PDA

View Full Version : VFR in Manchester CTR

arthurjfox
9th Oct 2006, 18:11
VFR in Manchester CTR

I am thinking about getting a PPL. I am lucky enough to own a few fields near to my home, so one of the attractions would be if I was able to fly occasionally from there. I appreciate that there will be many issues about the practicalities of farm-field flying, but for now my question is about the legalities and the ATC situation.

I live near Glossop, which is to the east of Manchester and inside the Manchester CTR, albeit near to its eastern edge. I have tried to research what the situation regarding flying in that area is likely to be, but as a beginner I am not confident that I have understood it all properly. So I am hoping that some kind souls here will be able to clarify a few things and correct me as necessary, or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks.

I believe that the Manchester CTR is class D airspace, up to 3500 feet. As I understand it, what this means is that VFR flight is permitted i.e. a basic PPL/microlight pilot can in theory fly here, but only with the permission of Manchester Airport ATC. Over 3500 feet, I believe it becomes the Manchester TMA, which is Class A airspace, so I understand that venturing up over that altitude will be a complete no-go area for a basic PPL.

Obviously I appreciate that Manchester airspace is very busy. So, my question is: practically speaking, what would be the likelihood of getting ATC permission for take-off and landing in the Glossop area? Are there factors which affect the likelihood of permission e.g. time of day or wind direction (i.e. which runway is in use at MAN)? I guess my desire would be to fly east, out of the CTR, where I believe the airspace is then uncontrolled up to 3000 feet, if that helps - although obviously I would then want to return to land at home at some time!

If this is just a pipe dream then I’d rather know now than later, which is the point of this post really.

Thanks again.

10th Oct 2006, 07:57
Arthur

The best thing to do is to discuss your dream with Manchester ATC Operations department. I'll try to get a number for you.

10th Oct 2006, 08:08
Arthur

Try calling Manchester ATC Ops. on 0161 499 5316, these are the people you will need to speak to to sort out the ATC aspects.

Brian304
10th Oct 2006, 13:43
Just wanting to ask, because I fly out of liverpool. But if I wanted to enter to the class D airspace in manchester (just to fly over) would I be able to do that if I ask permission to?. Or would I be able to do that if I switch to Flight information services and get them to get a clearence?. Also say If i wanted to fly to london, would I just be able to fly there using 1 FIS channel instead of asking every airspace for clearence to fly overhead like US?.

Thanks

BRI ^^

10th Oct 2006, 16:31
In a nutshell:

If you stay outside regulated airspace you can go where you like without talking to anybody, flying on a see and be seen basis. (Careful, there are some restricted pieces of airspace too). With a few exceptions, as soon as you want to enter Regulated airspace you must obtain a clearance from the contrlling authority (even if you are flying Visual flight Rules).

If you wish to enter Manchester's airspace, even just to transit, you must call Manchetser Approach and ask for a transit clearance. Be prepared for a delay due to their increasingly busy IFR traffic, or a re-route out of their way. That applies to any airport busy enough to have its own regulated airspace.

arthurjfox
10th Oct 2006, 18:53
Arthur

Try calling Manchester ATC Ops. on 0161 499 5316, these are the people you will need to speak to to sort out the ATC aspects.

Thanks. I'll certainly try that. I think I have seen friendly posts from Manchester ATC staff in here, so I was hoping one of them might pop up anyway.

NudgingSteel
10th Oct 2006, 20:36
Hey, Manchester ATC are really friendly! (usually). Certainly speak to ATC OPS who will be able to help.
The limiting factor for Manchester zone transits is usually the need to protect the approach, climb-out and missed approach tracks.
As an example, an aircraft transiting in the vicinity of the missed approach track might require all the inbounds to be issued with non-standard missed approach instructions (extra R/T, plus workload for the inbound crews to re-brief). The non-standard missed approach then probably conflicts with the departure tracks from the other runway. This requires extra spacing on the inbounds to allow for adequate separation against departures in the event of a go-around. Given the amount of co-ordination this requires (and it is sometimes needed), you might understand why direct routings through the Manch zone often don't get approved.
If you're away in the corner of the zone, though, I can't see that you'd be close to much traffic - and how cool would it be to have an airstrip at your home! My dream property would have lots of land and a Chipmunk parked there.....;)