PDA

View Full Version : become an air traffic controller

redlion
7th Oct 2006, 10:51
I am interested in becoming an atc and would appreciate any advice on how and where to apply.

smellysnelly2004
7th Oct 2006, 12:39
https://www.nats.gtios.com/Candidate/Registration/114Registration.asp

flowman
7th Oct 2006, 13:12
Or if you don't mind going further afield:
http://www.eurocontrol.int/muac/public/standard_page/AUbecomeATCO.html

viaEGLL
7th Oct 2006, 13:39
Flowman . do you work at eurocontrol if so could you pm me..

cheers

GaahGaah
7th Oct 2006, 14:26
What about an Aussie ATC looking to visit the UK for say 12 or months working as an ATC over there??

Possible??

Jerricho
7th Oct 2006, 15:37
You mean working for 12 months as an ATCO then leaving again?

Barnaby the Bear
7th Oct 2006, 22:07
If thats the case. By the time you have done any conversion training, OJT etc. You will probably have been here 18 months or more (depending on unit and ratings). Thats if you could find anybody who would want to invest time and money training you to leave. ..... Yeah ..... could be possible. :ok:

!turnleftrightnow!
10th Oct 2006, 20:46
You better go to university, get a degree an open up your own ACC!:ok:
So you can create your own silly rules...:E

joneto29
21st Jun 2007, 15:53
hi everyone.
I studied and became an ATCO in Havana Cuba and Im living in Scotland at this moment. I would like to know if there is any possibility to validate or whichever is the term in this case my ICAO cualification in the UK.
thanks.

mrsurrey
21st Jun 2007, 17:16
Thanks for the linkies :ok:

Is that all the options then for UK wannabees? - NATS and Eurocontrol?

Thanks,

MrS

loubylou
21st Jun 2007, 17:49
Or you could pay for your ratings yourself, but I'm not sure where the colleges are or how much it is these days.

louby

vintage ATCO
21st Jun 2007, 18:32
I would seriously suggest not paying for your own course(s) these days. Yes, I know people have done it but it is high risk and without the guarantee of a job at the end of it. Is it still the case you don't even get the licence until you pass the aerodrome ULE (validation in old money) and you only have 12 months in which to do it? Bit out of touch on the training side.

As well as the NATS route try the 'ex-municipal' airports like Newcastle, Leeds, East Midlands, Coventry and the like. They do sponsor their own people on courses from time to time. But be serious about it . . . . you've got to persuade them to spend £15-18K on you (and that's just for starters). Good luck. :ok:

mrsurrey
21st Jun 2007, 18:44
Don't worry, I wont be paying for training - that's best left to the pilots ;)

As well as the NATS route try the 'ex-municipal' airports like Newcastle, Leeds, East Midlands, Coventry and the like. They do sponsor their own people on courses from time to time. But be serious about it . . . . you've got to persuade them to spend £15-18K on you (and that's just for starters). Good luck.

Thanks, am I right in thinking that airports that use NATS (Heathrow, Southampton etc?) only do so after getting quotes from other companies or is it a more rigid system than that? - is NATS just one company in a competitive industry for airport ATC?

Thanks again,

MrS

high-hopes
21st Jun 2007, 22:15
Probably as competitive as ASDA or Tesco vs your local grocers

nano404
21st Jun 2007, 23:03
Thats if you could find anybody who would want to invest time and money training you to leave

Owner of the airport (Government or Company) wouldn't do that if they needed? When my dad became ATC (20 odd years ago) I think the Government funded his training. So maybe ask the airport(s) operator?

If your'e in the U.S. can the FAA hire you?

mrsurrey
22nd Jun 2007, 15:33
Thanks everyone, I hadn't thought of approaching airport operators before. I can't seem to google a list of them - is there a list of (UK) companies around somewhere on the net? - NATS were very quiet about the existance of other operators in their overview of the ATC system :}

Thanks,

MrS

chiglet
22nd Jun 2007, 20:52
Pooleys or similar should give ATC phone numbers, or try www.ais.org.uk You have to register, but it is free
watp,iktch