PDA

View Full Version : ATFM vs military traffic

Frunobulax
3rd Oct 2006, 10:06
Let's say there is a controlled military airport inside you area of responsibilty, which is normally served by more or less ordinary traffic (some fighters, some mil cargo a/c etc.) and the area is rather not a busy one: until now everything is fine, no CTOT's issued since the traffic figures do not exceed the TMA capacity.

What if this military airport has some major mil excercise going on having 60 departures in few minutes time (OK, I exaggerate): how do you deal with such situation? Do the fighters get slots (frankly I can't imagine that) or there is other way to limit the amount of mil traffic?

Il Duce
3rd Oct 2006, 11:57
How about a meeting between the civil controllers, military controllers and exercise organisers to discuss procedures before the exercise begins. Come to an agreement on how to deal with this unusual activity safely and brief all controllers and aircrew involved.

Frunobulax
3rd Oct 2006, 12:01
Of course I thought of that, but how about more technical/formal approach?

Il Duce
3rd Oct 2006, 12:07
Formalise the ATC procedures to be adopted during the exercise and ensure that all those involved (ATC and aircrew) are briefed prior to the event. Get the temporary instructions into print (NOTAMs etc) and publicise as necessary.

Frunobulax
3rd Oct 2006, 12:09
Sounds reasonable, thanks.

On the other hand: are CTOTs ever issued for mil traffic during excersises?

Il Duce
3rd Oct 2006, 12:11
Not that I know of. However, the exercise organisers should know well in advance what the planned sorties are and their timings.

Fox3snapshot
3rd Oct 2006, 12:42
Hmmmm, a luxury we don't enjoy here, the military do as they please!

We have the joys of the military (read U.S.) operating 'due regard' hourly in this FIR so in the middle of your busy arrival and departures sequences, a loafing P3 or 2 fly maritime patrol at IFR levels or IFR +500 foot splits, often not talking to anybody. Then there are the carrier groups that launch the fleet right through your airways providing over the years numerous air misses and close calls.

:suspect: