PDA

View Full Version : ATCO 1st Interview - My Situation

rhino8
11th Oct 2006, 11:01
Ladies, Gents,

I received my 1st Interview invitation the other day, which I will be attending on 30th October.

Not getting ahead of myself but I wanted to explain my situation to see if there is anyone else on these boards who were/is in a similiar situation.

I am 25 years old, I have been working in the IT industry for the past 5 years, I am educated to HND level and have several professional IT qualifications. But I have very little interest in my career and have decided to do something about it before it is too late. On lookng at Careers I came to Air Traffic Control which I have always had an interest in, when I left school I was close to joining the RAF but decided instead to further my education. Then when I completed College I looked again at Air traffic Control, but for one reason or another I drifted into IT.

I have taken the plunge and applied to NATS. I am married and have a 7 month old daughter and the move to Bournemouth would be difficult for my family, I have already started saving (just in case) and my family is behind me and are excited about a possible prospect of moving down south for a while. I was hoping someone on these boards is or had been in the same situation. How did you cope financially? How did you cope with the move?

Anyway, I am looking forward to the 1st selection procedure, already on my fifth read through the material NATS have supplied, bought myself a couple of books on Air Traffic Control and thoroughly enjoying taking it all in, Will look forward to looking through all the help and advice I have already found on these forums.

Any insights would be much appreciated...

Cheers, Leeroy

roundthebend
11th Oct 2006, 20:07
Leeroy, we're in very similar circumstances. I have my Stage 1 with NATS on 23rd October. I'm 28, married with 2 young kids. I've also had about 5 years in IT, but recently have been running my own business (badly, I might add!).

ATC is something I've recently become aware of as a career option. Previously I had been focused on flying and discounted anything within the aviation industry that didn't involve being airborne. However, I've spent the last year or so looking seriously at my career options and ATC has risen to the top of the list. So much so that the thought of moving out of my awesome home and down to Bournemouth with my family and a low income doesn't bother me in the slightest. If anything it serves as a motivational factor - the long-term benefits outweigh the minor short-term upheaval. I look at my other options and all I see is plodding along through life like every other sucker who hates their job.

So, if you're like me and you've got a buzzing feeling every time you think about this possibility, you should not worry and just get your head down and make sure that you and me get to Hurn together. Then at least our families will have each other for company.

I'd be happy to keep in touch through email or MSN... [email protected]

EDIT: How do I display my email address? richard.rodriguez1 @ ntlworld.com

Good luck with it.

Rich

rhino8
12th Oct 2006, 06:32
My feelings exactly.... We do have a bit in common, I will send you an e-mail shortly...

RudeNot2
16th Oct 2006, 11:00
Hey folks

I too have just received an invitation to go for the first round of tests and have booked for Tuesday 24th October!! I only applied at about 2330 on Saturday!!

My background is approx 15 years in IT after leaving school with no highers / A levels and going down the SCOTVEC route with National Certificate Computing and then an HND in Information Technology. I am 32 married with one son. My wife runs her own business and would be unable to move down south for the duration of the training etc.. How this will work I don't know but we'll have to give it a try if things go well throughout the different selection stages.

I looked at applying previously but there was the age limit. Since new legislation etc came in at the beginning of October this has been revised to allow us "Old" folk a chance!!!

Richard - it would be good to hear how you get on next Monday

If you fancy getting in touch my messenger address is [email protected]

Dave