PDA

View Full Version : Argentinas Aerolineas 707's at Heathrow in the late 1970's

al20a
18th Oct 2006, 16:42
Hi,
This is a question to anyone who worked in HeathrowAirports Air Traffic Control in the late 1970's. I know its a long time ago, but its one of those niggling question that's driving me mad.
Where Argentinas Aerolineas aircraft missed out of the ATC records for some reason back in the late 1970's at Heathrow. The falkland war was in the early 1980's, so this counts that out.
You see I am more than sure I saw some Argentinas Aerolineas 707's on some Sundays in the late 1970's, these are the dates all Sundays 31/7/77, 3/9/78 and 15/10/78.
When I tracked down the ATC records from SURREY HISTORY CENTRE, they where missing out of the records. Looking at two Heathrow schedules books I've got from 1977 and 1978 by R King of Heathrow movements. In the 1977 book he has a 707 arriving at 1325 on a Sunday from Amsterdam as AR138 and in 1978's book arriving at 1505 as AR134 back on those Sundays.
Can anyone explain this anomally.

Thanks ( scratching my head in puzzlement?)
Albert

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Oct 2006, 20:14
I worked in ATC from January 1972 for 21 years and AA sporadically operated into Heathrow during that period, but not continuously. There were several periods of many months, even years, when I believe they did not operate, or operated in association with other airlines (Iberia?).

Someone is bound to come up with a definitive answer, but rest assured that nothing untoward occurred with the movement logs.

al20a
19th Oct 2006, 06:38
Thank you Sir for your reply,
I apologise to everyone if you may of thought my question was to say something untoward occurred with the movement logs at Heathrow. That was not my line of thinking at all and again I apologise.
What I was trying to find out is what you discribed, they might of '' operated in association with other airlines maybe (Iberia?)''. This is what I thought might be the answer to my question, but I thought the guys and girls at the ATC might know the difinitive answer.
Like you say someone somewhere will hopefully come up with an answer. It might be in the end my memory is play up and the records are right and they weren't in on those days. after all.

Albert

Noddys car
17th Sep 2008, 11:32
For both August 24th and December 26th I noted two different Aerolinias 707s in LHR

LV-JGR 24/08 LV-ISB 26/12

al20a
17th Sep 2008, 14:14
Thanks for the reply,
Wow! people still reading my request two years on. Still scratching my head over this one, no wonder I now look like friar took.
I went to Amsterdam in the summer for the first time,there viewing deck reminded me of the viewing deck on the Queens Building at Heathrow in the late 70's and 80's. It brought back fond memory's from those time a very enjoyable trip.