PDA

View Full Version : A/C Jazz Interview

atrflyguy
4th Oct 2006, 17:25
Hi all. I was wondering if some of you could give me some info on the Jazz interview process. Things like, What to ware, ( I am thinking suit and tie for sure ) how long it generally takes, What is the sim evaluation on, anything on technical stuff in the interview, etc. I GOT THE CALL and the interview is in November.
Also some questions about the operation for example what is the current wait time for someone who gets the call for the Dash 8 to make it to the RJ? I know the starting pay is only 35K a year but what and how long does it take to get up too? (No money isn’t every thing to me, but I would like to make more than that) Is the equipment bid process such that you may start out on the RJ but get bumped down to the Dash soon after? How many days a month do you work? Is the pension good? Are you happy there, and are most others good to work with? Etc.

P.S out of curiosity do people still transfer (if I can call it that) to the mainline A/C and is it common to see?

Cheers and thanks for any help and info

Flyer 1492
5th Oct 2006, 04:49
hi atr,
Congrats on the call. A suit and tie is probally the way to go. The questions in the interview are basically designed to see how you work with people and the public. The sim eval is just to see how well you can fly, the instructors will give you a sheet on the D-8 specs and ask you to look over it. Normal T/O a little airwork and then a precision approach followed by a miss and a engine failure and a non precision approach. The instructors are not there to see how well you know the systems, just how well you fly.

Pay rates are on formula for the first two years, then switch to hourly. Most f/o's are working around 80 to 82.5 hours a month. Check out avcanada.ca for the current pay rates. Most pilots are working around 15 days a month, if you sit on reserve you would be looking at 18-19 days a month. It depends on what the company needs at the time of your hiring, you could start out on the rj or on the d-8. Pay rates do not change with aircraft type. The pension is a defined benefit. Yes some pilots are moving over to mainline, mostly junior pilots have been leaving, interviews with mainline are done in order of senority. I am very happy here, I enjoy the people I work with and the routes we fly.
Let me know if you require any more info.

Flyer 1492

atrflyguy
5th Oct 2006, 17:55
Thanks Flyer 1492. Yes one other question. Is the Sim eval and Medical all on the sam day? Or is it one step at a time. I should have asked the guy on the phone but was to stuned to think of it.

Cheers

Flyer 1492
6th Oct 2006, 03:06
As far as I know, the Sim Eval and the Medical are held on different days. It could also be weeks if they are really busy.

Flyer

atrflyguy
6th Oct 2006, 22:13
Thanks again Flyer. What base and A/C are you at/on? I look forward to the chance to fly with you.

Flyer 1492
6th Oct 2006, 23:22
I am based in Calgary. Currently on LTD, but should be back in the new year, hopefully transitioning onto the rj. Most new hires are slotted for toronto or montreal, but you never know. pm me if you have any more questions.

Flyer

Kensiko
8th Oct 2006, 05:54
atrflyguy: The clothing description in the Jazz e-mail they send out prior to the interview specifies "business casual". A collared shirt and dress pants will suffice. The sim eval is exactly as flyer 1492 described.

Travel out of YZF should be easier now that Jazz is servicing the 'Knife. However make certain that the person responsible for travel has a firm grasp of geography. When I did the interview earlier this year they tried to book me through YXY! I think you are on the hook for the trip to the interview, and when you are called back for sim/medical they will pay your way. Given that you are travelling out of YZF (I assume), and sim is either YVR or YYZ, they will try to schedule both the eval and the medical at the same time for simplicity and I suppose a little cost savings. However it is not always possible.

The interview is very straight forward and easy going. No technical q's, all behaviourial type stuff (ie Have you ever had a boss you disagreed with? What did you do?) D-8 sim should be relatively easy for someone with an ATR background, remember they are used to dealing with guys/gals with nothing more than PA31/Be10 time.

Biggest things are the time between interview and the call-back for sim, and your ultimate decision of whether or not you want the job.

Good luck......and will there be an opening at 7F I should apply for?:)

atrflyguy
8th Oct 2006, 16:49
Thanks Kensiko. Yes there have been a ton of new hires this year as lots of people are leaving. Currently positions from ATR F/O and Cpt, to 737 F/O and C-130 both seats are being hired. If Yellowknife is ok with you I would say there is a good chance for anyone to get something.
One question you or Flyer might be able to answer. I know the address were the interview will take place is going to come in the e-mail before my interview but do you by any chance know approximately were it is? We use the 737 sim at the A/C training center and stay in the Richmond area so I figured I would be close if I stayed there.

Cheers and thanks again

Kensiko
12th Oct 2006, 15:39
Sorry for the late reply...

If you go for sim in YYZ, it will be at CAE.
The address is 2025 Logistics Drive (off Bramelea Road)
Mississauga, ON L5S 1Z9