PDA

View Full Version : not2long 2 pronounce?

chasing767
2nd Oct 2006, 21:14
hi chaps,
not quite sure whether it has come up here or not.
in the " before 8,33" spacing age we used ( and sometimes still do) to say all 5 digits of certain frequency given to a pilot by an ATCO.
now we are forced to pronounce all six digits according to new radiotelephony rules. since the first digit is ALWAYS "one" wouldn't it be just easier , quicker and more practicable to get rid of these "ones" and start sayin' 29.785 instead of 129.785 ?
any chance to change it ? who might be in charge of ?
what d'ya think?
ch767

AlanM
2nd Oct 2006, 21:59
....brilliant idea :ugh:

(apart from those using both VHF and UHF....)

clicker
2nd Oct 2006, 23:43
Fine until some half asleep foreigner decides 29.400 is a pressure setting and set his altimeters accordingly although will concede that some do read back freqs minus the first digit already.

tournesol
5th Oct 2006, 06:54
G'day Clicker.
Are you implying that foreigners are less proficient in RT ?
Besides when an a native English is abroad (as the English like to reffer to the rest of the world), he/she becomes the foreigner.
Besides that, I agree with the idea of dropping the one. It will minimize the mouthfull.

London Mil
5th Oct 2006, 06:57
... and before you know it, aircrew will be being sent to "Twenty nine forty five".

Ooops, they already are in some parts of the world. :\

If it aint broke.................

clicker
5th Oct 2006, 07:19
G'day Clicker.
Are you implying that foreigners are less proficient in RT ?
Besides when an a native English is abroad (as the English like to reffer to the rest of the world), he/she becomes the foreigner.
Besides that, I agree with the idea of dropping the one. It will minimize the mouthfull.

Hi tournesol,

Good point and one that I had missed. However the point I was trying to make is that dropping the "one" makes it too similar to altimeter settings that are passed in inches. I don't like to give Mr Error any chance to raise his ugly head.

!turnleftrightnow!
5th Oct 2006, 07:22
Chasing767, your idea is not too bad though...:D :D :D
once we leave those "ones" out, why dont we get rid of those stupid "zeros" when assigning FLs????
:eek: