PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a weekend meet?

pistongone
11th Oct 2006, 07:59
I was thinking what to do this weekend? Does anyone know of a good event taking place, nothing much in the calendar of Pilot. Or how about meeting for lunch in the Aviator Sywell. Even organize a timed landing competition? You could post your eta on the forum with Reg No:- then we could check them in and the winner gets a free lunch? Just an idea chaps, any others? The only reason i mentioned Sywell(I Fly from the North East) is its central, ish, and the restaurant is quite good! £16 for 3 courses, and the veg isnt soggy like my mums used to be:)

S-Works
11th Oct 2006, 08:06
I would love to come anywhere but Sywell though. How about I open the doors to Spanhoe and we get the BBQ out?

pistongone
11th Oct 2006, 08:15
I just checked on the Nav Box and its noted as Strictly PPR Bose, whats the noise abatement procedures, etc? Would half a dozen planes arriving cause a stir? Other than that, its not in my log book, so ok with me!

gcolyer
11th Oct 2006, 08:16
Bose-x maybe we could combine the GPS thing we want to do with the fly in.

Flash0710
11th Oct 2006, 08:29
LETS ALL GO TO AMSTERDAM......!!!!!!!

:E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E :E

luv

f
xx

smarthawke
11th Oct 2006, 12:18
Wow, that's cool! You have your own airfield, bose-x...?!

S-Works
11th Oct 2006, 17:24
We can accomodate a fly in at Spanhoe no problem.

Noise abatement,none, just don't pee the neighbours off with airliner circuits and overhead joins!

Give me an idea of timings?

We can do the GPS thing, but be warned the only way you will get me lost in this area is by poking my eyes out with a stick......

gcolyer
11th Oct 2006, 17:32
We can accomodate a fly in at Spanhoe no problem.

Noise abatement,none, just don't pee the neighbours off with airliner circuits and overhead joins!

Give me an idea of timings?

We can do the GPS thing, but be warned the only way you will get me lost in this area is by poking my eyes out with a stick......

I think poking eyes out is a little harsh no matter where we are.

gcolyer
11th Oct 2006, 20:01
So is there going to be a BBQ fly in doofer this weekend?

if so is anyone by any chance passing the Bristol Area? if so how would you fancy a quick stop to pick me up? it would save me having to drve half way accorss the country.

pistongone
12th Oct 2006, 07:51
Well I propose we accept Bose-X's kind invitation, I'll bring the sausages and I will attempt to arrive at, or as close to 13:00hrs as possible. I havn't checked which plane is available yet, so will post Aircraft Reg shortly.

gcolyer
12th Oct 2006, 09:14
Is this Saturday or Sunday?

cessna l plate
12th Oct 2006, 09:28
Booked for a nav training session on Sunday, so where is Spanhoe exactly?

S-Works
12th Oct 2006, 09:41
OK Saturday. We don't accept visitors on a Sunday as a rule. All sorted for Saturday. I can pick up a couple of portable BBQ's if we are going to have al fresco suasages or we can probably arrange transport down to the local pub?

Spanhoe is inside the RAF Wittering MATZ near Peterborough.

pistongone
12th Oct 2006, 11:45
Could someone explain how you convert Tacan to VOR frequencies, as being so close to Wittering would make life easy :) Never did get round to understanding this particular issue:confused: I suppose thats the GPS thing all over again! I will be inbound from GAM VOR and a big giveaway i guess is Rutland water:} Are Witterings Harriers likely to be active on Saturday? And whats the little bit of grass for on the end of the easterly(09?) and is it bumpy going from grass to tarmac? Who's going to be the adjudicator for the landing times? Weather permitting, hope to see you all there Saturday.

Anonystude
12th Oct 2006, 12:06
You don't 'convert' per se, just dial in the Tacan frequency into your VOR box -- you won't get any guidance in azimuth, but should get distance through the co-located DME.

Wittering's Harriers are almost certainly asleep over the weekend (the RAF closes at 1530 on Fridays, don'tcha know? ;)). However, the Gliding Club might well be active.

LowNSlow
12th Oct 2006, 12:31
I'll see you there, weather and wife permitting! Hoping to get there around 12:30 ish.

Russell Gulch
12th Oct 2006, 12:40
Is this invitation open to all? :) If we fly in how will we know who is who?

Russ

S-Works
12th Oct 2006, 12:50
Is this invitation open to all? :) If we fly in how will we know who is who?
Russ

We could all wear red carnations...... :p

Invitation is open to all. We have plenty of parking. No burgers or coffee unless we do the suggested BBQ..... Perhaps a few people want to bring a disposable BBQ?

pistongone
12th Oct 2006, 12:55
The way i see it is if we post our Aircraft Reg with eta on here and we will appoint an adjudicator to clock the arrivals. I am pretty sure now i will be in a C150 nick named "the fire engine", you will understand when you see it:} :} G-BDFZ and my eta is 13:00hrs. Only point is, is that overhead or on the numbers with the stall warner on? Ie: landed for real:D :D My instructor allways said if after touchdown you can pull the stick back and takeoff again, then you havn't landed,you are just flying along the ground:ok:

waldopepper42
12th Oct 2006, 13:21
How about 13:00 landed for real, parked, and in queue with napkin and cutlery in hand? Otherwise the food will be snaffled...! :E :E

maggioneato
12th Oct 2006, 19:26
Inspired by this thread, and seeing I can't fly this week end. We visited Spanhoe today. Lovely friendly airfield. A nice man drove us to the Pub, which had closed by then. We didn't use the grass bit. One I would go back to. Enjoy your visit folks.

pistongone
13th Oct 2006, 11:40
Change of aircraft for me! Will be coming in a Warrior - YH, anyone want a lift from Full sutton, still one seat left! Bose, i will call the number in pooleys tomorrow for a briefing, unless you have any other numbers?

S-Works
13th Oct 2006, 12:24
PM me for my mobile. But I will give the briefing now....

Please avoid flying circuits, we would rather you just arrived and landed. So join on the most direct route possible. Good lookout of course!

Runway details are in the flight guides. Just beware that they are narrow and so give the usual perspective problems. Try to land as close to the start of the runway as possible not the usual international airport 3rd of the way in habit.

Parking is on the main grass area in front of the hangers that goes along side the hard runway.

We are very very informal at Spanhoe but very friendly.

Who is bringing a portable BBQ? It will be a bit like a scout camp!

gcolyer
13th Oct 2006, 13:27
I am still trying to get an AC for the day!! i dont fancy driving.

pistongone
13th Oct 2006, 13:38
Sorry Gcolyer, bit of a x/c from here:sad: Bose, PM's in the box:ok: I will have a look in the shed for a BBQ', if not how about a bag of charcoal and a few bricks with a metal grate over the top, that what we used to do on the ATC camps:D And when the cooking was finnished you put wood on for the night! Do you suffer from local fog there:confused: Just thinking what this morning was like:eek:

S-Works
13th Oct 2006, 13:55
we were surrounded by fog this morning yet the runway was in clear blue sky as was my house. drove down the hill and all the way to work in solid fog!

S-Works
14th Oct 2006, 08:00
Currently Fog bound! TAF is showing some clearing.

EAST MIDLANDS EGNX 140602Z 140716 08005KT 3000 BR BKN006 TEMPO 0710 0300 FG BKN001 BECMG 0912 7000 NSW SCT012 PROB30 TEMPO 1316 9999

pistongone
14th Oct 2006, 08:26
On my way to Full Sutton and the sun is breaking through so in a couple of hours should be ok!!:cool:

LowNSlow
14th Oct 2006, 11:02
It'll be 3 o'clock before I get there unless our fog burns off really quickly.

PS I'll be in Auster G-AHAM

S-Works
14th Oct 2006, 11:18
All are welcome any time during the day, allthough if the fog does not lift for VFR in the next hour I am going to depart IFR for Newquay to go surfing.

gcolyer
14th Oct 2006, 11:30
All are welcome any time during the day, allthough if the fog does not lift for VFR in the next hour I am going to depart IFR for Newquay to go surfing.

You could drop in to Bristol or Filton for a cuppa on your way if you like.

pistongone
14th Oct 2006, 17:48
Sorry we missed you Bose, but the lads were kind enough to make the coffee:ok: Some very interesting kit on the ramp and let me know when you get that French thing up for an air test, would like to see that:) I had a problem with my GPS loading your co-ordinates so we used mark 1 eyeball and map on the way down. It was good to practice the old skills:ok: The problem i had was my GPS said it was 98 miles to you and the plog and map said 83! Turns out i had been using it to calibrate my car speedo and forgot to change back to Nauticlal mile:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: See how easy it is to make a mistake:confused: Still going back we just flew over the clag at FL40 and it was glorious. I might have some pics to post soon.
Well i suggest another try soon, who's up for that?

S-Works
15th Oct 2006, 07:47
I am glad you liked our humble home. The welcome at Spanhoe is always first class for the invited and we do have some very interesting toys to play with. GPS whats that...... ;)

You can see now why I get to fly so many interesting types now! What did you think of our Chippy? It leaks oil like its going out of fashion but flies a treat.

I am sorry I missed you guys, I hung on for ages and thought the fog would never lift so decided to head to Cornwall for some kite surfing. Got on top at 2000ft and head a stunning flight all the way to newquay 10 FL100 with an ILS and circle to land. An afternoon on the beach with the kite. Going to have somemore beach time then head home after lunch.

The offer is open again next weekend for anyone who wants to come and visit and this time we really will get the BBQ sorted!

LowNSlow
15th Oct 2006, 10:00
I pitched up at around 3:30 after ya'll had left. Never mind, it was an interesting flight in challenging viz followed by a coffee with Karl and the chaps. There certainly are some interesting aircraft at Spanhoe!

pistongone
15th Oct 2006, 11:40
Thanks for the invite Bose, i will make it in next week. I'll come via Fenland, i want to catch up with an old mate there. Can you do that kite surfing? It looks really hard to stay up, a bit like water skiing with a loonatic driving the boat:} :} LowNslow, i just checked my log and i left at 15:30, must have just missed you. I wanted a bit of time for a diversion, incase we got foggedout of Full Sutton, which is quite common with weather like yesterday. Would have been nice to meet you.

Fake Sealion
16th Oct 2006, 11:18
Bose-x

Visited Spanhoe on Saturday with Pistongone.....great welcome...some interesting a/c you have there ?
I'd like to find out more about the Moraine-Saulnier Ex French Navy - have Googled it but only get MS Paris military jet and a bunch of WW1 MS's. !

Have you got any links you could post or did I just spell it wrong?

Cheers

FS
;)

S-Works
16th Oct 2006, 16:49
It is an Alcyon. Very rare beast indeed. We are hoping to have it back in the air soon with the CAA due to visit in 2 weeks to inspect it.

Glad you liked our humble home, one of the best secrets in aviation and home to a bunch of mad repribates!

pistongone
17th Oct 2006, 11:01
Anyone want to fly into Spanhoe this saturday? If you lie somewhere within a 2o mile or so line of York to Peterborough then i can pop in to pick you up! PM me for contact details if you want to come! IF THE FOG LIFTS:sad:

S-Works
17th Oct 2006, 11:44
I will definatly be around most of the day on sat as I will be flying the chippy and cub.

So lets have a take 2!