PDA

View Full Version : International Day of the Controller

makeapullup
20th Oct 2006, 09:23
Happy happy, take the afternoon off!!
http://www.ifatca.org/press/191005.pdf

Radarspod
20th Oct 2006, 12:02
There appears to be a fatal flaw in their plan - i don't see the word "annual" mentioned. Maybe it was that day in 2005 only :}

. o O ( I wonder if us engineers will ever get a day like this? :sad: )

makeapullup
20th Oct 2006, 12:50
You win. Didn't look at the date. Try this one.

INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF AIR TRAFFIC
CONTROLLERS' ASSOCIATIONS
1255 University Street, Suite 408, Montreal, Quebec H3B 3B6 CANADA
Tel: +1 514 866 7040, Fax: +1 514 866 7612, e-mail: [email protected]
October 2006
PRESS RELEASE
INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
On October 20, 2006, air traffic controllers around the world will observe the International Day of
the Controller. IFATCA, the International Federation of Air Traffic Controllers’ Associations,
which was formed on this day forty four years earlier in The Netherlands, has designated this
“Day of the Controller” in recognition of the air traffic control profession and its considerable
contribution to the development of the air transport industry. Worldwide celebrations will be held
on this day to recognise air traffic controllers; of whom more than 50,000 make up the IFATCA
membership.
For the theme of this year’s celebrations IFATCA has chosen “Security Threats on Air Travel –
Safety Assurance Always Provided by the Air Traffic Controllers”.
In today’s aviation world, unprecedented security and safety delays are an ever-present cause
of concern for the traveling public. However amid this confusion there is a constant presence - a
reassuring element working behind the scenes to maintain the highest levels of safety
assurance to the flying public. This is the Air Traffic Controller.
Air traffic Controllers are on the job twenty-four/seven across the globe working tirelessly behind
the scenes to enable airlines to meet passenger requirements and to ensure a safe and
uneventful flight for all passengers. The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) has
chosen the topic Safety and Security for its celebration of International Aviation Day. The 135
Member Associations of IFATCA will honor this theme as they celebrate the role of the
controller in the safety chain, during celebrations on the 20th of October.
On this “Day of the Controller” The International Federation of Air Traffic Controllers’
Associations reiterates its pledge to continue to do its part to ensure that international aviation is
as safe and efficient as it can be. October 20 celebrations will re-kindle the sense of pride in
controllers everywhere, and acknowledge accomplishments of the past, challenges of the
future, and the increasingly important role controllers continue to play.
IFATCA is the worldwide Federation of air traffic controllers with more than fifty
thousand members representing 135 countries. Among its goals are the promotion of
safety, efficiency and regularity in International air navigation, and the protection and
safeguarding of the interests of the air traffic control profession.
www.ifatca.org

loubylou
20th Oct 2006, 19:29
I should've put it on the ATIS today - might have made the crews play nice, listen out on the freq and generally drop the sarcastisic and grumpy manner that was prevalent today!!!

louby

Frunobulax
21st Oct 2006, 06:30
Oh, if you had a job that ANYONE can do (I mean pilot) you'd be frustrated too ;)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Oct 2006, 08:19
<<celebrations will be held on this day to recognise air traffic controllers;>>

Through GATCO, I am a member of IFATCA but having read this nonsense I'm almost ashamed to admit it. What sort of banana dreams up this tripe? How many operational ATCOs will be participating in the "celebrations"? Please post details on here....