PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to get a 'normal' Christmas job?

Jinkster
17th Oct 2006, 10:12
Anyone going to get a 'normal' Christmas job?

I myself am going to call my last place of employment (Argos) and work part-time over Christmas both instructing and 'working'.

Does anyone do the same?

Esperanza
17th Oct 2006, 13:47
Hi Jinkster. From my own experiences I've always found the Christmas period to be a bit of a non-starter regarding instruction. Naturally people tend to spend the weeks surrounding Christmas (whether they want to or not) with family and friends.
My solution is to take a week or so off work and get paid regardless (holiday pay). All very civilised. :)

Jinkster
17th Oct 2006, 14:49
The school I work at pays by the flying hour (so no paid holiday for me). Will have to find a usual job to help along....

Jinkster

Esperanza
17th Oct 2006, 15:14
I also get paid by the hour. Being employed (rather than self employed) by the company that I work for I'm entitled by law to holiday pay.
If you're not self employed then I suggest that you have a look on the DTI website for information regarding this matter. Basically, to work out a daily rate of holiday pay you just need to look at your daily average over the preceding 12 weeks. It's all on the website. Unfortunately an awful lot of employers either try to ignore or aren't aware of this law (my own included until I informed him of the situation).

Jinkster
17th Oct 2006, 15:30
Self employed - so ho ho ho christmas job......

VFE
17th Oct 2006, 15:32
I shall probably cut back to part time instructing soon and get a part time proper job until the springtime. Sucks majorly but hey, what can ya do?!

VFE.

Kanu
30th Oct 2006, 18:31
Self employed - so ho ho ho christmas job......

check pm's jinkster

ta