PDA

View Full Version : Channel Crossing - inverted

stiknruda
7th Oct 2006, 11:28
I recall that several years ago I heard that the late Nigel Brendish (sp?) flew across the Channel inverted.

This tale was retold recently and a couple of my chums decided to cross outbound in mirror formation and return in mirror with the outbound inverted aircraft right way up and the other aircraft inverted so that both parties could claim to have done it! The plan was to photograph it and write a short article for our association (BAeA) newsletter.

The weather on that particular weekend conspired against our intrepid duo, with one a/c being stuck at the far side of the country with Pitts 2112. Three of us met on the S Coast and Pitts 2112 our "mission commander" suggested that the 3 of us should cross and the other 6 would meet us in Deauville later that w/e.

I was delegated as lead with 2 in echelon right and 3 echelon left. The weather was not fantastic and we decided to keep the formation "tight".

As we coasted out at 1200' over scattered at 400', #3 rolled inverted and remained inverted until we were joining downwind at Le2K.:D :D

The water crossing took 14 minutes but he remained inverted for 18.

Sitting there with #2 tucked in so close that you can see he's not shaved that morning and watching #3 singing along to himself upside down was rather a bizarre sight that still has me smiling.

And because it makes me smile, I thought I'd share it with you!;)

So has anyone else done it?

treadigraph
7th Oct 2006, 14:20
Nice one! Did you get any pics Stik? Let's see 'em!

Nigel Brendish was beaten to it by Geoffrey Tyson (memory says a Tiger Moth? if it was it must have been modified!) in 1934 for the 25th anniversaire of Bleriot's escapade. In 1959 Elwyn Macauley also did it in a Tiger Club Super Tiger for the fiftieth bash...

If Nigel did it in '84, I guess that was the 75th. How about you doing the mirror act again in three years time for the 100th? :ok:

AC-DC
7th Oct 2006, 14:28
Any photos?

BRL
7th Oct 2006, 17:43
That is brilliant mate. Pictures would be a bonus ......... :)

happybiker
8th Oct 2006, 11:12
I recall that Nigel did this in the "Mighty Munk"
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0698075&size=M

360BakTrak
8th Oct 2006, 13:50
Not done it but would love to give it a go.........if someone would lend me a suitable aeroplane.........:ok:

stiknruda
8th Oct 2006, 15:23
Nigel did do it in the Munk, an aeroplane that I was once offered the opportunity of flying but turned down because I did not feel current enough!

No pics unfortunately, enough to do already with formation leading in marginal weather without worrying about aperture stops and shutter speeds!

The inverted pilot (D E)is based at Waits Farm.

TheKentishFledgling
8th Oct 2006, 16:30
Next time let me know and I'll front seat with a camera! ;)

tKF

Pitts2112
8th Oct 2006, 16:57
Next time let me know and I'll front seat with a camera! ;)
tKF

I don't think your Mum would let you go on that kind of trip! The inverted flight over the Channel was only the beginning... :)

It was a great time. The four-ship which eventually left Popham that afternoon had a magnificent crossing in CAVOK to Le2K, but an even better run down the coast to Deauville in fantastic weather. Didn't spend much time above 200' or over land! Saw a couple of nice properties for sale on the coast but didn't fancy the lounge wallpaper in any of them!

Weather kept our heads down and in our wine glasses in Deauville but gave us the impetus we needed to go for the longest over-water crossing any of us had ever done - 100 miles over water, Deauville to Sandown direct - in, again, gin-clear weather. We were 9 by that time, everyone having arrived at Deauville in ones and twos until we were all there on the first day of the trip. In fact, the Leicester contingent were caught breaking and exiting from the aerodrome as the airport had closed around them by the time they tied down and left. And a great little bit of flying was done as a 9-ship vic formation circled around the IoW on our last day, followed by a few who went off for another play out over the water. the 9-ship coming around the Needles was really something to see from within! Mr Channel-Inverted repeated part of his routine again but this time at altitudes over the water best measured in inches rather than feet!

Overall not as exciting as our first trip to the nurses' convention a few years ago, but still well worth the effort. Now, where to next year?????

Pitts2112

TheKentishFledgling
8th Oct 2006, 17:06
I don't think your Mum would let you go on that kind of trip! The inverted flight over the Channel was only the beginning...

So I hear from stik...sounds a blast!

tKF