PDA

View Full Version : Question

SkippyX
8th Oct 2006, 08:26
My employer wants me to go away to another base for a few days from time to time. The thing is I like going home everynight and am not interested. However they say it is mandatory but since I have no contract I don't understand this.:confused:

Has anyone else faced this situation and how should I deal with it?

Curtis E Carr
8th Oct 2006, 08:52
Legally, I guess that he/she cannot force you to do it. However, if you wish to continue working for him/her .............

helopat
8th Oct 2006, 08:58
Yeah, Skippy, I think you're kinda stuck...my feeling is that you need to harden up and do a few days away now and then. I'm a navy guy, so I'm not going to be the most simpathetic...as you can imagine, if you say no, then you might end up with a severance check and some walking papers. As you might've noticed, good jobs that you enjoy are not as common as you might want...think carefully before you choose.

HP

foxmoth
8th Oct 2006, 17:46
I'm a navy guy, so I'm not going to be the most simpathetic
Yes, but you volunteered presumably having looked into the fact that swallowing the anchor would involve not being home every night, I presume when Skippy took his job it sounds like he expected to be working from his base airfield and not stopping away.:rolleyes:

cessna l plate
8th Oct 2006, 18:19
Having worked as a lonf distance lorry driver, I can sympathise a little, I too hated nights away, I did the sensibe thing and got a job that didn't involve them.

This is a tough one to call for you. As you have no contract, from a legal standpoint there is no compulsion on you to work away. A lot of employers have this "at any company site" clause in their contracts, but as you don't have one then there is nothing to enforce is there??

That said, from a plant earth standpoint, I think you can be assured that if you don't you will be walking quite soon. There is a balance to be struck, as if you give in straight away I can guarantee you that your name will be first on the list next time. The trick is to come to the table with a ready solution, such as, "if we have to work away, then let's have a rota for everyone to do it" As soon as you are told that so and so cannot do it for whatever reason, then that becomes your reason. Simple.

That said, it might still cause difficulty, my advice, take it on the chin, while you look for a new job!

SkippyX
8th Oct 2006, 20:05
Cheers guys, yeah I probably do need to harden up, but like one guy said, I did take the job on the understanding that I'll see the other half every night and not be stuck in some B&B miles from home. Also due to the nature of our ops and the type of aircraft the return to base is very weather dependant so there may be delays geting home.

Maybe I'll try it and see. Let you know how it goes... never know it might even be fun. It would be nice to be asked if I minded going though, rather than being told I'm going, but I guess that's management for you.