PDA

View Full Version : stalling mass brief

downwind
10th Oct 2006, 05:34
G'day guys,

For my stalling mass brief for the objectives at the start of the brief, what are some good questions to pose to students about stalling?

thanks
dw.

FlyingForFun
10th Oct 2006, 07:15
Not sure I entirely understand the question.

Are you saying that you are doing an FIC, and you are required to do a "long brief" on stalling? And that you're asking us what questions you could ask your "student" as an introduction to the subject?

If I've understood you correctly, then the thing to think about is what level of knowledge you expect your student to have at this stage. You must assume that he knows nothing about stalling, but that he understands all the previous exercises - effect of controls, s+l, climbing, descending and turning.

Bearing that in mind, you could ask your students what happens if they apply back-pressure to the controls. (Answer - aircraft pitches up. It also climbs - at least that's what the students have seen so far - although you're about to show them why this answer is less correct than the pitching up answer.)

Then you could point out that it must be possible to pitch up "too far" - an extreme example being pitching up to the vertical. Try to elicit from them that at some point, the wing will stop generating lift as it does in normal flight - but remember this isn't something you expect them to know already, so they'll need gently pushing in the right direction.

Then you can brief them on stalling.

If I've understood your question incorrectly, then I apologise, you'll have to clarify it further and I'll have another go.

FFF
-------------------

foxmoth
10th Oct 2006, 08:44
FFF
If you look, downwind is in Aus so possibly a different system from the UK.

downwind
10th Oct 2006, 09:49
FlyingForFun yes that is correct assumption! yes from oz!

Capt Mo
10th Oct 2006, 11:22
Hey Downwind,

Once you've set some aims, objectives and a motivation I usually ask students questions about the lift formula, and production of lift (from S+L). With the students participating in this discussion, because students are able to identify that as angle of attack increases that lift also increases. This often leads nicely into the brief when you continue this and discuss how lift only increases up to a point (critical angle) and then decreases - the stall. Simple introduction!

Its great when revision of a topic already covered leads in to the briefing being delivered. allows students to go from the known to the unknown and gives previous lessons meaning and purpose! All a part of the bigger picture!

Enjoy the course!

Mo

Whopity
13th Oct 2006, 20:14
You could try asking them if they know what a stall is; there are always a few who think it has something to do with the engine stopping!

BEagle
14th Oct 2006, 05:54
"What is meant by 'angle of attack'?"

"What is meant by 'coefficient of lift'?"

"How does one affect the other?"

OK - that's the theory. We will now consider how the effect on a real aeroplane.