PDA

View Full Version : Help: PPL with work permit.

squark
10th Oct 2006, 05:40
Hi,

I am new to this forum and to Canada (only been here 2 months). I am here on a work permit which is not related at all to flying. But I am really interested in getting a PPL. Always been a dream of mine. I have been told that my work permit doesn't allow any vocational training and that the PPL is classified as vocational training. Is that true? If so, is there any way around it? Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Steve.

2PWRR
11th Oct 2006, 17:57
Just go to Toronto airways at Buttonville (CYKZ)and ask they will tell you if you arent sure or check the web at www.cic.gc.ca and good luck with the flying

grundog
11th Oct 2006, 19:37
I say just go ahead and do it anyway. Nothing to stop you in the slightest!

:ok:

20driver
11th Oct 2006, 20:10
One - they can't stop you and two getting your PPL, night rating and IFR is not really vocational. Most people getting the PPL never fly commercially.
Your CPL you might have an issue.
I really doubt there is any limit on your getting vocational training anyways unless you are doing it full time and then you are are the wrong type of visa.
20driver

2PWRR
11th Oct 2006, 20:31
I would advise against just doing it !!! I am living and working in Canada at the momment on a skilled workers Visa and it clearly says that I am not allowed to study whilst I am here !!!
CIC have a free phone number just call them

20driver
11th Oct 2006, 20:44
If that what it says, that what it says but I still suspect that it means fulltime study. Seems stupid but so much has changed. Still really don't see why something recreational would cause you a problem. Does this mean you can't take a kayaking course, golf lessons?
20driver

2PWRR
11th Oct 2006, 20:52
I am just trying to help the last thing I would want is someone getting deported for breaking the rules of their Visa or even stopping themselves from becoming A permanent resident because they broke the rules !!! I just read what it said on my Visa not His (sqark)

I also work fulltime at a flight school and if you want to come and study you need a study Visa if you arent a Canadian !!!

cplpilot
11th Oct 2006, 21:14
I converted my italian PPL into a canadian while i had a work permit. I had no problem with TC and immigration. I became landed immigrant and i got then the CPL. PPL is recreational, do you need a permit to get a drive licence?
Good luck

grundog
12th Oct 2006, 00:45
Further to my last,
I came over here on a 6 month VISA, did the whole CPL & Instructor thing and then got offered a job.
Obvioulsy I didn't except it as I was not on a work permit ;)
So I got a work permit and then I got Permanent Residency!
I'm now a Base Manager and training captain on King Airs and know all about jumping through hoops and immigration etc etc.

TC will never ask you to prove you are legally in the country before giving you a fight test. Its not their remit. The only time I was asked to prove who I was came when I set up a flight school. The CARS state you must be a citizen or permanent resident to do so, my competition complained to TC and they in turn asked for proof.

A PPL is not vocational....its a private pilots license :ugh:

Like I said...Just do it. No one could care less!

Enjoy!

squark
12th Oct 2006, 01:41
Dear guys,

Thanks for all your replies. I'll call up CIC and find out. Fingers crossed it'll be alright.

Regards,
Steve.

20driver
12th Oct 2006, 21:32
Be very carefull when you call CIC. Say you want to take recreational flying lessons. You are unlikely to get someone who knows the difference between a PPL and a CPL and they will assume you mean commercial training.
20driver