View Full Version : Gear Chime?

FLCH-SPD
18th Oct 2006, 23:44
I've noticed on some aircraft that selecting the gear handle up or down produces an audible chime in the cabin. What is the purpose of this? Thanks!

fixitor...
19th Oct 2006, 01:52
If I recall my memory and if I'm not wrong when both "FASTEN SEAT BELT" & "NO SMOKING" sings switched in the cockpit to Auto then when the aircraft airborns and when crew selects the landing gear up the
"NO SMOKING" sign goes off with the sound of chime and once they select flaps up "cleare config" the "FASTEN SEAT BELT" goes off with sound of chime.
Now for landing vis versa flaps down "FASTEN SEAT BELT" comes on with the chime and when landing gear are selected down "NO SMOKING" comes on with chime.
Hope it is clear.:sad:

sevenforeseven
19th Oct 2006, 07:13
I know that the Airbus A340-300/600 do this. When the landing gear is selected up or down a chime is heard in the cabin. This chime if you notice coincides with the illumination of the "EXIT" signs next to main entry doors, illuminated when the gear selection is down and off when selection is up (no need for them then).

I do believe that this acts as a indicator for the flight attendents of the sreviceability of the emergency ligting system as unlike most other aircraft the pathway lighting is not switched on for demonstration during passenger briefing for passengers.

Sorry for spelling, just going to bed after 19 hrs.:ooh:

FLCH-SPD
19th Oct 2006, 09:23
I'm not sure that it's related to the auto function of the passenger signs? For example, on the 744, with no smoking and fasten belts set to ON, the chime is still heard when the gear is selected down. Is it used to notify the cabin crew of something?

Denti
19th Oct 2006, 19:02
Dunno about others, in our company it is SOP to generate a chime for the cabin crew when selecting the gear down, this is done manually however by switching passenger sign switches to off/auto and back to on in one go. We do not use the auto function for seat belts or smoking signs. Oh, thats all in the 737 classic.