PDA

View Full Version : DURHAM AIRPORT - 3

Pages : [1] 2

MME4eva
28th Sep 2006, 19:28
Well done Ryanair for putting trust in MME!!

I've bitten the bullet and booked on the maiden flight (Tues 13th Feb) returning the sat 17th Feb and it cost me a very pleasant £53!!!only slight annoyance was having to pay £7 to pay for 1 piece of luggage into the hold!!

I think its great news for MME lets just hope DTV play their cards right and the people of Tees Valley support the route and FR put more faith in MME!!

Its clearly a 'toe in the water' frequency but one that i really think will prove popular for the reasons already stated...the only dampner is that while MME has a month or so without FR competition from NCL also to GRO I just hope a decision is made soon as to focusing on either NCL or MME so that NCL doesnt attract too many MMEers!!

DTVAirport
28th Sep 2006, 20:06
If it does prove a success, and Ryanair up the frequency of the route or add more routes, then I'm quietly confident that Rome Ciampino hasn't seen the last of MME! :ok:

mmeteesside
28th Sep 2006, 20:42
Well this is good news for DTV - 3x weekly is a good start and maybe by Summer 2008 (:)) it may be increased to daily.

It sounds like there are more new routes to come (not necessarily from FR) soon - gathered from the Evening Gazette article tonight.

mmeteesside

DTVAirport
28th Sep 2006, 20:47
I saw the ITV North East News and it had a report on the new route - you saw a parked bmibaby aircraft in the background and in the foreground a beautiful Ryanair Boeing 737-800 in the revised livery with winglets was just parking up - and in classic Ryanair style, the aircraft sported extra, "Bye bye baby" titles! :E

Hugh Lang said at the end of the interview that the airport has, "More announcements up its sleeve".

onion
1st Oct 2006, 22:58
Have heard that bmibaby have offered a compensation package to flight deck crews to relocate to Birmingham although many seem to be moving upto Newcastle with easy or jet2. Also on top of that they are offering positions to the rest of the staff in Birmingham or redundency money, again many are taking the redundency money and moving upto Newcastle. Then factor into this that the aircraft from MME will be sat idle for a few months and cost even more money. Now the base at MME wasn't losing money yet bmibaby are prepared to spend huge amounts on relocating staff and having aircraft sat on the ground, why? The word is that the new bloke in charge of baby is totally bias towards Birmingham and has no need for a base in the North East.

DTVAirport
2nd Oct 2006, 07:38
Someone has just posted on the bmi thread that the bmi LHR-MME route is to be totally dropped and the slots used to launch a new long haul route.

Sadly I can believe this - bmi will know that the departure of bmibaby from MME will have knock-on effects on the LHR route because people are confusing the two airlines.

If bmi do pull out, is there any chance at all that BA could takeover?

Andy_S
2nd Oct 2006, 08:27
If bmi do pull out, is there any chance at all that BA could takeover?

Not a chance. BA, in common with BMI, would rather use their slots at LHR for long haul.

DTVAirport
2nd Oct 2006, 09:36
Thought so, plus in a way, they would be competing with themselves.

mmeteesside
2nd Oct 2006, 15:29
We may be seeing the end of the LHR route, but it would also see the end of the bmi agreement and we may see either FR or AB start a STN route.

mmeteesside

SWBKCB
2nd Oct 2006, 16:36
We may be seeing the end of the LHR route, but it would also see the end of the bmi agreement and we may see either FR or AB start a STN route.
mmeteesside

Would imagine that most of the current users of the LHR service would regard STN as a poor substitute - poorer access to central/West London and the Thames Valley and reduction in transfer opportunities.

On the other hand, KLM will be gutted...

DTVAirport
2nd Oct 2006, 17:01
Why would KLM Cityhopper be gutted? Do they still have plans to increase the Amsterdam route to 4x daily this winter?

Now there's a carrier I would love to see at MME - Air Berlin! But I would prefer them to use 738's rather than A32X's.

Charlie Roy
2nd Oct 2006, 18:24
Why would KLM Cityhopper be gutted?

I dunno, maybe SWBKCB is being sarcastic :confused:
The absense of a LHR route would see more MME passengers using AMS as hub. KLM would be jumping for joy!

Wellington Bomber
2nd Oct 2006, 18:38
DTV

I must be losing my commercial marbles somewhat, but why would the people of Teesside / Cleveland welcome with open arms AB, what are they going to provide?

MME / STN woopie do with onward connections to Germany WOW

Now genuine business people want to go to LHR to change to longhaul and they are losing this service, big dissapointment

I agree KLM will be rubbing their hands, and if any Germans want welcoming then bring in Lufthansa as the Star Alliance Partner not some other low cost airline, I thought that DTV had learned its lesson

DTVAirport
2nd Oct 2006, 18:47
I just said I personally would like to see AB at MME, I didn't say it would be commercially healthy - it wouldn't be, in my professional opinion, I know we need bmi to stay, even if it means mainline hands the route to regional.

pug
2nd Oct 2006, 19:05
Another region losing flights to our countries capital? :ugh:

In BMI's defence they seem to have clung on to many of the slots at LHR to use them on the regions, more than can be said for BA, who can fly a busy shuttle service to MAN, GLA and EDI but cant provide for its regions, leaving dedicated foreign companies like KLM to the regions.

I can understand BMI pulling out though, it cant be cheap running that service and any long haul routes would more than over compensate.

I suppose with a country so small flights to the regions, from an already overcrouded airport, arent on top of anyones list:{

mmeteesside
2nd Oct 2006, 20:22
Well after having gone through the passenger figures for August, I can reveal that the baby pullout has nothing to do with passenger figures (that was a lie!) as they are all pretty good.

Total in August was 109590 +4.2%, rolling year 952736 +7.5%

Alicante 5739 88.1%
Cork 3627 58.3%
Gatwick 4839 60.5%
Jersey 3353 80.9%
Malaga 5095 78.2%
Palma 5345
Paris 6170 67.2%
Newquay 3938 73.9%
Knock 670

Aberdeen 2824 51.8%
Dublin 9161 78.2%
Amsterdam10521 81.2%
Heathrow 7472 42.2%

The Aberdeen was +36% over last August, and doing better than NCL (2399 pax) :)

Baby meanwhile are a pack of liars :} and their pullout obviously has nothing to do with passenger numbers! :ugh: More to do with landing fees as I said before! :oh:

mmeteesside

ryanair1
2nd Oct 2006, 20:31
If it was to do with landing fees, then the airport has its own blood on its own hands. i reckon its more to do with the fact that bmibaby are blo*dy cr*p. Anyway...

Reckon flyglobespan will pick up the bmibaby routes, and if mainline bmi hand over LHR to regional, flyglobespan wil probably do STN too. long-haul connections will be lost to AMS.

brian_dromey
2nd Oct 2006, 21:06
I can understand BMI pulling out though, it cant be cheap running that service ......flights to the regions, from an already overcrouded airport, arent on top of anyones list:{

If bmi cant make money on the LHR service there is something seriously wrong. Any fool can make money in LHR, It is the most pestigious, most sought after airport for any flag carrier. I just dont buy that domestic service is unprofitable, hubs like LHR exist to feed traffic from smaller destinations to larger ones. Perhaps the BAA should look at awarding slots for endangered/underserved services within the UK? like at some airports in the US. Or at least make BA & bmi's international slots a function of their non-trunk domestic ones.

Perhaps if bmi seperated itself a little more from WW and offered a clear and simple product which offers good value they eould be better off, as at the moment its just bloody confusing.

On the WW front, what the hell is gong on....I know some loads were a bit poor, but I would ave thought that there was more than enough work for one a/c? I think there must be serious trouble brewing at WW. They clearly havent got a clue. MME was a nice safe haven from FR,etc but they'll prob put the 73's into LPL!!! :rolleyes:

GBALU53
2nd Oct 2006, 21:41
When any airline pulls out it always to do with commercial pressure and the locals lose out.

With some of the routes showing strong operating returns how long does it take before the commercial people say yes this route is a winner.

The old saying goes you have to lose money to gain money and new route are always a gamble, but to pull out when some of the routes were looking strong is very dishearting, when you have been down this road more than once is it worth staying in the strange world off aviation.

Northern Hero
2nd Oct 2006, 22:07
I was talking to the Aviance Station Manager earlier today and he had asked the bmi senior management the very question regarding the LHR route. He was told there is absolutely no truth in this rumour whatsoever.
He also stated that bmi are to install more self check in machines, have re-signed the lease on the Business and Diamond lounges, so why do that if they are pulling the route ?

MME was British Midlands first route ex LHR and SMB is protective towards it, plus it still makes money so why pull a profitable route ? Pax figures are picking up and I would imagine will increase with the loss of the WW LGW service.

I got the impression from the Aviance Station Manager that something positive may be on the horizon for DTVA but obviously, he could not say what.Possibly an announcement soon.;)

pug
2nd Oct 2006, 22:34
If bmi cant make money on the LHR service there is something seriously wrong. Any fool can make money in LHR, It is the most pestigious, most sought after airport for any flag carrier. I just dont buy that domestic service is unprofitable, hubs like LHR exist to feed traffic from smaller destinations to larger ones. Perhaps the BAA should look at awarding slots for endangered/underserved services within the UK? like at some airports in the US. Or at least make BA & bmi's international slots a function of their non-trunk domestic ones.

Landing fees at LHR can be crippling, while the service may do well it wont do as well as a service with larger a/c to some long haul destination. They pride themselves on being the worlds busiest international airport and so price a lot of services out of the market :ugh:

If what Northern Hero says is true though i dont think you have anything to worry about.

jongeman
2nd Oct 2006, 22:45
Perhaps the BAA should look at awarding slots for endangered/underserved services within the UK? like at some airports in the US.

This would have nothing to do with BAA. As a private company, their remit is to operate airports at maximum profitability. It would, however, have a lot to do with the UK government, who are highly unlikely to legislate in this way. The best example of a city which should have protected access to LHR is Liverpool (and MME)

DTVAirport
3rd Oct 2006, 07:35
If mainline bmi hand over LHR to regional, flyglobespan wil probably do STN too. long-haul connections will be lost to AMS.No they won't - the agreement between bmi and DTVA that only they can operate jet equipment into London would still stand. Although following Northern Hero's comments I now think it will remain in the hands of mainline.

Before the announcement that bmibaby were pulling out, it was mentioned that the airport was getting, "either a new operator or an old one returning" and Northern Hero hinted at this again in the post I referred to above, plus, Hugh Lang himself told ITV's North East news that there were more route announcements up the airports sleeve - so come on guys, bit more effort - who's gonna be flying where?

webby1919
3rd Oct 2006, 10:23
Looks like GSM will operate a series of shorthaul flights from MME to: ALC, AGP, PMI, FAO. Not released yet, but if you mess around with their timetables, these routes all come up. Should be announced shortly.

DTVAirport
3rd Oct 2006, 10:28
I sure as hell hope you're right! That would certainly take the sting out of bmibabys departure and *MIGHT* stop our annual passenger numbers from falling below the 1 million mark next year.

mmeteesside
3rd Oct 2006, 12:44
If you play around with the timetables you get PMI times for the return from 1st April, daily leaving PMI at 1430 arr MME at 1825

The destinations that show up properly are ALC AGP FAO PMI TFS at the moment (the ones I could find!) - certainly looks good from Flyg! :)

mmeteesside

Jet_stream
3rd Oct 2006, 13:28
What kind of timetable messing around are you talking about? Can't get any of these routes to show.

Pembo330
3rd Oct 2006, 13:58
No, I can't get any to show either?

The timetable section looks like a hard link - can you show us what you're doing.

In answer to an earlier question BTW, KLM F70 still 3 times daily over winter, though an F50 went overhead yesterday for the 5pm arrival. An one-off or a regular downgrade I don't know.

DTVAirport
3rd Oct 2006, 14:02
I think the KL1537 has been operated by a Fokker F50 for the last three days :-(

Hopefully, it is just a temporary measure. The KL1533 and KL1539 are still being operated by the Fokker F70.

When do the winter schedules officially start? I thought it would be this week but looking at the arrivals and departures boards the summer schedules are still running.

Charlie Roy
3rd Oct 2006, 14:13
What kind of timetable messing around are you talking about? Can't get any of these routes to show.

I think that what the lads playing around with Globespan timetables are doing, is assuming that gaps in the Globespan timetables are going to be filled with flights to MME.

???

uklad007
3rd Oct 2006, 14:14
This all makes for very interesting news.. PMI Daily is good and the others are certainly welcome, i would also hope a PRG route would be announced at some point.

I think flyglobespan has been mentioned a few times, the rumours and expectations based on what has been said coming from the press and airport officials looks promising re new airlines and old airlines returning.

So if Flyglobespan do take over PMI/ALC/AGP and introduce FAO a few routes and possibilities are left from what Baby is leaving behind.

In addition is it just a rumour or could there be any truth in BMI making an announcement on something seen earlier in this thread- am not talking axing of LHR as i believe that will stay but could an embraer be winging its way to MME i wonder for new routes?

Am throwing caution to the wind as i havent commented on what could happen and saying what i could see working but this would be it:

Flybe looking at LGW (although understand that BMI London agreement exists) maybe BFS also?
Air Southwest to Newquay
Ryanair bringing back Rome and possibly introducing Cork/Shannon? Is good news on the Girona front though, looks like the acted quickly to reduce NCL to 4x week to introduce MME 3x week (as it looks to have been the case):D
and i still wouldnt rule out Thomsonfly at somepoint, would very well complement their existing charter ops.

food for thought anyway!

DTVAirport
3rd Oct 2006, 14:37
I think that what the lads playing around with Globespan timetables are doing, is assuming that gaps in the Globespan timetables are going to be filled with flights to MME.

???
I would assume it will be a bit more complex than that, I don't think they would be getting excited over something that could mean anything.

Jet_stream
3rd Oct 2006, 15:03
I see what these guys are doing now...and before you get a bit too over excited. This does not mean that these routes are going on sale, it simply means that the routes have been loaded onto the website.

I could very well be wrong but looking at the ABZ flights it shows at least 3 daily flights to different destinations with overlapping flight times, which would mean at least 3 a/c at ABZ not going to happen.

So until the MME S07 routes are announced and bookable we'll have to wait and see.

shannon55
3rd Oct 2006, 15:11
I was just discussing on the Ryanair thread about a possible base at MME. I just suggested a few routes that they could possibly start, if ye want to check it out.;)

Shannon55.

Pembo330
3rd Oct 2006, 15:19
Don't think I can post the link but I can see now.

Essentially, go to the timetable section, and on the address change the season to summer 07 and change the destination. If you type in PMI you can see the daily schedule.

mmeteesside
3rd Oct 2006, 15:50
Yes if you change the destination in the address bar (go to timetables and click on GLA-BCN for example on Summer 2007 bit) to MME + PMI you can see the daily flights laid out (return only at the moment) and it shows the 2 'headers' for ALC, AGP, FAO and TFS also. However, put in YYZ or JFK and you'll see what you would normally get were you to simply 'make up' routes.

That bmi ERJ rumours sounds interesting, wonder if it could be for JER?

mmeteesside

Charlie Roy
3rd Oct 2006, 15:59
Aha! Ok I see what ye are doing now.
Changing the URL parameters: ingenious ;)

?OutDepAir=MME&OutArrAir=PMI&Season=SE7
shows daily flights to PMI for example.

HH6702
3rd Oct 2006, 16:14
Has this not been said before about changing the URL at the front.
Im sure that if you type in NCL to pmi-tfs- etc it will bring u to the same pages.

Hope mme does get something out of this though.

New York from NCL with GSM would be nice

mmeman
3rd Oct 2006, 16:58
HH6702

I am afraid it doesn't, it comes up with an error message when you try to put NCL to PMI for example, where it doesn't when you put mme to pmi.

Hopefully something will come out of this, but remember Geneva appeared on the bmibaby website timetable?!

Plus they had better hurry up and announce it if this is correct as they start going to PMI on 3rd November!!!

mattfalcus
4th Oct 2006, 10:19
Remember when Birmingham briefly appeared on bmibaby's website as a destination from MME? I wonder if that was a cruel ominous joke from WW's management.

Or maybe a series of staff flights to move everyone to the new base.

Good potential news on Flyglobespan though. I think they could make a success of things.

uklad007
4th Oct 2006, 11:56
Well looks like the rumour is true, On Flyglobespans website it shows for Durham Tees under Summer 07 Alicante, Faro, Palma and Malaga - still not in the booking system yet but on the front page for all to see - Well done Flyglobespan!:D

DTVAirport
4th Oct 2006, 13:17
Well done DTVA and Flyglobespan - an airline with plenty of sense!

Upon hearing this I jumped so high with excitement that I ran out of oxygen.

DTVAirport
4th Oct 2006, 13:44
How come the DTVA website is a bit on the slow side lately when it comes to releasing press releases on new routes? They're normally first to shout?

But more importantly, is this a base operation or is it just a series of routes?

Regards.

blahblahblah
4th Oct 2006, 13:54
DTVAirport

Can't see anything on the flyglobespan home page.... are you sure this is correct of just wishful thinking??:confused:

Pembo330
4th Oct 2006, 14:01
Its on the homepage Blah, just page down to the very bottom!

As for DTV website, I guess they'll announce it with GSM formally put things on sale.

My guess it'll be a one aircraft base. With daily to Palma + 1 or 2 runs per day to the other destinations.

Interesting that Tenerife isn't continued into the summer?

uklad007
4th Oct 2006, 14:02
Blahblah

Not wishful thinking, it was on their website for over an hour earlier today, although it now isnt showing (if i had a screenshot i would show you) it also showed its Summer routes from ABZ too, they did a similar thing a day or so before they formally announced the TFS route if memory serves correct, maybe they were testing how it will look with all new routes on, i used to do a similar thing when i managed a corporate website. :8

MME4eva
4th Oct 2006, 17:33
Well let's hope UKLad007 is on the ball and correct about GSM's proposed routes next summer from DTV..certainly it says on the website that more routes will follow soon so here's hoping it will be ALC, AGP, FAO and PMI (and hopefully TFS if it proves popular this winter) which im pleased to say are some sensible and hopefully well supported routes that will appeal to MMEers!

with regards to further FR expansion, i think GRO is probably the most popular and appealing route lookng at FR's 'base' destinations with the possible addition of Rome Ciampino.

just BRU that worries me...

MAN_Dispatcher
5th Oct 2006, 04:24
Any idea who is most likely to get the ground handling contract - Aviance or Servisair?

Aviance recently started offering ramp handling at MME in addition to above-wing, so it is a real shame that bmibaby pulled the plug when they did.

Who do GSM use at their other UK airports?

SWBKCB
5th Oct 2006, 06:53
Now confirmed on DTVA website
:D :D
"Direct Flights on sale now to Four Sunspots
NEXT SPRING THEY WILL FLY FROM DURHAM TEES VALLEY TO
PALMA, FARO, ALICANTE AND MALAGA - WITH PRICES FROM ONLY £39.99 INCLUDING TAXES
The North East is to have low fare, scheduled flights to four of Europe's most popular holiday destinations next year as rapidly-expanding airline flyglobespan launches a major 2007 programme from Durham Tees Valley Airport with the introduction of a 2 based aircraft operation.
The web-based airline announced today that it is to fly to Palma, Faro, Alicante and Malaga from spring of next year with one-way prices starting at only £39.99 including taxes. Additional routes for Summer 2007 will be announced in the near future.
Flyglobespan will initially operate the Alicante, Faro and Palma flights three times a week from Durham Tees Valley with the Malaga operating four times each week.
The initial programme is:
Malaga - commences March 30 - prices from £39.99 inc taxes
Palma - commences March 30 - prices from £39.99 inc taxes
Alicante - commences April 1 - prices from £39.99 inc taxes
Faro - commences April 1 - prices from £44.99 inc taxes
This choice and variety of flights make available the best of Spain's Costas, Portugal's ever-popular Algarve and No.1 holiday island Majorca and also gives travellers flexibility in choosing the duration of their holiday break.
This huge commitment from flyglobespan will totally transform the holiday options for the region. Flyglobespan, one of the UK's fastest-growing airlines, is already known to the area. The airline recently announced a weekly winter sun flight from Durham Tees Valley to Tenerife commencing on 7th November.
This summer programme emphasises their commitment to bring more low-fares flights to the region.
“I am absolutely delighted that we are able to bring the flyglobespan package to Durham Tees Valley in such a widespread manner,” says flyglobespan chairman Tom Dalrymple. “Now North East travellers will be able to enjoy scheduled flights to Europe's most popular resorts - at highly competitive prices. I am very pleased that we have been able to fit in a number of flights per week to all of these destinations. This gives the holidaymaker much more flexibility - and I am sure it will be appreciated. As well as improving the holiday options for the region, we will also be bringing employment into the area,” says Dalrymple. “We prefer to hire our flight deck personnel and cabin crew members locally and will be starting a recruitment drive immediately. When fully established, the two based aircraft operation will create approximately 60 jobs.
As with all flyglobespan programmes, holidaymakers can book flight only or take the complete package with transfers and/or accommodation.
Durham Tees Valley Airport Managing Director Hugh Lang said he was delighted that one of the UK's fastest growing airlines was making such a strong commitment to the airport and the people of the North East.
Said Mr Lang “I am sure that the news of flyglobespan's decision to establish a major operation at Durham Tees Valley will be greeted with delight by both the travelling public and our many partner agencies who recognise the importance of the area to the local economy.
“We had already established a relationship with flyglobespan through their decision to begin flights to Tenerife this winter and what I think is particularly pleasing is that the company is clearly committed to working with us to ensure that we are able to offer a wide choice to the kind of destinations which appeal to the travelling public in the North East.
“That bodes very well for the future and I am sure that people in the region, who clearly value their local airport and the services it provides, will demonstrate that by supporting the flyglobespan programme in large numbers.”

DTVAirport
5th Oct 2006, 07:21
Brilliant! Just got the e-mail through from the airport, does anyone know what the aircraft types will be?

I get the feeling this is just the beginning too...

uklad007
5th Oct 2006, 08:08
Am guessing it will be 737's, interesting to note the two based aircraft ops and the note in the mail that came from DTV saying more summer routes to be announced very shortly, it doesnt take much to do the math and realise they will have plenty of capacity to start up new routes looking at the rotations announced. If CDG and also Prague arent announced i will be surprised, i say Prague as its definately one of the bread and butter loco routes that was in effect missing from the baby schedule (even though they did go there once) . I think Faro is a welcome addition also which will prove popular!:ok:

DTVAirport
5th Oct 2006, 09:00
I know it will be 737's but they have -300's, -600's -800's and 2 -700's are on order to be delivered in February and Spring 2007.

Yes, I like what it says about more routes to be added to the programme - I think Cork, Paris CDG and either Geneva or Prague.

shannon55
5th Oct 2006, 09:38
Great news for MME. It deserves some good news after the blow of losing WW. If globespan can do half as well at MME as they've done at Glasgow then I feel the future is looking bright for the airport! I think they might start with B737-300s maybe??? I'd love to see them re-open the ORK route.:ok: :ok: :ok:

mmeteesside
5th Oct 2006, 10:11
Great news for DTVA! Exactly what we were hoping for! I'm sure flyglobespan will be more successful than baby ever were, and I imagine the extra routes to be announced are going to be longer ones like PRG, BCN and I also presume TFS will be in there somewhere.

As to the routes already announced, well 13 flights per week, 2 based aircraft can do 6 flights a day (3 each) thats 42 flights per week so you can see how much spare capacity is left. Of course having TFS in there might reduce this to around 39 a week (takes up 4 normal length rotations out of 6 in a day for an aircraft I believe).

This is good news, and I'm sure they will be very welcome here at DTVA, and I hope the public support them like they did with bmibaby.

mmeteesside

uklad007
5th Oct 2006, 10:20
mmeteesside

As TFS Winter schedule is operated by a TFS based aircraft its likely to assume this may remain so this can come out of your calculations on spare capacity i guess. Lots more to come then.......

DTVAirport
5th Oct 2006, 10:27
Yes, I hope TFS is continued into the summer with the Tenerife based aircraft. Will this be on tonights north east news or last nights?

I wish all these announcements had come in the same month - simply because there would have been an entire page on DTVA in the next Airliner World magazine! :}

It just goes to prove that good always comes out of bad...

JKP505
5th Oct 2006, 11:08
Great news for MME, looks like GSM will be sensible with route structure as well. The additional routes will probably fit in with what they have served already, so NCE, PFO and PRG look likely. If GSM are going to do the longer range flights - Canaries and Cyprus, the a/c will most likely be the 736 imo, as the 733 or 737 doesn't have the range, whilst the 738 is probably a tad too large to start with.

I don't think GSM will fly to Cork or Paris, it doesn't fit in their route structure, but stranger things have happened.

Pembo330
5th Oct 2006, 11:22
Timetable so far is for one based aircraft:-

Monday - Malaga/Palma
Tuesday - Faro
Wednesday - Malaga/Alicante
Thursday - Faro/Alicante
Friday - Malaga/Palma
Saturday - Palma/Malaga
Sunday - Faro/Alicante

With the first flight leaving MME @ 7am and the second destination leaving between 2 and 2.30pm.

Clearly, there is a hole for the second Tuesday run.

Not yet convinced more routes will follow for next summer (despite the press release) - don't be surprised if its just a one aircraft base for the first year, doubling up in the second.

Prague and Tenerife are obvious choices for any second aircraft, whilst Barcelona may not be as popular a choice for GSM given Ryanair announcing Gerona.

Great news!

DTVAirport
5th Oct 2006, 11:32
When bmibaby first announced the base operation at MME, didn't they originally say they were going to base two aircraft?

Pembo330
5th Oct 2006, 12:18
Exactly DTV, they did.

Wouldn't be suprised if they watched how bookings went before committing to another aircraft. The current schedule doesn't really have gaps as such, its pretty much used in full during daylight hours. Any additional routes will probably come from aircraft number 2.

I guess having bitten by BMI's promises, I'm not totally convinced number 2 will be here too quickly.

DTVAirport
5th Oct 2006, 12:28
I suppose watching how bookings goes is a sensible thing to do, but won't GSM need to purchase or lease another 1 or 2 aircraft for MME? If no then won't that mean them downsizing at 1 or 2 other hubs?

If GSM don't take over the ORK and CDG routes then it would be ideal for bmi regional to send us an Embraer to operate these along with perhaps BFS, JER, LGW and perhaps even the German market with SXF or FRA.

Pembo330
5th Oct 2006, 12:48
Again, I agree DTV.

I can't see GSM doing Cork, Paris, Jersey, Gatwick etc.. I don't think it fits what they do best.

For me, likely GSM new routes would be Prague, Tenerife, Ibiza, Mahon, Gran Canaria, Paphos, Murcia etc... i.e. holiday routes.

The RJ would be an ideal fit to take over Paris & Cork and any German routes. Brussels also if they want to compete with Eastern.

holgate
5th Oct 2006, 12:54
Fantastic news for everyone involved with DTV
Just seen interview on tv with DTV Boss,...another 4 routes to come in the next few days...finalising plans!!!:)
What a crazy few weeks its been
Up the boro
Holgate:ok:

MAN_Dispatcher
5th Oct 2006, 12:59
Don't expect bmi to start any regional flights out of MME - they have had years to do this, so I really can't see them starting now.

CDG and BFS/BHD are difficult ones with a larger aircraft - I can imagine the likes of BE or maybe T3 making a success of it, but not a B737 operator. ORK would be a good route for Aer Arran in my opinion.

Maybe BD will bring back the JER flight, either with an A319/20 or ERJ from bmi regional, since it was operated for years by BD before becoming a WW flight. If GSM announce JER, however, they will surely make a success of it, as BD used to send F100s and B737s full to JER on a weekend.

It will be great to see GSM making a success of MME and I wish them all the luck in the world.

Who is the initial handling agent for GSM at MME?? I imagine they must have a contract in place by now if they are starting the TFS route this month. It would be nice to see it go to Aviance, as they invested in their own ramp handling recently, and it would be an ideal replacement for the lost bmibaby business. Any ideas?

DTVAirport
5th Oct 2006, 13:22
What a crazy few weeks its beenCouldn't agree more - but I don't think I would have had it any other way!

Wonder what the four new routes will be?

holgate
5th Oct 2006, 13:49
So guys,..are there anymore airlines on the DTV radar?
Air Southwest to Newquay?,Wizz-air to Poland?,Ryanair from Shannon?.....
or am I being to greedy!:E
Also fellas,whats the score with the baby crews?,transfering to other baby bases?,...or will the majority be applying to join globespan?....
As for the four routes to come.......my guess is Prague/Paris/Nice and......
.........dunno for the last one.......Copenhagen would be nice:ok:
Holgate

Jet_stream
5th Oct 2006, 14:20
Just had a look at the GSM MME schedule. At present 1 a/c with 2 rotations per day with the exception of TUE and SAT where there is presently only 1. So already room for a twice weekly destination with 1 a/c.

The only other option for more routes with 1 a/c would be night flights.

MME4eva
5th Oct 2006, 17:15
Fantastic news-well done all at DTV and GSM!!

well well well what a difference a few weeks makes in aviation!!although a young company which hitherto has been unknown south of the border i really am optimistic as they choose their routes sensibly (everybody knows my views on WW's NOC and winter JER rotations!!)and they have aircraft in their fleet that will match the demand appropriately.

I agree that it will most likely be a 1 based summer operation and i UKLad007 is correct then TFS would still be operated by the TFS based aircraft allowing 1 or 2 more routes that I would personally like to see being PRG as its been proven to be popular.

As for other suggested routes:

CDG-I agree it does not fit into GSMs current route structure leaving perhaps TOM to offer a ORY rotation but TOM basing highly unlikely now?

ORK-although i see the appeal definately more suited to smaller operation ike bmi regional (unlikely given theyve just dropped LBA-ORK) or a ORK based operator i.e Aer Arann (however just started LBA route)

LGW-i honestly feel this was overload on the MME route netwoek as it only means BD service would be adversely affected and we want to build up routes not destroy them from within!

JER-most likely bmi regional or VLM as is offered at HUY or perhaps Air Southwest as was the case a few years back

NQY-could onyl see this work of offered by Air Southwest NQY based aircraft but it must be a possibilty given no routes from NCL at present and WW seemed to like it

BHD-FlyBE with BHD based aircraft or perhaps T3?

To sum up I feel another based operator is now unlikely and therefore an expansion would come from airlines with bases elsewhere such as flyBE at BHD or Air Southwest at NQY or seasonal charters like VLMor bmi regional

blahblahblah
5th Oct 2006, 17:45
Interesting how everyone is speculating on four new routes.

If you read the article Hugh Lang said "up to four new routes", as usual the media have taken this to be four new routes...

Anyway lets hope for some more good news:ok:

MME4eva
5th Oct 2006, 18:44
hugh lang actually said 'no more than 4 routes' so we can assume its goin to be 3 or 4 on a 3x weekly basis or 1 or 2 5xweekly

as an add on to people suggesting NCE i'd be very surprised if this happened as i imagine the weekly service by WW wasnt that well supported?

anyone know how BRU and TFS sales are goin?

HH6702
5th Oct 2006, 19:52
Excellent news for DTV and flyglobespan. The future is bright now much better than what bmibaby could offer DTV.

hugh lang said on TV that there will be 2 based aircraft from the spring. 4 routes on sale today at least another 4 to follow soon.

I still belive that the deal was done when TFS went on sale. Hugh lang said on TV that when they learnt that baby was pulling out they sat down with other low cost operators and talked about which routes they could offer from DTV. I think that JET2.com lost out with this as they were very quick on the day to slate DTV for the loss and come to fly with us from NCL and LBA.

Great news today with lots more to come. DTV has a great future ahead!!

uklad007
5th Oct 2006, 20:27
I agree with MME4EVA in that NCE possibly wouldnt work, but there are lots of other choices there to be chosen.:ok:

DTVAirport
5th Oct 2006, 20:59
Earlier on Ceefax it said that Jet2.com were launching from DTVA, it was an obvious mistake though.

goldeneye
5th Oct 2006, 21:12
Flyglobespan are starting four routes from MME, Looking at the times the aircraft will be based in MME. They are AGP, PMI from 30 March and ALC & FAO from 1 April.

Alicante is 3x weekly (Sun, Wed, Thu)
Faro is 3x weekly (Sun, Tue, Thu)
Malaga is 4x weekly (Sat, Mon, Wed, Fri)
Palma is 3x weekly (Sar, Mon, Fri)

Along with the current winter tueday flight to TFS

Jet_stream
5th Oct 2006, 21:49
goldeneye this was already discussed on here previous page :O

Centre cities
5th Oct 2006, 21:53
Nice to see new routes but before everybody gats carried away it still needs bottoms on seats for a reasonable fare.

Funny that Baby are now to out it politley not missed, wonder what comments will be made if it dosnt work for Globespan.

On the subject of money I wonder what deal has been done if any to attract them and Ryanair, that may have an impact on the old fianances.

Centre cities

mmeteesside
6th Oct 2006, 14:01
In the Northern Echo (newspaper) today Hugh Lang says that 'these are different types of aircraft' (comparing to baby) and that one a/c will arrive in March and the 2nd in May. The next 4 routes are to be announced within the next 10 days.

So the first aircraft's schedule is...
Mon 0700/1105 AGP 1150/1355
Mon 1430/1815 PMI 1915/2105
Tue 0700/1005 FAO 1035/1340
Wed 0700/1105 AGP 1150/1355
Wed 1410/1805 ALC 1840/2040
Thu 0700/1005 FAO 1035/1340
Thu 1410/1805 ALC 1840/2040
Fri 0700/1105 AGP 1150/1355
Fri 1430/1815 PMI 1915/2105
Sat 0700/1045 PMI 1145/1335
Sat 1405/1810 AGP 1900/2105
Sun 0700/1005 FAO 1035/1340
Sun 1410/1805 ALC 1840/2040

So still a gap on Tuesday afternoon and those times will tighten up I'm sure, should be able to fit 2x long and 1x short returns into 1 day

mmeteesside

MME4eva
6th Oct 2006, 17:07
great news that we hopefully wont have to wait too long to hear the 4 other routes:D

just lookin at GSM website and presuming that they will stick to known destinations to the company I predict 4 of the following:

1. TFS-must be definate:)

2. PRG-again a dead cert:confused:

3. Ibiza

4. Menorca

5. Gran Canaria

6. Lanzarote

7. Cyprus

Go on GSM keep it simple and offer what MMEers want and will use!!

On the Eastern Airways front, I can only assume BRU sales are poor-personally I'd be surprised of the first flight is even full looking at the ridiculous price for a day return..speaking to a well placed source last night and he said the route has only been launched due to EU funding and NOT because of demand from the local business community as some would like us to believe

mme_pilot
6th Oct 2006, 18:04
What do you think the chances are of GSM starting a weekly rotation to SFB? The north east badly needs direct scheduled flights to FL.

I remember when Britannia and Airours used to fly the route, maybe it would work for GSM too.

SWBKCB
10th Oct 2006, 21:24
Interesting piece in the Northern Echo:

http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/business/news/display.var.960490.0.blueprint_for_future_delayed_yet_again. php

GBALU53
12th Oct 2006, 20:55
With a second aircraft going to take up residency, what routes will this aircraft do?

Wil it do some shorter routes BMI Baby were doing before the plug was pulled out of the baby.s bath.

Or is the intension to grow on the routes already or start some new one,s??:ok: :ok:

DTVAirport
13th Oct 2006, 07:47
As far as I know the second Eastern aircraft will operate Brussels and Brussels alone, it may be used to operate more routes in the future, but not in the short term.

A small article in the November 2006 edition of Airliner World magazine hints it will only be used for Brussels as well.

Shouldn't the four new routes that Flyglobespan were supposed to be announcing in addition to the ones already announced have been released by now?

skyman771
13th Oct 2006, 14:58
Shouldn't the four new routes that Flyglobespan were supposed to be announcing in addition to the ones already announced have been released by now?
By taking the predicted 'sunshine routes' which are the most likely to give what comfort there is to the GSM planners, then why take a risk on the 'thinner' routes before obtaining comfort from their own operational experience ? Lets face it there is hardly a queue of other 'suitors'. The only way I can see GSM going for additional routes in the short term is to fill in gaps in the operations of the already announced based aircraft.:)

mmeman
13th Oct 2006, 21:09
Skyman 771, not quite sure what you are trying to say :confused: What 'thinner' routes do you mean? Do you know that there are no other 'suitors', or are you just guessing?? The airport MD said that there would be up to 4 further routes form GSM, so we will wait and see where they are to.

On another subject, bmi have shown just how committed they are to MME by making the first departure to LHR even later to 8.15am, and the next departure not until 12.45, which means there is abmi aircraft on the ground from 09.00 to 12.45. I maybe wrong but I would have thought an earlier departure would be more successful:confused:

Wellington Bomber
14th Oct 2006, 06:50
On another subject, bmi have shown just how committed they are to MME by making the first departure to LHR even later to 8.15am, and the next departure not until 12.45, which means there is abmi aircraft on the ground from 09.00 to 12.45. I maybe wrong but I would have thought an earlier departure would be more successful:confused:

MMEMAN

Get the calculator out again regarding on ground time!

If the 2nd departure leaves at 1245 from MME and the first departure arrives at LHR at 0900, how is the plane going to get back to MME? Maybe they have a Tardis to do this

mmeteesside
14th Oct 2006, 08:31
This winter bmi plan to use
340/331 - A319
332/333 - A320
338/339 - A319

As for Flyglobespan they did say the next 4 routes should be released within 2 weeks, and that was on the 5th so we'll give them til the 19th!

mmeteesside

DTVAirport
14th Oct 2006, 08:32
Don't quite understand what you guys are saying about bmi to LHR? I think I've asked this before, but are they still going ahead with plans to operate all LHR rotations with nothing but Airbus A319's this winter? Hope so.

J-Guy
15th Oct 2006, 18:36
With regards to flights between Jersey and Durham Tees for 2007, according to Jersey Travel the flight will operate as a charter with VLM on Saturdays.
It cannot replace the bmibaby services but at least a charter will be in operation so tourists have access to the island.

VG597 Arrives DTV 16:15
VG598 Departs DTV 17:00

DTVAirport
15th Oct 2006, 19:19
It's certainly better than nothing! It will be good to see a VLM Fokker 50 at the airport that's for sure!

With regards to the four more routes that Flyglobespan could be launching, I think if we don't hear anything tomorrow (16-10-06) then we should start to get worried...

daz211
15th Oct 2006, 19:23
well the Athens flight from STN is only bookable to 27/28 oct so that must free up an a/c as their is nothing on gsm website to say it will continue or be replaced maybe you will get the A/C.

mmeman
15th Oct 2006, 20:26
Sorry maybe I didn't make myself clear.

The first departure to LHR from MME is at 08.15.
The first departure to MME from LHR is at 07.55 arriving MME at 09.00.
The next departure from MME is at 12.45, so the aircraft is on the ground at MME from 09.00 until 12.45.

DTVAirport
16th Oct 2006, 18:17
I've tried to avoid breaking PPRuNe's 'no advertising' rule as best I can here, but I'd just like to announce that geocitiesdotcomforwardslashdtvairport has received another new look - the best yet!

mmeteesside
16th Oct 2006, 18:26
Ooh Chris you're living dangerously there, hanging on the edge :E

As for the new Eastern route to Brussels I see plenty of advertising on buses around Stockton and Middlesbrough, advertising it as a '12 star service' with the EU star logo. Way better than those :mad: Bristol adverts!! They were truly awful :} Good to see them advertising it though :ok:

Globespan said they would release the next 4 routes in 2 weeks, this was announced on 5th, so I'll give them til the 19th (Thurs) before starting to wonder ;)

mmeteesside

DTVAirport
16th Oct 2006, 18:28
That sounds like sensible advertising actually. How's your bro's website coming along? I just get a blank page at the moment.

mmeteesside
16th Oct 2006, 20:03
Just found out that G-TAGH now belongs to Northern Aviation, this is their second Beech 200 now, due in in about 20 mins. This one joins G-ONAL in the Northern fleet, doing well them lot, ONAL is always busy so the addition of TAGH to the fleet seems sensible!

mmeteesside

DTVAirport
17th Oct 2006, 15:02
I've drawn up the following timetables for my website for Winter 2006/2007, can someone let me know if there are any errors or if I've missed anything - I'm sure I heard somewhere that there were to be three charters this winter and I've only got two.

Scheduled Flights:

DTVA – Aberdeen:
Departs: Arrives: Flight: Days: Aircraft:
06:40 07:40 T3580 12345 JS41
10:00 11:00 T3582 12345 JS41
14:40 15:40 T3586 12345 JS41
17:40 18:40 T3588 123457 JS41
Aberdeen – DTVA:
Departs Arrives: Flight: Days: Aircraft:
08:30 09:30 T3581 12345 JS41
13:10 14:10 T3585 12345 JS41
16:10 17:10 T3587 123457 JS41
19:55 20:55 T3589 12345 JS41
DTVA – Amsterdam:
06:00 08:25 KL1530 1234567 FK70
10:20 12:40 KL1534 1234567 FK70
17:25 19:45 KL1538 1234567 FK70
Amsterdam – DTVA:
09:25 09:40 KL1533 1234567 FK70
16:30 16:45 KL1537 1234567 FK70
21:35 21:50 KL1539 1234567 FK70
DTVA – Barcelona Girona:
13:35 16:55 FR9348 246 B738W
Barcelona Girona – DTVA:
11:20 12:40 FR9347 246 B738W
DTVA – Brussels:
06:50 09:40 T34461 12345 JS41
16:45 19:35 T34467 12345 JS41
Brussels – DTVA:
10:10 11:00 T34462 12345 JS41
20:05 20:55 T34468 12345 JS41
DTVA – Dublin:
10:35 11:35 FR603 7 B738W
14:35 15:40 FR603 1 B738W
14:45 15:50 FR603 24 B738W
16:30 17:35 FR603 5 B738W
Dublin – DTVA:
09:15 10:10 FR602 7 B738W
13:15 14:10 FR602 1 B738W
13:25 14:20 FR602 24 B738W
15:10 16:05 FR602 5 B738W
DTVA – London Heathrow:
07:00 08:15 BD331 7 A320
08:15 09:35 BD331 123456 A319
12:45 14:05 BD333 1234567 A320
19:00 20:10 BD339 123457 A319
London Heathrow – DTVA:
07:55 09:00 BD332 123456 A320
08:20 09:25 BD332 7 A320
17:10 18:20 BD338 123456 A319
20:05 21:15 BD340 6 A320
20:50 22:00 BD340 123457 A319
DTVA – Tenerife South:
15:00 19:45 GSM081 2 B738W
Tenerife South – DTVA:
09:30 14:15 GSM082 2 B738W

Charter Flights:

DTVA – Alicante:
15:15 19:05 TOM6821 2 B752
Alicante – DTVA:
11:35 13:45 TOM6822 2 B752
DTVA – Tenerife South:
12:35 17:10 AEA274 5 B738W
Tenerife South – DTVA:
07:10 11:35 AEA273 5 B738W

1=Monday
2=Tuesday
3=Wednesday
4=Thursday
5=Friday
6=Saturday
7=Sunday

Summary:

Good Points:
-Despite bmibaby pulling out, the 'size' of the timetable doesn't seem too effected - probably because of three new routes - Brussels, Tenerife South and Barcelona Girona - hope that made sense!
-bmi seem to be sending us less A319's and more A320's which obviously means an increase in capacity on the route - the opposite of what you would expect as you'd think they would reduce capacity due to the inevitable knock-on effects of bmibaby pulling out.
Bad Points:
-On some of the Amsterdam routes the duration of the flight has been increased by five minutes, hinting at the possibility of Fokker 50's and not Fokker 70's.
-Lost the Wednesday and Saturday Dublin flights
-Thomsonfly Tenerife South flight could have bad effects on the load factors of the Flyglobespan Tenerife South flight or vice versa.
Can anyone tell me whether the Thomsonfly Tenerife South flight will be operated by Boeing 737-800's or Boeing 757-200's? I've put Boeing 757-200's but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

DTVAirport
20th Oct 2006, 12:20
Well, I think we can assume that DTVA is just going to be a one-aircraft base operation for Flyglobespan. Still, I ain't complaining!

mattfalcus
20th Oct 2006, 12:34
Summary:
Good Points:
-Despite bmibaby pulling out, the 'size' of the timetable doesn't seem too effected - probably because of three new routes - Brussels, Tenerife South and Barcelona Girona - hope that made sense!
-bmi seem to be sending us less A319's and more A320's which obviously means an increase in capacity on the route - the opposite of what you would expect as you'd think they would reduce capacity due to the inevitable knock-on effects of bmibaby pulling out.
Bad Points:
-On some of the Amsterdam routes the duration of the flight has been increased by five minutes, hinting at the possibility of Fokker 50's and not Fokker 70's.
-Lost the Wednesday and Saturday Dublin flights
-Thomsonfly Tenerife South flight could have bad effects on the load factors of the Flyglobespan Tenerife South flight or vice versa.
Can anyone tell me whether the Thomsonfly Tenerife South flight will be operated by Boeing 737-800's or Boeing 757-200's? I've put Boeing 757-200's but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Believe me, the Fokker 50s take a lot more than 5 minutes longer than the F70s from Amsterdam. And it's the last thing you need when you've just done an 11 hour flight :hmm:

I don't think the Thomsonfly Tenerife flight will affect the Flyglobespan one too much. Thomsonfly operated quite well alongside bmibaby over the summer on routes to Alicante, Palma, Malaga etc. I'd assume they'd be using a 757 based on previous years.

Matt

mmeteesside
20th Oct 2006, 16:16
The Thomson flight to TFS is actually done by Air Europa, usually using a B738W, and TOM do the ALC with (NCL?) B752 on a W routing from the base (hence the times)

mmeteesside

mmeteesside
22nd Oct 2006, 10:10
It is for Thomson, they're out of here at the end of the month and won't return, the 738 is to be used in MAN instead and the crews have been told to go to NCL (the other choice was nothing). Apparently next summer some flights will be done with W's from other bases.

As for the management, well, 3 based a/c lost in a few weeks, is it not time to get someone else in? :ouch:

mmeteesside

airhumberside
22nd Oct 2006, 11:20
First LBA, now MME - sounds like Thomson are consolidating at large bases :{

Could their LPL base (also just a one aircraft base) be at risk next?

DTVAirport
22nd Oct 2006, 12:26
I don't believe it! Surely though Thomsonfly should be just as replaceable as bmibaby were?

Perhaps this would be a good time for MyTravel to relaunch their old base operation at MME with an Airbus A320? Other than that, I wouldn't like to see another base operation at MME to replace TOM, instead, I would like to see a wider variety of charter carriers, e.g. the likes of MON and FCA.

airhumberside
22nd Oct 2006, 13:12
What routes are TOM keeping?

If TOM wanted they could have expanded at MME and replaced bmi baby - lets just hope GSM prove to them that they missed a good oppurtunity

HH6702
22nd Oct 2006, 17:45
Cant see TOM pulling out of liverpool it's a much bigger catchment area than DTV.

Bad news if this is true.

fl dutchman
22nd Oct 2006, 18:08
Do they not pull out anyway at the end of the summer season and return the following season ?.
Is it the case that they are not basing an aircraft during summer 2007. They are still taking bookings for next summer!.

mmeteesside
22nd Oct 2006, 18:22
Yes they won't be returning for Summer 2007, so we'll have to wait and see what happens on that, they are still selling the flights for now, but apparently the closure has been known about for months now.

As for Flyglobespan, are the rumours of MME-JFK still going around :confused: However I'm not sure about that one, Tenerife is an almost definite I would have thought for next summer for the base.....the second aircraft isn't due to arrive until May so not so much of a rush to get things on sale for that one. Expect some firming up of the schedules for the first aircraft soon.

Some news about Eastern, of course the new Brussels route starts next Monday. Also, the Sunday Aberdeen, as from next week, will not operate from/to Humberside on each end of the rotation. This flight will now be done from the Aberdeen base, to the schedule of the Mon-Fri 587/588 (67L/68L) - thats great news as it means that MME now has the whole aircraft to fill, rather than sharing it with HUY. :ok:

DTVAirport
23rd Oct 2006, 09:21
http://www.durhamteesvalleyairport.com/page.php?p=3&media_id=28&month=Oct

Wizz Air will fly to Warsaw three times weekly from 28th July 2007 with fares from £23.99! Brilliant news for the airport!

airhumberside
23rd Oct 2006, 09:29
Well done to MME for getting Wizz. And it if it does well I would expect Gdansk and Katowice to come

As for Eastern, the Sunday service is operated by a NEMA aircraft (NEMA-ABZ-MME-ABZ-NEMA) with HUY-ABZ going non stop. The NEMA aircraft used to do a LBA flight on a Sunday which is now done on a LBA based aircraft instead of LBA-SOU

Northern Hero
23rd Oct 2006, 22:02
According to Aviance, bmi are adding a fourth LHR service, daily except Saturday for the winter. It's a slot protector, I guess for the Mumbai. BD345 departs MME at 2150 so no night stopping aircraft. The BD330 operates inbound at 0740 to turnround as the BD331 to LHR at 0815.
Hands up all those who said bmi would pull out of MME :=

Aviance have been awarded the Flyglobespan contract. :D

ncleflights
23rd Oct 2006, 22:13
Well done DTVA in getting the Wizz Air flights, hopefully it will wake the management up the road at NCL into recognising that the NE Competition for routes is starting to heat up.

DTVAirport
24th Oct 2006, 06:37
Hands up all those who said bmi would pull out of MME :=If Sir Richard Branson gets his way they will!

The bmi website confirms a fourth daily rotation.

MAN_Dispatcher
24th Oct 2006, 11:48
According to Aviance, bmi are adding a fourth LHR service, daily except Saturday for the winter. It's a slot protector, I guess for the Mumbai. BD345 departs MME at 2150 so no night stopping aircraft. The BD330 operates inbound at 0740 to turnround as the BD331 to LHR at 0815.
Hands up all those who said bmi would pull out of MME :=
Aviance have been awarded the Flyglobespan contract. :D

Thats two great bits of news.

BD330, hey? Thats a first...

Great news for Aviance. I was concerned after the announced withdrawal of WW, especially with Aviance having invested in ramp handling recently at MME. I'm sure they will do well looking after GSM - best of luck to them.

I hope the long haul rumours are true - I reckon if they operated a MME-LPL-JFK service it could work, but a B763 just out of MME? To be convinced...

bycrewlgw
24th Oct 2006, 12:31
Didn't MYT used to operate a 763 out of MME to SFB via PIK? I'm sure that lasted a few years so no reason why other operators should fail! Good luck MME!!!

DTVAirport
24th Oct 2006, 12:32
BD345 is also a first, and if someone did decide to try Durham Tees Valley - New York (which I believe could be very successful) they would use a 757.

Pembo330
24th Oct 2006, 15:16
Any more news on the Thomsonfly story?

At this moment in time, I'm being told the aircraft will definitely return next summer.

DTVAirport
24th Oct 2006, 17:22
Just caught part of a news article on ITV Tyne Tees news about a Turkish tour operator increasing flights to DTVA, I think that was it anyway, I presume from summer 2007, can anyone shed any light?

Good news regardless.

mmeteesside
24th Oct 2006, 18:12
This would be Holidays4u who are operating a full season next year? Or is it someone else offering new destinations? We still don't have an Antalya.

As for other routes, well there are some that would work nicely from here....

Prague (B733ish)
Nice (B733ish)
Cork (ATR72/DH8D)
Southampton (ATR42/DH8C)
Newquay (ATR72/DH8D)
Bristol (ATR42/DH8C)

To name just a few..... they would all surely work well, and the point I'm getting at I guess is every destination will work properly given the correct fares/times and aircraft types.

mmeteesside

mmeman
24th Oct 2006, 18:18
The Turkish operator is Holidays4U, it is on the airport webiste, flight running all summer, not just the peak time.

I am guessing the withdrawl of Thomsonfly is true, but you can still book flights and holidays and the times of the flight are for a based aircraft, maybe they will use Air Europa or Spanair:confused:
Maybe they will do W patterns from other bases. Who knows?

And to be very sad, sorry, I belive we have had a BD345 before. In the 80's(??), on a weekend the flight numbers used to be BD341-BD349 as they used Viscounts and F27's! I know I am sad. But I don't think we have ever had a BD330!
And yes we did have AIH B763's going to Orlando and Dominican Republic, but it was via Glasgow, I think.

blahblahblah
24th Oct 2006, 18:26
'I am guessing the withdrawl of Thomsonfly is true'

Based on what?:*

fl dutchman
24th Oct 2006, 19:06
Didn't MYT used to operate a 763 out of MME to SFB via PIK? I'm sure that lasted a few years so no reason why other operators should fail! Good luck MME!!!

I think it was a Monarch A300 on behalf of Airtours Holidays via Glasgow and Bangor

mmeteesside
24th Oct 2006, 19:15
It was done by an Airtours B763 at some point as well.

As for Holidays4u next summer, their flight will be done again by Onur Air, but of course on a Wednesday evening rather than Thursday morning as it was this summer.

And already mentioned Jersey Travel are back with their Saturday charter to Jersey (having used bmibaby the last 2 years) op by VLM.

mmeteesside

DTVAirport
25th Oct 2006, 08:08
It will be nice to see VLM at DTVA, but I would preferred to see a scheduled Jersey flight rather than a charter one, or if I was to be greedy, both!

HeathrowDictator
25th Oct 2006, 12:51
Anyone know the purpose of the A332 visitor that was scheduled for this afternoon? Air Caraibes reg F-OFDF: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1073996/L/

-HD-

mmeteesside
25th Oct 2006, 13:10
We believe it was on a troop flight. We have had the Omni DC10 in 2 extra times this week...

Omni DC10 Sunday went to (Frankfurt) Hahn
Omni DC10 Tuesday went to Hamburg
Air Caraibes A330 Wednesday to ??
then we should have Omni in tomorrow and Friday on the usual Gulf flight

mmeteesside

Northern Hero
25th Oct 2006, 14:18
HD

It was the first in another series of troop flights.Approx 5000 troops are being moved out to the Middle East from Catterick Barracks.
Other carriers to be involved are My Travel, Air Plus comet and Air Madrid as far as I know.
The Omni DC10's continue for another three weeks.

mmeteesside
25th Oct 2006, 14:40
Well thats great news, I'd guess MyTravel will use an A330 or B763, Air Plus Comet will probably be A310 or maybe a B742 if we're lucky, and Air Madrid should be an A310

mmeteesside

DTVAirport
25th Oct 2006, 16:50
According to the Air Southwest thread they are to announce MME-NQY next week.

blahblahblah
25th Oct 2006, 18:11
According to the Air Southwest thread they are to announce MME-NQY next week.

Had a look on the Air Southwest thread and couldn't see any mention of MME - NQY?

I did see talk of Nequay - Teeside but never heard of either of these two!!:E

mmeteesside
25th Oct 2006, 18:38
Well our poor little Thomsonfly 738 is finally back with us having been sick in Tenerife for a while, due back 0125 this morning it's just landed at 1935, G-CDZI is our based one. The Paphos flight luckily they had a spare one, G-CDZH is due back at 2000 from PFO so there will be 2 in together, not very often that happens here!

As for Stand 5RR, the unofficial stand, it's gonna be tight on there over the winter, as on Sunday afternoons they will be parking 3x J41's when the sunday Aberdeen arrives! The other 2 being the ABZ w/s and the BRU w/s (w/s - weekend stopper)

mmeteesside

mmeteesside
26th Oct 2006, 08:25
Well Winter 2007/2008 is on sale now from (at least) Thomson and Thomas Cook, however the only flights I can find are our two usuals, TOM to ALC and AEA to TFS :rolleyes:

Hopefully some more may get added as we get closer, however I wouldn't be surprised if no more appeared :ouch:

mmeteesside

MME4eva
26th Oct 2006, 10:20
Excellent news on the announcement of Wizzair! route-to compare the route situation to just after WW's announcement we have attracted 3 new operators and 6 new routes to DTV:ok:

Just returned from AGP in the week and both flights full to the brim (who was it that said WW DTV routes were 'not commercially viable'????)ok i know its half term but the majority of the pax were not families so heres hoping GSM make a real go where WW have failed!with regards to new routes i presume we will get TFS in summer 07 and i guess we will just wait and see if any others such as PRG are added in the coming months?As for NYC/JFK/EWR please please Hugh Lang and co dont be tempted with going with this one even if GSM are-i was hoping that DTV were now concentrating on sensible and sustainable routes from MME!

on that note some good advertising from DTV/GSM at check in advertising the new routes from GSM but listening to pax in the queue many had booked for christmas/new year when of course there will be a gap in us having no low cost routes to AGP and the like:(. Still no posters advertising FR's route to Girona though which is surprising:eek:

All in all felt thwe airport had 'grown up' since last time i flew from there as the new front makes it look like its now part of the 21st century and the departure lounge has had some work to it-only annoyance was that we were greeted at the carousels with 'welcome to Teesside Airport' message...if the airport wont change to using DTV who will??(btw AGP still referring to it as 'TEESIDE'!!)

also, heard a couple of the cabin crew talking in the galley and sounds like a lot are not going down to BHX and instead jumping ship to NCL and EZY-can't blame them waiting for GSM i guess!

uklad007
26th Oct 2006, 12:31
Well whilst your final experience of WW MME4Eva was a memorable one for my family it wasnt. Flying back to MME from Gatwick on Tuesday i checked the website to see all was on time to find it cancelled. We rung baby and were told due to technical problems the aircraft was non op and they should check in as normal at LGW for a coach to take them all the way up to MME departing at the flight departure time, despite the fact it had flown its other sectors that day. On further investigation with BAA and MME it turns out that Mon's flight was also cancelled. So i got them to Gatwick for about 20:30, checkin to close 15 mins later (M25 accident the cause of the dealy) only to find despite contacting the airline and BAA in advance of leaving for LGW the bus was due to leave at 20:30 not 21:20 but due to traffic in Crawley it was delayed by 10 mins, so we werent told it was being brought forward and they could have missed it, only 40 pax made it for the coach:rolleyes: - hence the reason for WW cancelling. The finally arrived at DTV at about 3am, airport closed (due to TOM delayed so it hadnt come in). All i can say is if this is how they can treat customers supporting them to the bitter end then its not so bad they are going.:ugh:

On much brighter note, well done for all in securing Wizz, and if rumours are correct about Air South West and NQY this is brilliant.:ok:
Its good to have some variety at the airport and new airlines willing to take a bit of a gamble. I wonder if any other Eastern Europe ops may come in like SkyEurope ( not sure that they have any ops into the NE), also may Flybe announce some routes, CDG/BFS/JER/LGW/SOU could all be good for them as i doubt these would be offered by GSM when it firms up its routes?

HeathrowDictator
26th Oct 2006, 13:59
UKLad - the WW cancellation was due to the aircraft going tech on the return from Jersey, causing it to divert into East Midlands so on this occasion it was due to a technical problem, no conspiracy theories! :-)

mmeteesside - no problem with 5RR, when we had the EZE Bristol service the same thing happened, although more often than just Sundays as it seemed Jetstream 31s went tech quite often so we regularly had a broken one on stand! :)

When the Sunday service is operating, chances are it will be parked on 5R or 5 to give it more room.

-HD-

DTVAirport
26th Oct 2006, 14:08
MME4eva

Tenerife South with GSM is now going to be year-round, and New York is a VERY good gamble providing it is operated with a Boeing 757. As for WW, it now seems the reason for their pull-out was due to a dispute with the airport over landing fees, and the main reason their flights are now regularly cancelled or heavily delayed is because of aircraft going tech - although not usually MME based aircraft - if an aircraft goes tech from one of their other bases, they simply 'steal' one from MME to avoid disrupting flights at a non-closing base. The airport has definitely matured since bmibaby's announcement, I should probably take a leaf out of their book!

Good to see the bmi LHR going 4x daily for the winter, but it's already confirmed it's back to 3x daily next summer. It would seem that the 4th rotation is simply a slot protector for the now discontinued London Heathrow - Mumbai route, so at the end of the day, bmi are just using us, which annoys me a bit.

Anyway, we should all take our hats off to MME, well done to them for this past few weeks of success! It just goes to show, good always comes out of bad. :D :ok:

uklad007
26th Oct 2006, 14:38
Heathrow Dictator - i stand corrected, there was no conspiracy theories on that but not on having brought forward the departure time without telling us, there aircraft are having a lot of problems with reliability of late across baby and mainline!

anyway moving on to pastures new..... just got a mail that Flyglobespan will operate TFS year round, as expected, and more routes to follow, a bit of extra good news for DTV today!:D

HeathrowDictator
26th Oct 2006, 15:06
uklad007 - I agree with you in that it wasn't very fair bringing forward the coach time especially since you spoke to the airline and BAA :confused:

That's fantastic news on GSM - looks like they will be an overall better prospect than WW.

On another note, I see now on the Eastern Airways site that Brussels service is now twice a day, I'm sure when it was first announced it was for a thrice daily service???

-HD-

DTVAirport
26th Oct 2006, 15:08
No, Brussels was always going to be twice a day.

HeathrowDictator
26th Oct 2006, 15:21
My mistake then. On another note looking at the Arrivals page on the DTV website it seems that the Gatwick WW has been cancelled.....again!!! Although nothing is showing next to the departure yet. It also seems the 1440 EZE to Aberdeen has been cancelled too.

Next time I'm at work I'll try digging to find out the cause of these latest cancellations.

-HD-

mmeteesside
26th Oct 2006, 15:24
I'd hazard a guess at the Eastern being canx because of the weather that they are supposedly due :confused:

The BRU was always planned to 2x daily, although I see from the flight numbers they've left a big gap :)

And HD, check your pm's

mmeteesside

Pembo330
26th Oct 2006, 15:30
Looks like the Tenerife flight is going to fit into the only remaining slot for the 1 based aircraft.

If you read my post on page 3, the based aircraft has two rotations a day with the excpetion of Tuesday which had 1. The Tenerife flight will operate on a Tuesday afternoon from MME, returning Tuesday night. The flight will run once a week.

Great news, but no sign of aircraft number 2 yet.

MME4eva
26th Oct 2006, 15:51
well UkLad all i can say is this is definately not new with WW-the way they treat their pax i wouldn't be surprised to see them disappear in a year or so if they continue this at their other 'more prestigious' bases-especially is a VS and BD merger happens:D sad to see in the inflight mag that there is absolutely no mention of MME anywhere anymore-charming after both DTV and the pax showed such loyalty!!

is there anyone in the know who has any indication of how both TFS and BRU numbers are going?i imagine the latter not as well as the former!!

CentreFix25
26th Oct 2006, 19:55
It was an Airtours 767.

MME4eva
27th Oct 2006, 18:10
Yes Centre Fix it was an Airtours 767 although I can't remember a Dom. Rep flight as a previous poster suggested? Certainly a Florida flight might work but I would have thought it would need to go via another airport such as GLA or MAN for it to be viable?

Still on the subject of possible GSM routes I note that they have announced EDI to Rome-perhaps this could be on the cards at MME especially if they have a look at FR's pax figures on the CIA route? I would definately like to see more cities offered by GSM if indeed they do offer more routes out of MME..PRG and CDG surely could be sustained?

Interesting to hear Air Southwest could start up a new route to NQY-i would have thought a weekly summer service on a DASH 8 would be viable as would perhaps a twice daily BRS rotation. If so we just need FlyBE to add JER (more popular than I imagined when I counted 117 comin off the WW service last Sat) and BHD and I reckon MME has the perfect balance between number of operators and destinations:ok:

As for WW unsurprised to see the CDG was 90 mins late in today-good riddance to bad rubbish as i presume this was yet another aircraft going tech-anyone would think they had a fleet of 707s or viscounts the amount this happens!:=

DTVAirport
29th Oct 2006, 10:43
I thought the winter timetables were supposed to begin today?

When I looked on the Durham Tees Valley arrivals/departures boards, it was obviously still the summer timetables.

mmeteesside
29th Oct 2006, 11:55
The bmi has just departed at 1245, its winter time and arrived at 0900, the summer time! Obviously it's a bit of a changeover day between summer/winter scheds. The bmi's from now on should be 0740/0815 1100/1245 arr/dep on mornings. They are also showing the wrong flight number for the Eastern, should be the usual 587 instead of the (summer) old 759. The TOM's will continue until 31st October, at least. Also note WW are down to 1 a/c now just doing ALC/AGP/PMI's.

mmeteesside

DTVAirport
1st Nov 2006, 07:25
Due in today is a MyTravel Airways Airbus A330-243, a Scot Airways Dornier 328 and a Monarch Airlines Boeing 767-300ER, presumably all military flights except the Scot Airways which is probably related to football.

Why are bmi late in starting the winter schedules? They're still only 3x daily but those three rotations have moved to the new times, and the fourth rotation is still showing on flybmi.com timetables?

Regards,

uklad007
1st Nov 2006, 11:21
So no news from Air Southwest in its release of Summer 07 schedules about an MME-NQY route - i would have thought they would jump at the chance despite flying into LBA and they have even reduced capacity on that route meaning even less seats to NQY from the NE/Yorks.

Were load factors on baby to NQY good, am guessing ASW could fill a 50 seater on this easily but it looks like they arent expanding at all next year in terms of new aircraft or new routes. Does anyone think/know if anyone else could step in to this route? - Am guessing there is only a slim chance now as few airlines fly from NQY and/or are regional uk airlines.

Also anyone know if Ryanair/Aer Arran or anyone may introduce shannon/cork/galway in ireland - presume Knock is a no go at all following Baby's attempt on the route.

mmeteesside
1st Nov 2006, 19:36
Looks like Flightline won't be returning (and I'm not surprised given their timekeeping for the first few months this summer :ouch: ) on MYT's Reus flight for next summer 2007. According the MYT website the contract has gone to bmi instead, presumably using the LBA based a/c next summer?

mmeteesside

Rallye EI-BFP
1st Nov 2006, 22:08
All going well Ryanair should announce a Shannon route......Dont know about Aer Arann though. However they recently started services to CRK and GWY from LBA so......Wudnt entirely rule it out

DTVAirport
2nd Nov 2006, 07:19
How come the Ryanair - Barcelona Girona flight is beginning today when on the press release it says "commencing 13th February 2007"? Check the airport arrival boards - it's due in at 12:40.

EDIT: It's now been removed, I wonder what that was all about?

uklad007
2nd Nov 2006, 16:01
An interesting day for Baby passengers today at MME, am assuming long delays are because the 1 aircraft left is operating on routes that were done by the two aircraft and one aircraft cant be in two places at once, so long delays for anyone not on the first flight of the day :ugh:

Also DTV, i also saw it on the website but it said Gerona not Girona and the two are different places, i assumed it was a one off charter for some reason but it seems to have gone.

dwlpl
2nd Nov 2006, 17:09
Gerona not Girona and the two are different places

They are the same place.

DTVAirport
2nd Nov 2006, 17:10
No, Girona and Gerona are definitely the same airport, but some spell it with an 'i' and some spell it with the 'e'. Personally, when I refer to it as a scheduled destination I spell it with the 'i', but when I refer to it as a charter destination I use the 'e', mainly because this is what the airlines seem to do.

nema/robin hood
2nd Nov 2006, 17:14
it said Gerona not Girona and the two are different places

uklad007

No - They ARE the same place. The different spellings are (I think) written in Spanish and Catalan ???? This is the same with Majorca/Mallorca, Menorca/Minorca etc etc..

Think you may be getting confused with Genova (Italy)

TTFN

uklad007
2nd Nov 2006, 17:36
nema / dtv / dwlpl i get the message! :O

Ive obviously got my Spanish and my Italian mixed up, as am unlikely to fly to either then its just as well i dont know where it is. - So am guessing it was just DTV playing with their arrivals and departures board then to see how it will look?

skyman771
3rd Nov 2006, 07:41
Are we now to accept that GSM are more likely to try and get around the non anouncement of a second based aircraft at DTV by using the 'RYR' interpretation of locality by claiming it is actually to be based 'DTV North' i.e. GLA :E

Devonair
3rd Nov 2006, 10:18
Girona is Catalan and Gerona is Castillian Spanish... I tend to prefer Girona as it is in Catalonia and Catalan is the official language (alongside Castillian Spanish) of the region. Girona province itself is predominently Catalan speaking. Like in Vitoria/Gasteiz the former being Castillian Spanish and the later being Basque or Euskerra. Majorca is the English word for Mallorca. The Spanish have to be very sensitive to their multilingual nations, regions and provinces.

webby1919
3rd Nov 2006, 15:26
Looks like the next couple of routes from GSM from MME will be:

IBZ & NCE. Not in timetables yet.

skyman771
3rd Nov 2006, 15:28
Girona is Catalan and Gerona is Castillian Spanish... I tend to prefer Girona as it is in Catalonia and Catalan is the official language (alongside Castillian Spanish) of the region. Girona province itself is predominently Catalan speaking. Like in Vitoria/Gasteiz the former being Castillian Spanish and the later being Basque or Euskerra. Majorca is the English word for Mallorca. The Spanish have to be very sensitive to their multilingual nations, regions and provinces.
Really interesting but what has this to do with anything? Suggest you search for the Geography forum if this is to be the extent of the content of your postings............:bored: :bored:

Devonair
3rd Nov 2006, 16:49
Skyman ... I was simply clarifying a question someone raised earlier... I'm very sorry you don't find the content relevant.

DTVAirport
3rd Nov 2006, 17:02
Looks like the next couple of routes from GSM from MME will be:
IBZ & NCE. Not in timetables yet.What's your source?

SWBKCB
7th Nov 2006, 07:19
From todays (7/11) Newcastle Journal -

"Low cost airline flyglobespan today (TUES) announces five more destinations from Durham Tees Valley Airport. From the end of June 2007, the airline will base a second aircraft there and fly to Nice, Menorca, Ibiza, Jersey and the Croatian city Pula. And flights to Alicante, Palma and Malaga, three of five routes already available at the airport, will increase in frequency"

Pula - who saw that one?!?

DTVAirport
7th Nov 2006, 07:26
PULA!? Dead in the water! Got to be? Also I didn't think Jersey fitted the GSM business model? Although it should still do well. Will this affect the VLM charter to Jersey? The Tenerife flight begins today as well (07-11-06) :ok:

If GSM are going to announce routes like Pula then all they're doing is experimenting, just like bmibaby did...

Other than that some more sensible routes from GSM. :D

Pembo330
7th Nov 2006, 07:34
Frequencies on the new routes are as follows:-

Nice (Wed/Sat)
Menorca (Sat)
Ibiza (Fri, Mon)
Jersey (Sat)
Pula (Thu)

So, Pula and Jersey are only once a week anyway, not a four times a week job like WW would have done.

Some great new routes - well impressed!

mmeteesside
7th Nov 2006, 07:36
The Tenerife starts today, in the typical GSM way at the moment running from GLA-MME-TFS-MME-GLA dep from here 0915 and getting back here 1900.

I like Pula, Jersey and I think Ibiza is a good one as people may just go for the weekend! Mahon and Nice are also good!
I see the 2nd based aircraft is coming towards the end of June, ready for the peak summer season! Well done Flyg! These routes should do well!

mmeteesside

GBALU53
7th Nov 2006, 07:55
Well done to flyglobespan and Durham Teesvalley at least someone has confidence in the market to the North East of England.

I see the Jersey route and some others are only once a week but it is eight months away before they start so who knows what will happen between now and then things can grow.

The maine problem from what i can make out is the second based aircraft not arriving until June which does seem a bit late in the year but as they say better late then never.:ok: :ok:

holgate
7th Nov 2006, 07:56
Flippin Heck!!!....just been looking at the the thread after a month in aussie,...fantastic news for everyone involved,...wizz-air,globespan and bmi add a fourth heathrow,...lets just hope the airport can grow and attract more operaters and routes.....has the baby been tucked up in bed fellas?,and what sort of aircraft will globespan be using,600/700 or 800?
Up the Boro..,(what a nightmare were having!)
Holgate:ok:

DTVAirport
7th Nov 2006, 08:04
Rumour has it that GSM will use Boeing 737-700's, probably wingletted ones. They don't actually have this type in their fleet at the moment but have two on order, one to be delivered in February 2007, the other in Spring 2007. It is currently unclear whether these are brand new or second hand, if second hand, they will most likely come from easyJet who are to begin getting rid of theirs soon.

Regards,

mmeteesside
7th Nov 2006, 08:05
The last baby left on Sunday evening after arriving from ALC, the crew thanking the tower on behalf of everyone for looking after them and thanking them for all the fun times they've had while they were here. :)

Globespan are using -800W on the Tenerife, G-SAAW was the first one today (just arrived).

As far as I know the based aircraft may be a -600 and a -700?

EDIT: Looks as though once the second based aircraft arrives, the ALC and PMI go daily with AGP going to 5x weekly.

mmeteesside

DTVAirport
7th Nov 2006, 08:25
That was nice of the bmibaby crew! Although I am glad to see the back of them, I did find it a little sad to see them go :(

Jet_stream
7th Nov 2006, 11:16
Most like to be 1 x 600 and 1 x 700 at MME the second 700 is needed at ABZ for Summer 2007. These a/c should be brand new. (700's).

Ametyst
7th Nov 2006, 11:24
Fly Globespan flew very successfully from Edinburgh and Glasgow to Pula last summer. Pula is a good choice, and one the Baby would never have done as they lack imagination (look at the latest Birmingham expansion). The British are investing heavily in the holiday home property boom in Croatia at the moment. You can always tell when a market is going to grow, when Ryanair start flying there as they will be from Stansted.

DTVAirport
7th Nov 2006, 11:48
Ok, after some brief research and a little thought, I now realise that Pula is a very good choice, along with the rest. I've probably sounded rather negative about todays announcement, but I didn't mean to be, I am over the moon!

I'm just updating Wikipedia's DTVA page...

fl dutchman
7th Nov 2006, 12:00
This will be very popular. There is a large demand for this route from the North East, would not be surprised if it sold out quickly and more flights added. In fact all the routes announced will be busy, they cant fail as there is little or no competition from other airlines flying from DTV.

Will all the routes announced fully utilize 2 aircraft or is there more to come

DTVAirport
7th Nov 2006, 12:27
Well, I haven't worked it out exactly, but an educated guess - 10 routes per week using two aircraft - answer? Yes.

If that sounded sarcastic I didn't mean it in such a way.

Pembo330
7th Nov 2006, 13:50
The capacity you refer to is being eaten up by increased frequencies to AGP, PMI and ALC. See previous posts.

So, I think this may be it for now.

But great news!!

DTVAirport
7th Nov 2006, 13:54
I've just seen the front cover of todays Northern Echo, and this GSM news is plastered all over the front, meaning the Northern Echo must have known about this yesterday, and if that's the case, why was it not announced yesterday? Surely if the Nothern Echo new about it so did the airport?

dwlpl
7th Nov 2006, 14:27
This will be very popular. There is a large demand for this route from the North East, would not be surprised if it sold out quickly and more flights added. In fact all the routes announced will be busy, they cant fail as there is little or no competition from other airlines flying from DTV.
Will all the routes announced fully utilize 2 aircraft or is there more to come

Lo-cost airlines will fly 3 or 4 returns per day/per aircraft to European destinations from 'up north', so with two aircraft based*, Durham will be looking at something between 42 and 56 departures per week.

* presuming that are totally based and not doing 'W' routings.

J-Guy
7th Nov 2006, 15:51
Will this affect the VLM charter to Jersey?

I would imagine that both flights will operate. The VLM charter is supposed to begin in the middle of May whereas Globespan do not begin until near on the start of July.

The same happened in 2004 when bmibaby began flights to the island, but the Channel Islands Travel Service charter was still operated by Air Southwest. Summers 05/06 were operated by bmibaby alone.

Still early yet though, things can change quickly.

mmeteesside
7th Nov 2006, 16:35
Just done a quick schedule for the 2 based aircraft, and found that the 2nd aircraft has 3 empty gaps (Mon, Fri, Sat mornings) however 2 flights don't fit in at the time shown on GSM's website. Therefore once these flights are juggled around there should be 1 gap.

mmeteesside

skyman771
7th Nov 2006, 17:03
Globespan are using -800W on the Tenerife, G-SAAW was the first one today (just arrived).
mmeteesside
Gets about this machine, was used on last Friday's MAN - YYZ via Iceland as a backup. Pity the poor punters who had to endure that nightmare :(

MME4eva
7th Nov 2006, 17:17
Excellent news for MME!Although theres Pula and Nice to shock a few I'm really impressed with how DTV and GSM have obviously studied WW's routes and load factors and seen what works (JER being surprisingly popular even in winter months)and what is wanted and liked by the people of Tees Valley e.g IBZ :D

Don't know much about Pula and it's appeal-is it a city break or bucket and spade detination? although its a gamble if its cheap place to holiday it'l prove popular along the lines of Bourgas.

As for NCE, its been tried before by WW and I presume it wasn't THAT popular but you never know particularly with LS and EZY at LBA and NCL reducing frequency?

P.S anyone at the airport know how BRU is going?

Jamesair
7th Nov 2006, 20:33
PULA used to be a very popular destination in the days of Yugotours. (before the baltic upheavals) as did Split and Dubrovnik.

Pembo330
8th Nov 2006, 09:14
Does anyone know what is happening with the LHR service.

Advertising seems to say 4 flights a day, but are they still only running 3?

uklad007
8th Nov 2006, 10:34
Well done flyglobespan on trying Nice and Pula, i think they will be good for the airport and good choice for the consumer.

I am assuming NQY and CDG are dead in the water now and no-one is going to come in and take on the routes.

I still think their is an opportunity for Flybe to base an aircraft and do CDG (did this have good load factors on the daily baby route?) and a few others - a winter Geneva would have been good also. Still i guess they have enough to deal with at the mo!

s_insania
8th Nov 2006, 16:48
They are running 4 now Pembo ;) ! What happened with the supposed Air Southwest ex NQY?
And anyone heard anything about any poss Irish routes? Maybe Manx2 to the IOM?

DTVAirport
9th Nov 2006, 07:23
Ryanair to Gerona showing again today on Ceefax page 451. Presumably it's another mistake as the route isn't due to launch until February, but in a way I suppose it's free advertising :}

Pembo330
9th Nov 2006, 11:10
You say they are running 4, but DTV's arrivals/departures website only seems to show 3, and Ceefax 451 only shows 3.

Is it just a case of these areas not been updated yet.

Can someone put the timings/flight numbers on here please for the flights and confirm when they started?

DTVAirport
9th Nov 2006, 11:22
Just got an e-mail from the airport, the fourth rotation begins from 13th, which I believe is this Monday.

Regards.

s_insania
9th Nov 2006, 15:51
Aaaah right, cheers Chris, sorry Pembo thought it had already started but its just the EMB's have gone on a morning replaced with the Airbus's

Cheers,
Sam

MME4eva
9th Nov 2006, 17:33
UKLad I would have thought these two routes are viable and popular but perhaps only seasonal for NQY and a smaller jet for CDG but who could do these?

-NQY: Unless GSM 'do a Jersey' and offer this on a weekly basis as a first for their route network or it would have to be Air Southwest (routes for next year alreayd released and as u said no development with fleet or routes)

-CDG: Would really only be GSM again or as a long shot flyBE as a W rotation perhaps as an add on to their EXT or NWI flights? Real shame that DTV have-for the time-lost this route following the Gill Air/Air France venture and WW's go at the route (which I presume was quite popular given they hung on to it for more than one season?)

-GVA: Unlikely as WW tried and dumped it. Would definately like to see a winter ski charter but guess only time will tell!!

On the whole really hallp with the choice of routes at ex MME for this winter/next summer-a good broad choice of operators (not eggs in all one basket!) and destinations (i.e. bucket and spade and cheap city breaks/stag do's) as I'm afraid ON THE WHOLE if theres not sun or beer at the end of the route it just won't prove popular...contoversial I know but history proves it!

DTVAirport
16th Nov 2006, 12:27
Can anyone provide me with a list of all failed routes in the past few years, all I can think of at the moment are Belfast Intl, Bristol, Geneva, Knock, Prague and Rome Ciampino. It doesn't matter if they are scheduled, charter or cargo, I just need a list of all failed routes.

DTVAirport
21st Nov 2006, 19:07
Rumours are rife that BA are about to axe the NCL-LGW route, therefore would it not be sensible for the DTVA management to bust a gut to get another carrier to fly the MME-LGW route? Even though EZY or LS will probably take the route over at NCL, it's probably still a good idea for MME to try and get in there first, even though it would need to be a turboprop operator to avoid breaching the 'only bmi are allowed to fly jet equipment into London from Durham Tees Valley' agreement.

Also I would like to announce a new Yahoo! Group dedicated exclusively to Durham Tees Valley Airport, and to avoid breaking PPRuNe no advertising rule, I will provide the link without dots and slashes, therefore you will have to work out for yourselves where they go: httpgroupsyahoocomgroupdurhamteesvalleyairport

Regards,

SWBKCB
21st Nov 2006, 19:37
Rumours are rife that BA are about to axe the NCL-LGW route,,
BA have announced that they are 'suspending' LGW-NCL.
A spokesman for NIA is quoted in this mornings Newcastle Journal that they expect to announce a replacement operator within a week

s_insania
22nd Nov 2006, 18:23
Jet2 have snapped the route up straight away!
3 daily flights from £9.99 from 25th March 2007, using Boeing 737-300 equipment, a perfect connection for business and leisure market

DTVAirport
23rd Nov 2006, 07:27
That's the end of that then.

Does anybody remember a day at Durham Tees Valley, probably almost a
decade ago, when at least four British Midland Fokker 100s (might have
been one or two 70s, but pretty sure all 100s), probably five actually,
were all on the stands at the same time?

If anyone has got any photos I'd love to see em.

Bartrams
1st Dec 2006, 16:25
Flying out early next week from DTV and noticed today that the airport has been closed for various intervals. Does anyone know the reasons why and is it likely to happen again??? I have been told that this is not the first time in recent weeks?? Any advice appreciated!

onion
1st Dec 2006, 20:20
The reason for the closure of the airport is due to lack of ATC staff. There being not enough to cover breaks so hence the short periods during the day when the airport closes. Really Peel needs to rectify this problem before spending any more money on the airport.

mmeteesside
1st Dec 2006, 20:41
Yes the airport today was shut 1600-1630 1830-1900 2100-2130 as Onion says, due to ATC staff sickness.

After being delayed by the first closure, the Ryanair was delayed even further by not being able to get the tug to work properly (apparently) until it finally pushed back at 1740. Just when they thought they had got over all of their problems, on the taxy out they then had a 'medical emergency' and declared a PanPanPan with which they subsequently returned to the stand! Hope the poor pax was ok! Don't know what time it finally left, I guess somewhere around 1815 tho :confused: (std was 1630!)

mmeteesside

s_insania
1st Dec 2006, 20:50
The lack of ATC Staff was because of sickness, there is a nasty bug going round the North East at the moment, alot of people have had it at school etc

In other news:-
Only 5 people on the Midland 345 to Heathrow last night :eek:, but i suppose it is ten o'clock at night
Today, the Ryanair was delayed coming in because the airport was shut for 30 minutes and then going out because they couldn't find a tug that worked, then when it eventually got on to the runway it declared a medical emergency but it couldn't get hold of the tower! It then declared a PAN PAN PAN PAN i think he said it about 4 or 5 times lol and a immediate return to stand, and an ambulance to stand immediately!
Fire 1 came across and sorted it out and took care of the passenger and the ambulance wasn't needed after all.
It was scheduled into Dublin at 1735 but didn't arrive until 1911

So, a very interesting 2 days at the airport :ok: lol

Cheers,
Sam

onion
1st Dec 2006, 21:15
The underlying problem though is that the ATC unit is understaffed at MME.

DTVAirport
2nd Dec 2006, 09:17
Well that is bl**dy ridiculous :mad:

skyman771
2nd Dec 2006, 10:42
Ridiculous it may be, but presumably is the result of low forecasts in short / medium term revenue forcing cuts down to the 'bare bone'. The downside of such a risky policy is in lack of cover in critical areas when unforseen absence occours. DTV's forecast pax no.'s for this winter are presumably totally miserable following the withdrawal of BMI Baby, whilst awaiting the arival of GSM based aircraft in 07.
Peel it would seem have 'taken a view', which does not appear to involve subsidising short term losses, presumably as they are finding it difficult to foresee longer term gains in their current forecasts.:uhoh:

Toadpool
2nd Dec 2006, 13:12
This is not a short/medium term problem. It has been building up over the last five years at least.:ugh:

skyman771
2nd Dec 2006, 15:24
Toadpool

Very well, but then what do you consider to be the 'problem?', to me it's the lack of growth / under achievment coupled with diabolical marketing & some hysterical press coverage. I'm not here to suggest the reasons for all of this but any issues with ATC certainly did not cause the problem. As with the 'Chicken & the Egg' what came first the problems with ATC or MME/DTV's performance ?:rolleyes:

Toadpool
2nd Dec 2006, 16:53
Skyman,

I'm not in a position, nor am I qualified to answer your questions.

All I do know is that a shortage of staff in ATC at DTVA has been predicted for some time. There seems to have been little action to prevent it.

buzzerfish
2nd Dec 2006, 19:49
You seem to have an inside line on this thread. The grapevine has it that the wages are a little bit under par so recruitment is proving difficult. Can you confirm?:)

Toadpool
2nd Dec 2006, 21:05
Buzzerfish,

Check your PMs

DB5
5th Dec 2006, 08:01
For anyone interested, there is now a comprehensive document (76 pages) that apparently recommends approval of DTVA’s proposed terminal and site expansion plans available on Stockton Borough Council’s website.
Hopefully this will take you to the relevant page:-

http://www.egenda.stockton.gov.uk/aksstockton/users/public/admin/kab14.pl?operation=SUBMIT&meet=13&cmte=PLN&grpid=public&arc=71

Scroll down this page until you reach the DTVA planning application which has a link to a document entitled ‘Final Joint Report’. The Planning Committee are due to meet tomorrow, Wednesday 6th December, and will hopefully ratify the recommendations.
From a quick skim through, all the expansion proposals for the terminal, additional stands, parallel taxiway, freight village, etc. are being put to Councillors to approve after two years of waiting. As you might expect, there are numerous conditions to be complied with, one being a quota system of points allocated in order to restrict the number of flights allowed to operate between 23.00 and 07.00 because of noise implications. Interesting to note the possible uses envisaged for one area of the new development, including aircraft painting, engine maintenance, aircraft interior work, etc. but I’m not going to hold my breath awaiting an announcement of who, if anyone, is likely to take these facilities up, or when.
However, I’m sure we can expect some sort of local media spin and airport press release frenzy either Wednesday evening or Thursday morning once the Planning Committee have made their decision known publicly.

skyman771
5th Dec 2006, 12:28
A point of note on the planning application it is stated : 'Based on current projections the new terminal and associated aviation development will be required in 2007 when the present terminal reaches its capacity, based on current rates of growth.' ... interesting !, but are short term growth projections achievable?, & also a lot of talk about 3 Million capacity & development covering what will effectively be an eight year period to 2015. Sounds good!? :confused:

DTVAirport
5th Dec 2006, 13:14
I'm just glad things could get moving after all this time.

DTVAirport
7th Dec 2006, 14:15
Stockton have approved the plans, looks like Darlington will do the same, see article on Northern Echo website.

What's interesting about the article is it says the airport bosses are in negotiations with Network Rail to make Dinsdale Station the main airport rail link, isn't Dinsdale Station in Middleton St George or Middleton One Row? I think I saw it on my way to the airport just this morning, if this is the case, it's a bit of an insult when the airport has its own station!

Also, it mentions getting a 'permanent bus routes', and as much as I would like to see more bus routes, what is the Sky Express and the Arriva services 20 and 74???

Regards.

carbheathot
8th Dec 2006, 08:23
:hmm:I think we will have to wait a while yet to see if the planning consent turns into bricks and mortar development. Some of us are old enough to recall the Gazette headlines trumpeting 11000 new jobs when Moorfield Semley submitted a similar planning application for an airport related development on the Southside, and of course the skeleton of the ill fated hotel scheme is still rusting away by the side of the defunct railway halt. My guess is that the new owners are pinning their hopes for a quick return on the proposed office business park at Middleton St George to release some real money for future investment. The problem with good old Teesside is that it has suffered far too much from hype and spin in recent years, a glance at the live departures /arrivals board on the airports website tells the real story (yes I know its winter and Globespan have yet to commence serious operations)
And you can't expect Peel Holdings to pay for ATCOs when there ain't any aeroplanes!

onion
8th Dec 2006, 21:56
Carbheathot agree with most of what you say but you are wrong about the ATCO situation. MME is seriously understaffed in this department, they are actually below the level of the CAA guidelines. The problem is that incomparison to other units that have a similar work load, which is actually higher than many think due to the amount of traffic in the Vale of York, the staff are paid upto £15,000 less than their colleagues at other units. Yes the problem was there before Peel took over but Peel have not acted to rectify this situation. Next time you get the chance just compare the three airports in Peels portfolio for comparison wages.

Binder
9th Dec 2006, 16:29
Thirty years ago people were having the same discussion about the future of Tees-side Airport. The conclusion being that despite best efforts the airport was constrained by too many stakeholders with the County boundary running through the airport.

As long as there are hidden faces with hidden agendas voting on someone elses business it will be the same in thirty years time!

Great Airport, Great People, and Great part of the World.

I learnt to fly there and it's a shame it hasn't really moved on.

Binder

pug
12th Dec 2006, 16:28
Anyone know why DTVA is in the Air Scotland booking engine? HUY is also, but you cant bring up a list of destinations you just get redirected? Expected anouncement?

mmeteesside
13th Dec 2006, 08:50
Well Darlington Council yesterday approved the plans for the airport, which means that both councils have approved the plans. Don't know when building work is due to start but I would imagine they'll want something finished for the summer.

mmeteesside
17th Dec 2006, 20:36
Passenger Numbers for November 2006

Awful month in November, overall passengers was 34450, down 36.8%, understandable with Baby pulling out I guess.

All of the other routes took a dive too :(

ABZ 3273 61.3%
AMS 9494 65.9%
BRU 597 23.4%
DUB 5152 64.9%
LHR 9278 35% :ugh: (based on fully A319's, 3x daily up til 12th (2 on a Sat) then from 13th 4x daily (2 on Sat) til the end of the month)
TFS 325 43% (I've based this on just 189 seats each week for MME - half a 738 both ways as it's shared with GLA)

The TFS and BRU didn't do too badly for their first months, but LHR is shocking! Just got to hope they don't pull it completely.

mmeteesside

chrism20
17th Dec 2006, 20:52
mmeteesside

I understand that the additional LHR was just to fill a slot, surely it would have been better sending it elsewhere - i.e. INV where they have reduced the service or were they hoping all the ex Baby LGW customers would just automatically shift over to LHR

However the scary part from the CAA figs is LHR is down 3964 journeys to 9278 from 13242 last year - with an extra service!

And to add to the headache LGW had 3263 journeys last year.

A total drop of 7227 to London alone.

Bol Zup
18th Dec 2006, 12:24
The underlying problem though is that the ATC unit is understaffed at MME.
This is over simplistic.
ATC staffing has been beset by problems outwith simply not having enough staff on the books;
1. Of three controllers which were recruited over the last three years 2 left before validation, 1 failed to validate.
2. For approximately the last 4 years there has been at least 1 member of staff off on maternity leave at any one time.
3. Aerodrome rated controllers have been put through radar courses necessitating 3 months non-operational employment at a time.
4. 1 controller on longish term sick.
5. Training: Due to a lack of OJTI's the backlog of non-valid radar controllers and not receiving training was up to 5 at one point. Plus, due to the above reasons, were required to fill the aerodrome seat rather than receiving radar training.
The employer is not without fault, however to imply it is simply a lack of staff is disingenious.

HeathrowDictator
18th Dec 2006, 13:27
I would be interested to find where you got your information from, but I would like to clarify some of it:

I was one of those 3 controllers taken on in the last 3 years (2 years ago), and I validated my tower rating in 4 months. I am starting to cross train onto Radar now, the delay has been a lack of OJTIs as mentioned.

I can only comment for the last two years, where I have known of 2 other recruited controllers - 1 is still under training, the other left before validation.

The controller on "longish term sick" has returned to work and is now once again valid.

The "backlog" while I have been at the unit has never been greater than 3 controllers awaiting training - not sure if it has ever been as bad as five - but there again like I say I can only comment on the last 2-2.5 years.

One problem of attracting new controllers is indeed the money situation. Recently Liverpool advertised for ATCOs with wages upto £55600pa. DTVA top end is around £47000pa. The other issue I would guess is a lack of traffic - why would an ATCO move from a busier unit to a quieter one (on paper-not taking into account the amount of VFR transits Radar works in the summer months), unless they really wanted to be in the area; especially if that move also involved a pay-cut?

I can also confirm a previous post in which the airport had to close for ATCO breaks due to sickness. Most of the time we are able to cover it by coming in on overtime shifts, but a lot of that time we break SCRATCOH and it is something that obviously isn't a long term solution.

Big shame about the Heathrow numbers - especially with lower fares on the route (I believe they're still operating it as a low-cost service, although I may be mistaken?).

And of course today, with RVRs of less than 300m on both ends for most of the morning, nothing has landed - Newcastle getting the majority of diverted traffic :(

-HD-

*The views expressed in this post represent those of the author, and not those of DTV airport*

Bol Zup
18th Dec 2006, 13:52
HD- maybe my timescale is a bit out, of the 3 controllers I was talking about none are presently at EGNV. Must have been before your time.

shamrock7seal
18th Dec 2006, 16:01
can someone tell me how long bmi can go on losing pax on london heathrow?

latest CAA stats shows average load factor for Nov was just 49%

uklad007
19th Dec 2006, 14:20
I think the Pax loss on LHR is a worry and the late night slot protector route into LHR wont add too many pax to this but, and by all means correct me if am wrong, isnt the current low cost LHR model in place to make profits rather than simply build up pax - isnt BMI pax nos for mainline down as a whole for all GB/Euro Routes out of LHR but profits are up?, although it would be interesting to know what their new breakeven is (in terms of pax) on this route (MME-LHR) - am guessing 49% is too light on nos. Despite all this I cant see the axeman a cometh for BMI at MME.

As well as the loss of pax at DTV has DTV lost its webmaster - bmibaby still has a link on the website and wizzair isnt listed under the contacts and some of the new routes arent showing on the map nor in their drop down route menu on timetables/destinations?

MME4eva
19th Dec 2006, 16:38
UkLad007 I agree with your very reasoned argument about the bmi LHR operation and, with regards to this, their MME performance. Forgive me everyone if I'm being over simplistic but is MME really an Airbus A319 (or indeed A320) type destination? In the days of Fokker 70/100 and 737-500s you would see load factors very healthy and hasn't the poor load factors been a consequence simply of an aircraft change in the bmi fleet?

Now actual passenger numbers is another thing all together and all I have to say to this is that we always lived in the shadows of NCL and even LBA with our figures for LHR but surely a 4th rotation (albeit a slot protector) is diluting demand and spreading the numbers of pax over too many flights?

As for the website this is poor on behalf of DTV as in a cut throat environment as aviation up to date info is vital and i honestly believe info on the website could be the difference between a potential passenger from let's say the Humber/Yorks region choosing between EMA and MME on some routes not offered at DSA or LBA (we'll forget about HUY to the tumbleweed spotters:) )

DTVAirport
19th Dec 2006, 20:09
No. Since bmi changed their business model, the A319 and even the A320 has often showed healthy load factors, what is affecting the route is the bmibaby departure, 90%, probably more, of all people I have spoken to don't realise that bmi and bmibaby are two different airlines and people have automatically assumed that the London Heathrow route has gone along with all the others.

This is why load factors have taken a nose dive. I would have thought that bmi taking over bmibaby's advertisment which appears prior to the ITV Weather would have helped, but obviously not. What they really need to do is plaster a load of advertisments on buses like GSM, LS and T3 do.

ncleflights
19th Dec 2006, 20:48
Passenger Numbers for November 2006

Awful month in November, overall passengers was 34450, down 36.8%, understandable with Baby pulling out I guess.

All of the other routes took a dive too :(

ABZ 3273 61.3%
AMS 9494 65.9%
BRU 597 23.4%
DUB 5152 64.9%
LHR 9278 35% :ugh: (based on fully A319's, 3x daily up til 12th (2 on a Sat) then from 13th 4x daily (2 on Sat) til the end of the month)
TFS 325 43% (I've based this on just 189 seats each week for MME - half a 738 both ways as it's shared with GLA)

The TFS and BRU didn't do too badly for their first months, but LHR is shocking! Just got to hope they don't pull it completely.

mmeteesside

I think DTVA need to worry not only about LHR but also BRU. If these load factors are correct that route is going to get the chop. Eastern had bigger load factors than that from ncle to inv and that route was dropped as the factors were not good enough, I can't imagine them hanging onto a route with less than a 24% load factor.

Also surprised that globespan are still having a base at DTVA if they are only achieving 43% loads on TFS, thats a miserable load factor.

HeathrowDictator
19th Dec 2006, 21:15
I can't imagine them hanging onto a route with less than a 24% load factor.

Also surprised that globespan are still having a base at DTVA if they are only achieving 43% loads on TFS, thats a miserable load factor.

NCLEFlights, two things:

1. The Brussels route is still very new - and does it not have some funding from elsewhere? I could be wrong with that but I am certain that OneNorthEast helped set the route up - possibly with a financial benefit to the airline?

2. If you see mmeteesside's post, he said he assumed 189 seats each way due to it being a shared aircraft and that was the very first rotation of the service. If I remember rightly the third week of operation there were only 40-50 pax travelling onward back to GLA therefore if it is still running at the same pax levels on the route, then a higher proportion of that will be MME pax.

Both of these "miserable" load factors as you put it are looking at very new routes - something everyone in the business knows need time to settle down and for the public to take to. I myself tried booking the MME-TFS flight for next summer and couldn't get the dates I wanted at first because (I presume), the flight was full. I know TFS is a winter destination, however I find it very unbelievable that in the naturally weaker winter months you will be getting more than a 70% load - so the fact it was in it's first week I wouldn't be suprised if 43% is accurate.

I still think the routes that GSM have announced from the airport are very sensible ones, and that they are routes which will be highly popular with the Northeast public.

As always - if I have my facts wrong, please feel free to correct me.

-HD-

ncleflights
20th Dec 2006, 01:14
NCLEFlights, two things:

1. The Brussels route is still very new - and does it not have some funding from elsewhere? I could be wrong with that but I am certain that OneNorthEast helped set the route up - possibly with a financial benefit to the airline?

As always - if I have my facts wrong, please feel free to correct me.

-HD-

Yes the Brussels route does have route development money thrown at it but in my example of Newcastle - Inveness it also had route development money from the Scottish Executive and was achieving higher load factors when Eastern pulled the plug. If the load factors are correct then even with the route development money Eastern are loosing money, the question you need to ask yourself is can a small airline afford to wait for the route to be grow - NO!!.

With regard to GSM again if the load factors are correct this is bad news for DTVA, again at Newcastle which currently have two low cost operators flying to TFS Jet2 and Thomsonfly both twice weekly, not once, and achieving much higher load factors.

In general though if the load factors given for all airlines are correct then DTVA is in real trouble as all loads are down some quite dramatically at nearby NCL and LBA both in the catchment area the opposite is happenning and passenger figures continue to grow. Surely it can't be long before the old argument raises its head about do we need a NE airport in between Leeds and Newcastle especially if indeed the downward trend in load factors is correct.

Also the reason you could not book the summer to TFS in GSM only have the route on sale to the end of March from DTVA

10 DME ARC
20th Dec 2006, 08:32
HD " I myself tried booking the MME-TFS flight for next summer and couldn't get the dates I wanted at first because (I presume), the flight was full."

Like Ncle said the TFS is only on sale until the 27th March!?!?:confused:

DTVAirport
20th Dec 2006, 09:01
GSM said that they were continuing Tenerife into the summer base operation, which means it should be bookable.

Part of the reason for Eastern Airways' success is if a route is not performing to expectations they won't keep it any longer than they have to, and they definitely won't wait for the route to 'settle in'. They've chopped routes a thousand times because of this so I'd say the BRU route is in grave danger. I've heard on numerous occasions that Eastern's fares aren't cheap either, which is probably half the reason the route has got poor loads.

Regards.

10 DME ARC
20th Dec 2006, 09:41
DTV Try it your self! At the moment it is not available after 27th March, no doubt some time in the future it will become bookable however HD could not have tried any dates in the summer on GSM web site!

HeathrowDictator
20th Dec 2006, 13:29
10DME and NCLEFlights:

Yes, I see now that it only goes to the end of March - however a few weeks ago when I was looking there were dates for the Summer available. DTVAirport is right - if they are going to fly it in the Summer then it should be bookable. I wonder why it has now been reduced to winter only again?

And with regards to EZE - I wasn't aware that NCL-INV was receiving funding too, in which case yes there could be every chance they may chop the MME-BRU route (although let's hope they give it a bit more time first!).

-HD-

MME4eva
21st Dec 2006, 11:22
It's disappointing to see that the BRU flights are going out less than quarter full on average but-like I said at its launch-its hardly surprising to see the route struggling.

The question remains..does Teesside need a BRU flight which is shaped towards business travellers? The area is harldy awash with companies with links to Brussels and apart from the odd MEP who is really going to use it at such high prices? Certainly when I have looked at fares they are ridiculously high so as sad as it is I don't predict BRU much longer particularly if BRS didn't last a year and had more potential in my opinion.

I really like Eastern as an outfit and they have shown loyalty to DTV in the past but for a route to survive that they offer at their prices it needs to have the same potential and demand as ABZ which really leaves only possibly BFS or BHD.

Bodjit
21st Dec 2006, 15:38
Hey 4eva, my family often fly ncl-iom with eastern and nearly every time they're the only ones on...

The prices though are eyewaterin' which may be the reason why. They tell me the service on board though is excellent :ok: :ok:

Maybe the BRU service is the same, personally i hope it picks up as MME over NCL every time for me and everyone I know, drivin' past the metrocentre is nothing but a pain in the ar:mad:se for us... Oh and i happen to work there..:ok:

HeathrowDictator
21st Dec 2006, 19:27
The MME-BRU route was setup after consultation (I believe) with the companies who used to be known as ICI as they have offices in that part of the world. Since the prices are rather high (and yes, the service is excellent), they are the only real market for the route in the area as it is out of reach for the leisure traveller. Maybe EZE need to establish why those companies aren't using the route as much as maybe was expected (you never know, they may have only expected 20-30% loads), and maybe look at changing the times, adding an extra service or maybe lowering price slightly (although I don't know if price will be a factor on a corporate route).
-HD-

onion
22nd Dec 2006, 01:12
Bol Zup your infomation is a little out.
To clear up a few things the controller on long term sick is no longer on it but is only validated on radar due to the need for radar controllers. As Heathrow Dictator says the problem is attrating and retaining staff on the lower wages. Incidently the figure he uses for MME is what the senior controllers are on, not the starting figure. As Heathrow Dictator says the radar unit can get very busy, as HD maybe finding out, where as the Tower can be very quiet. The underlying problem is there is a shortage of staff. This is almost entirely down to lack of funding of the ATC operation with low wages and a reluctance of the owners past and present to invest in equipment and better wages.

BeaconInbound
22nd Dec 2006, 03:05
I agree with Onion with regards to the "long term sickness", and with HD on the upper wage limit. A standard TWR/APS controller at EGNV will expect to earn in the region of £41,500pa, and I believe the figures HD quoted were for Watch Supervisors - ie EGGP at £55,600pa and EGNV at approx £47,000pa, therefore standard controllers will be on less than the quoted figures.

Hopefully Peel will see eventually that the only way to attract more controllers to get MME to the staffing levels needed by SRG will be to increase the basic wage, or else lose more people to other units and therefore make the problem even worse.

Wellington Bomber
23rd Dec 2006, 16:00
The loads on NCL/INV was not great and this was supposed to be the peak time. Do not compare INV with BRU

The Brussels flight has started with better loads than CWL and also with fares been higher the need to fill all seats is not necessary, not the case if low cost airline. I am sure the loads will increase with business traffic picking up after the new year

DTVAirport
30th Dec 2006, 10:33
There is an article in today's Northern Echo about a planning application for a new 74-bed hotel where the Lancaster Building currently lies at the airport.

I don't know exactly where that location is, but does it replace the 100-bed hotel which is part of the proposal for the 18,600sq metre business park?

airhumberside
30th Dec 2006, 18:18
There will be a new ski flight to Chambery next winter for Thomson on a Saturday (info from their Winter 2007/08 ski brochure)

MME4eva
2nd Jan 2007, 10:01
Airhumberside that would be a great addition to the winter schedule at MME-do you know times/aircraft/frequency yet? I presume this would be a TOM aircraft positioning in from NCL or MAN?

Also, hopefully looking for some winter sun and as ever would prefer to use MME-does anyone know if GSM are planning to go beyond Tues 27rd of March with the TFS? Personally I would definately see this working through summer and especially beyond that date as it is just as the schools break up for Easter hols so seems a bit odd if they don't!! If no GSM can anyone confirm of the TOM flight is operated by TOM itself to TFS or subchartered?

mmeteesside
2nd Jan 2007, 10:34
That is great news, we need a regular ski flight...... I see DSA have also got a new flight to CMF so I'm presuming it's gonna be a W from them on a 733 or 738.

The GSM TFS should continue through the summer on Tuesday afternoons as there are currently 3 gaps in the schedule, 2 mornings and 1 afternoon, with 2 flights to re-arrange so they should go in the morning slots. This leaves the afternoon slot open for the TFS to go into (if it went in the one of the morning slots, it wouldn't get back in time for the afternoon flights, as they are at the moment).

Anyone know when any kind of work will start to do with the expansion plans? I'd guess they'll start the terminal towards the end of the summer and do the majority of the work over the winter.

mmeteesside

airhumberside
2nd Jan 2007, 15:56
The Chambery flights arive at 1200 and depart at 1300 and is not operated by ThomsonFly - a lot of Chambery flights for Thomson are subcontracted out to airlines like Flybe

However thats not to say it won't end up being TOM as the brochure doesn't list DSA-Chambery so can't be 100% accurate as things stand

DTVAirport
2nd Jan 2007, 20:26
Ok boys and girls, latest rumour is that following bad experiences with the same route at NCL, XL Airways are considering MME-SFB for summer 2008 with one of the Boeing 747-400s that are due to replace the current -300s.

The source is an XL employee, and I knew about this earlier today but was stopped from broadcasting it due to the length of time until the start, but it's since been brought up on the NCL thread and is spreading like wildfire (understandably).

I do think it will happen, but I think it is more likely to be with a Boeing 767-300ER, like the Airtours flight was. XL Airways are taking over the Alphajet Larnaca route for summer 2007, so I suppose in some way or another that will increase the likelihood that this is true.

Regards.

heslop2006
2nd Jan 2007, 21:24
Not to put a downer on it, But putting the SFB rumour into perspetive, MME doesn't have a large catchtment area unlike NCL, Also NCL has a larger friendship with other airlines which may spark XLA to try again.

If it does go ahead then good luck to it. But I don't really see how MME who hasn't had an SFB service for a few years can compete to NCL who at one point had 4 Weekly serivces.

nclpilot
3rd Jan 2007, 09:41
I honestly can't see an XLA 747 SFB service due to the infrastruture at MME. It does not have the size to cope with such a service and any related issues ie delays

DTVAirport
3rd Jan 2007, 09:46
Well like I say, I think it will end up being a Boeing 767 service, especially since MyTravel or Airtours as they were then pulled their 767 service to SFB (which actually went via Glasgow Prestwick iirc) because of lack of pax, so I can't see XL filling a 744, no matter how much time has passed since MYT served the route.

I think we can handle a 744 though, although it would probably have to park 'nose out' because our tugs can't handle a jumbo (I think it was the same situation with Onur Air in the summer with their Airbus A300-600R's), but I'm sure I once did see a 747 of Air Atlanta years ago parked in the traditional 'nose in' way.

mmeteesside
3rd Jan 2007, 13:05
The Onur's only came as 'one-off' visits for a few weeks whilst an A321 was fixed. Therefore they wouldn't have had a towbar for it. The B763's they do have a towbar for as I believe they park nose-in, and it may be the same for the B743 when that used to come. Also DTVA could handle the B744 once or twice a week (depending how they route it) and any associated delays as the airport is open 24hrs a day during the summer season (end of March - end of October).

mmeteesside

boygeorgefan
3rd Jan 2007, 14:15
MME needs to update its facilities before handling large a/c such as the 747-400.