PDA

View Full Version : Courtesies

Sidestick_flyer001
4th Oct 2006, 22:06
Has some instruction been issued for UK ATCOs not to say "Good Morning" or "Good Day" to pilots any longer?

ComJam
4th Oct 2006, 23:47
Does it matter? :confused:

Erm, not really....

Spitoon
5th Oct 2006, 05:44
Not that I'm aware of. Maybe you've just run into all the grumpy ones lately.

London Mil
5th Oct 2006, 05:58
Good Morning. Answering your question, not that I'm aware of. maybe we're just getting more grumpy with age?

ADIS5000
5th Oct 2006, 07:47
Or maybe everywhere is just getting busier?

oceans 11
5th Oct 2006, 10:17
There are more and more trainee atco's and they are advised not to say good morning and good bye as it wastes thinking time. It's a bit petty I know, you have probably just been unlucky and flown through airspace with trainees in control

Ayr-in-ya-JockStrap
5th Oct 2006, 10:39
There is growing concern over RT loading, i.e. there is limited opportunity to get in on the RT, so dispensing with the pleasantries is small way of increasing available air time. Hence why new ATCO's are being taught not to use "Good day" etc.

But don't worry, we still love you guys!!!:ok:

spekesoftly
5th Oct 2006, 10:44
The only written guidance I can recall seeing is in CAP 493 and CAP 413. Both state that "the excessive use of courtesies should be avoided". Certainly not a new ruling. I think most ATCOs and Pilots use their common sense, and keep things brief when the RTF workload and circumstances suggest it's appropriate.

2miles600feet
5th Oct 2006, 10:44
Given the standard of some of our student ATCOs, you should consider not being wished a good morning to be the least of your worries.

London Mil
5th Oct 2006, 13:16
Given the standard of some of our student ATCOs, you should consider not being wished a good morning to be the least of your worries.

At least they would get the courtesy right 50% of the time.;)

Mister Geezer
5th Oct 2006, 22:29
There is a time and a place for courtesies!

A good example of when not was last night at around 2030L on the Biggin sector (120.525) which was very busy - yikes :eek:

Sidestick_flyer001
6th Oct 2006, 03:19
Granted it is a petty subject, and certainly one would not like to unduly increase one's workload, However it is quite disconcerting for your greeting not to be reciprocated and similarly to be sent off to the next sector with no salutation.

Courtesies are part of our ingrained etiquette, whether in person or over RTF. Should trainee ATCO's be being told not to greet their 'clients' than more and more the human factor in aviation is being lost.

UK is not the only busy airspace in Europe, but this trend seems to be taking root only here.

Scott Voigt
6th Oct 2006, 04:05
Over here we are having less and less folks having a good day...

Scott

begbie
6th Oct 2006, 10:46
There is a time and a place for courtesies!

A good example of when not was last night at around 2030L on the Biggin sector (120.525) which was very busy - yikes :eek:

You should have seen the radar picture!!

Mister Geezer
6th Oct 2006, 11:59
Probably would of scared myself! :}