PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Colour for Emergency Vehicles

Milt
13th Oct 2006, 23:31
Is there a better colour for airfield emergency/servicing vehicles than Lime Green? Used to be Red but red becomes near to invisible at night.

Scott Voigt
14th Oct 2006, 03:04
Nope, for visibility, you can't beat the glow yellow or lime green...

Tarq57
14th Oct 2006, 04:34
:} I'll bet there's been studies done that indicate lime green is the best. Yet it's amazing the way it blends into a grassy background. Personally I think white, maybe with some kind of striped or checkerboard prominent colour (red, orange, and/or green) would be attention getting, very visible, and above all, incredibly stylish.

av8boy
14th Oct 2006, 05:47
Used to have a friend who had been an engineer for Douglas at Santa Monica, but long retired. He had a C177 painted in the color which he said a Douglas study had indicated was highest-vis. And I quote: "baby-**** green."

I didn't understand that till I was a parent.

anotherthing
14th Oct 2006, 08:08
The Royal Navy conducted trials many years back to see which colour Bouyancy Compensator (Divers lifejacket) was easiest to spot in the sea, in all conditions.

The resulting colour would be worn by the very brave SAR divers and the roughty toughty Navy ships divers.

The pilots and observors of 771 SAR Sqn who conducted the trials obviously had a bit of merriment in them that day, as the divers now wear pink jackets!!

Bern Oulli
14th Oct 2006, 20:56
For those in the UK I reckon a Dynorod van beats everything for hitting you firmly in the eye. For those not in the UK it gives a whole new meaning to "shocking pink".