PDA

View Full Version : Handguns for flight crew?

cojones
25th Sep 2001, 16:23
CNN is reporting that a "major airline union" is backing calls for flight crews to be issued with handguns to be carried on the flight deck. Your views would make interesting reading.
Mine, for what they're worth, are that it would be far too dangerous. Firearm training is a serious business, and crews would clearly have to undergo a prolonged training and certification program. The first officer would, more than likely, be the crew member who could get the better shot - assuming both crew are right-handed. The seated position, facing 180º from the intended line of fire, is difficult. Would the first officer have to obtain the captain's permission before taking the shot? Or could he act on his own initiative? Not a lot of thinking time, don't forget. You must shoot to kill. You might not get the second chance. Where are you going to aim? You miss; the hijacker(s) wrests the weapon from your hand. Bang Bang - you're dead - sorry.
Not a good idea in my view. I'd take my chances with a few Todd Beamers rather than a literally lose cannon.

Errr... cojones, there is already a thread 2 pages long on this topic. See
ALPA to Ask for Cockpit Guns - CNN (http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=015747). Please try and keep the number of threads down!

[ 25 September 2001: Message edited by: Capt PPRuNe ]