PDA

View Full Version : Sharja TWR

clr4takeoff
12th Oct 2006, 23:59
In anothere thread Dct no speed (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=119440) posted about Sharja :Believe me you don't want to go there!

What's wrong about this place ?
Anyone can tell ? :confused:
Second question is :
does the TWR controller also work the APPCH (vectoring a/c) ? or is it anothere controller in the ACC working the APPCH (like we have here in Canada in the TCU (terminal control unit)) ?:sad:

Dr. Evil
13th Oct 2006, 16:05
To answer your questions:

1) I know they need more atcos but have no clue whats wrong with the place. House rents are increasing constantly and road traffic is crazy. But it might be the fact that Sharjah Emirate is "dry" = no alcohol :eek:

2) Its a stand alone TWR. Radar Service done by Dubai APP.

Dct no speed
15th Oct 2006, 00:51
Hey guys, the politics in ShJ is not cool. The man in charge of the contract is one of those who use to drive a fire truck. He has no idea of ATC. The Serco management also don't seem to care about the staff leaving and the place Sharjah city is a dump. Rather consider other options like Dubai or Ras Al Khayma. Try Oman they are looking, great people, great coast!

Good luck!
:cool:

choclit runway
16th Oct 2006, 07:41
As mentioned. tower only unit.

Unpleasant tower, unpleasant airport, and from what i've heard unpleasant people and job too.

Dr. Evil
16th Oct 2006, 11:31
Let the people who works at OMSJ (or worked there) tell us what is so unpleasant about the place :*

clr4takeoff
16th Oct 2006, 12:53
:rolleyes:
Whats so heavy in OMSJ ?
People, people or both ?
Just kiding but i'd like to know what's going on there ?:}

jangler909
28th Nov 2006, 18:47
Bump.

They seem to be looking for controllers constantly. What's the salary and what's the place like for a young and single male?

bravosierra
29th Nov 2006, 14:34
Bump.
They seem to be looking for controllers constantly. What's the salary and what's the place like for a young and single male?

I worked there for a year but I will not post any bad stuff about that station.
The team is very pleasant, the problem is definetely somewhere else.
I was there with my wife and it was 'quite ok'.
As a single male... I think I would not have been able to stay a year. In my opinion it is very difficult to find friends or just people to spend your spare time with over there (except the other ATCO's), but that is just my experience.. maybe you'd not have any problems.
Salary is around 16,000 Dirhams (no tax) a month + plus about 60,000 Dirhams a year for accomodation.
I would recommend... stay there for a week before you make a decision.

If you have further questions just PM me.

Cheers,
Ben

spike_scramble
2nd Dec 2006, 22:05
I worked there for a year

@Ben/bravosierra:

How did you manage to get a contract for just one year there? AFAIK serco is only providing contracts min. for 3 years??
As I see in your signature you managed to come back to the DFS. EDDF TWR, I assume, a good choice with a lot of movs, not the 150/day in OMSJ..... ;)

Cheers Spike.

bravosierra
2nd Dec 2006, 22:40
Hi Spike! :)

They were to stupid to specify any minimum contract time in the letter of agreement, so when I decided to leave... I left :)