PDA

View Full Version : Complex prop question

Rod1
9th Oct 2006, 15:00
I have a CAA PPL with considerable hours on conventional VP props. I have not flown an aircraft with a VP for 3 years.

I am considering converting my PFA aircraft to an “automatic” VP prop which uses the throttle as a power leaver. Apart from the throttle there are no controls in the cockpit. The PFA will require me to test fly the aircraft solo before it will be cleared for normal operation.

Can I jump in and fly it?

Do I need to explain the operation of the prop to an instructor, get him to sign me off and then jump in?

Do I need to hire an aircraft with a conventional VP, do a flight with an instructor and then get signed off so I can fly the completely different PFA machine? This option will be very difficult and expensive to arrange as my club does not have a VP aircraft on the fleet.

Rod1

scubawasp
9th Oct 2006, 15:11
Quote from the Flight Examiners Handbook 2006/7

Differences training

"For SEP aircraft training remains valid indefinitely"

"Familiarisation training is required when moving between types within the SEP or TMG class on the occasions when differences training is not necessary"

Computer says NO!
9th Oct 2006, 19:19
Yip, Scubas got it. Your issue here concerns props which come under "Differences training" as opposed to any type or class rating (provided it is still a SEP aircraft)

Once you have done your initial differences training (VP props) with an instructor, you can then fly any SEP aircraft with wobbly props, anytime you want! The same goes for retractable U/C aircraft.

Good luck!!:ok:
CSN

Rod1
9th Oct 2006, 19:36
Thanks!!

Rod1