PDA

View Full Version : Noise Reduction Rating (for headsets)

rubber
6th Oct 2006, 12:02
which is better if we compare a 20db reduction rating compared to a set with a 24db rating?

mad_bear
6th Oct 2006, 12:28
If this is expressed in terms of `24dB reduction' and `20dB reduction', then 24dB reduction is a greater amount of noise reduction than 20dB and, theoretically, superior.

Or have I misunderstood the question?

In my experience, noise reduction figures are measured in a rather idealistic test environment, and the true noise reduction will vary from head to head. It may not be worth paying a great deal of money for a notional extra 4dB reduction.

rubber
6th Oct 2006, 12:39
reference to these 2 headsets specifications for comparison purposes.

http://www.flightcom.net/headsets/5dx-headset.php
Noise Reduction: 22 dB

http://www.flightcom.net/headsets/4dlx-headset.php
Noise Reduction: 24 dB

so technically, the latter is "better" in terms of noise reduction.. am i correct?

mad_bear
6th Oct 2006, 12:53
Looking at the way the figures are expressed in the ads, sure, 24dB is better than 22dB. What's more, the 24dB set is cheaper :) But I'd be amazed if anyone could tell the difference between 22dB and 24dB at the ear, and there could easily be +/-5dB variation due to head shape, etc. I suspect the difference in price is because the more expensive set has silicone, rather than foam, ear seals. I think most people find silicone more comfortable.

IO540
6th Oct 2006, 15:09
24db is better than 22db but I would never buy a headset without trying it on for comfort.

I have been involved with this stuff in the past and I reckon that quoted attenuation figures are often totally bogus. In one case, the manufacturer admitted that the advertising of his products (done by various dealers) was false.

Bose don't quote a db figure and I can see why. It would be easy to lose sales to an inferior product quoting a silly figure like "45db total attenuation".

This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between posts. Please try again in 90 seconds. Should I forget this and get back to work? While I am waiting for the countdown, isn't Heroes of PFA, farmstrip flying - the best in aviation and some other people a slightly inappropriate description for this forum?

dublinpilot
6th Oct 2006, 17:58
Heroes of PFA, farmstrip flying - the best in aviation and some other people a slightly inappropriate description for this forum?

There was a thread about the description last year, and this is what the result was. From what I remember the above description came up pretty quickly and became the new description fairly quickly....before many got to comment on it.

Personally I agree with you. It doesn't describle many spam can pilots like myself....unless we fall into "and some other people".

dublinpilot
6th Oct 2006, 18:03
I've found it.

The thread is here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=174823)

In fact the new title was never discussed......it just appeared after some debate about various other options.

dp

This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between posts. Please try again in 44 seconds.

You think if enough of us include this in our posts, Danny will eventually figure out how much this pis:mad: s off his regulars?