PDA

View Full Version : ME training question in USA

acuba 290
20th Oct 2006, 00:34
i have a JAA-PPL and going to get FAA-PPL based on JAA in USA. Is it possible to get a ME lesson with instructor , 1-2 hours in USA, just for fun as PUT? I just see prices for ME in USA....;)

Do i need TSA or Visa for this flight?

B2N2
20th Oct 2006, 12:43
No Visa or TSA required for intro flights or demo flights.
Only if you are training for a license or rating.
Just let the fligh school/FBO clearly know that for now you are not interested in a ME rating for now. You are just orienting yourself.
Word of caution; flying a multi engine is very, very addicting....:}
The first time that you push TWO throttles up and accelerate down the runway is almost as memorable as your first solo.

Julian
20th Oct 2006, 12:59
Word of caution; flying a multi engine is very, very addicting....
The first time that you push TWO throttles up and accelerate down the runway is almost as memorable as your first solo.

I'd second that! First time I flew an ME when I did my ME, in a turbocharged Seneca II, I was that taken back with the acceleration difference that I almost forgot what I was doing!!! :} :} :}

acuba 290
20th Oct 2006, 13:04

wow, i would love to get this feeling again;)

IO540
20th Oct 2006, 16:17
My first solo was in a knackered Tomahawk, which I was happy to fly on the basis that since I was in it less than 5% of the time if it fell apart it was 95% likely to do it with somebody else.

I did all of my PPL training on that basis.

And I wouldn't do any of it again, even if you paid me for it :)

Not sure why a twin would be particularly addictive. A half decent piston tourer (say 250HP+) is just as quick and probably quicker getting off the runway, and no worse after that. And you are doing that on about 60% of the fuel.

If I was after reliability, I'd buy a single turboprop. As one owner told me "there is only one thing better than a PT6 and that is having two of them" :)

englishal
20th Oct 2006, 16:29
Ah ME flying is far better. For a start, no right rudder needed :) (can be a bit of a dance on the pedals if one turbo kicks in before the other mind) No propeller in front of you, nicer sound, bigger inside. Take a seneca II with short field take off flap.....goes up like a bleeding helicopter!

I can't afford it in Blighty, and over here IO is right. But I'm off to the states in a few weeks for 2 weeks of solid ME flying at the cost of $220 per hour.....;)

Fuji Abound
20th Oct 2006, 16:55
"Ah ME flying is far better."

There is something about two engines over the sea, at night, in rough terrain, or with a fog below that even a single PT6 cant compete with, or maybe I am just getting too old. :)

S-Works
20th Oct 2006, 18:45
Not to mention we look far more atractive when playing with big boys toys. SEP is for the "norms" MEP means you have truly arrived...... :p

IO540
20th Oct 2006, 21:27
Fuji - you are statistically about 1 order of magnitude more likely to go down flying behind two piston engines than flying behind a single turbine.

Bose - you are going to pull a far classier bird with a nice pressurised turboprop than with the typical knackered old twin ;)

Fuji Abound
21st Oct 2006, 07:51
IO540

True - statistically - but for different reasons and in different circumstances.

Many accidents could be avoided by correct training.

There is one unavoidable truth though - with one engine, whatever it is, when it quits gravity is going to win.

As I said earlier for missions over water, rough train, or fog, that may be sufficient reason to fly a MEP.

S-Works
21st Oct 2006, 08:14
Fuji - you are statistically about 1 order of magnitude more likely to go down flying behind two piston engines than flying behind a single turbine.

Bose - you are going to pull a far classier bird with a nice pressurised turboprop than with the typical knackered old twin ;)

Hey my wife is classy!!! :p Her Jimmy Choo obsession is apparantly proof.....

B2N2
21st Oct 2006, 12:27
.... than with the typical knackered old twin

Not if you fly one of these.....like I do..:}

http://www.diamondair.se/images/da42.jpg

http://www.diamondair.com/images/aircrafts/da42_ts-2.jpg

fescalised portion
22nd Oct 2006, 15:55
Hey B2N2 !

What happened to the Aztec. Did they get rid of it ?

B2N2
23rd Oct 2006, 20:34
Yep, Cessna's gone too, have a look at the website....:ok: