingress is easier. The aeros (that we'll be doing!) are pretty much the same!
Stik?
Cheely s*d ! : I've lost 2 stone since we last met (Popham)
Cusco.:rolleyes:

Norfolk Newbie
20th Nov 2006, 11:10
As this thread has popped up again, I thought I just say that I went to Old Buck yesterday and met Gerry. Had a really good chat and it looks like I'll be starting my lessons come January - I can't wait!

Thanks for the advice!

Now time to book my medical!