PDA

View Full Version : Fly by light

Re-entry
15th Oct 2006, 23:00
The UK govt. has funded research by Roger Shawyer to develop an electromagnetic drive. Microwaves trapped inside an ice-cream cone shaped cavity resonate and exert a greater force on the larger end than the small, due to radiation pressure and relativistic effects. It just needs a power supply for the magnetron, but has no moving parts or fuel. Apparently it works, and has produced thrust 100 times greater than what Cosmos 1 could achieve. The USAF and NASA are interested. At the moment, it is only suitable for spacecraft propulsion as a replacement for the ion drive ( of Dr. Spock fame!) By using superconducting materials for the cavity, however, the thrust could be dramatically increased and used for terrestrial purposes, e.g. powered flight.

Re-entry
16th Oct 2006, 16:20
Refer 'New Scientist' issue 2568 09/09/06. This is not bu@@sh@t.

HS125
16th Oct 2006, 16:38
is not bu@@sh@t.

I think the man's right there. Providing Im barking up the right tree, I saw on TV some years ago a working demonstration,As I recall, a small cone shaped 'device' was propelled, quite quickly, vertically up a string.

Max Angle
16th Oct 2006, 16:54
The UK govt. has funded researchThat's even more amazing than the invention itself.

cwatters
16th Oct 2006, 18:51
I read the story in NS. Apparently it's capable of generating very high thrust forces per watt (per horsepower if you prefer). The problem is it can't maintain those forces when moving. In other words it might be great as a replacement for a helicopter rotor or to make a kind of hover craft or perhaps even to replace wings... but perhaps not for generating the forward thrust needed to propel an airplane. I believe they said the power drains off quickly as it starts to move.