PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide DAFIF database in Google Earth

Tordan
5th Oct 2006, 09:18
Sorry if this is old news and/or in the wrong forum but since it´s about airspace and such I figured it might suit here...

Anyway, using the file below will let you display airspac, airways, airports etc in glorious 3d i GE. Make sure to not open the entire world database since that will most likely choke your computer. Open Temporary places, DAFIF and then navigate to your country of choice. It´s well worth downloading GE just to play around with this. Hope you find some use for it.

http://globalais.net/dafifkml/dafifByCountry.kmz

Just click on the link, GE will then open automatically.

jtr
5th Oct 2006, 10:22
That is OUTSTANDING.

Mods this should be made into a sticky.

Hats off to the person(s) who made it happen.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Oct 2006, 10:33
But why can't I see Uk stuff? I have the latest GE and a fast PC.. it shows Africa and a great deal of Europe but nothing appears over the UK..

jtr
5th Oct 2006, 10:41
Maybe no one cares about the UK?

:E

Tordan
5th Oct 2006, 10:48
Heathrow Director, silly question, but have you clicked in the checkbox for United Kingdom? I sure see GB covered, the only thing that looks wierd is the Oceanic area but I guess thatīs due to the program drawing straight lines between coordinates and they donīt follow the earths curvature.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Oct 2006, 14:52
Got it now - glitch at this end (dead brain)! Thanks.

An amazing piece of work. Fancy being an air traffic controller and having to know that lot!!

Frunobulax
5th Oct 2006, 18:15
However, since 1 October 2006 DAFIF data are no longer available to public.
Sad but true.

av8boy
6th Oct 2006, 05:20
I spent Saturday ensuring I had the last batch though!

ortelius
7th Oct 2006, 15:19
Glad you all have found our 3D airspace site interesting. We are hopefully going to rerun the scripts that generate this with the dafif_0610 dataset over the weekend. Just FYI, the problem with Oceanic FIRs and other large airspaces intersecting the earth is essentially a bug in Google Earth. We have notified them of it, and sent sample data, but they seem to think we are the only group working with polygons this big. Oh well ...

There is another app, albeit not as interesting as the 3D version, but which has the same data on a global scale in 2D. Check it out @ http://globalais.net/aisviewer/ To turn on and off layers, you will have to select the "Legend" button. The aim is to integrate OPMET and other Dynamic weather as well as NOTAMs and other relevant data types into this app.

Another of our projects is attempting to convert upper air wind data into KML for viewing in 3D, and we have also discussed trying to convert procedures into KML for 3D viewing.

The products which these apps are based on targeted at international AIS offices who produce charts and AIPs, but we are very interested in any input from professional pilots and ATC types. If any of you are interested in contacting me personally off-list to discuss potential features which could be useful to you, please dont hesitate.

[email protected]
[email protected]

snj
12th Nov 2007, 00:12
I really like this KML that allows me to see all the DAFIF runways and Navaids around the world. One of the things I would like to be able to see is the centerlines at the ends of the runways. Is that part of the original DAFIF dataset? I see that in this KML the whole runway is in, with the endpoints being at the width, rather than in the center. The runway labels appear to be at the centerline and the center of the length? Thanks.

Navvegante
18th Dec 2011, 17:59
Hi Tordan, this is kind of late, but maybe you still have the database and please would you be able to send it to me,?
In another link or maybe by email or something.
I'll really appreciate that.
Regards
Alan