PDA

View Full Version : EAST MIDLANDS - 3

Pages : [1] 2

egnxema
11th Oct 2006, 09:23
East Midlands - 2 here. http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230974
Anyone know about whether or ot the BA (GB Airways) TFS will continue on into Summer 07?
It is a new route for BRS and EMA, and I notice from ba . com that BRS is available to book next summer. As yet not EMA.
The flights will be A321 with LGW based crew. They will fly LGW-TFS, nightstop, TFS - EMA - TFS, Nightstop, TFS - BRS - TFS, nightstop, TFS - LGW and then sleep a lot ;)
Come on Phil_2405 - impress us all with the size of your knowledge ;) ;) :ok:

egnxema
11th Oct 2006, 09:49
A look at FCA for Summer 07 sees Cancun on Mondays, Puerta Plata on Tuesdays, Punta Cana on Tuesdays and Sanford on Wednesdays. Can't see Varadero, as suggested above. :confused:

WATABENCH
11th Oct 2006, 12:22
Go on to FC website, check 10 jun 07 for 14 nights :ok:

egnxema
11th Oct 2006, 13:17
Oh yeah - and there it is - Varadero departing 1120 on Sundays.

With a laughaul departure on Sun, Mon, Tues and Wed will there be a FCA 767 based at EMA next summer?

Mr Angry from Purley
11th Oct 2006, 18:45
Of not so much interest, but World Airways MD11's are replacing Gemini MD11's
for DHL effective W06 schedules :\

bmibaby.com
11th Oct 2006, 21:27
Scaffolding all around the main terminal, Checker Cars' office moved to make way for new shopping mall/arrivals hall, lots of new Ryanair routes ... summer 2007 is going to look very exciting as it is, and we're not even at the end of summer 2006 yet!

UPS@EMA
12th Oct 2006, 08:47
is there any fotos of the building work anywhere please. havent been there for months

also any pier pics please.

Regards

Stu

egnxema
12th Oct 2006, 09:18
We could do with an official thread photographer....any volunteers? :)

(that's someone who can take pics for this thread, as opposed to someone who takes pictures of thread)

Little Blue
12th Oct 2006, 12:24
Bring back the croc pot !!!
I know change is a must, cos the airport is a bloody mess at the moment, but I can't help thinking how great it was back in the 80's.
Staff car park right next to the teminal. The "Greasy spoon", The Croc pot cafe, the tiny baggage belt by the domestic arrivals door, The holiday shop in the corner by the baggage office, flea-ridden check-in desks, shellsuits as far as the eye could see, British Midland a/c lined up on the ramp and Mike Bradbury...oh, 'ang on, he's still there, of course !
Jeez, I'm getting old !:)

Navy_Adversary
18th Oct 2006, 22:24
Deja vu, here we go again. BBC East Midlands teletext were tonight reporting that EMA is considering a name change at a meeting they will be holding in December.
Guess they must have read my recent post:)

My 10ps worth, "East Midlands International Airport" Yes, I know:eek:

Chilli Monster
19th Oct 2006, 00:05
Bearing in mind the current vogue of naming after people - surely "Brian Clough Old Bighead Airport" must be in the running ;) (though no doubt the other City will want Gary Lineker International!)

av8767
19th Oct 2006, 02:06
Or Nottingham Su Pollard Airport

bycrewlgw
19th Oct 2006, 06:33
Or Nottingham Su Pollard Airport

Definately this one! Su Pollard is a legend!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :ok:

Smiliesam
19th Oct 2006, 08:32
'East Midlands International Airport'

Deja Vu...... the original name if memory serves....

And why would any business want to be called after the murder capital of the North? I know the reasons why, but there were so many other 'why not!'

BTW any particular reason my back yard was filled with fumes last night? Who was spewing at the west end of the airport?
Usually only happens in Summer...........:yuk:

egnxema
19th Oct 2006, 09:53
Let us all pray the airport doesn't get some pointless celebrity name tag.

There are a few quotes on the BBC website www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham that strike me as odd, for example:

""Michael Copestake, of Marketing Derby, said: "It hasn't helped the East Midlands to develop itself as a region and that has been a problem.

"If we are going to promote the East Midlands as an area to do business in, if we've got the main airport that doesn't carry that logo it doesn't achieve that objective." ""

The last time I looked at the terminal front, the airport's website, it marketing material, the words east and midlands were written all over it.

The most important thing is clarity. And it is a fact that at the moment some websites list the airport as :

FR - East Midlands (EMA) in its booking drop down list, but regularly refer to it as Nottingham (East Midlands) in its marketing, including the big poster in the check-in hall.

EZY - Nottingham East Midlands (EMA) on its drop down, East Midlands on its route map (with the dot hovering somewhere over Stratford on Avon!)

WW - Nottingham East Midlands (EMA) on its dropdowns, Nottingham EMA on its route map.

TOM - Nottingham East Midlands on the dropdown, Nottingham on the route map.

T3 - Nottingham (EMA) on the dropdowns, Nottingham on the route map.

As regards the arrivals/departures displays at other airports:-

ALC is showing both WW and EZY flight s to/from NOTTINGHAM/EAST MIDLANDS

EDI is showing WW flights as to/from NOTTINGHAM

DUB is showing FR flights to/from EAST MIDLANDS

GRO is showing FR flights to/from NOTTINGHAM/EASTMIDLANDS

BRU is showing BD flights as to/from Nottingham

It could be a good idea if the airport sticks with one name but actively encouraged a standard across all websites and airports to display the name.

It should either be listed under E, or N, in the dropdowns, and the same name used on route maps (preferably with the 'dot' roughly in the middle of Derby/Nottingham/Leicester - easyJet take note!)

I have not found any other region with the same amount of parochial rivalry as exists between Derby, Nottingham and Leicester. So no doubt we will have to endure the next 2 months of pointless headlines in the Evening Telegraph, the Post and the Mercury, all scrapping over words and a vain loyalaty to a city - what's the point in that??? Surely it benefits all, businesses, holiday makers, backpackers, inbound tourists, the hospitality industry, etc etc to have a growing and successful, well connected local airport - isn't that what EGNX seems to be right now, and seems to keep on being??

WHY CHANGE?? Can we honestly, between us here on this forum, come up with 3 VALID reasons to change from the current Nottingham East Midlands Airport??

egnxema
19th Oct 2006, 10:08
One thing they SHOULD get rid of, right now, is that woman (as shapely as she is) flapping her arms about on the front of the terminal:ugh:

It's an airport for crying out loud, not a branch of C&A.

UPS@EMA
19th Oct 2006, 10:36
3 Valid reasons!!!!!!!!

1) Its not in Nottingham / Nottinghamshire
2) Its Postal Address is Castle Donington, Derby
3) Its in Leicestershire

In all seriousness now tho why not call it what it is. East Midlands International Airport

Regards

Stu

egnxema
19th Oct 2006, 11:37
UPS@EMA

Those are 3 facts, but are they valid reasons?

Castle Donington is in Leicestershire but listed in the Derby telephone directory - I don't hear the neighbours squawking on about the fact.

London Gatwick is not in London, it is in West Sussex, but its postcode RH6 is the postal district of Horley, in the county of Surrey, but is has a Crawley telephone number.

Manchester Airport had a number of previous more local names, it is mostly in Cheshire if you get really picky, the towns of Altrincham, Wilmslow and Stockport are actually closer than Manchester.

So, you stated facts - but none of them are valid reasons to change from "Nottingham East Midlands Airport" to "East Midlands Airport".

UPS@EMA
19th Oct 2006, 12:11
egnxema,

Can you give all of us a valid reason as to why EMA should have Nottingham in the Title.

BTW my facts were tongue in cheek btw. i wasnt tryin to be too serious. :ugh:

Regards

Stu

egnxema
19th Oct 2006, 13:22
This name thing is highly sensitive and to be honest - there will never be a universally acceptible answer.

but

Where is TriCities Airport? (TRI) any idea?

And for a while one airport actively styled itself EuroAirport (EAP). Where is that - in the mind of a non-aviation linked person?

EuroAirport is sold by easyJet as Basel-Mulhouse - instantly it becomes a lot clearer exactly where it is. Despite the fact that the airport is situated entirely on French soil, Basel is probably a better know town that Mulhouse. Interestingly, Freiburg, in Germany, also appears in the airport's name.

So despite being from Castle Donington, in Leicestershire, with my Derby postcode and telephone number - I 100% believe that airports should be "associated" with a major city - every single on of them.

In our local case, I feel that of the 3 contenders D, N & L, that Nottingham is good.

Could it be that some in the local area would benefit from lifting their heads up to look at the picture on a more European, or international scale, not on the scale of 3 counties of England.

Another reason is that while looking on Departures boards in airports abroad - I can honestly say, on 3 occassions I have overheard other British passengers read aloud "East Midlands...........where's that?"

For much of its history the airport has been a departure point for those in the region going away on holiday. But things have already changed, we all are pleased that EMA now has over 100 destinations year round. But many of the "destinations" are also points of origin for inbound visitors.

I still believe, but am willing to be corrected, that if a german businessman near Cologne needing to visit a firm in Melton Mowbray looking at the easyJet and germanwings websites, with the help of his regular everyday office atlas, will find a places called "Nottingham" and "Birmingham" faster than he will see labels for "East Midlands" or "West Midlands".

He then sees "Nottingham East Midlands" on the easyJet dropdown - the probability of him being an addtional EMA pax rather than BHX pax in greatly increased.

Another thing.....

When the airport last did the name change game, it was a BHX/EMA region. Well, things have changed. It is now a BHX/CVT/DSA/EMA region - the stakes are A LOT higher. DSA has already got TOM longhaul flights to CUN and SFB, and now GSM have announced weekly longhaul flight from DSA to YYZ! Shaheen Airlines have announced flights from DSA to Islamabad and YYZ.

So - EMA - please don't expend valuable time and research funding on yet another name change -stick with Nottingham East Midlands (not perfect, granted, but not bad by any means), and build on your already good success, go out and impress the airlines to bring the likes of YYZ, YVR, DXB, India, Pakistan, etc to the EMA route map.

When you are looking at that sort of picture - Nottingham will look a lot better next to a dot on a world route map than EMIA.

:)

EastMids
19th Oct 2006, 13:33
How about:

* Castle Donington Derby (the original IATA code was CDD for this very reason)
* Diseworth International Airport
* Islay Walton Airport
* Birmingham Northeast (probably the option Ryanair would favour!!!)
* Brian Clough International (could be appropriate given he was a manager at more than on club in the region)

Alternatively, just leave it as Nottingham East Midlands as it does convey an indication of where the region actually is, which to my niave mind does seem vaguely important.

Andy

egnxema
19th Oct 2006, 14:22
Boy oh boy I'm in a mood today, lol. :ooh:

After they have ridded the terminal front of the still shot of an exercise video, they airport should be pressing Midland Mainline for a completion date for the Parkway Station.

All the current bus improvements are good. Now get the new train station built and things can only get better.

hmmmm, what can I rant about next......:*

EastMids
19th Oct 2006, 14:31
they airport should be pressing Midland Mainline for a completion date for the Parkway Station

Midland Mainline are not going to build the Parkway station as they won't be around by then. Their francise runs out next year, and the contruction of the station will become a condition of the new "East Midlands" franchise which starts later next year and which will combine the services of the current Midland Mainline and east-midlands Central Trains operation. Whoever wins the franchise (there are, I believe, three bidders - National Express, First Group, and another) will be required to build the station by the end of 2008.

Andy

Mr Angry from Purley
19th Oct 2006, 18:25
The new Ryanair schedules are causing much angst to the NIMBY's, a letter in the local rag the New Nu's says "10 new routes arrive and depart during the hours most of you will be trying to sleep and as you know passenger flights are banned from doing this at other UK airports", sounds like the stuff coming from a labour spin docter more like, i'm sure all other airports are open 24/7 apart from say LHR....:\

Navy_Adversary
20th Oct 2006, 08:10
Probably if M O'L gets involved he will tell the management what the airport will be called.:)
Secondly, for the parkway station, I can just imagine Meridian trains painted like First Buses stopping there in 3 years time.
Finally, as a taxpayer of Leicestershire I am not too chuffed at Leicestershire police picking up the tab for an airport called Nottingham:confused:
ps Maybe the title could be changed every 3 years to incorporate the 3 main cities. ie: 2004-7 NEMA, 2007-10 DEMA, and 10-13 LEMA:)

Maddog Red
20th Oct 2006, 08:18
Just leave it as it is stop messing with around with things and wasting money it this does is confuse the customer more, and lets be honest the pax loads have gone up since its been called Nottingham, so just leave it and deal with more important things.

Little Blue
20th Oct 2006, 09:16
Morning....and since its been called Nottingham, your team of Red dogs have been plummeting ever downwards.(apart from their current "blip").
GOT to be more than a coincidence !
Hope you're ok.
LB
YOU RAMS !:\

egnxema
20th Oct 2006, 16:04
from bbcnew:

Full steam ahead for airport link
A long-awaited railway link to Nottingham East Midlands Airport could be up and running by December 2008, according to organisers.
Network Rail has now taken over the project from Midland Mainline and is carrying out surveying work on the planned site at Ratcliffe-on Soar.

The parkway station near junction 24 of the M1 would provide rail links to the airport from nearby cities and London.

It is hoped that construction work would start in Spring 2007.

As far as we're concerned the project is full steam ahead
Ben Herbert, Network Rail

The planned parkway station would eventually provide 1,000 parking spaces and a shuttle service to the airport.

Ben Herbert, from Network Rail, said the company was now getting on with designing the station and taking the proposals through the relevant planning processes.

He said the station would greatly improve transport links in and around the East Midlands.

"The reason the site has been chosen is because it is the nearest point on the existing railway to the airport itself, it's handy for the A453 trunk road and also junction 24 of the M1.

"As far as we're concerned the project is full steam ahead, it's all going well and we'll be able to get some more information on what the station will actually look like after Christmas," he said.

He added that the operator for train services to the station would be decided by November 2007.

The East Midlands parkway station has been on the drawing board for years, but has been dogged by planning rows.

The land was bought by compulsory purchase order from energy company Powergen, and plans for the station have been opposed by local residents.

HJupiter
22nd Oct 2006, 00:09
Personally, regarding the name change, I really do hope it doesn't get named after a celebrity. Please EMA, don't do that!

NutLoose
22nd Oct 2006, 01:41
How about London East Midlands Airport :rolleyes: .....after all everything else is............ I Know Leicester was peeved at it being called Nottingham East Midlands Airport, after all they have to pick up the tab for the policing of the place...... to see it named after a different city rankled.

NEMA just does not roll of the tongue, perhaps if they had called it East Nottingham East Midlands Airport, that would at least of conjured up a name you could go on so to speak....... Think about it.

brighton_rocks
22nd Oct 2006, 12:33
:D :D :D :D excellent NutLoose :D :D :D :D

bmibaby.com
22nd Oct 2006, 14:27
I think that the airport is finally waking up to the fact that it cannot afford to be making enemies over trivial things like the name. As others have mentioned, there is fierce local pride in the region (though isn't there everywhere?) and to name the local airport after one of the three primary cities that it serves was always going to be controversial. I agree that the name "East Midlands" is too vague, as it doesn't imply the country, simply the region of one country. Adding a city has helped identify it, and whilst living in Loughborough, Leicester is actually my closest big city, I regularly tell foreigners I meet I'm from Nottingham as few have heard of Leicester. Perhaps had the airport been named after all three cities and dropped "East Midlands" it would've been OK. I think simply it'll revert to East Midlands Airport (after all that's what people refer to it as, or some elderly members around do call it Donno or Donington) or East Midlands International Airport.

Great news to hear about all of these new Ryanair routes starting in February. Any idea how things are progressing to get the terminal all shaped up for next summer, including this exciting proposal for the "pier"? I'm pretty sure it'll be airbridge-less.

NutLoose
22nd Oct 2006, 15:45
bmibaby

You could always rename the other Birmingham West Midlands Airport, that would put it in context for all passengers to Nottingham East Midlands Airport then :p but you have to realise that a simple rename costs hundreds of thousands in new road signs etc around the counties.............

As for the Pier, is that not supposed to be going between the old and new apron extension, losing the car parking facility in the old post office freight building?............................

easyboy
22nd Oct 2006, 22:12
What's this pier I've been hearing about?

Smiliesam
23rd Oct 2006, 15:10
[quote=NutLoose;2922532]bmibaby

You could always rename the other Birmingham West Midlands Airport, that would put it in context for all passengers to Nottingham East Midlands Airport then :p but you have to realise that a simple rename costs hundreds of thousands in new road signs etc around the counties.............

No problem there then; most of the road signs were never changed in the first place and still say EMA(the airport wouldn't pay for it). The sign at the front was ordered well before the first announcement; that is, before the 'consultations' that followed the first announcement. No doubt we shall hear of any other name change by the same means.

BTW, this year I have flown to Washington, Vancouver, Bratislava;will also be going to Poznan (Poland) and Valencia before the end of the year.
I have yet to fly from East Midlands, my nearest neighbour.:(

UPS@EMA
24th Oct 2006, 12:44
Can anyone provide me with any info with regards to extending the western apron again.

also the satallite seems like it will be connected to the international departures by an elevated walkway. sounds like there is planning permission for Air Bridges to be included.

Regards

Stu

paul atkins
24th Oct 2006, 17:08
hey all a little more information today the tenerife flights will stop in the middle of may 2007 & restart first week of october 2007 with the same frequency cheers paul

SWBKCB
24th Oct 2006, 17:29
...for Air Bridges...

Air Bridges back at the 'Donn - Argosies or Vanguards???

:ok: :ok:

bmibaby.com
24th Oct 2006, 20:35
Not a surprise that the BA Connect Tenerife service will end for the summer. It's already well served by the charter airlines, most of whom are now selling these seats directly to the customer via the internet.

Unless EMA have some exciting longhaul or full-service offerings up their sleaves, any idea who would actually use airbridges out of the airport?

brighton_rocks
25th Oct 2006, 05:58
Can anyone please tell me why the BRU operated by BMIregional is still showing as a baby route on the Baby website? Admittedly it does transfer you to BMI website, but as it was a BABY route 3 years ago, why is it still on their website? (Paris was regional but is not on the BMI website from NEMA)- Is it going back to BABY with Locost Service or is regional keeping it and continuing their route offering full service? I'm a bit confused, anyone heard anything around NEMA? :confused:

UPS@EMA
25th Oct 2006, 07:15
Sorry bin out of here too long. good to be back. the people over in Malaysia sometimes call them air bridges. sorry about that.

Anyway, word has it that Jet Airways are in talks with MAN, BHX and EMA. with 1 or 2 getting a BOM service

Regards

Stu

airhumberside
25th Oct 2006, 15:03
Can anyone please tell me why the BRU operated by BMIregional is still showing as a baby route on the Baby website?
bmi baby sell seats on all bmi group scheduled flights

Binder
25th Oct 2006, 15:11
But don't expect 'tiny fares'!

Misleading perhaps?

Binder

karnak
25th Oct 2006, 17:57
the only thing low cost is the way they encourage staff morale!

Lite
25th Oct 2006, 18:37
Any insider news from Menzies about how things are going at the moment?

phil_2405
25th Oct 2006, 19:12
The airport website has now confirmed FCA to Cuba - fortnightly starting 13/05/2007 :ok:

egnxema
26th Oct 2006, 09:23
Thanks for the heads-up Phil.

Quoted from the airports website:-
"First Choice will serve Varadero, Juan Gualberto Gomez Airport (VRN) with fortnightly flights starting 13 May 2007 "

The last time I checked (VRN) is Verona. Varadero is VRA. :E
But hey - flights to VRN would also be good :p

An "Indian Subcontinent Questionaire" is now on the website, investigating demand for future routes.

UPS@EMA
27th Oct 2006, 07:51
New route to Goa from EMA with FCA startin in FEB 2008 weekly on a friday. so will have long haul with First Choice on:

Sunday - Varadero, Cuba *
Monday - Cancun, Mexico
Tuesday - Puerto Plata / Punta Cana, Dominican Republic *
Wednesday - Orlando Sanford, USA
Friday - Goa, India

2 More destinations and will require a based 767.

Sounds like FCA are takin EMA to heart. and with Kenya bein offered by airtours, it looks good for Long Haul from EMA.

Where could they look to fill the week?

Regards

Stu

Mr Angry from Purley
27th Oct 2006, 09:18
UPS
Sat Palma!
Great news:\

UPS@EMA
27th Oct 2006, 13:55
has anyone got any info as to weather the Orlando route will be added for winter 2007/08???? not on the site as yet. also anything on the pier. does nobody know anything about it?????

Regards

Stu

egnxema
27th Oct 2006, 15:28
Calling Almost Prof - tell us what you can see with your eyes in the sky!

Any building work happening?

Thomas_Cook_757-300
27th Oct 2006, 15:45
MyTravel are going weekly to Mombasa from March with an A330-243.

Thomas_Cook_757-300

Simtech
27th Oct 2006, 16:32
Any news on the proposed runway extension?

almost professional
27th Oct 2006, 17:00
On Leave-not back till next week, no work had begun before I started my leave-in fact have seen no project documentation-safety case or any other paper work yet-that does not mean of course that work is not imminent!
may be leaving work till summer IT season fully over as guessing we may lose stands while work in progress

Tisme
27th Oct 2006, 21:22
Any news on the proposed runway extension?

The farm has been brought out at the rear of the airport to make way for a runway extension, hence the plackards that have appeared in Donington asking for your thoughts on the parish.

almost professional
27th Oct 2006, 22:04
The planning application for 150m extension on the west end has been lodged with NWLDC for some years, prior I think to the last work done, and I am sure that it was all encompassed within the existing boundaries-if the farm has been sold not sure it is connected

thewilf
28th Oct 2006, 00:21
Navy_Adversary

Just to let you know as well there is a three counties policing policy in place in NEMA. Officers from all 3 counties are present in almost equal amounts with specialist suport coming from the three counties as well.

bmibaby.com
29th Oct 2006, 12:06
Any insider news from Menzies about how things are going at the moment?

Menzies seem to be really back on form after a dire start to the summer, which I think can simply be notched up to the fact that this has been their biggest season so far, and at the beginning they just weren't well prepared enough. Indeed, around June time top brass from aviance and Swissport UK were both rumoured to be at the airport looking at either replacing Menzies or establishing a third handling agent. However, Menzies have really got back into shape, and I've been told that they've had a lot of people from different airlines looking around their operation including First Choice and easyJet, whose contracts are up for renewal around February time, as well as bmi who will be looking at how their charters are going to be handled for S07. There are still the rumours about bmibaby/bmi regional front of house/dispatch moving over to Menzies, though as they've been going around since Menzies took over our ramp operations, and baby have only just taken on eight new CSAs over the last few months, I highly doubt we'll see this any time soon.

Lite
30th Oct 2006, 08:17
Interesting. Though you know Servisair will fight tooth & nail for the First Choice contract, after all we've been given numerous awards for handling them well over the years. easyJet I think will be more difficult to keep tabs on, particularly as they seem to be favouring Menzies elsewhere across the country.

Flyboy543
30th Oct 2006, 13:06
So I've herd Menzies have the First Choice contract however aren't able to handle them over the winter so Servisair will continue till they are able to take the contract. I can't see Menzies taking easyJet at the moment as they don't have enough equipment to take the contract (assuming they will keep 3 A319 based) they keep borrowing conveyors from Servisair to do the Thomas Cook as it is, let alone 3 easy's and a First Choice! - I stand to be corrected though.

Anybody know when they're going to open the new central search area?

Lite
30th Oct 2006, 19:29
Perhaps this is a typical case of the staff being the last to know, but whilst I know First Choice management have been round to look at Menzies, there hasn't been any indication that we've lost the contract, particularly given how successfully it has been handled by Servisair in the past. Whoever wins it, it's a particularly big contract, with one 767 based at the airport for four of five days a week, alongside the A321.

Flyboy543
31st Oct 2006, 15:35
Bit of an update about the new pier going in.... Preparation work has already commenced. Tomorrow a fence should appear from the SR Technics base to the new Blast fence near stand 17. The walkway will run from behind the Ryanair cabin over west gate, behind the ICS/Servisair/SR Technics huts and down to the pier. Saw them move the container behind Ryanair cabin today and they've started drilling big holes in the floor there!!

Not going to be the easiest walkway to build let alone try to run the airport as usual while work is underway. If I hear anymore I'll post as and when.

On another note the BA TFS service started today. Had TV cameras, press, lots of pictures on the tarmac with what I presume were flamenco dancers?! Made me laugh when the wind nearly lifted the whole of their dress :}

UPS@EMA
1st Nov 2006, 07:27
Is there any drawings for the pier available anywhere???? Is there anything else planned in the near future?? i know about the survey on the web site with regards to opening up an indian route but who would they consider for that???? Air India transferring from BHX, or Jet starting????

Any news on a US route???? poss Delta???

Regards

Stu

bmibaby.com
1st Nov 2006, 09:26
Many of the American carriers are expanding their trans-atlantic presence, particularly Delta & Continental, and surely this is a good opportunity to show that it is the Manchester Airport Group, by encouraging airlines that have expanded at MAN to consider the Midlands as well as the North East with flights from EMA. If bmi had been more influential within Star Alliance, and we didn't have baby who don't offer through check-in, then perhaps United or US Airways would've been a possibility, but que sera.

UPS@EMA
1st Nov 2006, 09:49
I think EMA need to concentrate in attracting a major national carrier such as LH, KL or IB or even BA, who could offer connections world wide n offer a transatlantic alternative.

This would help attract Long haul carriers

Regards

Stu

bmibaby.com
1st Nov 2006, 14:03
Lufthansa a few months back announced they were looking at flying to more regional airports to reduce their dependency on LHR. Totally agree that a lack of a hub operator at EMA really alienates the airport from a lot of intercontinental traffic. Whether LH would want to dilute their BHX traffic though is another story.

Charlie Roy
2nd Nov 2006, 10:21
Rimini starts March 27th :ok:

UPS@EMA
2nd Nov 2006, 10:43
Great news for EMA. But with another early morning flight, is there enough based units to cover these routes? also we have now got 29 routes with 5 based A/C. is that not over use of aircraft, so r we gonna get another A/C

Regards

Stu

almost professional
2nd Nov 2006, 11:28
I make it 5 deps between 0630 and 0650, so checks with 5 based at the moment-looks like about to start work on the pier, putting out fencing this morning to section it off-will try to put some pics on later!

Chilli Monster
2nd Nov 2006, 16:08
And - as if by magic:

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/pierblocks1.JPG

Blocks showing extent of construction

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/pierblocks2.JPG

Blocks showing showing projected start area of pier

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/pierblocks3.JPG

Put the two together

NEMA_boy
2nd Nov 2006, 16:50
Hi guys,

This is my first post on the site. I am a regular visitor of airliners.net and have stumbled across this site through google. My home airport is NEMA, and i have been following this thread for the past few days as i recently learnt about the new pier. I decided to join up to the site as i am desperate to find more information about the pier, are there any plan drawings that are obtainable?

Regards,

Matt

nema/robin hood
2nd Nov 2006, 17:19
Love the pics - Thanks

So now TWENTY NINE routes from FR at NEMA..(GREAT NEWS).

Don't want to sound like I am ungrateful or anything - BUT, I would love to see some Scandinavian routes from FR or maybe a few Baltic ones??

bmibaby.com
2nd Nov 2006, 17:25
Great news to see Ryanair adding more flights to Italy, this region has previously been heavily underserved from the Midlands despite a large Italian community, a number of large international businesses with Italian offices and a number of Italiaphiles (I think that's the phrase) with second homes there, it really makes sense for more routes to this country, and a real missed opportunity for bmibaby, despite attempting to make their own inroads into this market at the beginning with PSA & BGY.

Any idea when seats are going on sale for next summer at EMA? At the moment most Ryanair routes are only available for sale until June.

Also, any confirmation on what's going on with the pier. We all know it's coming, but who will use it and what will it look like? I've heard Gates 1 - 5 are going to be almost exclusive Ryanair gates, with the exception of the odd baby or easy, and the Orlandos.

almost professional
2nd Nov 2006, 18:39
My understanding is that the pier will allow 'walking' access to more stands-ie the forties on the extension and the stands on the north edge of the central on the west side-ie 30/31 /32
not heard who is likely to be greatest user, but using the forties would allow Ryanair to keep the based fleet together-certainly for the early departures-
unlikely to be the orlando as to put a B767 on the extension costs two B737/800 stands and we may need all the stands we have!

ALLDAYDELI
3rd Nov 2006, 10:38
Question : whos is the B737-200 on the far left of the last picture nose up to the hangar doors?

UPS@EMA
3rd Nov 2006, 11:01
Its the Republic of Niger 737-200 reg 5X-BAG i believe

Regards

Stu

egnxema
3rd Nov 2006, 11:01
A big thank you for the pictures!! What a great view you have Almost Prof!! And a nice clear day looking over South Derbys.

This will be a significant winter of changes for EMA i reckon.

Chilli Monster
3rd Nov 2006, 11:24
What a great view you have Almost Prof!!

Only on the rare occasions when we unchain him from the radar and let him go upstairs :)

egnxema
3rd Nov 2006, 11:39
:E

And does he then do his best Meerkat impressions?

Thank you Chillimonster for the pictures too.

:ok:

almost professional
3rd Nov 2006, 11:56
If it wasnt for radar trainees!-I will have to get Chilli to show me how to post my own pics!
still have not seen any plans for the pier-will try to pump contacts for some more info-I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice the B737/200 in the maintenance area

Simtech
3rd Nov 2006, 12:24
Its the Republic of Niger 737-200 reg 5X-BAG i believe

Close, it's 5U-BAG (I know, I know, I ought to get out more.......)

Must agree about the pictures, I can almost see my mum's house in Alvaston!

Navy_Adversary
3rd Nov 2006, 17:08
I heard on the radio today that FlyBE have bought out BA Connect, could be interesting for the airport. TFS is the thin end of the wedge, or do we lose it back to BHX?

OltonPete
3rd Nov 2006, 17:56
I heard on the radio today that FlyBE have bought out BA Connect, could be interesting for the airport. TFS is the thin end of the wedge, or do we lose it back to BHX?

BHX has a daily ZB 321 (214 seats?), it would be total madness to compete and the BE deal does not include GB. However there are
plenty of rumours flying about re a GB/BMED announcement in December.

Pete

bmibaby.com
3rd Nov 2006, 18:50
My understanding is that the pier will allow 'walking' access to more stands-ie the forties on the extension and the stands on the north edge of the central on the west side-ie 30/31 /32
not heard who is likely to be greatest user, but using the forties would allow Ryanair to keep the based fleet together-certainly for the early departures-
unlikely to be the orlando as to put a B767 on the extension costs two B737/800 stands and we may need all the stands we have!

Perhaps this new pier will be for the Ryanair flights, though I was under the impression they were content using the stands serviced by boarding gates one through five. If this new pier is for Ryanair, I can imagine there will be no airbridges, probably a very spartan interior, maybe built in a "temporary building" fashion like "the tent" check in hall currently used by EZY/FR. There were some rumours floating around in the summer that FCA were moving out of "the tent" to consolidate their position, with the ticket desks & CUSS machines, into the main check in hall, is anything coming of this, particularly as Ryanair are going to need more desks themselves.

almost professional
3rd Nov 2006, 21:42
Ryanair are supposed to be taking over the First choice desks in the 'tent' to give them the extra check-in area for the new destinations

phil_2405
3rd Nov 2006, 21:54
almost professional

Is that confirmed almost prof? I see no alternative considering the increased Ryanair check-in desk requirements from Feb 07.

Lite
4th Nov 2006, 09:44
Yes, First Choice will be moving out of "the tent" apparently in January to make way for the new Ryanair routes which are starting in February. Already, at certain peaks in the day we have to use more than the currently branded Ryanair desks to check-in passengers. Not sure whereabouts in the main check-in hall FCA will be moving to, more than likely where they were before, ie the desks directly opposite the First Choice Holidays ticket desk for the shorthauls, and then using the Thomsonfly 767 desks for the longhauls.

Everyone at Menzies sounding very gung ho about getting the FCA contract, though at Servisair we've been told we're pretty safe with it given the good relationship we've developed exemplified by the plethora of awards from air2000/First Choice we've received over the years as a good station. The one we've been told to watch out for is EZY, though EZY have just renewed their contract with Servisair at BRS, so hopefully the same will happen here.

bmibaby.com
5th Nov 2006, 16:21
I was under the impression that First Choice's management were extremely impressed by Menzies' operation when they had a look round in the middle of the summer, and that FCA only have a 90-day notice period to give to Servisair before cancelling the contract, so potentially we could see Menzies handling FCA by March, even if it hasn't been announced yet. From what I can remember First Choice Holidays actually have their own staff at the airport, unlike MyTravel & Thomson it's nothing to do with Servisair's subsidiary Airport Agencies.

Menzies are really the big up & comer at the airport. There will always be the old incumbent contracts at Servisair, but everything is pointing to Menzies really ramping things up for Summer 2007, including the consistent rumours about bmibaby's ground staff moving over to them as early as January, with baby also potentially going onto the CUSS machines by next summer.

There's a lot of change going on within baby at the minute to bring costs down, and we've been told to expect major changes, including a number of new routes for BHX - both currently served by the bmi group as well as brand new cities. The sixth aircraft for EMA appears to be back on after a lot of rumours we wouldn't be getting one because of Ryanair's expansion, and we should know for concrete by December. Manchester aren't getting any more baby aircraft at this stage, so it's between CWL & EMA for one of the new 3 aircraft which are coming.

Lite
5th Nov 2006, 20:53
easyJet won't expand from here unless they need to. The current set up with three based aircraft on the routes that they fly have been stable, successful and with repeat regular customers for a couple of years now, so why change the formula? Admittedly, it does look like they're in a rut, particularly with some of the very exciting destinations they serve elsewhere and the new Ryanair routes, but why expand for the sake of expanding? It has been publicised in this post that easyJet's contract with the airport signed by Go Fly is up for tender in February, so this will likely either see the airport simply resign easyJet to base aircraft here for longer, look at expanding to more based aircraft, or could see the airline chose to base aircraft elsewhere. Given EZY's successful crew base here, I doubt the latter, though DSA are aggressively looking for more business, and may have a better business case than we do at EMA.

Everyone at Servisair is very concerned with the rumours of Menzies' massive expansion, including their blood lust for two of our contracts. If as you say, FCA management really want to move to Menzies, it will be a shame as it's a very nice contract for us, particularly with the longhaul 76's, and the expansion next summer into one or two new markets. We're yet to hear anything definite, though if there's only a requirement for 90 days, I doubt we'll know anything until December. The expansion of Ryanair & Thomsonfly will soften the blow in terms of staffing numbers, though it will still be very sad to lose this long-standing contract, and recruitment it seems is about to begin for next summer already...

UPS@EMA
6th Nov 2006, 12:09
Word has it that EMA is in talks with 4 airlines with regards to flights to India. the 4 airlines are based at different airports and management are trying for an Islamabad service in the not too distant future. PIA maybe transfering from BHX?????

Anyway

Regards all

Stu

The Real Slim Shady
6th Nov 2006, 12:29
Islamabad will be via Karachi and the service won't start until at least April next year.

UPS@EMA
6th Nov 2006, 12:50
Who with TRSS????? please dont say UK International Airlines!!!!! Do you know something we dont?????

Regards

Stu

emababy
6th Nov 2006, 17:08
have heard on the rumour mill that after xmas baby will be charging pax to check in bags? once again this is another ploy to copy ryanair!!! why start charging when alot of passenegers decide to fly with us rather than ryanair purely for that fact!!! surly if baby want to continue its growth and become the best low cost airline they ned to start thinking of their own creative ideas to increase revenue rather than hidden costs here and there!!

phil_2405
6th Nov 2006, 17:41
Word has it that EMA is in talks with 4 airlines with regards to flights to India. the 4 airlines are based at different airports and management are trying for an Islamabad service in the not too distant future. PIA maybe transfering from BHX?????
Anyway
Regards all
Stu

Where did you get your info from Stu? Let's hope the talks bear some fruit soon....

UPS@EMA
6th Nov 2006, 17:45
this is the only one i can show you but i did get told this by a friend who works for the airport group

http://www.thisisleicestershire.com

search for 'airport' and its the second story down

Alternativly i could paste an extract if required

Regards

Stu

phil_2405
6th Nov 2006, 17:50
Thanks Stu! I think there is definitely demand from the East Midlands for a service to the Indian Subcontinent, let's hope they can pull it off!

UPS@EMA
6th Nov 2006, 17:56
Fingers crossed. All i could imagine is either Air India transferring to EMA from BHX (doubtful), Jet (Never gonna happen i think), someone like Air Slovakia doing a via routing or maybe someone like Etihad or a US airline offering both ways poss. Thats the only way i could see 4 airlines in talks unless Kingfishers first international route, when its allowed in the next few years.

Also im interested in what the real slim shady said about Islamabad via Karachi. could this be PIA moving up the M42?????

Regards

Stu

bmibaby.com
6th Nov 2006, 18:33
have heard on the rumour mill that after xmas baby will be charging pax to check in bags?

This rumour has actually been on the cards for some time, I think bmibaby management have just been waiting to see how easily accepted it was when flybe & Ryanair introduced the move. This follows bmibaby's policy of providing all the things that a legacy airline would provide on the route, such as; assigned seating, business lounges, a full bar service, 20kgs baggage allowance, but whatever extras you want you simply have to pay for them. I've also heard that proper meals such as English breakfasts may well be introduced in the near future, I suppose all things that help baby remain competitive with the likes of Monarch & flybe.

If the sixth aircraft does arrive, I'm wondering what new routes we can expect. My money is on us gaining a twice-daily Aberdeen (potentially killing off T3) as well as one or two of the yet-to-be-announced destinations from BHX. Perhaps the flybe/BACON merger may cause bmibaby to rethink EMA.

phil_2405
6th Nov 2006, 19:41
Perhaps the flybe/BACON merger may cause bmibaby to rethink EMA.

Not sure what you mean :confused: Re-think in a good or bad way for EMA? :confused:

PS - just seen India news article in local Leicester Mercury.

bmibaby.com
6th Nov 2006, 20:58
In a good way, the Ryanair basing of additional aircraft meant that expansion from BHX was going to be a no-brainer given that the most significant competition in a number of markets was going to be BA Connect, whose management were so focused on trying to make money that they'd back down from any form of competition. Of course, bmibaby now have to put up with flybe who have a far more efficient fleet, wider route network, better frequencies on most routes - though both airlines are widely known in the area and seem to be equally well liked.

The Real Slim Shady
6th Nov 2006, 21:55
Who with TRSS????? please dont say UK International Airlines!!!!! Do you know something we dont?????
Regards
Stu
It isn't UKIA and it is isn't PIA.
And yes I do.;)

UPS@EMA
7th Nov 2006, 07:15
Come on the TRSS, is it something you can share???

Regards

Stu

The Real Slim Shady
7th Nov 2006, 07:56
All in the fullness of time.

UPS@EMA
7th Nov 2006, 08:31
ill take that as a no then.

Regards

Stu

UPS@EMA
7th Nov 2006, 12:10
I think i may of worked it out TRSS. Could it be Shaheen Airlines with a 767-200. I have found out that they have been given rights to fly to the UK and the US.

Am i getting warm

Regards

Stu

The Real Slim Shady
7th Nov 2006, 18:05
Now Stu, do you really think I will fall for the old process of elimination technique??

All in the fullness of time and via the correct channels.

bmibaby.com
8th Nov 2006, 09:52
Very exciting news if we do get more flights east, though I can't imagine that we currently have the ramp space for any based longhaul aircraft at certain times during the day. There's a large local Asian community who would really benefit from this sort of service, though I'm pretty sure PIA & AI are both happy with their BHX operations, and BHX management would be sure to cling onto these routes.

END BAG
8th Nov 2006, 10:47
All this talk of new routes etc. is very exciting but it will all depend on one of E.M .A . s newer problems being solved. T he problem of parking space. By 1a.m most days the place is usually chocker with perhaps only one stand being empty.Even the new 40s are usually full with B.M.I BABY ,THOMAS COOK ,THOMSON etc and by next march more space will be raquired for the extra ryanairs which will be based.E. M. A is seriously in need of more concrete if it is to get serious about long haul operations. Does anybody now of any ramp expansion plans in the next 2 or 3 years? .

almost professional
8th Nov 2006, 12:00
As End Bag has indicated it may well be tight for stands next summer-mainly overnight ready for the slot1 deps, the new extension is likely to be fully utilised, especially if we get the extra baby A/C
short term most likely that the larger types may get parked out on the eastern cargo, for instance the FCA B767 is timed to arrive after the cargo A/C have gone thus leaving plenty of stands free there, longer term it should be possible to carry the 40's south, into what is now car park, but that will not happpen overnight!
on an operational note splitting the deps between the different aprons makes the ground mans job much easier first thing, allowing more simultaneous push backs, but not sure the ground crew will like it much!

UPS@EMA
9th Nov 2006, 09:44
i have seen planning applications for extension to the west apron, which way would that go?

Also i havent seen one for an extension to the passenger apron. where could they go???? is there anyway they could connect the UPS ramp to the passenger teminal or would that include moving the fire station?

Regards

Stu

almost professional
9th Nov 2006, 11:11
Almost impossible to join eastern cargo apron with the central due to the levels-as well as the problem of the RFFS-if western apron was to be extended then unlikely to be of much use for pax, there is no direct route between the two for buses, ground equipement etc-unlike the eastern

Regular Cappuccino
9th Nov 2006, 21:28
Also i havent seen one for an extension to the passenger apron. where could they go????

As Almost Prof said, if the Central Apron (40's) was extended, it would stretch south, over what is now car park (& for the time being, the works compound for the new Pier), taking out another of the 'fingers' in the Maintenance Area. No plans for this at present though, as far as I know.
RC

UPS@EMA
10th Nov 2006, 13:44
Anyone any news on these new operators to India poss and Pakistan. I see it wont be Shaheen Airlines coz they are apparently going to start DSA - Islamabad, unless we have aquired this flight.

Also any other new news????

Regards

Stu

virginblue
12th Nov 2006, 11:03
bmi baby has requested slots for a daily MUC route for summer 2007. Slots at MUC for the requested 14 o'clock MON-FRI arrival have not been cleared, however. Cleared at this point are slots for morning arrivals on SAT/SUN.

NutLoose
12th Nov 2006, 11:30
I hear they have just had a top level meeting at the Airport to discuss the Wabbit problem, Unbeknown to them though, there was a spy amongst their ranks :rolleyes:

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/il2skins/East_Midlands.jpg

phil_2405
12th Nov 2006, 12:56
Brilliant NutLoose! :ok: :ok:

SAM-EMA
13th Nov 2006, 18:20
Hello guys, im new to PPRune and this is my first post. I visited EMA last week and the new apron was full; TCX, FCA, BD etc. I was just wondering if anyone has any more information on the new pier. I do hope it does get air-bridges. Thanks for any replies.

SAM-EMA

Lite
13th Nov 2006, 21:06
Just heard today that this new "pier" will simply be a collective group of boarding gates (ie queuing grids, a podium and a couple of seats) as to have anything more such as shops would have required additional planning permission which could have taken up to two years. If the facilities are to be as spartan as has been suggested, I could imagine this area being used predominantly by Ryanair, and this seems to be the suggestion going round, though this does put into question the future of Gates 1-5, possibly longhaul gates? The downside of FR using this pier is that whilst pax can walk on, they will require buses for arriving pax, which I know they've not been keen to pay Servisair for in the past.

In other news, is there any confirmation on what Thomsonfly are doing next summer? I've heard it's four based aircraft, and CVT's future is being weighed up.

phil_2405
13th Nov 2006, 22:18
The new pier will not have airbridges and apparently it will be quite basic (e.g. cheap) as Lite says. Disappointed with the airport management on this one as I think its quite short-sighted not to install an airbridge or 2. Although I guess the design could include the possibility to install in the future. I imagine it may look like some of the boarding areas at Luton with queuing grids etc. Would seem to make sense for Ryanair to use the gates but whats the problem with gates 1-5? Why cant other carriers use them?
I can't see Thomsonfly closing down CVT, can they?!

Little Blue
14th Nov 2006, 05:36
If the new pier is going to be cheap and nasty and its going to be mainly for Ryanairs use, then I think the two are made for each other !
Not that I'm biased, mind ! :\

bmibaby.com
14th Nov 2006, 06:43
I had heard Gates 1-5 will be a mixture of bmibaby gates as well as longhaul boarding gates the latter predominantly thanks to the second security screening area.

Thomsonfly are unlikely to close their base at Coventry any time soon, as they are the only scheduled operator there, I can imagine CVT's management would be desperate for them to stay. It just seems that Coventry's passenger numbers have seen a much sharper fall than at other airports in the region, and TOM are very restricted in their growth both by terminal space & runway length. Coventry would be better suited to a low-cost airline that requires the very spartan facilities it provides for flights under three hours, not always Thomson's bread-and-butter. Growth at EMA has been on the cards for some time according to people I know at Thomsonfly, and some have been speculating whether this growth will be to the detriment of CVT.

egnxema
14th Nov 2006, 09:44
SAM-EMA

Welcome mate! Good to have you with us.

If you read back a few pages you will be able to get up to speed with what we all know (or are prepared to say) about the pier.

Keep reading - and contributing.

:ok:

SAM-EMA
14th Nov 2006, 15:48
Thanks for the advice egnxema. Well, I can't wait for the pier to be built, and it's a shame that it won't have air bridges as I would of hoped. I agree with you Little Blue, the very basic new pier will go well with ryanair. Thanks for the welcoming.

SAM-EMA

bmibaby.com
14th Nov 2006, 18:41
Perhaps I'm the only one who doesn't understand the hype about airbridges? I for one quite enjoy the idea of actually walking up the stairs to my plane, whilst this is not the time of year that best exemplifies walking given the wind & rain, I think there's something enjoyable about walking across the ramp to the aircraft. Practically, EMA is a predominantly low-cost & charter airport who are looking at keeping their costs as low as possible, as a result they're unlikely not only to want to pay for airbridges, but also add time to their turnarounds by having the airbridge attached. I'd prefer that BHX keeps their Taj Mahal terminal with airbridges etc. and we continue to attract airlines that can give us low-fares and passenger growth!

SeamusCVT
14th Nov 2006, 19:22
Growth at EMA has been on the cards for some time according to people I know at Thomsonfly, and some have been speculating whether this growth will be to the detriment of CVT.

Not if todays news is anything to go by...flights from CVT to ORY, AMS and JER to continue in to Summer 2007.

Maybe EMA's TOM expansion (if it happens) might be to the detriment of another base...no DSA-ORY route next Summer for example.....

phil_2405
14th Nov 2006, 23:01
TOM are to have 3 based a/c in Summer 07 so EMA already has some growth from them :ok:

egnxema
15th Nov 2006, 08:59
I for one quite enjoy the idea of actually walking up the stairs to my plane, whilst this is not the time of year that best exemplifies walking given the wind & rain, I think there's something enjoyable about walking across the ramp to the aircraft.

I agree with you, the walk out is all part of it for me. But as the LoCo's seem to be put off by Airbridges, is it also true that traditional airlines are put off by their absence?

SAM-EMA
15th Nov 2006, 11:22
I have to agree I too enjoy walking across the apron to board flights, but I also like the idea of air bridges, because it could possibly encourage an international airline to fly from EMA. I think it will be fantastic if we get the Jet Airways link to Mubai, but I do think that Birmingham or Manchester has got more chance in gaining it. But you don't know what will happen until it is announced-both BHX and MAN have links to Asia, but EMA hasn't yet, so...

SAM-EMA

bmibaby.com
15th Nov 2006, 17:13
Maybe this is only me, but I really don't think that it's airbridges which encourage an airline to launch flights to a new airport. I would think it's the landing fees, catchment area, demand for the route, any marketing subsidies available and to a lesser extent perhaps the general facilities of the airport (more likely to be ample check-in facilities, quick security queues, lounge availability) rather than covered walkways to the terminal. You'll actually notice a common complaint from many airlines, particularly those in the low-cost sector or smaller airlines, is that these gold-plated terminals that airports want to build for prestige, bump up the cost of flying to these airports and are inherently unpopular. Most airlines would prefer a functional terminal, which after the winter upgrades EMA is going to more than offer.

I think the questionnaire on the website more than indicates EMA's talks with airlines from that region about flights, after all a number of FR cities were offered in a similar questionnaire before Ryanair eventually announced their new routes.

Heard the other day that Penauille-Servisair may go to being called just Servisair again. Any truth in that rumour?

almost professional
15th Nov 2006, 18:01
The pier will be as described-fairly basic, with escalator from existing Departures and stairs down-gives 6 new gates, no plans to make it Ryanair only, but may change when in operation-sat in tower last night and counted stands versus A/C known to be based next summer and I made it one spare on the central!

Mr Angry from Purley
15th Nov 2006, 18:32
Came in from BRU last night, immigration having work in progress by usual door so rather than the 4 lines of back and forwards, it became 7 or 8 of short up and down round and round until i became dizzy. Come on that is so Mickey mouse its unbelieveable:\

phil_2405
15th Nov 2006, 20:57
sat in tower last night and counted stands versus A/C known to be based next summer and I made it one spare on the central!

Do you mind listing the known based a/c for 07 almost prof? Would be interesting to see them all listed.

almost professional
16th Nov 2006, 13:12
bearing in mind that I have no inside info!-using this summer, plus previous posts and a bit of guess work:
5xRyanair B738
6xBmi B737
3xEasy A319
1xBma E145
1xBma A320+1 at weekends
1xExcel-MD80/B737
3xThomsonfly-2 B757 1 B737
1xEastern J41
1xTcx B757 (rumours of a second A/C)
1xMyt A320
1xFca A321
1xFca B767-6 days

SAM-EMA
16th Nov 2006, 14:59
Yeah ok bmibaby.com, but airbridges could help.
SAM-EMA

bmibaby.com
16th Nov 2006, 16:02
Sorry, I totally disagree, it's this Taj Mahal mentality of adding expensive luxuries to an airport like airbridges when there are perfectly functioning alternatives which make airlines less enthusiastic about certain airports, particularly if you take in comments made at this year's World Low Cost Airline meeting a few months back. I see where you're coming from, but can think of other priorities for EMA, after all BHX has them and at this moment of time, we're doing very nicely in terms of passenger figures on the increase.

Almost Prof's list of aircraft looks very good but if I could make one correction. The second bmi A320 will be around for longer than the weekend next summer as it will replace the Excel MD-83, Excel are closing their own operations at EMA. On the days when the second bmi 320 isn't around, I believe it's a BHX-based Air Malta machine which is operating flights.

SAM-EMA
16th Nov 2006, 16:23
I understand where you are coming from bmibaby.com and I totally agree with you that they have more important things to worry about, but I was just thinking about the long-term when they possibly will have or need them. SAM-EMA

Lite
16th Nov 2006, 17:10
I've actually heard that it will be the same week-long based bmi Airbus 320 as this summer, but there won't be a second 320 at the airport at all now as the airline is to take over Astraeus' operation for MyTravel at LBA instead, rather the second aircraft which will also be based for longer will be an Air Malta aircraft handled by Servisair unlike Menzies' bmi. This is only what I've heard, but apparently Servisair are getting a significantly larger Air Malta contract for 2007 than in previous years.

Mike16
16th Nov 2006, 18:29
Hi Guys

Great news for EMA then, i am so excited about all these new routes etc, about time i say.
Well i have a freind who works for Air Malta and he has told me, that from next April, they are having a base at EMA along with LGW and MAN, they will be recruiting in Feb 07.
They will have intially one aircraft and is sure a second will join in June time, they are doing all the charter flights like greece and spain etc....
He speaks very highly of them, nice crew and lovely aircraft even with a first class cabin.
So will be nice to see another carrier here, they have signed for an 18 month agreement he said.

Regular Cappuccino
16th Nov 2006, 21:13
No sooner had we got the lawn looking nice, than we dug it up again!
Broke ground for the new pier on Tuesday. :D

When I've spoken to Chilli Monster and found out how to upload the photo, I'll give it a go.

I'm with bmibaby.com regarding the airbridges though. Given that the pier will not be huge, airbridges attached to the pier would probably only be able to serve a couple of stands, and then only for departing pax, since arrivals would still need to be bussed to the far end of the terminal. A lot of outlay for very little practical gain. I reckon the airport have got it about right on this one - a cheap, efficient, practical extension, without a vast expenditure on frills. (& it will only be single storey anyway).

Oh, and it's not primarily aimed at lo-co operators either. Should serve the '40' stands in the November cul-de-sac and probably one or two of the '30s' as well, which will save a lot of bussing for departing pax.

And watch out, Almost Prof - I heard today that there might well be 7 based RYR aircraft by the end of next year.
RC

Centre cities
16th Nov 2006, 21:51
Yes but are they paying anything and are the aiport making any money out of the flights. Passenger numbers are one thing, making money is another.

It may be after the dip in passengers 2005 and no sign of a recovery that they were fairly desperate to attract them and reverse this.

Does anybody know.

Centre cities

phil_2405
16th Nov 2006, 21:59
I doubt many people know what Ryanair pay the airport, I imagine it's quite a closely guarded secret.
I would be very surprised if EMA ends 2007 with just 5 based Ryanair a/c though, which begs the questions...is there room for more?

Centre cities
16th Nov 2006, 22:05
The improvements to the terminal can not come quick enough.

Picked up a relative on the Rome flight today, landed just after the other Rome flight and had to wait for it to be disembarked first before they could get off the aircraft. Took an age to come through immigration/customs.

Centre cities

Lite
17th Nov 2006, 12:12
Heard the other day that Penauille-Servisair may go to being called just Servisair again. Any truth in that rumour?

This has been floating around for a couple of weeks, as the Penauille part of the name seems to officious and non-aviation related. With all of the rebranding exercises that have been taking place over the last couple of years, I don't know whether Servisair still have the finance to do it, but apparently it's being considered!

emaint2003
18th Nov 2006, 10:27
Have heard that the new terminal is now no longer on the cards as the original budget of 35-40 million could not be achieved and that it had ballooned to over 80. Little wonder when Manchester get involved they like their gold plating. With all this additional Ryanair traffic the terminal building will be pretty full, especially with the security brought forward to the old Ilkeston Travel shop. It will have to mean very slick security queues or else mayhem in the check in hall.Next summer will be very interesting.

SAM-EMA
18th Nov 2006, 16:43
I'm sorry emaint2003, but what do you mean when you say 'new terminal'?

Thanks SAM-EMA

Lite
18th Nov 2006, 17:57
The new terminal mentioned is the building which graced the covers of the proposed masterplan for the airport, a glass-fronted structure which would have been constructed alongside the current terminal. MAG unfortunately were not able to provide the necessary funding to go ahead with this major building work, so instead the airport is making do best with what it has, by adding extensions all over the place (I count; the low-cost airline check-in hall, the new pier and the new shopping mall by arrivals) and a major overhaul of the existing facilities which has been ongoing for a while. The entrance to the security queue will start at the old Ilkeston Co-Op Travel shop (currently being used by the Aviation Hobby Shop but will become Securicor offices) though I believe the provisions are for these to house both the queue to the security checkpoint & central search, so queues shouldn't extend into the check-in hall.

bmibabyfc
19th Nov 2006, 19:48
next summer will be very interesting .....

the airports plans keep changing weekly .......

regards as ever

bmibabyFC

egnxema
20th Nov 2006, 11:58
Is it a definate then - about the new terminal being a no-go??

The current one, even with this winter's modifications, must be within sight of maxing out? And if Ryanair should base even more aircraft here in the next 24 months then the place will be without elbow room.

So if no new terminal is planned, what is the alternative, hopefully not a piecemeal collection of tents and corridors and temp structures. :sad:

UPS@EMA
21st Nov 2006, 10:30
Any new developments over the last wee or has it been quiet??????

BTW got a ride on the new Thomas Cook A330 G-TCXA back from Cayo Coco Sunday to Manchester. smart interior and better IFE but not as much leg room.

Regards

Stu

Lite
21st Nov 2006, 17:15

I know as soon as I type this there'll probably be a major announcement from the airport, but I'm struggling to see what else the airport can reveal for the time being. Ryanair have announced their big base expansion for next summer, the charters' programmes are pretty much released now, the terminal building work has been revealed and last month we saw the launch of the new Skylink Leicester service. I think things are pretty much sown up with the exception of concrete news of the terminal refurbishment, further improving of the public transport to the airport (I've heard the airline shuttle could go 24/7 like the Skylink Nottingham), any handling changes, and the off chance of any new routes, particularly something from easyJet considering their change in contract - though all of these things won't be firmed up until closer to the start of the summer season.

END BAG
22nd Nov 2006, 18:09
hi lite
i was wondering if you could elaborate on something you put in your last post; "something from easyjet considering their change in contract". what sort of change has been made?

Lite
22nd Nov 2006, 20:16
hi lite
i was wondering if you could elaborate on something you put in your last post; "something from easyjet considering their change in contract". what sort of change has been made?

This is yet to be announced, their initial contract with the airport was a five-year contract signed in February 2002 by Go Fly, which was obviously swallowed up by easyJet. Since the merger, EMA has remained exactly the same size at three aircraft, though there has been some changing around of the routes. There are numerous theories circling the airport about what next summer could bring for easyJet. Either, they continue as they have done for the last five years as EMA must be doing something right to keep a steady five aircraft. Or, they could look at expanding the number of aircraft based at the airport as there is something like six aircraft as part of next year's expansion programme which have not yet been assigned a base for expansion. Finally, they could possibly move their operations to another airport in the region willing to accomodate easyJet for a better price.

bmibabyfc
22nd Nov 2006, 21:12
well with baby set to announce even further NEW routes out of BHX i think EMA may well be getting one of these destinations should we get another a/c based here.....

and these destinations are quite impressive too let me tell you that ..... just hope at least one of them come to EMA .....

regards

bmibabyfc

phil_2405
22nd Nov 2006, 21:41
Any idea when baby are due to decide/announce where the new based aircraft will go? Fingers crossed for NEMA :)

bmibabyfc
22nd Nov 2006, 21:54
yes my fingers will be crossed!!!!
apparantly theyve not even got the a/c confirmed yet .....

phil_2405
22nd Nov 2006, 22:10
I believe the 1st Ryanair EMA-MAD service operated today :ok:

Ryan_EMA
23rd Nov 2006, 07:40
I believe the 1st Ryanair EMA-MAD service operated today :ok:

Yes you're right.
A/C came 10min late due to ATC slot in MAD.

END BAG
23rd Nov 2006, 08:45
you are right phil.it did start yesterday .The EMA-MAD arrives at 08-40 and departs at 09-05.first service had 56 inbound and 68 outbound.It does not run daily this week but i dont know if it is going to be a daily service in the future.

egnxema
23rd Nov 2006, 13:34
Some good destinations from BHX with WW.

I am surprised that neither WW or EZY brought BCN back to EMA. At one time both carriers operated it. And with WW starting from BHX there is an clear market for it from the Midlands. Maybe baby will add it to EMA in 07?

Buster the Bear
23rd Nov 2006, 16:23
http://thebusinessonline.com/Document.aspx?id=BE482F1C-EE05-4523-8FA3-23E2C3551733

Lite
23rd Nov 2006, 17:13
This has been rumoured for a little while that Manchester Airport Group would just end up becoming Manchester Airport, it seems that MAG have done just about enough to improve the facilities for EMA for immediate expansion, though as has been mentioned before the lack of funding for a decent new terminal either implies MAG aren't a fit parent, have no long term interest in EMA or both. What interests me is who would be interested in purchasing us? BHX is majority owned by Macquarie Airports Group (who also own BRS) & Aer Rianta. This group might be interested in cementing their position in the East Midlands. The only two other companies I can think of are Peel (who are probably most interested in their DSA investment) and TBI (who have done wonders for London Luton.)

Cyrano
23rd Nov 2006, 17:21
BHX is majority owned by Macquarie Airports Group (who also own BRS) & Aer Rianta. This group might be interested in cementing their position in the East Midlands.

Surely competition concerns would preclude the BHX owner(s) from also taking over EMA? See, for example, the plan by BRS's owner to take over EXT, since abandoned after being sent to the Competition Commission (http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/inquiries/ref2005/exeter/cancellation_notice.pdf).

bmibaby.com
23rd Nov 2006, 17:43
Whoever the new owners are, it'd be nice for them to drop the word "Nottingham" from the name of the airport, as it's alienating people from the other parts of the East Midlands, and doesn't appear to have made much difference in people's understanding of where the airport is. Also a slightly more exciting corporate identity would be nice. The MAG branding is so bland. Bring back "Your easy midlands airport" if you ask me!

en2r
23rd Nov 2006, 17:59
This has been rumoured for a little while that Manchester Airport Group would just end up becoming Manchester Airport, it seems that MAG have done just about enough to improve the facilities for EMA for immediate expansion, though as has been mentioned before the lack of funding for a decent new terminal either implies MAG aren't a fit parent, have no long term interest in EMA or both. What interests me is who would be interested in purchasing us? BHX is majority owned by Macquarie Airports Group (who also own BRS) & Aer Rianta. This group might be interested in cementing their position in the East Midlands. The only two other companies I can think of are Peel (who are probably most interested in their DSA investment) and TBI (who have done wonders for London Luton.)
I don't think the Irish state-owned Dublin Airport Authority (who got the stake in BHX when Aer Rianta was broken up) will want to be investing in anymore foreign airports for the foreseable future. They are already financially stretched paying for the huge new terminal planned for Dublin airport, as well as paying for Cork airport's new terminal (which was part of agreement when Aer Rianta was dissolved).

groundedforgood
23rd Nov 2006, 18:34
BHX is majority owned by Macquarie Airports Group (who also own BRS) & Aer Rianta. This group might be interested in cementing their position in the East Midlands. their DSA investment) and TBI (who have done wonders for London Luton.)

It's not really correct that Macquarie are majority shareholders in BHX, they had @ 22% last I heard. The Seven West Midlands' District Councils own 49%, a further 3% or so takes the form of an Employee Share Trust.
I don't think that (N)EMA will see an investment from them.

GFG

Ben Jones
23rd Nov 2006, 19:31
Hey guys,

I was just recently looking into some information on Nottingham East Midlands Airport and i couldnt for the life of me find a map showing all the 2006 flight destinations serviced from EMA within the UK + Europe, does such a map exist!?

Any help would be much appreciated :D

Ben. J

P.S Any historians here who know of any good articles on the history of the Airport either, Wikipidia is hardly a trusted source i must admit!:ugh:

egnxema
24th Nov 2006, 09:13
I know as soon as I type this there'll probably be a major announcement from the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS@EMA

Quote:
Three UK airports being prepared for sale
By : Ben Marlow 22/11/2006

THREE of Britain’s non-privatised airports – East Midlands, Bourne*mouth and Humberside – are being considered for sale by owner Manchester Airports Group.

:p This is why I love this industry, just when things seem quiet, you never know what is round the corner.

I totally agree with you bmibay.com - the MAG Corp image is very dull, and I have commented before about the naff photograph on the front of the Terminal building.

The old Blue/Yellow was a stong look.

EastMids
24th Nov 2006, 10:10
the MAG Corp image is very dull, and I have commented before about the naff photograph on the front of the Terminal building. The old Blue/Yellow was a stong look.
Who gives a stuff about the corporate image? :bored: Passengers use an airport because its in the right place, because there's flights going to where they want to go at times they want to go. They don't chose an airport because it has a pretty logo at the entrance.

As it happens, I don't use Nottingham-EMA anymore because the miserable airlines that operate from the airport don't do useful things like through checkin to long-haul destinations via CDG, AMS, etc (which I used to do a lot), and because if you buy flights carefully the "real" airlines down the road at BHX usually offer as good value as those out of EMA but also make travel a more convenient and user-friendly experience. The logo on the front of the building won't change that.

Andy

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
24th Nov 2006, 10:34
Might just be worth reading my last post on Manchester forum as it may well have quite an effect on NEMA

G-I-B

egnxema
24th Nov 2006, 13:36
If MAG have stated they have not got the cash to invest in a new Pax Terminal at EMA, then this could be the perfect time to have the airport sold to new investors.

EMA does not need a Steel & Glass monument, ala STN. But what it does need is a well designed, effecient pax terminal, maximising on pax experience.

To me that means: Bright, well lit, a big security area to keep queues down. Walking access to and from all stands, (still over the tarmac, no need for airbridges) but minimise the need for buses on the apron. And a big baggage hall with at least 6 baggage belts.

Retail - enough for a full duty free selection and enough retail to make the airport money, while avoiding the LHR T3 Shopping Mall experience.

Get an investor that can deliver this, and EMA should be singing!

Daza
24th Nov 2006, 18:56
Could be what the midlands needs if its two major airports work together. Both airports could provide the region with much improved air services. The midlands region as a whole suffers from its proximity to London and being third choice after Manchester.
Daza

bmibaby.com
24th Nov 2006, 19:24
Sorry EastMids, but I think rule number one of marketing is to have a good brand. The current branding, the public face of the company, is very bland and uninspired, with the name doing very little for good community relations.

The new terminal egnxema describes would be the ideal situation for EMA, but whether we will see it any time soon is of course another question. The current terminal seems to be an endless set of annexes, chopping about and generally quite dingy compared to the modern terminals of airports like BHX.

I do like the idea of a Midlands Airport Group between BHX/EMA playing off of each others' strengths however as stated, the monopolies commision may have something to say about such a pairing. Weren't BHX interested in putting in a bid for CVT before CAOCO got in there first?

jongeman
24th Nov 2006, 22:21
Why should MAG miraculously produce a new terminal at EMA??!! There are two questions to ask. Firstly, is it needed? No. Secondly, would the investment pay for itself? Again, probably, no.

EMA has done very well, under MAG stewardship, in pinching BHX's passengers, putting the East Midlands/Nottingham/or wherever on the map, and sustaining EasyJet, Ryanair AND bmibaby services to Europe. 10 years ago, EMA was practically nothing in comparison to what it is today.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with EMA's branding. It's an accessible airport, used by people from everywhere within spitting distance of the M1/A50, and re-branding the place isn't going to matter one iota to its success.

IMHO
25th Nov 2006, 09:53
Sorry Jongeman - have to disagree with the answers to the above-
1/ Is it needed - Most definately-despite best efforts -have you seen the bedlam at 0600am!
2/ Will investment pay for itself - (do number 1 properly and you have the answer to number 2.)

baby.com and egnxema have hit the nail on the head - nothing space-age
just an efficent building - not comprising of bolted on porta-cabins and annexes - Very Legoland!! -
and don't worry bout the cost of airbridges -
not wanted by LCC's anyway.

I agree under MAG's stewardship the airport has gone from strength to strength - which you should take credit for - (could sense defence mechanisms in your post - especially re the branding issue!) and that BHX loss is EMA's gain - posing questions for management at BIA - not my worry!
The hope is any new Investors in EMA, seize the opportunity re the terminal
In my honest opinion. ;)

Chilli Monster
25th Nov 2006, 10:53
Notwithstanding any backroom politics the new pier work continues (pictures by almost professional)

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/DSC00008.jpg

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/DSC00009.jpg

phil_2405
25th Nov 2006, 12:02
Sorry Jongeman - have to disagree with the answers to the above-
1/ Is it needed - Most definately-despite best efforts -have you seen the bedlam at 0600am!

I was at the airport yesterday morning, bedlam it was not! I appreciate it is winter but I don't think there is a massive difference between winter & summer anymore. Having said that, it would be nice to see a new, large terminal extension IF the airport is sold. I think this winter's redevelopment works will improve the airport a lot...looking foward to seeing it all completed next year :ok:

Lite
25th Nov 2006, 12:23
phil, you're certainly not the only one who is waiting with anticipation to see the endless changing around of the terminal to stable out just a little bit. Over the last two years whilst it has been pleasing to see passenger numbers increase, the level of building work around the terminal doesn't make it a particularly pleasant airport to fly through. Whilst a new terminal isn't required right now, if we don't have one, then it's just going to be even more chopping & changing, for the cost of doing all of that, we could have had one very nice, competitive terminal with BHX. EMA is doing well as a low-cost airport, but we have to make sure that people want to keep using us. This includes a public image for the entire region, improved public transport links (though to be fair to the airport the last 18 months has seen wonderful improvements already) and keeping the airport competitive as a local airport against BHX, CVT and other modes of transport.

SAM-EMA
25th Nov 2006, 16:03
Very good pics Chilli Monster.

Thanks for posting them.

FROM SAM-EMA

IMHO
25th Nov 2006, 17:23
Think Lite summed it up -and sorry I disagree a November morning IS different to a July/August morning- and by bedlam I mean - confusion and disorder - my last experience through as a pax EMA involved some of the following-
1/ having queues stretch back past the bmibaby check-in desks - despite the polite and professionalism of the security staff on duty - (this didnt give the impression of an terminal that could cope.)
2/ once airside the basic shape of the Dep lounge makes it like a rugby scum to squeeze by other pax - surrounding gates waiting to board flights- a newer dep lounge would solve this
3/ only 10 mins drop off/pick up - (a bean counter obviously thought this one up!!) all you need is some buffoon who lost there ticket at exit gate and the domino effect starts - desperate! -
4/ being held on board due FR or WW boarding on adjacent stand-
don't mind this too much as I'd rather see investment in point 1-3 than waste money on arbridges.
5/not enough airside facilities for people dropping pax off - (a money making opportunity lost in my opinion.)
Some of the above - of course are probably the exception rather than the rule- however these issues will only become more apparent as pax numbers (and tempers) increase.
With respect- the rose coloured spectacles need to be taken off sometimes and the journey through EMA needs to be considered from a pax point of view- just my honest opinion!

bmibaby.com
25th Nov 2006, 18:44
My concern if the new owners were to build a brand new terminal would be whether the cost of constructing such a new facility would discourage further growth from low-cost airlines. They are very keen not to be surrounded by glittery new facilities which drive their costs up, Liverpool seems to have done well with their new terminal as has Luton (though after some initial controversy) and this is the model that any new owners ought to pursue if a new terminal is required.

In the meantime, there's plenty that the airport management can do to make use of the facilities they have, and they seem to be doing this. Ensuring that the new security queue facilities can actually house the queue particularly during Slot One rather than spilling into the check-in hall. Working with handling agents over how flights are boarded, and whether they could install boarding grids so that passengers don't spill out all over the lounge. I don't think we need airbridges as this will only put off airlines who are looking to keep their costs down, but they ought to make sure passengers are quickly processed through arrivals working with Customs, Immigration and the handling agents. The new shopping mall by Arrivals should answer your question, IMHO, with regards to landside facilities, this is supposed to house Spar, Boots, Costa Coffee, the information desk and I've heard there might even be an M&S FoodHall.

NutLoose
25th Nov 2006, 20:22
The new economy Pier is about in place, tests were ongoing last week lol :8 :8 :oh:

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/il2skins/east_midlands_pier.jpg

easyboy
25th Nov 2006, 20:31
hehe, yeh thats about right for EMA

EastMids
25th Nov 2006, 22:29
The new economy Pier is about in place, tests were ongoing last week lol :8 :8 :oh:
Not quite... The EMA pier actually a flat-pack self-assembly affair made out of uprights and corrogated boarding - "airport piers" can usually be found between "garden sheds" and "gazebos" in larger B&Q Depot branches!

bmibaby.com
26th Nov 2006, 12:19
I know we all like to joke, but joking aside, has anybody actually seen pictures of what the terminal is going to look like on May 1st 2007, when the airport is certain that all this new building work is going to be finished? It seems that they're doing the best that they can given the financial circumstances, though it would be nice for there to be more feedback opportunities for those from within the airport to make suggestions.

I'm really pleased to see some of the new bmibaby routes from BHX, as it does offer some hope for what we could have from EMA if we get the sixth based aircraft which is either coming here or going to CWL it seems. I've heard a lot about twice-daily ABZ plus two sun routes offered from the BHX programme but not here. Rumours also abound that FAO will be twice weekly next summer rather than the current Saturday-only offering.

Lite
26th Nov 2006, 18:19
Obviously we can expect tomorrow morning when easyJet launch their Summer 2007 schedule the same routes as always; AGP, ALC, FAO, VCE, CIA, PRG & CGN. We really shouldn't complain because they provide a steady flow of passengers, seem to be doing very successfully ploughing the same old routes, and there seems to be a case for why expand if there's no need? The airline has not assigned any new aircraft for EMA in 07 as part of their expansion plans, they do have 3 aircraft not assigned to any particular base, but I don't see any coming here. I can imagine there are a number of airports locally who would love to have easyJet's operation; Coventry, Doncaster/Sheffield, maybe even Birmingham - but if I remember correctly EZY put out a tender in April for these airports, and nothing really came of them so they've stuck here. With the new contract due to be signed any time soon if the current one ends in February, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. I doubt they'll leave, as I can't see where they'd go at such short notice.

Any idea what the number of based aircraft and routes is looking like for Thomsonfly? I've heard one B733, one B752 and one B763.

Also any handling news?

phil_2405
26th Nov 2006, 19:02
Lite, I've heard that EMA are in the running for one of those unallocated easyJet A319's but like most on here I won't hold my breath! I fully expect the 'normal' routes only to go on sale tomorrow. I think the airport has more chance of getting an additional baby than an additional easyJet.

Not sure on Thomsonfly, 1xB738 and 2xB757's maybe? There B767's are more sparse now due to retiring the B762's.

OltonPete
26th Nov 2006, 21:02
Lite

Interesting info re DSA, CVT and BHX.

There have been several rumours that BHX were more than interested
(and well before flybe/Bacon news) in doing deals and Easy was one of the ones mentioned. Usual source, a friend of a friend of a man down the pub but you would hope that BHX would keep an open mind or should I say open line to all airlines (well except one!).

Trouble is, what BHX call a deal and what Easy call a deal is probably
miles apart. Whether Easy would want the bother of fighting with BE
and WW when money can probably me made elsewhere is another
matter.

Pete

Lite
26th Nov 2006, 22:01
I'm in total agreement that the EMA base will probably stay with three based aircraft for another five years, because easyJet must be earning some money for them not to pull out and also realised that there is no room for them to feasibly expand. A lot of easyJet's major cities are now in close competition to routes already served at reasonable frequencies by Ryanair, bmibaby or Thomsonfly. They could easily add two or three new routes even without adding any more aircraft just by tightening up the schedule, but tomorrow I think will only bring the same routes as we've seen many times before. Whatever happens, let's just hope for my sake that if they're around EMA next summer that they stick with Servisair!

Where are Thomsonfly getting their B738s from? I know there are a few airports like LTN, DSA & NCL who all seem to be expecting these planes for next summer, though I didn't know that TOM had any on order.

phil_2405
27th Nov 2006, 17:57
I had the same thoughts Lite, IF easyJet were to expand from NEMA I would struggle to see which routes they might go for.

phil_2405
27th Nov 2006, 19:06
Where are Thomsonfly getting their B738s from? I know there are a few airports like LTN, DSA & NCL who all seem to be expecting these planes for next summer, though I didn't know that TOM had any on order.
14.08.2006 The UK's third largest airline Thomsonfly has today announced the planned purchase of five new Boeing aircraft over as part of a series of investments and initiatives to increase the efficiency of its airline operation.
Two Boeing 737-300s will be new to the Thomsonfly fleet and the airline will also take delivery of three brand new Boeing 737-800 aircraft direct from the airline manufacturer in the first quarter of next year.

No new easyJet routes as expected :confused:

easyboy
27th Nov 2006, 19:49
Lite, I've heard that EMA are in the running for one of those unallocated easyJet A319's but like most on here I won't hold my breath! I fully expect the 'normal' routes only to go on sale tomorrow. I think the airport has more chance of getting an additional baby than an additional easyJet..

I really don't see it happening myself, it would be nice it really would but I really don't think it's going to happen.

Binder
27th Nov 2006, 20:51
Why should easyjet throw extra aircraft into the Midlands Low cost 'battle ground' when they can make more money placing them in Europe?

Coventry doesn't fit.

Birmingham would do but their charges are too expensive.

As always, time will tell . There should be no surprises in this game!

Binder

phil_2405
27th Nov 2006, 21:23
I think we would all agree with you Binder but apparently EZY are considering it.

easyboy
28th Nov 2006, 08:42
I've not long ago recieved an e-mai from easyJet with regards to the summer flights now on sale from EMA, here is what part of it says:

"Many of your favourite destinations from Nottingham East Midlands are now on sale, including Malaga, Alicante, Palma and Faro, so you're bound to find some fantastic fares. But at our low prices, summer demand is going to be hot, hot, hot so don't delay!"

Palma Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I think this is an error

bmibaby.com
28th Nov 2006, 09:59
With greatest respect to easyJet's EMA based crew, you have to wonder both how important the base if for easyJet, and how important it is for the airport to have easyJet there. The base hasn't expanded since easyJet's arrival (under Go) in 2002, and since then there has been expansion onto traditional easyJet routes from other low-cost airlines, meaning expansion has to be limited. I don't doubt that the base in it's current guise is profitable, otherwise easyJet would have pulled out, but unlike other markets where easyJet seem to dominate, they are a relatively small fry in the midlands market. From the airport's perspective they have three stands which are currently being utilised by an airline that appears to have no interest in expansion, when perhaps they could be better used by one of the other low-cost airlines.

easyboy
28th Nov 2006, 10:16
If it ain't broke there is no need to fix it.

Yes expansion for EZY would be great, for the airport, crew's and passengers, but there is absolutley no need to make changes if it works perfectly well - which it does.

egnxema
28th Nov 2006, 10:38
easyJet - easyboy, surely the "if it aint broke don't fix it" proverb doesn't apply to expansion. If you are expanding a profitable business, you are not trying to fix it, you are trying to make more profit - and that is what airlines want to do - make profit.

CALL CENTRES

On a different subject - I am trying to get from EMA - BRU on 26/12, but it seems that BD have no flights for the whole week from 23/12 - 31/12. Are BD leaving the ERJ parked up at EMA for the whole week?

Anyway - I called BD, Reservations now no longer seems to be at Donington Hall, but has been outsourced overseas. I asked for flights from East Midlands to Brussels and the very helpful Res Agent said "I'm sorry, we don't fly from East Midlands - you need to call bmibaby." I said, "I'm very sure british midland do fly East Midlands to Brussels." She said she would check. "Oh yes, we do fly, but only twice a week now. We fly East Midlands to Brussels on Mondays and Tuesdays only." I said that doesn't really make sense, can you check. She "checked" and said " Yes, only twice a week."

A quick call to Donington Hall confirmed that maybe outsourcing the airline's main reservations centre overseas was not the best idea!

So......I am still trying to get EMABRU on 26DEC. Have checked BHX but SN fly too late in the day. Eurostar it is then.

Mr Angry from Purley
28th Nov 2006, 15:33
egnx
bmi regional have cancelled most of the flights between xmas and new year on the BRU route, up to around the 7th of Jan
There are flights from LHR on 26/12 :\

bmibaby.com
28th Nov 2006, 16:05
Are bmi regional operating their full schedule to BRU from LBA?

Lite
28th Nov 2006, 16:38
easyJet started out with such promise from EMA, it has been a shame that they now appear to have been hemmed in by all of the previously mentioned low-cost airlines at EMA, as well as the further competition that comes from Coventry and Birmingham. I have been surprised that easyJet haven't considered expanding from Doncaster-Sheffield considering EZY's very good relationship with Peel Holdings who also own Liverpool their second UK base, and there is no way that easyJet would consider having bases at the two airports. As DSA is hoping to expand at quite a rapid pace with Thomsonfly unable really to fill that as a predominantly holiday airline, easyJet would appear to be the ideal airport partner, it'd be interesting to know if DSA had put in some sort of tender for easyJet and more so what EMA has offered to keep easyJet here.

andy_13
29th Nov 2006, 00:33
Hi all.
I found this thread completely by chance but as I live in Beeston :ok: and am a fairly regular EAM spotter/photogapher it was a good find. Anyway just thought I'd say hi.
Andy S :)

egnxema
29th Nov 2006, 09:19
Hello Andy - welcome! :ok:

Anyone fancy MAD?

EMAMAD 19JAN07
MADEMA 22JAN07

An incredible £17 rtn inc taxes!

bmibaby.com
29th Nov 2006, 12:57
I'm interested to know right now how much more space we're going to have on the ramp for any more aircraft after those that have currently been confirmed;

Ryanair 5x Boeing 737-800s
bmibaby 5 x Boeing 737-300s (think all -500s will be in BHX or disposed of)
easyJet 3 x Airbus A319
bmi regional 1 x ERJ-145
MyTravel 1 x Airbus A320
First Choice 1 x Airbus A321 plus 1 x Boeing 767-300 (the latter six days a week)
Thomsonfly 1 x Boeing 737-300, 1 Boeing 757-200 and one Boeing 767-300
Thomas Cook 1 x Boeing 757-200
Air Malta 1 x Airbus A320 weeklong, plus additional weekend flights

I'd like to see more easyJet and bmibaby flights but firstly you have to wonder where is the market for these flights to go, and secondly does the airport have space both on the ramp and in the terminal for more based aircraft?

egnxema
29th Nov 2006, 15:41
bmibaby.com - is the 1 x Eastern Airways J41 to add to that?

With regard to EZY and WW expansion:

How about

BCN, LIS, MRS, NCE, MUC, LEI ? These will fit into either company's network. If EZY make CGN work - they surely could with MUC.

FR expansion seems virtually endless. I think more and more Polish routes will be added.

And another place EZY or FR should go for is RAK. It is a hot short break destination, and Thomsonfly have spotted the potential and will possibly be adding RAK as a destination in it regional flying programme next year (source TTG).

phil_2405
29th Nov 2006, 17:49
If EZY make CGN work - they surely could with MUC.

I would love someone to launch services to MUC from NEMA. Didn't someone mention a few weeks back that WW had applied for slots at MUC?

SAM-EMA
29th Nov 2006, 17:51
It looks like they might need to put a few on the east cargo apron. Its not as if they won't do it because when I went to Dublin a TOM B757 was parked on there with airstairs up to it. But anyway, my question was how easy (or difficult) do you think it would be for them to join the east cargo apron to the PAX apron. I know that the UPS building is there but I didn't know how much room there is to join them. I hope someone can help.

Plus, I think that it will be great for EMA to get such routes as mentioned back.
And, yes I'm sure that WW did apply for MUC slots.

Thanks SAM-EMA

Chilli Monster
29th Nov 2006, 18:09
my question was how easy (or difficult) do you think it would be for them to join the east cargo apron to the PAX apron. I know that the UPS building is there but I didn't know how much room there is to join them.

Not going to happen anytime soon - it would involve re-locating the Fire Service with a brand new building, equidistant from most points of the airport due to the required response times (which is why it's where it is at the moment).

SAM-EMA
29th Nov 2006, 18:22
So, its not ruled out it is a possibility in the future if they become desperate.
But its not the best option really is it because the space is needed at the time when the apron is needed. i.e PAX night stoppers and cargo arr/deps

Thanks Chilli Monster
FROM SAM-EMA

bmibaby.com
29th Nov 2006, 18:52
BCN, LIS, MRS, NCE, MUC, LEI ? These will fit into either company's network.

Would love to see Barcelona return, I think it's a joke baby mentioned slots as the reason for giving up the EMABCN route, when the timings for the new BHX service are scheduled an hour later than our's. It was clearly because baby didn't fancy competing with Ryanair going onto GRO! No chance we'll get any French routes, WW don't want to compete with Ryanair directly and will want to protect their BHX routes. Lisbon would be nice, but I wonder how much market there is in the Midlands. Almeria would be great, but I think that's more a Ryanair market.

almost professional
29th Nov 2006, 21:16
not just the Fire station-levels are quite different between the two aprons, would take a lot of very expensive earth moving to fix! point is that access between them is pretty easy for vehicles so allows use for pax if bussed

Lite
29th Nov 2006, 21:42
I think an Almeria link three times a week would be very successful for Ryanair, the only competition since flybe's retreat in the Midlands are Monarch who I think operate the route at thrice weekly frequency, though given the number of people who are now buying properties along that part of the Spanish coast, a second airline for the midlands, or at least a link from EMA, would no doubt be well used. In the meantime, people wanting to go to Almeria could always fly into Malaga, Murcia or Granada and have a leisurely drive.

Barcelona would be fantastic to have back, EMA being one of the few airports with based low-cost operators not to have a link to this marvellous city, popular not only with tourists but also a business city.

Lisbon is a difficult route for low-cost airlines due to the cost of flying into there, as well as the limited slots. There is a decently sized Portuguese population however outside of London, though I think it's best for bmibaby to test the waters with 3 flights a week from BHX.

UPS@EMA
30th Nov 2006, 10:58
Is there any news on the potential route to Pakistan and India???? also when are we expecting the announcement from Baby for the new A/C - Routes etc if EMA or CWL get it.

Also i feel the airport is missing a trick with no Scandanavian routes from the airport. ARN, TMP/HEL, OSL/TRP, CPH

Regards

Stu

PS is there any chance of a weekly update inc pics of pier

andy_13
30th Nov 2006, 14:13
Hi,

Is there any chance Ryanair would add a route to Scandinavia? Something like EMA-NVO or EMA-TMP.

Also how come there is no interest from Middle Eastern carriers? EK for example fly to some smaller airports like BHX? Or Etihad, one of their A345s or B773ERs would be an awesome sight at EMA!! I doubt it will ever happen though. :{

Andy S

UPS@EMA
30th Nov 2006, 14:47
andy,

never a 777 or A345 from Etihad but poss a 767 or 2 class A332 4 times weekly would be very good. daily even better but who knows.

I could only see Ryanair starting Scandanavian routes unless we could start a bit of a Star mini hub (and i mean mini with SAS and bmi and LH) even tho that will neva happen with BHX supporting these airlines

Regards

Stu

SAM-EMA
30th Nov 2006, 15:58
With EMA have a potential of 7 FR aircraft. I've come up with a list of routes that could possibly use the 2 remaining a/c.
Santander, Reus, Riga, Poznan, Ancona, Kaunas, Kerry, Olso (Torp), Porto, Seville and Tampere.

Also I think these routes would be great, but i can't see them happening.
Dusseldorf (Weeze), Frankfurt (Hahn), Brussels (Charleroi), Paris (Beauvais) and Stockholm (Skavsta)

What do you guys think.
From SAM-EMA

bmibaby.com
30th Nov 2006, 17:29
Santander, Reus, Riga, Poznan, Ancona, Kaunas, Kerry, Olso (Torp), Porto, Seville and Tampere.

Also I think these routes would be great, but i can't see them happening.
Dusseldorf (Weeze), Frankfurt (Hahn), Brussels (Charleroi), Paris (Beauvais) and Stockholm (Skavsta)

What do you guys think.
From SAM-EMA

Most of those routes look quite good. Except for Porto, whilst I agree that there is a market for Portuguese routes, I think it's too close to Santiago to make both routes viable and Ancona which is too close to Rimini. Whilst Beauvais is developing into quite the focus city, I think the competition on routes to Paris where these airlines are serving the main Parisian airports might put Ryanair off flying to such a distant market. Charleroi would be good, particularly with bmi regional's expensive BRU route, though I'm unaware of how relations currently are between CRL management and those at Ryanair.

Charlie Roy
30th Nov 2006, 21:11
though I'm unaware of how relations currently are between CRL management and those at Ryanair.

Relations between CRL management and Ryanair are in excellent health :E
Ryanair are fierce eager to base at least 2 more aircraft at Charleroi except that the terminal isn't big enough. New bigger terminal set to open in the run of 2007, so expect 10 new routes for CRL at that stage.

However, EMA isn't on the wish list that I heard. FR will however relaunch CRL - LPL.

andy_13
30th Nov 2006, 23:37
Does anyone know what aircraft operates this route out of EMA tomorrow (01/12)?
AEU531 Gambia (Banjul) 09:00
I might take my camera down there tomorrow morning insted of going to uni! :E

Also is it possible to walk from the main terminal to the spot on the access road off the A453 on the right hand side of rwy 27? I know its a long way but is it possbile?

Andy S

UPS@EMA
1st Dec 2006, 07:16
Andy, AEU531 is operated by a 737-700,

with regards to the potential FR routes. they all look good. Porto and Ancona poss not but Riga and Vasteras or Skavsta instead would be good.

We need to get something sorted for a transatlantic route soon, this will be important for the region i feel.

Regards

Stu

andy_13
1st Dec 2006, 11:36
2600 miles in a 737! :eek:

If we managed to get a major long haul carrier do you think it would attrack more in the future as competition and/or codeshare partners? If EAM was then linked in to a major worldwide network like EKs, then surely it would attract more Europen and UK carriers as well to provide connections. This is why I mentioned Emirates and Etihad in one of my earlier threads, I mean its not likely someone like SQ or CX would come to EMA!

Andy S

UPS@EMA
1st Dec 2006, 12:13
Andy,

CX and SQ wouldnt even contemplate EMA with pax services as the only seen to concentrate on the major players of LHR and MAN. the only time we will see/have seen SQ and CX is in the form of 744F's. EK we wont see due to BHX so its a Etihad link that we could only hope for, like i have sed with a A332 or 763ER. The earliest we would see anything like EY is 2008 i think. but when ever they do come, it wont be soon enough.

We really need to attract someone, such as DL or AA to a US destination or a few and poss an Asia carrier (but would we be able to attract with no air bridges?)

Or do we try and get on with more and more IT charters. which the market doesnt seem that steady at the mo and more people sorting their own arrangements

Regards

Stu

egnxema
1st Dec 2006, 14:14
I see everyone's point of view - but let's not get carried away with a wish list for every carrier and aircraft model we ever hope to see grace the apron at EMA.

The facts as they stand right now show that growth is coming mainly from LoCo and long-haul IT (new FCA routes, Gambia, Kenya etc)

While I 100% wish to see a major hub operator link EMA to their hub, I think mentioning EY EK CX SQ etc is just wishing.

I think the BEST thing in the short future would be to woo KLM back with a 3 or 4 times daily link to AMS offering all the onward connections of the KLM/Air France group.

It is interesting how closely FR monitor the Ryanair thread on here. If something is mentioned about the FR website - it is normally fixed within hours!!:ok:

I wonder if anyone from the EMA Commercial or Route Developement departments reads this thread????

If you are there - Push push push KLM!!!

andy_13
1st Dec 2006, 14:33
While I 100% wish to see a major hub operator link EMA to their hub, I think mentioning EY EK CX SQ etc is just wishing.

Thats exactly what it is! ;)

I think the BEST thing in the short future would be to woo KLM back with a 3 or 4 times daily link to AMS offering all the onward connections of the KLM/Air France group.

Thats would be good. Would be good to be able to go on day spotting trip to AMS. :ok: They would have to compete wit Bmi Baby on price as well so it might keep cost from getting too silly.
Andy S

UPS@EMA
1st Dec 2006, 14:46
Andy,

What u have to take into account is that KLM arent that much more than bmibaby on routes from BHX to AMS as EMA to AMS with WW.

KLM would be a welcome addition and a much needed one

Regards

Stu

Centre cities
1st Dec 2006, 21:53
NEMA is having exeptional groth passenger wise at the moment and has targeted the market that it is good at.

If it aint broke dont fix it.

The last thing needed is investment in expensive terminals, leave that to the regional airports that are having a drop in passenger numbers

Centre cities

SAM-EMA
1st Dec 2006, 22:21
Anyting could happen. BRS attracted CO to EWR without airbridges. I know we probably wouldn't achieve this routes considering the close proximety to BHX but I'm just trying to say that anything can happen.

Regards SAM-EMA

bmibaby.com
2nd Dec 2006, 11:22
I've always thought that if bmi were a more crucial player in the Star Alliance, that we might have had more hope of seeing foreign Star carriers launch flights to EMA. For example, the lack of a Central European hub feeder service could have been operated by a Lufthansa regional airline to FRA, or the lack of a trans-atlantic flight to a major American city & hub might have been served by United to ORD. However, with a predominantly bmibaby presence at EMA, and bmi not being one of the majors in the alliance, this sort of dream thinking will never happen. I for one would love to see longhaul at EMA, but it's all a wish list, BHX is scraping to get longhaul scheduled traffic and as the UK's second city Birmingham really ought not have these problems finding airlines to fly there, the problem it seems is north of London the yields shrink heavily - even with a lack of competition! EMA has done a great job in the last four years expanding our low-cost portfolio which is currently the airport's bread-and-butter. Surely the airport could therefore be concentrating on encouraging baby to add the promised sixth aircraft, or easyJet to add a fourth, rather than some pie in the sky dreaming of a daily flight to EWR.

SAM-EMA
2nd Dec 2006, 12:46
Yes baby's 6th a/c or easy's 4th would be good but an American link would be great. I think your 'pie in the sky' comment was not appropriate bmibaby.com. We all have our own opinions.

SAM-EMA

phil_2405
2nd Dec 2006, 14:52
EMA has done a great job in the last four years expanding our low-cost portfolio which is currently the airport's bread-and-butter. Surely the airport could therefore be concentrating on encouraging baby to add the promised sixth aircraft, or easyJet to add a fourth, rather than some pie in the sky dreaming of a daily flight to EWR.

Totally agree, would be great but it isn't going to happen (anytime soon).

IMHO
2nd Dec 2006, 15:10
The baby and Phil are spot-on regarding this one -
EMA is making good progress with the LCC/Charter market as it is,
sure would be nice to see more short-haul schedule airlines-
but scheduled trans atlantic - maybe when the kids are grown-up!
no need to run before we can walk!
regards
In my honest opinion.:)

bmibaby.com
2nd Dec 2006, 19:09
I think your 'pie in the sky' comment was not appropriate bmibaby.com. We all have our own opinions.

SAM-EMA

It really wasn't intended to be rude, just a wake up call for a lot of people. This isn't a forum for wishful thinking, rather for people involved with the airport to seriously discuss what's up at the airport. There are a lot of people who use the airport who would love to have an American link, but if anything trans-atlantic competition in the midlands has contracted over the last few years since we lost both BA & AA at BHX, instead we're left with Continental serving EWR double-daily there, and no other airlines really showing any interest in the region. I think United would be great serving ORD for example, but chances of it happening are slim. Same with a Middle-Eastern airline, Emirates is firmly attached to BHX and it's not unreasonable to predict that if Gulf Air, Etihad or Qatar were to start flights to the regions, they would pick the airport serving the UK's second largest city rather than EMA. Instead, EMA's phenomenal traffic growth has come from no-frills airlines over the past four years, and surely the airport's growth plans as well as route development ought to be spent right now in ensuring that easyJet doesn't leave for another airport, that bmibaby consider EMA for expansion not just BHX, that Ryanair continue their expansion, and Thomsonfly consider some of their high-frequency flights from here. Also they could be looking at other no-frills airlines that don't necessarily need to base aircraft here. It would be nice for bmi to work with their Star Alliance carriers to bring someone in like Lufthansa but the chances are slim.

I'm a huge supporter of EMA, my place of work and local airport for over a decade now, but no matter how impressive the statistics of passenger growth, we are a regional airport, and predicitions of lots of new longhaul carriers & a need for airbridges are simply farfetched.

Lite
3rd Dec 2006, 14:08
Any news on how the terminal developments are going?

Fried_Chicken
4th Dec 2006, 21:52
East Mid's already has several transatlantic flights....

....unfortunetly, they don't carry passengers (although probably make quite a bit of moeny for the airport?)

FC

egnxema
5th Dec 2006, 14:26
From the Leicester Mercury:

"A story in the prestigious magazine The Business last month said the airport's owner, Manchester Airports Group (MAG), was looking to sell NEMA.

The article talked about "sources familiar with the situation" saying that MAG was considering selling East Midlands, along with Humberside and Bournemouth airports, for £500 million.

Airport bosses have completely denied this. "

bmibaby.com
5th Dec 2006, 21:24
Hopefully these start ups won't go the way of flywho from up the road in Birmingham, ie considerably delayed start ups or tarnishing their own brands. There is an obvious market for flights to Asia from EMA, and I hope these flights start sooner rather than later, though I think it's inevitable EMA will get start ups or secondary operators, with the big mainline carriers choosing to go up the road to BHX if they do choose to launch flights to the Midlands at all.

Interesting news about MAG not selling EMA. Obviously considerable investment has already been given by MAG to the airport, and the latest round of this will become obvious on May 1st, and I have every confidence in the airport that it will be up and running for then ... :hmm: The airport authority have to be fair, spent a lot of money improving services, not least a revamp of the departure lounge over the last couple of years, and introducing bus services that people working airport-hours shifts can actually use, though on the buses to/from Loughborough there are still some improvements which could be made.

Sadly there's no news on bmibaby's sixth aircraft, which it seems has been promised as CWL's fourth! Somebody mentioned we have applied for slots at Munich, whilst this route was popular in our first winter, I wonder whether the lack of interlining to Lufthansa flights makes the route less appealing than the existing LH service from BHX. I'd love to see FRA back, but slots are a major issue.

Does anyone have information about how CUSS is going? The machines have been installed and used for a few months now, after the winter can we expect more airlines to come online next summer? I was hearing from some people at Menzies they're expecting a far larger presence at the airport next summer. Is this something related to the baby contract or are they planning a raid of Servisair?

emaint2003
6th Dec 2006, 03:49
The sale of NEMA seems to be gathering some pace. According to gossip the venture capitalists are sniffing around with the help of a couple of ex MDs. Manchester City Council supposedly need the money for the extentsion of the tram system so with Exeter and London City being sold for big multiples on earnings NEMA would be valued very highly. Lots of denials by management but no smoke without fire.......

almost professional
6th Dec 2006, 14:18
Any idea which former MD's?

Evileyes
7th Dec 2006, 15:40
UKIA posts have been moved to:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230775

phil_2405
7th Dec 2006, 19:29
Airport masterplan and new name to be unveiled tomorrow :ok:

Sausagehead
7th Dec 2006, 19:45
Airport masterplan and new name to be unveiled tomorrow :ok:
New name is "East Midlands Airport - Nottingham, Leicester, Derby"

phil_2405
7th Dec 2006, 20:27
I know, slight U-turn!! It's effectively going back to EMA because no-one will say the cities bit, which is apparently a secondary title anyway.

bmibaby.com
7th Dec 2006, 22:14
I'm very pleased to see the name change back to East Midlands Airport. I think it will do a lot for community relations in the area, as to be fair, the airport, as with much of the aviation industry, cannot afford any enemies right now. Also practically, many foreign airports still use "East Midlands Airport" on their information boards or in announcement, a lot of road signage is for "East Midlands Airport" having not been altered and Ryanair call the airport "East Midlands Airport" they've never used "Nottingham" to sell the airport.

Maddog Red
8th Dec 2006, 00:41
I have never heard so much rubbish in all my life, its total boll#cks, does it matter what city it is just as long as it is advertised correctly, so we are back to where we were before no one out side the East Midlands having a faintest idea where the damn place is, at least to the 60% of the rest of the world they understood where Nottingham was. this is such a Nottm, Derby, and Leicester attitude, totally against one another and not understanding the bigger gains, ask any American where the East Midlands is and he will have no idea, and actually ask people who do not live in the East Midlands what counties are in the East Midlands and I bet they would have no idea. At least Nottingham EMA instilled a little pride into the place now, its just plane old boring East Midlands Airport, what waste of time and effort and lets hope the passengers now don’t get lost hunting for this place called the East Midlands.

Maddog Red
8th Dec 2006, 00:50
The more I think about this the more frustrated I get with the peoples attitude in the region, so just call the damn place in alphabetical order as not to upset anyone Derby, Leicester and Nottingham, 3 Cities Airport, oh I bet someone still wont like it, as Leicester is not first. Their are so many other problems in the world, does it really matter.

phil_2405
8th Dec 2006, 05:43
Official announcement and masterplan now online including new logo.

Sausagehead
8th Dec 2006, 06:31
I think its the sign of very weak management.

The name change 3 years ago was borne by pressure from the the then MD of bmibaby Tony Davis, and it looks like they have now bowed to pressure from Civic Leaders in Derby and Leicester.

Although it was a good wind up tool for my colleagues from Derby and Leicester, I didnt think the name change to Nottingham in the first place was right.

mary_hinge
8th Dec 2006, 08:34
Managers at Nottingham East Midlands Airport have announced the site's new name will be East Midlands Airport - Nottingham, Leicester, Derby

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6220118.stm

LTNman
8th Dec 2006, 09:36
They should have just called it M1 junction 24 airport. At least then people would have a rough idea where it was.:\

egnxema
8th Dec 2006, 11:28
The name is just one of those things that will always be an issue IMO. Let's just wait and see what happens with this one.....

The MAster Plan makes interesting reading.

Seem the Terminal Extension/Expansion is still on - with the same artists impressions in the publication and comments such as:-

"Additional investment in passenger terminal facilities is likely to be required, pending the planned major reconfiguration and expansion of the terminal facilities in 2009, to meet the requirements of long haul airlines and to remain competitive."

Enough in there to keep most people happy - it states that the primary focus will be on meeting the needs of the LoCo's. But with the flexibility to add things such as Airbridges should any future Long Haul carrier require them.

We just need to see whether it is MAG that delivers these promises, or a new owner.

bmibaby.com
8th Dec 2006, 11:28
The benefit to reverting back to "East Midlands Airport" is clearly that this is already the name that most local people refer to the airport as (I've never heard people in the pub, bus drivers, friends etc. call it "Nottingham East Midlands for example) but also as mentioned earlier, the EMA name is predominantly used on motorway signage in the UK and in airport signage abroad. The full title of the airport adding the three cities highlights that the airport wants to serve the business and tourism needs for these three cities, which now get equal advertising. The airport is closest to Derby, with the bigger cities Nottingham and Leicester just a bit further up the road. I fully support the name change to more fairly represent the local area.