View Full Version : Airliner Flap Track Mechanism?

FirmamentFX
10th Oct 2006, 23:34
Hi all,

Can anyone point me to any websites or sources of information with an explanation of the flap track mechanism used on airliners these days?

There are *hundreds* of sites out there with simple slotted flap diagrams, but I can't find any technical diagrams or explanations of the mechanism.

If it's important - I'm looking at the smaller range of aircraft (A320 / 737 etc). I don't know if the larger a/c have different mechanisms.

Many thanks,

Martin

Spanner Turner
10th Oct 2006, 23:49
PM me with an e-mail address and I can e-mail you PDF files of all the descriptions and pictures you want! They will be of Boeings though - and of the larger variety! The 747 has "Triple-slotted fowler flaps"

:ok:

criticalmass
11th Oct 2006, 12:36
Two main types; Boeing favour the tracks-and-roller design, covered with "canoes", Douglas used the "hide-it-in-a-hinge" mechanism on the DC-9, DC-10, MD-11 etc. The Boeing mechanism seems to be predominant, judging by the number of airliner wings with canoes on the trailing edge.

Chris Brady's website on the 737 (The 737 Information Site) might be helpful, covers the 737 family in some detail. The NG has a double-slotted system, the 300 & 400 had triple-slotted. (www.chris.brady.ukgateway.net)

dartagnan
11th Oct 2006, 15:53
when will be the a320.org ready???

this 737 website is very informative.

FirmamentFX
13th Oct 2006, 00:03
Many thanks for the info guys :)

M