PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird Outgoing Authenication

seacue
6th Oct 2006, 11:37
I know I'm stupid, but......

I use two ISPs.

One does not require email authentication and works with Outlook Express and Thunderbird.

The other requires authentication. It does not require nor accept secure password authentication.

It works fine with Outlook Express if I check the box which says my ISP requires authentication of outgoing mail.

I can read incoming mail with Thunderbird but the ISP claims that I'm not doing authenication when I try to use Thunderbird to send an email. I can't find an option like the OE one for authentication when sending.

Any suggestions?

I'd like to get rid of the dialup ISP that doesn't require authentication and thus works with Thunderbird.

thanks
seacue

All Ahead Full
6th Oct 2006, 12:30
Can you not setup Outlook express to collect all email?

seacue
6th Oct 2006, 13:27
Yes, I can use Outlook Express, but I'd rather use Thunderbird to gain at least little greater security.

In any case, Thunderbird will collect mail from both ISPs. It's just that one of the ISPs won't accept outgoing mail from Thunderbird.

I suppose that I could always use Thunderbird for reading mail and only use OE for sending....... Not very neat.

seacue

Keef
6th Oct 2006, 15:16
I suspect you have only one SMTP server set up in Thunderbird, and it's trying to send mail via ISP2 when you're connected to ISP1.

Click on the name of the account that cannot send (in the LH margin), then on "View Settings for this Account". Scroll right down to the bottom of the LEFT HAND window that appears, where you'll see "Outgoing Server (SMTP)". (NOT the box in the RH window).

If there's only one there, then you need to add another, with the SMTP server name for the other ISP.

Then, go back to the "View Settings for this Account" page, and look in the box "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" in the right hand half of the page. Change that to the correct one, and banzai.

rotorcraig
6th Oct 2006, 18:06
I think that Keef is correct.

The following FAQ page gives very similar advice:

Multiple SMTP servers (Thunderbird) (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_SMTP_servers_%28Thunderbird%29)

You can set up Thunderbird to use more than one SMTP (outgoing) server, or to use the same server with different usernames and passwords, so that each of your mail accounts can have its own SMTP server configuration.If you follow the instructions to add an SMTP server the configuration that you need appears to be supported (in Thunderbird 1.5 at least) - Specify a username and password but set "Use secure connection" to "No".

Regards,

RC

seacue
6th Oct 2006, 20:42
Keef's suggests seem to have solved the problem. I was waiting to confirm after I tested things a number of times.

I had the second SMTP account. Either I hadn't clicked the box to add the User Name (same name as on the account), or Tb hadn't asked for my password (same password as on the account).

Anyhow, it now works. That's after a little excitement since "Secure Authentication" got turned on unintentionally. My problem ISP won't accept that.

THANKS, especially to Rev Keef.

seacue

Keef
6th Oct 2006, 23:42
"Secure Authentication" got turned on unintentionally. My problem ISP won't accept that.

I don't think I've come across a "conventional" ISP that will.

Glad it's sorted.