PDA

View Full Version : Which is easier?

Bra
11th Oct 2006, 15:47
Eurocontrol selection or NATS selection?

Bra.

DerekTheElephant
11th Oct 2006, 16:07
Who would win in a fight- a crocodile or a horse?:p

Frogga
11th Oct 2006, 16:18
I tried both, Eurocontrol failed me due to an eye problem, but i can hold a class 1 medical and I am at the final stage of NATS Selection. Just keep plugging away

Andrew

Bra
11th Oct 2006, 16:42
Who would win in a fight- a crocodile or a horse?:p

Obviously a crocodile, didn't you listen in Biology?

MinimumRest
11th Oct 2006, 17:48
I found Eurocontrol harder, but that may be because I did it first so knew more what to expect from NATS

MR

anotherthing
12th Oct 2006, 09:01
If you are looking for the easiest option to get into ATC may I suggest that the job of an ATCO is not for you??

Management on the other hand may be right up your street!

AdmlAckbar
12th Oct 2006, 12:09
This was 10 years ago but....I went through both - Eurocontrol first, then NATS. Eurocontrol was harder - lasted a week in Hamburg, lots of maths, lots of tests relevant to ATC (e.g. headset on, one thing being said in one ear, something else in the other, try & keep track of both). Comprehensive medical with exercising ECG etc. etc.
Thought when I'd been accepted by Eurocontrol that NATS would be a pushover so took the plunge and rejected Eurocontrol. Then got rejected by NATS! Got in 2nd time round, really wanted airports and got lucky there as well.

Dances with Boffins
12th Oct 2006, 12:56
Obviously a crocodile, didn't you listen in Biology?
You must've gone to Public School. All we got in Biology was cockroaches and a bull's eye.:}

Dave_rowe
12th Oct 2006, 19:51
Is the fight in or out of water, and how bigs the horse?

anotherthing
13th Oct 2006, 08:03
AdmlAckbar

tests relevant to ATC (e.g. headset on, one thing being said in one ear, something else in the other, try & keep track of both).

Is/was this really part of the selection process?? Its a known fact that the human brain cannot listen to two conversations at once... it can pick out bits of each, but it cannot 'listen' and understand fully, both of them. The brain does a little trick called 'switching' whereby it rapidly switches between both conversations pickng up snatches of each.

In a busy ATC environment, it is a dangerous habit to pick up. As ATCOS we like to think we can do it, but the reality is, we cannot.

RobertK
13th Oct 2006, 12:45
anotherthing, a version of it still is part of the selection process in Germany.

However, its aim is not to follow two "conversations" in detail, but listen to one (which is announced beforehand as the important one) without getting distracted by the other (the "conversations" are actually just letters and numbers, and you have to pick out certain combinations on the "correct" side).

I haven't started my training yet, but would guess this to be quite important for controllers, as you are not exactly sitting all alone in that control room, with other people talking providing a distraction.

Another matter is that people can be able to follow two conversations not in detail, but listen for certain cues which need attention - I did that successfully quite a few times in the Navy, but am not sure if it is applicable for an ATCO.

Regards,

Robert

SM4 Pirate
13th Oct 2006, 23:29
Is the fight in or out of water, and how bigs the horse? The real question is how big is the crocodile:8 and is it a salty or a freshy?

AdmlAckbar
14th Oct 2006, 16:03
Anotherthing,
You're right - it is a dangerous thing to try and get both conversations. It was a few years ago and I can't remember the precise details but I think what RobertK says about the purpose of the test is correct. I don't know whether or not Eurocontrol still use it.
AA