PDA

View Full Version : NEWCASTLE - 4

Pages : [1] 2

transwede
28th Sep 2006, 09:38
Does the catchment area for NCL have the capacity and demand to fill so many loco flights to the likes of ALC, AGP and PMI. With TOM, EZY and LS offering high frequency flights, can they all be filled to make a profit? Not to mention charter companies also fly there, also offering flight only deals at loco prices, freedomflights and xl for example? Hope Jet2 know what they are doing, but it is good to see LEI, VLC and KRK from NCL. New destinations and variety, something NCL lacks of in certain areas.

Ryanair GRO

More competition for EZY. It seems locos are assaulting their dominance at NCL, will EZY fight or just sly away quietly?

Apron Space

NCL, even with extra stands on the southside and stands being upgraded to take larger aircraft still has a limit as to how many aircraft can park up over night. Sure many of the charter units do not nightstop, but they do return before all the nightstoppers depart, therefore parking is at a premium. NCL still does not seem to have grasped remote parking either, with handling agents having a lack of portable steps at busy periods, not to mention only 2-3 coaches ever in use at one time.

This summer, the following aircraft will all be on the ground at more or less the same time:

2 TOM 757, 1 TOM 733, 2 TCX 757, 1 MYT 320, 1 XLA 757, 1 XLA 734, 1 FJE 757, 2 LS 733, 6 EZY 73G, 2 BA 320/737, 1 AF CRJ, 1 KL 737, 5 T3 JS41. Makes a total of 26 extra and with the possibility of 2 extra from Jet2 thats alot.

Another thing to consider is the amount of check in space for early departures, considering all these aircraft will be checking in at more or less the same time, with the addition of aircraft which just come and go during morning time. Saturdays being particularly busy, with SFB operating. My guess is ques will be fairly large next summer, as Swissport appear to be overstretched and Servisair - well????

Nice to see expansion happening, but some things do need to be considered, unless the airport have plans of their own?

lukeylad
28th Sep 2006, 19:27
NCL is crowded at the best of times may even have to park a/c on the cargo apron.

HH6702
28th Sep 2006, 19:41
Come on ryanair lets have some more

stockholm
seville
jerez
bilbao

Well ncl now has 4 routes so we are closer to a base.
they said lets get 3 or 4 routes in to see if there is a case for us to base.

transwede
29th Sep 2006, 09:19
There is simply no room at NCL for a FR base, so I think its very doubtful.:confused:

Maybe its time for a second pier and more stands with terminal access.

angels
29th Sep 2006, 13:24
Folks, NCL isn't my usual lurking point, but thought you may be interested in what major ratings agency Standard & Poors has to say about your manor.

The agency rates bonds and is highly respected in the City. I'm just c&ping their release which was issued a couple of minutes ago. Have no idea if this of use to you or not.

If not PM me, I'll delete.

PS - a quick skim shows this is not good for NCL.

Cheers.

S&P release on Newcastle International Airport Ltd

Sept 29 - Standard & Poor's Ratings Services said today its 'BBB+' long-term corporate credit ratings on U.K.-based airport operator Newcastle International Airport Ltd. (NIA) and its parent company, NIAL Holdings PLC (NIALP), remain on CreditWatch with negative implications. The ratings were placed on CreditWatch on Aug. 31, 2006, in view of a proposed capital restructuring at the company.
"The CreditWatch status reflects the potential negative effect on NIA's credit-protection metrics of a capital restructuring, although the terms and conditions of any such restructuring remain unclear," said Standard & Poor's credit analyst Robert Bain. "We are also concerned that, following any restructuring, NIA could adopt a more aggressive financial policy than that currently factored into the ratings."
NIA has confirmed its intention to pursue a refinancing proposal that would result in the adoption of a more highly leveraged capital structure, although the final form of this has yet to be determined. NIA plans to repay or refinance the existing debt--excluding shareholder loans--without economic loss to investors.
"We will continue to monitor developments with regard to the proposed restructuring, and will resolve the CreditWatch status when its final form is confirmed," said Mr. Bain. "When the final form is confirmed, we will likely lower the ratings to speculative grade to reflect the credit quality implications of the restructuring."

nclairportfan
29th Sep 2006, 17:24
With regard to the recently announced routes to GRO from both NCL and MME. I think Ryanair are planning a base in the North East at some point before 2012 (big gaping hole on their base maps in the North East and South West) however I also think that they are testing the market at both NCL and MME before making a decision about which airport they would want to make the official base, presumably looking at turnaround times and trying to get the best deal from the airport they'll eventually choose!

There is certainly the potential for a small base in the North East. There are gaps in the schedules to places such as Poland (just 2 flights per week with LS), France and Germany so I think they would do well.

HH6702
30th Sep 2006, 14:56
ryanair will base and hopefully in time for next winter.

the airport will find space for them. may even move AF and SN over to the aero club over night.

heard they are talking to the charter airlines about re-timing some flight so they dont arrive back at ncl between 4am and 7 making more room for more based low cost aircraft

nclpilot
30th Sep 2006, 16:00
Cant see the airlines being dictated to by the airport - after all the airlines pay alot of money to the airport so cetainly wont be prepared to be told when they can and cant arrive if slots have already ben issued

nclairportfan
30th Sep 2006, 16:05
If we're looking at next winter then there is plenty of time surely to build some more remote stands? Looks like they'll need to speed up the masterplan if they want to stay in the running for an FR base and to allow for other expansion (ie. LS).

Wellington Bomber
30th Sep 2006, 18:52
What is the point in more remote stands when there is only 1 coach to get people there, and then there is one dispatcher to cover 3 a/c :sad:

simonwa
1st Oct 2006, 10:52
Ages ago we had rumours about an MON flight for Summer 2007 from NCL to CUN. Originally somebody on here send it was a mis-print in the Sunset brochure. However, the new 2nd edition of the Sunset Summer Sun 2007 brochure still states there is a Sunday flight with MON to Cancun. The only difference is that it states that Outbound is via Gatwick. Now a MON aircraft will be at NCL on a Sunday morning having returned from SFB - are they going to take passengers on the ferry flight from NCL to LGW and then continue to CUN. It's a possibility? Seems strange that the new updated brochure still has the flight listed.

HH6702
2nd Oct 2006, 16:06
Ryanair to add NCL-VBS in the next couple of days so start by next summer.

See that FLYJET have been bought out today.

NCLRULES
2nd Oct 2006, 16:40
For those that don't know, VBS is Verona Brescia. I don't kow how it could work, it's so close to Milan and the loads on that flight isn't anything wow.

It would also seem a strange choice for them considering only Girona and Stansted are the only flights there. Are they planning a base?

Are the flights from Newcastle not just because Milan is closed? Flights have routed there in the past in this case.

Charlie Roy
2nd Oct 2006, 16:57
Ryanair to add NCL-VBS in the next couple of days so start by next summer.

HH6702
Verona Brescia appears as a Newcastle destination in the "Find Lowest Fares" section of Ryanair's website due to a glitch. It has been that way ever since they needed to operate to/from there during a short period when Milano Bergamo was closed.

Jamesair
2nd Oct 2006, 23:10
EASTERN seem to have quietly dropped the NCL - INV route....it no longer appears in the timetables

skyman771
3rd Oct 2006, 13:19
EASTERN seem to have quietly dropped the NCL - INV route....it no longer appears in the timetables
I note it was showing yesterday on departure information as cancelled.
Lets be honest what chance had that service of ever being successful? Fare structure is strictly business orientated & would need some serious patronage to be successful. Indeed with the airline only showing an overall load factor on all UK services of 47.5% (CAA Stats June06) then there can be little scope for carrying, even in the short term, projected loss making low volume services. Was there an initial Scottish Tourist board subsidy to encourage inward investment? The facts are that if there was it was clearly insufficient and given Eastern's oncoming winter traffic projections, they are probably looking at a quiet exit. Indeed will anyone really notice:E

Jamesair
3rd Oct 2006, 16:41
the route got off to a bad start and didn't appear in the airport monthly timetables till September...so people consulting that wouldn't be aware of the service at all.

Pax figures have been pretty low with August being particularly bad.

Probably won't be missed much but leaves Eastern with a gap in its a/c utilisation.

transwede
3rd Oct 2006, 18:33
Looks like NCL's hope of getting a GSM base/operation have been dashed as they are due to start flights from MME to various european hotspots. surely GSM will now not consider NCL, even for long haul ops if an operation has been established at MME.

Gutted, was hoping for GSM 767 to fill NCL's crowded ramp space. I'm not fancying the thought of Ryanair taking over NCL.

Jamesair
4th Oct 2006, 14:34
Is there likely to be anything new for NCL from Flybe when it makes the rest of its summer 07 announcements? Surely there must be more than one weekly flight to Jersey next year and perhaps a route to France.

JKP505
4th Oct 2006, 17:37
Looks like NCL's hope of getting a GSM base/operation have been dashed as they are due to start flights from MME to various european hotspots. surely GSM will now not consider NCL, even for long haul ops if an operation has been established at MME.
Gutted, was hoping for GSM 767 to fill NCL's crowded ramp space. I'm not fancying the thought of Ryanair taking over NCL.

Don't really think it matters that GSM are going to MME rather than NCL, at the end of the day, GSM do nothing more than what EZY / LS / TOM do anyway. Just because GSM are going to MME for short haul doesn't mean they'll go there for long haul. Plus, I would be delighted if FR came to NCL, fair enough, their routes (generally) aren't great for business, but I got a rtn to DUB for next to nothing.

Is there likely to be anything new for NCL from Flybe when it makes the rest of its summer 07 announcements? Surely there must be more than one weekly flight to Jersey next year and perhaps a route to France.

Keep an eye out, EGC, BOD, BES and NWI. Heard they may be interested, but they are having issues with suitable a/c, and they have some ground issues at NCL - not happy with something, don't know what yet. Also heard that check-in concourse is causing a lot of problems with the projections for next year. NCL is going to have to get some check-in desks somewhere, at busy times there just isn't enough. For example some charters have been down to two per a/c, whilst TOM has had four for three a/c sometimes.

Considering thre isn't even enough groundspace, don't hold the breath on expansion! The airport surely must have considered all of this before now, otherwise they may be in the wrong line of work.

transwede
4th Oct 2006, 21:14
There certainly is some issues regarding ground handling and ground facilities at NCL. Check in space is certainly at a premium and airlines are suffering with large ques and not the amount of check ins they pay for. However, with Swissport and Servisair being the 2 ground handling companies, I say no more!!!

CentreFix25
5th Oct 2006, 06:15
NatWest banks lease not getting renewed when it ends in Nov/Dec, airport says it needs the space for further developments (which i assume is more check-in desks).

JKP505
5th Oct 2006, 11:16
More EZY cancelled flights - Rome. Any reason?

HH6702
5th Oct 2006, 21:01
transwede
I still think that NCL will see more of GSM for long haul routes.
We may even get a few short/mid haul routes on w's from DTV.
Does anybody know when globespan are going to launch there S07 holiday flights and with which airline? Still nothing on the website
More routes from jet2 next week i think?

Here's the following flights upto now for the above tour operator

Thu 24th May 07: Newcastle > Dalaman (OHY013)
21:25 Depart Newcastle (NCL) - 03:25 Arrive Dalaman (DLM)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thu 31st May 07: Dalaman > Newcastle (OHY014)
17:25 Depart Dalaman (DLM) - 19:55 Arrive Newcastle (NCL)

Sat 26th May 07: Newcastle > Dalaman (OHY4442)
09:30 Depart Newcastle (NCL) - 15:30 Arrive Dalaman (DLM)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sat 2nd Jun 07: Dalaman > Newcastle (OHY4441)
06:00 Depart Dalaman (DLM) - 08:30 Arrive Newcastle (NCL)

Sun 27th May 07: Newcastle > Bodrum (OHY456)
10:00 Depart Newcastle (NCL) - 16:00 Arrive Bodrum (BJV)
Sun 3rd Jun 07: Bodrum > Newcastle (OHY455)
06:00 Depart Bodrum (BJV) - 08:30 Arrive Newcastle (NCL)

11 May 07 11 May 07 Flight (OHY2456)
Newcastle - Bodrum 09:15 / 15:30
18 May 07 18 May 07 Flight (OHY2455)
Bodrum - Newcastle 05:45 / 08:15

11 May 07 12 May 07 Flight (OHY3416)
Newcastle - Dalaman 21:25 / 03:40
18 May 07 18 May 07 Flight (OHY3415)
Dalaman - Newcastle 17:55 / 20:25

The the above two operators are the same as this year.

Milan also on sale
Tue,Thur and Sat flights but change of times
in 19:45 out 20:10
I think this route will go down the pan now!!!
what rubbish times

transwede
6th Oct 2006, 18:30
If the airport authority are not renewing the Natwest lease, then it is possible that a couple more check in counters could be added in that space, but will it be enough. The airport needs to invest in a few more areas besides check in space:

Operating all four security scanners in the search area, as ques at busy periods are currently horrendous.
More coaches provided for remote parked aircraft, 2 is simply not enough when trying to process early departures with a mix of charters and scheduled flights.
Address the issues of ground handling at NCL. An airline could swop from one to another in the hope of better service, but I have a feeling its like jumping from frying pan into fire. 2 major carriers are not happy with the service they are currently receiving.

I really hope we do see GSM at NCL, capacity to long haul destinations will drop next year, compared to this year. With regards to Globespan Holidays, I think we wont see a flight from them next year, maybe they will just use seats on the new YHM service.

holidays4u sees an increase in flights too. Another flight to check in and process on a saturday - interesting!!!

Finally, somebody did mention flyjet. Yes they have been taken over by Silverjet, though according to press releases etc it will not change their charter ops, so NCL will remain unaffected and have its FJE base for forseeable future. Indeed, they seem to be making a fair crack at making it successful.

GrahamK
7th Oct 2006, 14:10
Thomas Cook have Hurghada listed as a destination from NCL on their flight only website.

HH6702
8th Oct 2006, 17:48
Great news about Hurghada. I belive this route is for winter 2007/8
I see the tour operators are now loading the system with winter 2007/8 dates ready for them to go on sale in the next 3 weeks.First choice website is showing a FUE flight on saturdays for summer 2007 but no flight details are coming up.

See that at the dubai world air routes thing last month NCL held 66 meeting with old and new airlines and tour operators. Far more meetings then anybody else.

Since that meeting JET2 are basing another 2 aircraft and ryanair have added GRO. There are more to come just finalizing the details it said in the paper.
Wounder what these are? New airlines it saidXL changes S07

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aircraft now going on a w somewhere

Newcastle / Kalamata Sun 06 May 2007 0530-1140 XLA3136
Kalamata / Newcastle Sun 13 May 2007 2215-0035 XLA3137

skyman771
8th Oct 2006, 19:45
See that at the dubai world air routes thing last month NCL held 66 meeting with old and new airlines and tour operators. Far more meetings then anybody else.
Reminds me of a John Cleese training film I saw many years ago titled 'Meetings Bloody Meetings' ....... it's action that is important;)
It's as inevitable as 'night follows day' that NCL will eventualy get a route to the Gulf & most likely Dubai. However there is not one of those remaining top eleven UK airports still without such a route who are not able to put up the same claim. The most important issue in this is whether it is to be provided by a scheduled carrier & thus actually providing access to the Far East & Aus, or just another IT destination so that the punters can go & marvel up Jermiah Beech at the 'Burj' (note it is worth a visit...just..:ooh: ).

transwede
9th Oct 2006, 09:48
HH6702 I believe XLA have made quite a few changes to their programme for next year, including changes to routes, timings and aircraft types to be based.

As with more new announcements to come, we shall have to wait and see, it all sounds very promising though.

Personally I am not convinced that a NCL-DXB service would be viable, especially if operated by EK or the likes, using A330 sized a/c, with premium classes onboard. Maybe 2 times per week, but would airlines be interested in offering such a low frequency? It has been rumoured for a while that the airbridge to be built on stand 9 is for an undisclosed carrier, so obviously it is some long haul venture, as this stand is used for widebodied a/c (being one of the only pier stands able to take large a/c).

Nice to see some more variety in charter destinations offered, Eygpt is becoming very popular. At times when looking at the departures board, I get sick of seeing ALC, AGP, PMI etc - theres too many flights and not enough variety. Thats only an opinion, however and if these are the routes that make money, then so be it!

HH6702
9th Oct 2006, 13:49
Heard that there is to be a weekly service with a 747 next summer.

I think that it is the travelcitydirect flights?

Maybe monarch have pulled the thursdays flights as the tour operators have been buying seats on this instead?

The new tower is starting to take shape.

lukeylad
9th Oct 2006, 15:26
Regular 747 flights be nice to see them at ncl. Can ncl cope with that kind of aircraft on a regualr basis ontop of its summer work load??

HH6702
9th Oct 2006, 17:32
They will launch the routes tomorrow.
Wounder if ryanair will add NCL - MAD before somebody else gets in.

nclairportfan
9th Oct 2006, 18:19
I'd like to think they would operate this route - bound to be fairly popular - most spanish flights are from NCL, especially in summer.

I am a little sceptical though as I would think there are other priorities from MAD (i.e. PIK, STN). Also have to remember Fr aren't afraid to go head to head with EZY so LPL, LTN and BRS could possibly be in with a chance too.

HH6702
9th Oct 2006, 18:26
Just like to see FR get in there 1st.
I think your right we have no chance for tomorrow but here's hoping

Charlie Roy
9th Oct 2006, 18:29
I am a little sceptical though as I would think there are other priorities from MAD (i.e. PIK, STN).

I agree nclairportfan. Newcastle is screaming out for a Madrid connection, so if we were talking about a Newcastle FR base here I would defo see a Madrid connection on the cards. However, since we are talking about a Madrid base and a rumour of only 2 UK routes, then I'm not holding my breath for Newcastle.

My money is on Stansted and East Midlands, and not because these are 2 UK airports I'd expect/choose, but they are the only 2 I've heard mentioned in the circulating rumours.

HH6702
9th Oct 2006, 18:31
Reader Holidays

Flying from Newcastle and departing 1st May, 8th May, 5th June, 11th September, 18th September, 25th September and 2nd October 2007

Belive this is new?

Maybe the next ryanair route ncl-carcassonne?

transwede
9th Oct 2006, 19:18
747 Flights

Travelcitydirect have been talked about quite a few times regarding starting a SFB service from NCL, indeed I believe it was last year that plans were actually put in place, then pulled at the last minute. I always thought such a service would work, but possibly only if TCD used maybe aircraft of 767 size. Not sure NCL has the capabilities, or catchment area to sustain regular 747 ops, with 400+ pax on. However, with Monarch only flying one rotation per week next summer, maybe there is the opportunity there. The thoughts of handling agents, the terminal etc dealing with a 747 at a peak time in summer is interesting!!!:}

TCD already have experience of operating from NCL, as they operate a number of shorthaul routes, using inhouse airline XL and contracted FJE. As part of the XL group, they along with Freedomflights and XL.com have added quite alot of capacity, so maybe SFB is next.

Would of thought that if they were going to operate the route that it would be on sale by now and lets hope it would be more successful than the last time XL operated longhaul from NCL. :uhoh:

Ryanair

I have to agree with nclairportfan, regarding FR and MAD. Although MAD is one of the only spanish markets yet to be served from NCL, I have a feeling that other airports on FR's UK network will be first. However, we could be surprised. FR have steadily expanded their operation at NCL, in the space of 3-4 years, with TRF, BGY and now GRO. Maybe their intention is not to make it an operating base as such, but have a sizeable operation using a/c from foreign bases. One thing that does confuse me is some of the times of FR's departures, they seem quite late, but then again loco's do like to get the best out of their operations.

HH6702 Reader Holidays quite often operate short series of flights, similar to the one you mention and use chartered aircraft. Similar t the Eurofly Naples that operated at the start of this summer.

On other new routes, we definately have not seen the end of Jet2's expansion, and eastern europe is still pretty sparse on NCL's route map. TLS, VCE, WAW...........

HH6702
9th Oct 2006, 19:32
Wizz are have added more flights to the UK today but not from NCL

i have e-mailed wizz about NCL and im waiting a reply.
Will let you know what i get.

747 stand is being done over the winter.

skyman771
10th Oct 2006, 08:12
747 stand is being done over the winter.
Which stand are you referring to, the airbridge on 9 or which stand ?

transwede
10th Oct 2006, 10:11
stand 9 is being fitted with an airbridge. The stand is capable of taking a 747, as proved by an AAE example last summer, but surely if regular 747 ops were to start, portable stairs would make more sense, speeds up boarding of 400+ pax.

daz211
10th Oct 2006, 10:12
Sorry no Ryanair MAD route for NCL or LTN or STN:ugh:

transwede
10th Oct 2006, 10:54
Anyone know when Jet2 are going to release their full programme for sale? Seems that routes to BGO, AMS, ORK and TFS are not on sale yet for summer 07. Lots of gaps in aircraft rotations, obviously some to be filled by existing routes not yet on sale, but space for new ones too!

skyman771
10th Oct 2006, 12:55
stand 9 is being fitted with an airbridge........ but surely if regular 747 ops were to start, portable stairs would make more sense, speeds up boarding of 400+ pax.
Absolutely & totally DISAGREE ! I do not see this at all, there is no logic to what you say. 747 Ops at most international airports are catered for with one or a matched pair type airbridge where basically one is used exclusively for First & business & other for everyone else. The volume catered for by the first/business is incidental in terms of volume & access & so invariably boarding is effectively by one airbridge. Slow access issues are exacerbated by mobs climbing up staircases trying to access a single isle from opposing directions & vice versa on descending such on diembarkation. Neither of these problems are encountered with a 747 & an appropriate airbridge.
Also you have not even dealt with the additional security issues of pax on tarmac.

transwede
10th Oct 2006, 17:53
I see your point skyman771 but it is only a single tier airbridge that is being constructed at NCL, so I believe. So it will mean 400+ pax accessing the aircraft using one door!! Monarch A330's currently use 2 sets of steps and it works quite well.

On a similar note, handling agents at NCL will have to acquire more steps and tugs etc will all this extra work.

What plan is the Jet2 757 doing next summer?

CentreFix25
11th Oct 2006, 15:35
TF-ELY has now left the Air Atlanta/Excel fleet, whats doing its flying at the minute?

irishcc
11th Oct 2006, 15:42
Excel have replaced the TF registered 737-400 with their own G reg 737-800.

Jamesair
11th Oct 2006, 16:14
The summer 2007 timetable for Excel seems to cover a 3 a/c operation but there are a lot of gaps to be filled most days.

Bournemouth seems to be the only UK airport to benefit from Ryanair's Madrid route announcement.

transwede
11th Oct 2006, 17:27
As far as I am aware, XLA will have basically the same operation as this year, i.e 2 based aircraft, though they will be two of excel's own aircraft - 737-800's. As with most charter companies there will be some timing changes etc but at the minute it looks a bit like this.

Aircraft 1

Mon - DLM 0700/0045 W to BFS
Tue - PMI 0600/1240
CHQ 1350/0015
Wed - RHO 0700/1720
Thu - FAO 0850/1650
ALC 1830/0115
Fri - DLM 0700/1655
CFU 1900/0310
Sat - PMI 0500/1135
ALC 1340/2025
RHO 2210/0825
Sun - ZTH 1110/2000

Aircraft 2

Mon - FNC 0700/1625
MAH 1725/2350
Tue - JTR 0635/1640
TFS 1740/0410
Wed - PFO 1430/0105
Thu - ZTH 0700/1550
Fri - JSI/KVA 0900/1900
IBZ 2030/0310
Sat - VRN 0725/2150 W to BFS
Sun - KLX 0530/0035 W to ???

Few flights been added and a few things changed from this year, but all in all roughly the same. Space for a few shorter flights to be added. Hopefully with 2 737-800 a/c all will run smoothly again for XLA at NCL.

Lets not forget that a portion of XL's programme is operated by Flyjet.

transwede
14th Oct 2006, 11:37
Could we see Jet2 to Madrid? A few gaps in their programme so far, and they are operating their regional bases to optimum potential, i.e operating routes on less than daily frequency as the markets are smaller from NCL, LBA etc than say MAN.

skyman771
15th Oct 2006, 13:15
What is this obsessive attitude towards a Madrid service ? true it would be nice addition to the NCL routes on offer & I may be amongst the punters who would hop over for a 'city break', but then there are numerous interesting cities in Spain:confused:

transwede
16th Oct 2006, 15:56
Just thought it was about time for a review of things to come at NCL, mostly starting next year and for Summer 07.

Ryanair

New service to GRO for Barcelona, in addition to DUB, BGY and TRF flights. Still possibility of more from Ryanair.

Jet2

New routes to LEI, VLC, AGP and PMI. PSA, MAH will return for summer, BGO, AMS, ORK, KRK, MJV to continue aswell as TFS. 3 based aircraft, 2 737, 1 757and 4th a/c nightstopping away but flying out of NCL.

Thomsonfly

3 based aircraft, 2 757, 1 737 and new routes to SKG and LXR. Thomsonfly, nor Thomson Holidays will be offering services from NCL to Lanzarote for summer 07.

Excel Airways

2 737-800 aircraft based, with similar programme, though couple of extra flights added.

Thomas Cook

YYZ service on 757 with 189 seats, otherwise same programme as this year.

MyTravel

Short early summer series of flights to SFB and AGA.

Others

Similar programme from Easyjet, with NCE returning for summer. No service to BUD or SXF and increased frequency on domestic routes
New Globespan service to Toronto Hamilton using flyglobespan 757 aircraft

As ever, its still only october and plenty of time for new stuff to be announced. Many airlines and charter companies have not yet finalised operations for next summer. NCL surely will have pax numbers well above previous years. Even this year seems to have had a substantial increase!

skyman771 I think the reason people keep harping on about a NCL-MAD service is that MAD is the only large spanish market not yet served from NCL. If you looked at a map, with the exception of northern spain, i.e Bilbao then the spanish route structure from NCL is pretty well captured by EZY, LS, FR, TOM and the charters with the exception of MAD. ideal city break location, as well as access point for South America.

HH6702
16th Oct 2006, 16:33
before gofly was bought by easyjet they were going to start servcies to Nice and Bilbao. Nice has started but bilbao never did.

Bilbao was big for incoming pax not outbound.
Same maybe for MAD

BALLSOUT
16th Oct 2006, 17:26
In todays Journal, (north east local rag) RYR are advertising DUB, GRO and London (STN)
Does this mean they are going head to head with easy?

10 DME ARC
16th Oct 2006, 19:19
Looks like they are using same advert as would be used in Blackpool area?

HH6702
16th Oct 2006, 19:24
FR to STN !! excellent if this happens

come on easyjet start fighting back!!

skyman771
16th Oct 2006, 20:31
It will all end in tears:{ To my knowledge EZY can't fill A319 / 737.700 even over holiday periods & lower fares than GNER, so where does this 738 fit in the profile :confused:

transwede
17th Oct 2006, 09:35
Can't see FR going head to head with Easy on the STN route. It does seem that all the other loco airlines are trying to become NCL's biggest loco airline, trying to overtake easyjet. Both Jet2 and Thomsonfly are advertising in local media as 'Newcastles low fares airline' or similar slogan.

Austrian Airlines have made a late addition to winter charter programme:

AUA9723/4 SZG-NCL-SZG STA 1540 STD 1630 A320 Saturdays

However, NCL has lost its charter link with Lyons, Thomsonfly will replace BA on the GVA run.

JKP505
17th Oct 2006, 11:07
I was speaking to a friend on Sunday, she told me that EZY will not be doing SXF, BUD, NCE, CIA at all next year, as they are going to redeploy aircraft. Not too sure how knowledgable my source is, but I wouldn't be surprised. :rolleyes:

crewboi83
17th Oct 2006, 14:44
Had heard a rumour other day that Easy could pulling out of Newcastle all together. I know its a bit far fetched but as they are dropping lots of routes could it be in the pipeline??

BIG E
17th Oct 2006, 15:18
Unlikely EZY will pull out of NCL.The reason behind pulling routes is purely seasonal,why operate at a loss? The NCL-STN does well for EZY,If anything i'd expect a RYR NCL-LTN service....

JKP505
17th Oct 2006, 15:45
Lets say EZY did pull out of NCL, would it even matter? The routes that they have are the 'bread and butter of all airports with a lo-co airline. I'm sure that with the airlines we already have at the airport, and others not here, that they would more than cover the void.

EZY do ALC, BCN, BFS, SXF, BRS, BUD, FAO, GVA, IBZ, AGP, NCE, PMI, CDG, PRG and CIA. Looking at these routes, there are a variety of airlines that could pick it up:

ALC - BE, GSM, LS
BCN - GSM, LS, TOM, VLG (maybe even JK?)
BFS - LS (more BE to BHD)
SXF - AB, LS, FR
BRS - WOW, T3
BUD - LS, NE, W6
FAO - BE, GSM, LS, TOM
GVA - ???
IBZ - LS
AGP - BE, GSM, LS
NCE - GSM, LS
PMI - BE, GSM, LS
CDG - BE, LS, FR (BVA), TOM (ORY)
PRG - GSM, LS, NE, TOM
CIA - GSM, LS

Probably wouldn't come off straight away, problems with a/c sourcing, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

skyman771
17th Oct 2006, 16:57
Lets say EZY did pull out of NCL, would it even matter? .
Must be one of the most ridiculous posts on this site for some time. Of course it would matter. To dream up some fanciful solution to fill all the voids such a move would create, was a waste of your time & anyone elses in reading such c**p !!:8

crewboi83
17th Oct 2006, 18:18
Was just a RUMOUR i had heard, was just wondering if anyone else had heard anything. All the routes that were axed are apparently for the summer season also, not just winter. No more expansion at NCL untill it becomes an Airbus base in the next 2yrs.

transwede
17th Oct 2006, 22:28
Highly unlikely that easyjet will pull out of NCL, they have always praised how successful the base is. Besides when all the charters disappear in november time, the loco flights aswell as some full service schedules are Newcastle bread and butter.

Is there any truth in the rumour about Emirates and a NCL-Middle East service. I know NCL is renowned for rumours, but this one has been persistant over the past few months. Have even heard it mentioned that they are partly funding the construction of a new airbridge on stand 9. Could they be the carrier talked about previously that will be using longhaul, wide bodied equipment?

Now with MME being selected as a GSM base, does that mean the possibility of long haul out of NCL has been lost?

HH6702
18th Oct 2006, 09:41
have heard this also.

seats go on sale next month and service to dubai starts march 07

they have help fund it and contracts have been signed.

rumour still until confirmed but it sounds right an unamed airline to start services next year.

skyman771
18th Oct 2006, 13:15
It's certainly more pleasant to read something that is potentially more positive in the rumours section. If it is true it is unlikely that it can be 'kept in the can' for long. Going back to the AA debacle & in speaking with an acquaintance in the NCL heirarchy some 2-3 weeks prior to their initial proposed service announcement, the 'person' could hardly hide their delight, whilst not betraying any professional confidence in specific disclosure.
Anyhow I have aired my views on this site for some time that I always considered such a service was potentially more viable / sustainable than one to the US, though clearly the greed factor really does hope for both;)
The way that EK are going, looks like they would have every chance of tying up the whole Middle / Far East market from NE England and I really do hope that they are prepared to try, as ever it would be down to marketing & level of service.
Worth also noting that CO's new service announcements are probably due circa end of Nov, they are committed to a number of new transatlantic services. With fuel prices dropping is it going to remain a case of ' forever the bridegroom, never the bride......' ?:ok:

johnrizzo2000
18th Oct 2006, 15:37
I would like to see CO at NCL! Its a possibility, as they seem to be going after niche routes- who would have thought BRS, BFS or CGN would get serivice to EWR? People may moan and groan about flying on the 75's, but without them, all those BFS pax would have to suffer LHR, or a drive to DUB, and NCL pax would be on their way to LHR as well!

HH6702
18th Oct 2006, 16:28
Winter 2006/7

FUE flights on wednesdays after feb change to paphos service
Monday flying has now been added

Summer 2007

New flight during summer holidays

Newcastle / Faro Sat 21 Jul 2007 1300-1610 XLA490V
Faro / Newcastle Sat 28 Jul 2007 1710-2020 XLA491V

HH6702
18th Oct 2006, 16:33
does anybody have the saturday times?

looking at timetable plane o come striaght back

transwede
18th Oct 2006, 18:40
Continental

Totally agree with johnrizzo2000. NCL's only chance of a transatlantic service is by an airline using 757 equipment iniatially. There is no market for anything larger. Besides lets not forget that these 757 aircraft used by the likes of CO, DL and AA are not arranged in the same config as we are used to by british operators of the 757. There is more room and quite often a higher class and level of service. The possibility of a NYC service cannot be far off, NCL is one of only a hand full of European major regionals without a long haul link.

Emirates

Should the rumour be true, then I am highly surprised that it has been kept a secret this long, particularly at NCL - the king of the rumour mill!! EK must surely have done their homework and research before launching such a bold route like NCL to DXB. It will, however provide NCL pax with excellent worldwide connections, not to mention the useage by longhaul exotic tour operators such as Kuoni and Hayes&Jarvis. It will also benefit the region as a whole, with the prospect of inbound tourism. Lets hope, should it all be true and not a fantasy, that it works and the service EK get from NCL airport and whichever handling agent is up to scratch. I can't see them standing for any delays due ground ops and facilities.

Excel Airways NCL Operations

HH6702 you are totally right in what you say, but remember that all winter operations on behalf of XL (to be technically correct Excel Aviation - the charter brokering arm) are operated by Flyjet, using the permanently based 757. Excel Airways themselves only operate during summer months. It is XL Aviation who charter the FJE aircraft onbehalf of fredom flights and XL.com. FUE will only operate now for a number of weeks over xmas and new year, with ACE on a monday starting in April. Obviously Canaries and Cyprus are proving popular from NCL. I bet when the FJE a/c is sitting at NCL during quiet winter spells that it picks up the odd adhoc bit of work - they seem to like it at FJE.

For next summer the VRN will come straight back and operate the new FAO ing saturday service, but XL have a habit of changing schedules and aircraft rotations, so more changes are bound to occur. Summer 07 schedules are not yet finalised.

On other news, management from a third handling agent have been spotted around NCL in previous weeks. Could it be that NCL is getting another ground agent in addition to Swissport and Servisair. Airlines are currently a bit unhappy with currect service, so could a new agent win a few large contracts and provide a better service. At the end of the day Swissport and Servisair have held the monopoly for too long at NCL, the former being the largest and seemingly struggling to cope. Servisair on the other hand are probably no better and still cant manage high levels of service, even with the amount of work they have.

So who could it be? Aviance, Menzies.......

GrahamK
19th Oct 2006, 07:32
Any idea why the Finnair Embraer 170 popped into Newcastle last night? And is the TUrkish 738 the only visitor for the United vs Fenerbahce match?

Robert William
19th Oct 2006, 10:40
The finnair was takin xla crews to hel to cover some flights due to the strike that started at 4am this morning, The turkish airlines will be back to pick the team up either tonight or tomorrow cant remember exactly but afer the match anyways. I also hear that the people looking at the airport where from menzies.

skyman771
19th Oct 2006, 12:46
Seems to have gone unremarked upon in this thread, but predictably DL having announced their 2007 transatlantic expansion intentions last week, made no mention of NCL.
To be honest I could never see this one materialising, for numerous reasons covered on many earlier postings.:\
The way I see it is if no action by CO, then GSM may be tempted to test the market either from NCL / DTV, though I personally can't see a 'full service' by GSM from either.

Jamesair
19th Oct 2006, 15:57
I understood that Delta had announced a couple of their new transatlantic routes and were to make a further announcement next month.

OltonPete
19th Oct 2006, 16:51
Like BHX I don't think NCL would get anything other than a 757
and the first one does not come online until July 2007.

This is a little late in the year to start transatlantics to regional UK
airports but you never know?

Hopefully CO will jump in first, I think that they are supposed to
be announcing their 2007 expansion shortly, so fingers crossed.

If CO don't then JFK-NCL by DL in 2008 (and BHX of course ;) )?

Pete

transwede
20th Oct 2006, 13:37
Robert William, Menzies Aviation eh? Wonder which contracts they'll go after, should they set up at NCL. Sure would put a rocket up servisairs backside, may even give them an incentive to up their service levels. Swissport do have their problems, but are far better than S'air. Airlines are currently supposedly unhappy with service levels provided, I can see why it probably annoys the crews. At the end of the day, normal punters don't realise that the ground staff are not actual staff of the airline they are travelling with and hence bad service on the ground = wrong first impression of the airline!

Should EK start at NCL, where will they go?

IMHO I don't think NCL is in with a chance of a DL service, far more lucrative markets before NCL. Maybe if EK did start it could have the potential to attract more long haul links. NCL's action in the long haul market is very poor, for an airport of its size and pax numbers, even on the charter side.

Orlando - seasonal charter, currently 2 per week
Toronto - seasonal charter, currently 1 per week
Puerto Plata - seasonal charter, currently 1 per week

No year round links and all on a charter basis. Even next year is pretty poor.

Orlando - charter seasonal, 1 per week
Toronto - charter seasonal, 2 per week
Puerto Plata - charter seasonal, 1 per week

Robert William
20th Oct 2006, 14:21
There are alot of contracts up for renewal at the mo so they are probably eying up these contracts.

Devonair
20th Oct 2006, 14:34
DL have other European cities on their radar... NCL does not feature at present.

transwede
21st Oct 2006, 12:36
I wouldn't really have expected NCL to be in DL's sights, CO is still our only hope for a NYC a the minute. Plus they have an extensive operation out of EWR with excellent connection opportunities.

On the ground handling front, I know TOM/TCX contracts are up shortly and if Menzies do come to NCL easyjet have a good relationship with them. Numerous other airlines are also unhappy at both current agents.

Any sign of other Jet2 routes being released for sale yet? AMS, BGO etc

Balenio
21st Oct 2006, 19:52
The finnair was takin xla crews to hel to cover some flights due to the strike that started at 4am this morning.

"One of the 16 Newcastle Excel Airways flight crew was found to be over the alcohol limit when attending to duty for flight due to Hania in Crete on Thursday."

Finnair requested Police to check the crew who ware bout to fly Hania because one of the grew member was acting suspiciously while in the info meeting before the flight (Excel crew was filling in for Finnair staff in strike)...

She was less than 0,22 mg/l but according to the paper Finnish Air law requires 0,00.

This info is from local newspaper "Iltasanomat". (and yes it’s a evening paper)

ncleflights
23rd Oct 2006, 22:21
Don't want to dampen the hopes of those folks that are still holding out for a New York route but it would appear according to COs Houston HQ that they are no longer looking at direct flights between NCL and EWK.

Best hope for NCL - New York now looks to be from Flyglobespan but personally don't think this will happen either.

It now looks like NCL will continue into 2007 to be the only top 10 UK airport to not have scheduled to the USA.

skyman771
24th Oct 2006, 08:09
it would appear according to COs Houston HQ that they are no longer looking at direct flights between NCL and EWK.

It will take a long time to recover from the AA 'knock back', but from where did you pick up this snippet ?

ncleflights
24th Oct 2006, 09:33
skyman, I got the information direct from a manager at Continentals Houston HQ.

The way airlines work though they may change their mind but it certainly looks like 2007 will be another year without scheduled links between NCL and USA

Jamesair
24th Oct 2006, 12:28
JET 2 has now put CORK on sale for summer 07.....4 x weekly 26/03 - 21/10
flts on Mon/Th/Fr/Su

HH6702
24th Oct 2006, 12:33
DL said at the time of AA pull out that it was hoping to start servcies from NCL to the USA within two years.

Dont knock it guys lets wait till end of Nov before we say we wont have the route!!

Maybe EK will carry onto EWR?
dubai-NCL-new york?

HH6702
24th Oct 2006, 12:37
Flights go on sale this thursday.

brochures are busy going to ravel agents now
if i get my hands on a copy i will post whats new

so far we know we have HRG

skyman771
24th Oct 2006, 13:26
DL said at the time of AA pull out that it was hoping to start servcies from NCL to the USA within two years.

A lot has changed in DL in two years, & basically can't see it:(
Maybe EK will carry onto EWR?
dubai-NCL-new york?
I presume that this was just a bit of day dreaming on your part.........

heslop2006
24th Oct 2006, 14:51

Woo Thanks for the info!

So 3 services to Egypt and loads of new announcements this year for NCL. I think in my opinion it's been a good year so far.

Jamesair
25th Oct 2006, 16:20
Flybe has put NCL - JER into the timetable for Summer 07. Unfortunately it will still be once a week on Saturdays.

transwede
25th Oct 2006, 20:07
Does anyone know why Jet2 are releasing their routes so spaciously? most of them on sale from NCL now, apart from BGO and AMS, as well as TFS if it is continuing through summer. Also does anyone know what pattern the 757 aircraft will fly? The MJV comes in from MJV in the morning, seemingly to operate PMI then fly back to MJV in the evening to nightstop. Is that rotation planned to be 757 op?

Other tour operators should be releasing winter 07/08 soon, but don't expect much, winter is not usually the best time for new routes, though with HRG I could be proved wrong.

Whats that with XL in HEL, one of their crew in trouble? Scandinavia has very strict rules with crew and alcohol, I believe.

Until NCL actually gets a NYC service, there will be this constant debate. It is by the looks of it, a long way off. Not good news for the only airport in UK top ten without one, even LTN has the prospect of Silverjet! NCL does have its strong and weak points. it is very strong player in charter market and loco service to the costas, but weak in European business centres, with the exception of CDG, BRU and AMS. Also very weak in long haul market. Hopefully its weak points are areas the big wigs are trying to address.

IS GSM YHM service definately a 757 op. Heard rumours it could be ZOOM???!!!

Travel Agent
26th Oct 2006, 07:28

No new flights from Thomas Cook to HRG, unless it is to be added at a later date. Thats according to our viewdata system

mad_rich
26th Oct 2006, 17:40
Does anyone know what happened to easyJet flights to Berlin? There's nothing in the winter timetable.

Is the route being withdrawn, or was it only ever a summer service?

transwede
26th Oct 2006, 20:45
Too good to be true then. HRG is certainly the type of destination that would work from NCL. Look at the success of SSH, started with 1/2 weekly flights, now is offered as a cruise package with greater frequency and more tour operators offering deals.

Still nothing confirmed from Jet2 regarding AMS and BGO and TFS. By the looks of the flying programme its a complicated a/c pattern.

Travel Agent
27th Oct 2006, 07:17
Too good to be true then. HRG is certainly the type of destination that would work from NCL. Look at the success of SSH, started with 1/2 weekly flights, now is offered as a cruise package with greater frequency and more tour operators offering deals.
Still nothing confirmed from Jet2 regarding AMS and BGO and TFS. By the looks of the flying programme its a complicated a/c pattern.
From what I can see so far, the big four have unchanged programmes for next winter, with the exception of Thomson, who extend their Luxor summer service onwards into winter....

Gouabafla
27th Oct 2006, 13:34
My wife and I are considering moving back to the North East to be near to my mam (see, I am from there really) who is not too well. We both work for a development organisation and make regular flights to sub-Saharan Africa. This means that we need a good regular service (three or four flights a day) to both AMS and CDG. Are the Air France and KLM services from Newcastle regular? And are they likely to stay that way on into the future?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Jamesair
27th Oct 2006, 17:02
AMS will have 5 flts a day (M - F) by KLM and probably 2 by JET 2
CDG will have 3 flts a day (M - F) by Air France and probably 2 by EasyJet
BRU will also have 3 flts a day (M - F) by SN Brussels

Information given above applies to Summer 07

HH6702
28th Oct 2006, 05:07
its a mistake on the website there is nothing in the tcx winter brochures.

HH6702
28th Oct 2006, 12:00
So far the airbridge on stand 9 is for EK for a daily service to dubai starting next year.

Once work has finished on this i have heard rumours that work will then start on stand 7 for an airbridge for another new airline to start long haul services next year.

Has anybody got any info on this?

transwede
28th Oct 2006, 13:37
All too much to hope for!!! Heard the rumours too many times now to actually think theres a hope. Still have doubts over the Emirates thing.

go-egnt
28th Oct 2006, 16:18
All very exiting news about new airbridges and airlines to use them, but has anyone got any sources they can name to back up these rumors

Also does anyone know where i could get a diagram of the apron showing the location of all the stands, and up to what size aircraft they hold?

Thanks

Jamesair
28th Oct 2006, 16:46
There must be an element of truth in the rumours. Gate 9 is definately having an airbridge built and it is only full service scheduled airlines (probably with business class passengers) who choose to pay to use the facility. Gates are usually no-go areas for lo-cost carriers.

I have no knowledge of the airbridge for Gate 7 apart from what I have read on here.

If a Dubai service is to start next year I would expect an announcement soon...advance bookings are vitally important.

nclbase
28th Oct 2006, 16:59
You mean gate 26? its stand 9 they are presently building the airbridge on

CentreFix25
28th Oct 2006, 17:29
A number of very enthusiastic people posting their wishful thinking me thinks. Dubai daily, doubt it!. It was entioned on one of the earlier threads that JFK would be anounced at the end of the Summer, it didnt happen. With regard to the airbridge, my guess is the airbridge will be for ThomsonFly, NCL seem to be getting on really well with TOM and theyve just about got the stand 10 airbridge to themselves.

Ops Guy
28th Oct 2006, 17:59
New to this forum. I have been following it for months but never posted a thread. :) I can definately say that stand 7 will not be getting an airbridge after the one on stand 9 in complete. Max aircraft for stand 7 is B738 - A320 (group 2 if i'm not mistaken) and is usually used by locos!!!!!
:ok:

ncleflights
28th Oct 2006, 20:40
I think if we are all realistic weve got to admit that its now unlikely we will have New York for 2007. Based on how route announcments are normally made a New York route starting next May would already be on sale. Remember when AA intended to fly NCL - JFK those routes went on sale in the September for the following May.

This would leave NCL as the only top 10 airport in the UK without a link to New York.

On the subject of easyjet they have now announced that Nice will be back for next Summer but no mention was made of Berlin and Budapest, I take it weve lost these routes for good as far as easyjet are concerned.

transwede
28th Oct 2006, 20:58
Stand 9 is the parkng position used by Monarch A330 a/c on transatlantic charters, only stand on the pier which can handle aircraft of this size. Even EUK 747 has parked there previously.

Stand 7 is at the top left of the pier and usually only sees EZY, FR, MYT etc with small narrow bodied airliners like 737 and A320 family. A very unlikely position for an airbridge.

TOM do have the greatest useage of the current airbridge (the other being the sole use of BA LHR/LGW shuttles). They pay to use the facility and prefer it. Other airlines do use it from time to time, like TCX and XLA, and occaisionally KL. Swissport use it 100%, as Servisair are not trained.

Should the new bridge on stand 9 be built for a long haul carrier, it must be full service, which severely limits the possibilities at NCL. Indeed this topic has been discussed in the past on this forum and airlines generally prefer steps, as it enables quicker turnarounds and greater access for service personnel. Especially true with loco carriers, which NCL is very popular with. Generally full service airlines that fly into NCL are the likes of AF, SN, LH, WF which use small regional jets and turboprops - aircraft not able to use jettys.

EK may start services, possibly not on a dily frequency though. As with rumours of further long haul scheduled services, the possibilities are limited, with really only NYC potentially viable, though outside possibles are TLV and India/Pakistan. Large communities of both nationalities in the NCL area.

Seemingly, mentioned a while ago, but Menzies handling are a dead cert for operation next summer as 3rd handling company.

Next few months promise to be interesting, rumours will come and go, but the definates will be revealed.....(I suspect we've not heard the last from Jet2!):}

World Traveller
28th Oct 2006, 22:56
[QUOTE=transwede;2934313]Generally full service airlines that fly into NCL are the likes of AF, SN, LH, WF which use small regional jets and turboprops - aircraft not able to use jettys.
[QUOTE]

Erm, the BAe 146, Canadair RJ and Embraer 145 types most certainly can use airbridges. Chicago O'Hare, Memphis, Charlotte, Newark, San Francisco all do it hundreds of times a day. At the other end of the route you will see 146s routinely airbridged. With will you can also put an airbridge on an ATR-72 and Saab 340 (that I've seen) and therefore no reason why not on a Dash 8 either....

WT

go-egnt
29th Oct 2006, 06:15
Intresting debate about airbridge on stand 7, i dont think that carriers like FR/EZY would want to use an airbridge. While i doubt that one would be built just for the singluar based TOM737 next year.

What is the maximium size aircraft stand 7 can handle? Is it 757? (i know it normally only 737/320 size......but stand 9 most of the week had 757s, yet 747s can park there) If stand 7 is capable of taking 757 its possible the airbridge is being built for a NYC carrier .

Can anyone please point me in the direction of where i can find a diagram of the layout of all the stands at ncl? I've seen one in the past just cant find it anymore. Thanks for your help

CentreFix25
29th Oct 2006, 07:09
You can find the stand layout here (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/login.jsp;WLSSecurityAesSessionCookie=RURg3RKwl1wv208JdWrIUl IjJdjYSofXtD2hYHaf9ce41CoNW96E!3096374329936213671!172422922 !80!7002)

Once youve registered (free) the path is Publications/UK AIP/The UK AIP Package/Aerodrome Data/Aerodrome Specific.

Ops Guy
29th Oct 2006, 16:03
= (go egnt) What is the maximium size aircraft stand 7 can handle? Is it 757?

Maximum aircraft for stand 7 is a A320 - B738.

If there was an airbridge installed on stand 7 (which there wont be) you can kiss goodbye to easy jet parking on stand 6!!!!:)

crewboi83
29th Oct 2006, 22:25
I always thought servisair were trained on air bridge as ive been on there a few times with MYT on the airbus

Marra123
29th Oct 2006, 22:45
I heard that servisair were trained on the airbridge, but due to a safety incident whilst using it they have stopped.

Robert William
29th Oct 2006, 22:52
They where used until a certain incident occured about 2yrs ago.

transwede
30th Oct 2006, 09:02
Incident? What happened with Servisair and the airbridge? Having said that they must not be particularly worried about not being able to use airbridge, considering biggest customer is EZY. Do we know if anything is happening regarding Menzies?

First 6 months of summer punctuality results are out and NCL still performing well against other UK airports, abeilt with a slight increase in charter delays. Among the UK charter operators, heres how they stand at NCL:

1. Mytravel Airways
2. Thomas Cook Airlines
3. Thomsonfly
4. Excel Airways
5. Flyjet
6. Monarch Airlines

Quite surprised at the results, thought TOM would have been lower, judging by some of their delays and FJE a bit higher, they seem to have performed very well at NCL so far. Monarch doesn't shock me, they have had some bad delays. Would be interesting to see where the airlines are placed if all the foreign charter operators, which fly into the UK are included in the league tables!

Robert William
30th Oct 2006, 11:38
Someone souposidly got there foot run over :bored:

Topjet
30th Oct 2006, 12:48
I heard that servisair were trained on the airbridge, but due to a safety incident whilst using it they have stopped.

About two years ago, whilst retracting the airbridge, little did the operator know that someone was underneath out of view of the CCTV where they shouldn't have been. How his foot got ran over is beyond me, as an alarm sounds and if you somehow dont hear that, Im pretty sure it would knock you down before it got a chance to run you over!!

Said person now works for swissport!! :}

Flightrider
30th Oct 2006, 13:08
Heard today that BA are pulling off NCL-LGW at the end of the winter season.

Sad, but seems to be the way things are going.

HH6702
30th Oct 2006, 13:18
alot has been said in recent weeks regrading airlines coming to NCL. a lot of people think this is great but there are a few that think these will never happen and somebody is making them up. I will start a list hear of where these reports have started

Emirates - daily to Dubai
this was in the trade press (ie. Travel weekly & ttg) ages ago that they are talking to airports in the north of england about starting a service to Dubai. lots of people working at the airport have said that they have paid for the airbridge on start 9. these people are management and staff of different companies within the airport.

Qater Airways - Doha
Again this was in the trade press earier in the year that they were talking to NCL management yet nothing seems to have happened yet.

Delta Airlines - Somewhere in the US (New York)
Hoping to start services from NCL to the USA within 2 years. THat was again in the press when AA started selling New York.

These above if happen will be great.
:O :O :O

HH6702
30th Oct 2006, 13:25
BA pulling out of NCL-LGW wont be a great loss.

rumours have it that easyjet are going to take over the route in march using A319 from the gatwick base.

Menzies will start handling may next year and rumours have it that they are after the following airlines

Easyjet and Jet2
Thomson and Thomas cook

Smile!!!
30th Oct 2006, 13:34
As for Delta, yes they are starting new routes to the UK on 757 aircraft, but in 2008 from what ive heard. They are now recieving 14 ex TWA 757 aircraft starting from next June, so too late for 07 summer season.
I do believe that NCL will be one of these routes, that will suposedly be announced in November, a year and a half in advance:confused: . Although thay have already announced Cleavland-Paris for 2008, so this may well happen, and keep an eye out:)

( click on)
http://ad.doubleclick.net/click%3Bh=v8/348e/3/0/%2a/b%3B53705627%3B0-0%3B1%3B13045561%3B31-1/1%3B18729966/18747861/2%3B%3B%7Esscs%3D%3fhttp://www.nmedia.com/Growing_Globally.wmv

It shows NCL on the route map! DIRECT from JFK

transwede
30th Oct 2006, 18:12
HH6702What are your sources that confirm BA pulling off LGW and Menzies definately starting service at NCL? TOM, TCX, Jet2 and easy all have contracts with other agents presently!

Seems quite possible that DL could start service, but as with everything we shall have to wait! NCL desparately needs new long haul services to keep pace with other regional UK airports.

ncleflights
31st Oct 2006, 20:29
As for Delta, yes they are starting new routes to the UK on 757 aircraft, but in 2008 from what ive heard. They are now recieving 14 ex TWA 757 aircraft starting from next June, so too late for 07 summer season.
I do believe that NCL will be one of these routes, that will suposedly be announced in November, a year and a half in advance:confused: . Although thay have already announced Cleavland-Paris for 2008, so this may well happen, and keep an eye out:)

( click on)
http://ad.doubleclick.net/click%3Bh=v8/348e/3/0/%2a/b%3B53705627%3B0-0%3B1%3B13045561%3B31-1/1%3B18729966/18747861/2%3B%3B%7Esscs%3D%3fhttp://www.nmedia.com/Growing_Globally.wmv

It shows NCL on the route map! DIRECT from JFK

If you look carefully non of the `Global Delta` documents on the delta show a planned direct service to ncle from jfk. If you expand the route map it shows that the UK city in question is Manchester. Non of the PDF documents tht go with this route map make a mention of NCL either

skyman771
1st Nov 2006, 08:32
If you look carefully non of the `Global Delta` documents on the delta show a planned direct service to ncle from jfk.
Glad to note I'm not the only one who has the view that DL at NCL is a non runner.
There is,as far as I have noted not one shred of published data to suggest that NCL is being 'seriously' considered. It has been public record for some time that DL were to aquire 757's for European routes based on the success of the CO model.
What is probably more relevant is that CO's success has been achieved whilst avoiding NCL.
It is areas such as the airports involvement in developing & marketing routes with enerprise agencies such as One North East that are a potential source of information, not any amount of speculating as to where DL will put 14 transatlantic capable 757's from 2007 onwards:sad:

HH6702
1st Nov 2006, 08:52
those contracts are up for tender at the minute so all 3 hand agents are fighting for them.

I still belive that we will get new york for s07.

it may not start till july/aug but we will get it!

skyman771
1st Nov 2006, 12:48
I still belive that we will get new york for s07.
it may not start till july/aug but we will get it!
Hmmm........ suggestions just seem to be getting ever more absurd. Why on earth would any suitably organised carrier wish to start a service half way through the summer ?:ugh: :ugh:
Quite apart from throwing away critical revenue, it would be a marketing nightmare, public confusion coupled with an inability to fully include in summer brochures..........:sad:

CentreFix25
1st Nov 2006, 15:19
Got to agree with skyman, NY not going to happen at least not before 2008 in my opinion. If HHs enthusiasm had anything to do with it we would have CO and DL flying daily to NY, daily flights to Dubai and Doha. All a long way off (if at all), but you got to admire that enthusiasm.

Jamesair
1st Nov 2006, 15:57
On a less super-optimistic note re Copenhagen.

The pax tax which was imposed and caused the loss of our Easyjet operation there will be scrapped next year.

This should present an opportunity for a return of Easyjet or maybe Jet 2 or some other lo-cost operator.

SAS proved there is good pax demand for the route but not at a price that makes it viable for SAS

HH6702
1st Nov 2006, 16:29
Hope to prove all you guy wrong!!

may have egg on my face but i think we will get it.

Less of a risk to start in july now more time for bookings and it's then high season.

transwede
1st Nov 2006, 18:20
I hope all your enthusiasm HH6702 is not wasted, but as time ticks on, there seems less of a chance of NCL getting a long haul link before 2008. I still have my doubts over the EK rumour, even if it did start, could NCL catchment area sustain such a service? Has the airport got the infrastructure to cope with all the extra flights, including long haul a/c on a daily basis with high end business classes? At the risk of repeating myself, handling at NCL is not first class and there is a severe lack of checkin facilities and security check points at busy periods. Not to mention gate equiped stands (i.e next to terminal), even the number of remote stands for pax ops in nearing capacity.

Long haul charter is a priority, if they work, maybe its a key to attract scheduled long haul. Notice Monarch, who operate all NCL charters across the pond are bottom of charter league table for delays at NCL - not a good first impression.

Regarding handling agents, I know Swissport and Servisair at NCL do not have the best reputation, but what is to say Menzies will if they start? (Lets also bear in mind nothing has been confirmed by airport or Menzies!) I also think it is not only the likes of EZY, TOM and TCX menzies will go for, smaller operators also bring in valuable handling fees and their contracts are generally renewed more often! Out of the two current, Swissport seem to be doing a better job with a better reputation for service. I have heard that Servis are regularly delaying flights and inbound aircraft are having to wait xxx time for steps and assistance!!! Hope things are looked at and change for the better, Servis used to be highly respected.

skyman771
1st Nov 2006, 20:26
......... Has the airport got the infrastructure to cope with all the extra flights, including long haul a/c on a daily basis with high end business classes?
I've read your posting & again inconsistencies, you suggest not the capacity for longhaul scheduled but ok for longhaul IT:confused:
Personally I would have thought more hassle from IT pax, & as for suggesting long haul would need more business facilities, surely in the main these business pax already use NCL, they simply route via AMS, LHR ,CDG or wherever ! The real problems are highlighted by more & more Loco flights that are in the long term unsustainable & for which a low revenue is derived. The problem with NCL is not neccessarily the lack of foresight, but the inability to carry out the plans that have been mooted in recent years whether through lack of funding & resource or simply basic incompetence. There was a draft plan phase xx or whatever that mooted a terminal extension to the north with a second pier & without this then clearly all that is happening is putting a strain on all ground handling resource with the handlers at the front end hardly helping matters. Other points you raise about lack of security resource, seems that this is an almost country wide problem.
I personally see NCL's achilies heal in ultimately being a lack of space available for development, Landside things are already a disaster, & the multi storey car park fiasco just runs & runs. Airside things are little better, & in my mind the runway will never be more than adequate, anyhow, is it not due for major resurface work, like ages ago ?
One can always go on about problems but then it is better to be in the current situation than down the road at MME which is slowly deteriorating into little more than an AFB in support of the Middle East detachments:E

CentreFix25
1st Nov 2006, 21:09
Not heard anything lately, but the runway is due for some resurfacing soon. Apparently airside ops have been to Cardiff recently to see how they managed their resurfacing. Not sure of a start date though.

Ops Guy
2nd Nov 2006, 04:10
The start date for the runway resurfacing is yet to be confirmed. Provisionally penciled in for winter 07/08. :) Should be fun!!!!!!

transwede
2nd Nov 2006, 08:34
skyman771

Maybe my thoughts were not clear enough, let me expand a little. Yes NCL is a decent sized airport and given the correct planning new stuff would operate easily, but my concerns over scheduled long haul, lets use EK as an example are:

Full fare airline, with reputation for high quality business/first class cabins. This service starts on the ground with priority check ins, limo service (quite often kerb-side check in), superior business lounge facilities - often dedicated lounge etc. IMHO NCL lacks the ability and space to provide these things. Indeed only BA and Servis offer business facilities, neither meeting the expectations of first class pax. Sched carriers often also pay for extra check in facilities and if flight was scheduled to depart around a busy period, then there aint a hope in hells chance! Long haul IT work requires less of all this, therefore there is more chance. Lets not forget that the bulk of pax who use NCL are leisure travellers, therefore leisure destinations tend to be more appealing to pax and airlines.

On the security front, yes it is a headache for every UK airport, however, NCL has 4 checkpoints, why are there only ever max 2 in use at busy periods? Surely in the heightened state and increasing pax numbers more needs to be invested in more staff to man extra check points? I did hear a rumour, maybe even part of xx masterplan, that search area would increase in size, due to the closure of costa coffee upstairs and covering of balcony area above old check in area???

The runway does indeed need resurfacing, I'm sure it will happen in time. However, the length always causes a debate. A/C such Monarch A330 are capable of leaving on a transatlantic crossing, so is there a need to extend? Surely NCL does not have the catchment area for any bigger aircraft to operate regular scheduled services (perhaps TCD 747?):confused:

Picture it - a few years time. Masterplan has been completed!! Newcastle has 3 terminals (well one but 3 different buildings), 2 piers and aircraft from scheduled full service, locos and charters can be seen operating domestic, european and long haul services on a charter and scheduled basis. Handling quality is one of the best around. The potential exists for airlines to look at NCL and think 'we have to start flying there!':O (dream over!!!!!!!)

Have began a topic on 'Ground Ops' forum. Regular users, both SLF and crew would appreciate comments - curiosity an all!

sean377
3rd Nov 2006, 14:12
You can find the stand layout here (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/login.jsp;WLSSecurityAesSessionCookie=RURg3RKwl1wv208JdWrIUl IjJdjYSofXtD2hYHaf9ce41CoNW96E!3096374329936213671!172422922 !80!7002)
Once youve registered (free) the path is Publications/UK AIP/The UK AIP Package/Aerodrome Data/Aerodrome Specific.
Or download here:
EGNT Parking Chart (http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nixons/stuff/32NT0202.pdf)

go-egnt
3rd Nov 2006, 18:29
thanks for the paport charts guys.

is they anywhere you can find out the max size of aircraft every stand can handle?

cheers

p.s...... come on emirates ( a emirates a330 would look amazin!)

CentreFix25
3rd Nov 2006, 19:13
Heard an Emirates rumour today, March'07 and stand 9 all in the same sentence.

10 DME ARC
3rd Nov 2006, 19:23
From the Flybe take over of BA Connect press release for NCL;
"Flybe confirms commitment to Newcastle and plans to make major new route announcements"
:)

Jamesair
3rd Nov 2006, 23:05
any chance of providing a link to that press release?

Not if it's an advertising link. And it is.

Ops Guy
4th Nov 2006, 00:18
go-egnt [QUOTE] is there anywhere you can find out the max size of aircraft every stand can handle?

Stands
Not sure of a document where you can get this info from, but I will tell you what I can.

Around the Pier
Stand 1 max aircraft B733. Stand 1 also has a diagonal centre line across it, which when in use is called stand 31. Aircraft which use stand 31 are marshalled on to it. Max B737-700.
Stand 2 max B738-A320
Stand 3 Can squeeze an A321 on to it (airbridge)
stand 4 B757-200
Stand 5 B737-700
Stand 6 B737-700
Stand 7 B738-A320
Stand 8 Just been reconfigured to B738-A320. It could take a 757 but the stand has been reshaped to accommodate the installation of the new airbridge on stand 9 (for whoever that may be)
Stand 9 A330-200. Stand 9 also has another centre line running down the side of it where we can park a 747, this is stand 30. When a 747 is on this stand it takes stands 8 + 9 up.
Stand 10 B767-300 (airbridge)
Stand 11 B767-300
Stand 12 B738-A320
Moving remote
Stand 13 B757 (wash stand)
Stand 14 B757 (wash stand)
Stand 15 B734 (wash stand)
Stand 16 we sqeezed a B777 on this stand last year when we had the 3 big diversions from LHR. (when a well known catering firm went on strike).
Stand 17 B767-300
Stand 18 B734 (this stand is getting made bigger as part of the winter works. I think it will be-able to handle a B737-7 0r 800 size)
Stand 19 has just this summer been reconfigured to handle a B738-A320 (I think)
Stand 20 B757-200
Stand 21 B767-300
Stand 22 B747-400 / A340. We also have stands 22L and 22R built within Stand 22. These are both capable of handling B734
Stand 23 B757

In between the blast barriers and stand 13 there is stands 32L + 32R these are both JS41.

Stands 50-54 are generally used for buisness jets for Samson.

South Side (freight)
Stand 60 B738
Stand 61 B738
Stand 62 B738

There is going to be a lot of winter works this year and a number of the remote stands dimensions will be changing. Also 2 new stands getting built north of stand 18 (behind stand 19). I think loco size.

Hope this helps you get a better understanding of Newcastle!!:)

sean377
4th Nov 2006, 08:16
thanks for the paport charts guys.
is they anywhere you can find out the max size of aircraft every stand can handle?
cheers
p.s...... come on emirates ( a emirates a330 would look amazin!)

From the NCL pages of the UK AIP:

Stands 1 to 12 inclusive around the pier and 13 to 23 are marked in nose-in/push-back configuration, excluding certain large wide bodied aircraft which will be marshalled into
positition within an area comprising of stands 16-18 or 19-23. Stand 22 has additional centrelines
designated 22L and 22R. Parking on these stands is under marshaller’s instructions.
No stands are marked for self-manoeuvring operations, and availability of self-manoeuvring
stands will be at the discretion of Airside Operations and will require a vacant stand on both
sides of the aircraft wishing to self-manoeuvre, aircraft will be marshalled off stand. If the
adjacent stands are occupied aircraft MUST push-back. All nose-in stands are marked with
a yellow centre-line and stopbar for self-positioning onto stand. Aircraft alignment is achieved
when the stop bar is visible over the left shoulder of the pilot in the left hand seat. All stand
boxes that do not have parallel sides, ie Stands 6-9, 13, 16 and parallel sided stands 2 and 4
are marked with a stop short stopbar and is to be used as advised by ATC. Stands 3 and 10
served by APIS linked to Airbridge operations. Stands 4 and 7 also served by APIS to provide
Stand Entry Guidance, if not available then markings guidance provided as per above,
marshalling assistance available on request.
Supplementary parking positions 30 and 31: Stand 30 is a parking position diagonally across
Stand 9 for B747 or A330-300 aircraft, and Stand 31 is a parking position diagonally across
Stand 1 for B737-700 or A319 aircraft. Both are accessible with marshalling assistance. ATC
will give directions if required.
Supplementary parking positions 32L/32R: Stands 32L/32R are located west of Stand 13 and
are available for 2 Jetstream aircraft under marshalling guidance. ATC will give directions if
required.
Push-back from Stand 12 will be via specific instructions from ATC.

The entire document is here (http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nixons/stuff/302NT01%5b1%5d.pdf). It's on page 3.

nclbase
4th Nov 2006, 10:25
Ops-guy, are you airside ops are handling at NCL?
Would be interested to hear your perspective on the summers operations at NCL from a professional perspective.
I fly for a charter carrier and we have experienced a few issues (but nothing like we have downroute!)

nclairportfan
4th Nov 2006, 11:35
Flybe confirms commitment to Newcastle and plans to make major new route announcements
Flybe would like to take this opportunity to confirm its ongoing and long term commitment to Newcastle. Flybe continues to respond to consumer demand and now offers four direct links from Newcastle to key destinations in the UK and Ireland. The proposed acquisition will serve to continue this development with yet more investment resulting in more routes for consumers and growth for the region.

Looks like flybe will be looking to expand at NCL over the next few years.

Ops Guy
4th Nov 2006, 11:40
[QUOTE] Ops-guy, are you airside ops are handling at NCL?

Airside Ops :)

Summer 06 has been, how can I put it "intresting".

Shortage of pier stand always makes the job difficult. At the back third of the summer season we were reduced to only 3 stands around the pier that can accommodate a 757, yet we had 6 based 75's throughout the summer. Every day we were operating at full capacity. (or there abouts)

Handling agents under-perfromed in my opinion. S/A lost some contracts and then had to pay some guys off. S/P had bitten off more than they could chew. I know baggage reclaim was very slow for them.
(but I am sure everyone tried there best to turn aircraft round and get them on there way). I dont blame the baggage handlers or dispatchers for aircraft incuring delays. I think this comes from the top!!

I am sure we have all learnt from summer 06 and are looking forward to next summer. (maybe not).

Rumour has it that we are again going to be operating at full capacity with extra jet 2 a/c next summer.

skyman771
4th Nov 2006, 12:24
Ops-guy I for one wish to thank you for your recent postings which make a pleasant change to the unavoidable 'rumour mill'.
Now a question, from your perspective, are 'the airport' given that 'full capacity' is at times anticipated S07 exercising any form of control in dealing with operators proposals/requests in terms of equipment that they wish to operate in S07 ?

HH6702
4th Nov 2006, 14:27
Does anybody know who is going to do the LCA flight tonight on behalf of Libra holidays now that AJET are no more

Flybe always said that once the had the new EMB aircraft that they would expand operations at NCL. I dont think that they will base for least another year but i do think that we could see 10/15 flights a day with them using aircraft from other bases.

I think that flybe said once they have completed the deal with BA then they would look to really expand operations at NWI,NCL and LBA

There is still a lot of routes that would really work for flybe and there 100 seater new aircraft

HH6702
4th Nov 2006, 14:40
anybody know what routes could be coming to ncl?

transwede
4th Nov 2006, 14:48
nclbase what are you thoughts on operations from NCL, ops guy is remaining very neutral!!!

nef
4th Nov 2006, 17:59
Someone remarked about Jet2 doing Canaries from the UK, flyglobespan also do it with a year-round daily service from GLA which has been operating for about 18 months now and seems to be doing OK. If it works from GLA I don't see why it couldn't work from other similarly sized or larger airports. In fact, I believe GSM are planning on expanding TFS services from other UK airports, so maybe EZY have missed a trick!

orangetree
4th Nov 2006, 19:15
yo wellyB, I've done plenty of night TFS's . They are a walk in the park compared to 5 of easy's finest earlies. Fact remains we arn't interested in UK-Canaries. Just a pity your lot don't pay the money, then we could all join the Jet2 holiday camp :rolleyes:

nclbase
4th Nov 2006, 21:19
HH6702, I hear they have nightstopped the inbound LCA with pax being taken to LGW tomorrow with XLA then coached home.

Transwede, I am flight deck based at NCL and I can honestly say I have enjoyed this summer. However, the airport can be a little frustrating especially as our airline seems to always get a remote stand which means coaching pax to the teminal. Now after we have been on a 5 hour SSH flight, pax just want to get off the aircraft and we have found that on a number of occasions we are waiting for airport coaches and our handling agents.
NCL s growing which is fantastic news and creates opportunity, however, the market all seems to be lo-cost. The ramp is unbelievable busy on night stops, with the handling agents stretches ever. All talk on another agent coming in is good, but I think we would just experience the same service as airlines won't be paying anymore, which in turns means the staff aren't oing to get a rise.
Good to see the new tower going up!

Robert William
4th Nov 2006, 22:25
People had been booked on the AJY flight but they where all AJY direct so the instruction from libra was just to send them home, luckly only two people turned up for i, as for the inbound libra ops said at 1400 today there was no airline avalible to op the ncl flight for them and they advised they would be intouch as soon as they found someone, still waiting for a phone call 9hrs later.

Robert William
5th Nov 2006, 18:49
AJY pax are due bak in at 2010 tonight on a AEU rescue flight

Lite
5th Nov 2006, 20:56
Is there official word now that Menzies are definitely arriving next summer, and if so, any idea what contracts they're specifically after? I'm guessing easyJet will be high on their list.

Great to see Servisair isn't just a circus where I work! :ugh:

Ops Guy
5th Nov 2006, 23:24
Lite:

I am yet to hear official word that menzies will be arriving next summer. However, if they did it would'nt supprise me. I do know that officials from Menzies have visited Newcastle recently.

If Menzies do come next year and successfully get the Easy contract, where would that leave poor old Servisair. There would'nt be much left to handle!!!

Kev 1
6th Nov 2006, 04:40
Does anyone know how the pax figures are looking for the following New Routes that have recently started from NCL?

Krakow (Jet2)
Tenerife (Jet2)
Dublin (Aer Lingus)

Cheers

Kev

BIG E
6th Nov 2006, 16:39
Re:easy to the canaries,out of range for both fleet type.

Mark23
6th Nov 2006, 19:38
Has anyone commented on the fact that the London City morning flight has moved from a 06:55 to an 08:00 departure. I have travelled on the route a couple of times - once with only 2 others!

The great thing about the route was that you could be in the centre of London by 09:00, but no longer. I wouldn't be surprised if the route was struggling.

At least it means that there are not 4 Eastern flights leaving ncl between 06:50 to 07:00 from one gate and with only one bus!

Jamesair
6th Nov 2006, 22:34
FLYBE*

Flybe plans to base 4 Bombadier Q400 a/c at NCL next summer subject to negotiations with the airport which they hope will be finalised within the next two weeks. Pax numbers are planned to increase from 400,000 to a million. Mike Rutter says plans are to have the new services running by next summer with domestic routes and services to Germany and Copenhagen.

This is surely a bit of very good news for the airport.

* The full story appears in the Newcastle evening newspaper

nclairportfan
7th Nov 2006, 06:48
Good news about BE possibly basing four aircraft. Though, where will the airport put them? Surely, in terms of stands for nightstopping aircraft and check in desks we're beginning to reach saturation point?

What domestic routes will they offer? Would imagine SOU, BHD and EXT would move to a NCL based aircraft if they were to have 4. Additionally, I can see them giving T3 a run for their money on ABZ and possibly BHX. Would like to see NWI too but not sure if this could sustain more than a once daily service. Perhaps we will see an increase in frequency on the JER route too.

On a European front, CPH would be welcome as SAS were achieving fairly good loads, despite their lowest fares probably being higher than BE's and most of the traffic was point to point. Germany is an odd one, SXF would be good but as their flights to Germany from other UK airports are to HAJ and DUS, which are both served at NCL, I'm unsure what they could go for.

I would like to see some flights to France too. Possibly TLS, BOD and/or EGC. With the right frequency (i.e. 3 times per week) I'm sure they'll be successful.

skyman771
7th Nov 2006, 08:08
FLYBE*
Flybe plans to base 4 Bombadier Q400 a/c at NCL ...........
Reminds me of the days with Gill ATR's all over the place, funny 'what comes around goes around.....':)

fl dutchman
7th Nov 2006, 10:06
Are they doing this route for summer 2007.
Have heard it may not op at all or down to once daily?

Jamesair
7th Nov 2006, 10:32
JET 2 AMSTERDAM

All of their other Amsterdam flights are open for booking (summer 07). There must be a reason for the delay. Maybe the slots are not finalised yet.

HH6702
7th Nov 2006, 11:02
maybe we will see the following back

munich
cgn
sxf

may see cpn 2x daily with the loads

would work on smaller aircraft. great news will have to get t e paper.

Jamesair
7th Nov 2006, 11:11
[U]FLYBE NEW ROUTES
The places mentioned in the article were:
DOMESTIC.....BELFAST, BIRMINGHAM, SOUTHAMPTON, INVERNESS
EUROPE.........COPENHAGEN, STUTTGART, DUSSELDORF, FRANKFURT

Evileyes
7th Nov 2006, 16:28
Folks, the posts this refers to have been deleted. Those involved know who they are and are requested to make use of the Private Message facility PPRuNe provides for that sort of conversation.

Thanks,
The Mods

HH6702
7th Nov 2006, 17:12
For the person in the know about whats happening but cant pot on hear(sorry forgot who you are) jut wanted to know if im being too enthusatic about New York from NCL?

If you could prvt message me that would be great.

Other routess for Flybe maybe

Shannon
Nice
Bergerac
Brest
Norwich
salzburg
Toulouse
Berne

I would expect to see at least 10 new routes for the 4 aircraft unless they operate daily. I think that exter and southampton and belfast to stay the same using there bases.

holidaymax
7th Nov 2006, 17:44
Mentioned on the Flybe local press release are Paris, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt and Milan

Jamesair
7th Nov 2006, 20:29
Those places were mentioned in the General Press release about the BA CONNECT takeover, the places I mentioned were NCL specific in a later release.

Paris is already served by two operators and (Milan) by Ryanair. I would like to see Berlin and Nice served again and maybe some of the other French cities which Flybe serve from other points.

Four aircraft at three return rotations a day. That means twelve flights a day which certainly gives plenty of scope for some interesting routes.

JET 2

There are plenty of gaps in the aircraft utilisations for other route announcements for Summer 07

en2r
7th Nov 2006, 21:02
Other routess for Flybe maybe

Shannon
Nice
Bergerac
Brest
Norwich
salzburg
Toulouse
Berne

I'd say Shannon is unlikely given Ryanair's domineering presence there. Ryanair would just launch a Newcastle route to spite Flybe. Bar Aer Lingus to Heathrow, Ryanair are the only operator of flights between Shannon and the UK. Ryanair will do everything possible to keep things this way

ncleflights
7th Nov 2006, 21:33
Excellent news about FLYBE, if it actually happens. Remember the deal has not yet been signed, sealed and delivered yet.

Would probably have thought that the possible new routes from Newcastle would be those quoted in the local press as they came directly from FLYBE. The routes particularly the ones quoted in Germany would be good for the local business community but remember HLX tried Munich and Cologne and that did not appear to work and easyjet have just dropped Berlin (still puzzled why easyet dropped this route because the route had good load factors until easyjet started messing around with the timetables).

It would be good to have another airline to compete with easyjet at Newcastle as they have made a complete hash of things at Newcastle over the Summer. Things have got so bad that a organisation I know of has stopped their folks travelling with easyjet as they had staff stranded all other the place with the huge amount of cancellations so a reliable loco would be good for Newcastle.

Travel Agent
8th Nov 2006, 08:48
Source Qatar Airways

.....but do you think we have any chance of the northern European destination?

London, UNITED KINGDOM – Qatar Airways today announced an expansion of its international network with the addition of seven new routes during 2007 – celebrating 10 years of flying since its relaunch.

From Europe and Africa to Asia and, for the first time, North America, Qatar Airways will add seven key cities to its route network over the next 12 months. And the airline confirmed it will take delivery of the first of 20 Boeing 777s next year to operate long haul routes from the carrier’s Doha hub.

Nigeria’s commercial centre of Lagos joins Qatar Airways’ network from January 3, followed six days later by Dar Es Salaam, capital of Tanzania.

Qatar Airways will begin flying to the tropical island of Bali from the start of the Summer 2007 season in March, supporting its existing Indonesian operation where the airline already serves the capital, Jakarta.

And Vietnam is also on the horizon when Ho Chi Minh City is set to become yet another destination in Qatar Airways’ Asian portfolio next March.

For the first time, a Qatar Airways aircraft will land in the United States with daily scheduled flights from Doha to New York, scheduled to begin in Summer 2007.

The US route will be operated non-stop with Qatar Airways’ new state-of-the-art Airbus A340-600 aircraft, featuring a unique onboard First Class lounge. The airline was recently the launch customer of the High Gross Weight version of the aircraft, which is currently operating on the Doha – London Heathrow route.

Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker hosts a press conference at World Travel Market in London

In addition, Qatar Airways will fly to a new point in Northern Europe and, for the first time, in eastern Europe, in the second half of 2007. Details of the two new European destinations are being finalised.

Addressing a press conference at World Travel Market in London today, Qatar Airways Chief Executive Officer Akbar Al Baker said 2007 would be a milestone year for the Doha-based airline.

“Back in 1994, Qatar Airways launched operations with just a handful of regional routes with a handful of aircraft,” he said.

“The airline was relaunched in 1997 and, almost 10 years on, Qatar Airways now flies an international network covering 70 destinations across Europe, Middle East, Africa, Indian subcontinent and Far East.

“Our fleet has grown sharply to 51 aircraft and we have simply gone from strength to strength carrying more than six million passengers a year representing annual growth averaging 35 per cent. We are well on target to more than double our fleet size to 110 aircraft by 2015.”

Added Al Baker: “Our fleet, our destinations and our global network have grown with unprecedented proportions, which is simply the envy of our peers in the aviation industry.

“As we enter 2007 to celebrate 10 years of flying, Qatar Airways is pleased to announce the addition of seven destinations to our ever-growing international network. Lagos, Dar Es Salaam, New York, Bali and Ho Chi Minh City and two additional points in Europe will further cement our position as a truly global airline.”

Al Baker also announced that the airline planned to acquire 20 Boeing 777s with deliveries beginning at the end of 2007. With options for a further 20 Boeing 777s, these new aircraft – a mix of Extended Range, Long Range and Freighters – will be the backbone of Qatar Airways’ long-haul, wide-body fleet and used on new routes across North America and Australasia.

Qatar Airways Chief Executive Officer Akbar Al Baker is pictured centre addressing a press conference at World Travel Market in London. With him are General Manager Commercial Peter Spencer (left) and Regional Manager Europe, Siva Ramachandran

He also revealed that Qatar Airways’ brand new Premium Terminal – the world’s only stand-alone terminal dedicated to First and Business Class passengers – is set to open at Doha International Airport by the end of the month.

The new US$90 million facility, built in just nine months, will feature a spa, jacuzzi, fine dining restaurants, together with duty-free and exclusive check-in for premium passengers flying with Qatar Airways.

The terminal building will be ready in time for the 15th Asian Games taking place in Doha between December 1 – 15. Qatar Airways is the Official Airline of the Asian Games, which promises to be the biggest ever in Games history.

NCLRULES
8th Nov 2006, 15:37
but remember HLX tried Munich and Cologne and that did not appear to work

But do you remember HLX advertising? With a little advertsing and a smaller aircraft, which flybe would provide I imagine the routes would work.

CentreFix25
8th Nov 2006, 16:18
.....but do you think we have any chance of the northern European destination?Nope. Dont believe for a second there is demand for a NCL-Doha.

BIG E
8th Nov 2006, 16:50
ncleflights

Indeed the ezy summer was a mess right across the network,you will find that the operation is now back on track and the same issues shouldn't appear next year..

skyman771
8th Nov 2006, 20:03
Nope. Dont believe for a second there is demand for a NCL-Doha.
Yep agree, would struggle to fill even a A319LR.......... ;) , but then that would in any event hardy merit an airbridge:E

Postscript :- accademic.... Northern European destination believed to be GLA

ncleflights
8th Nov 2006, 22:47
ncleflights

Indeed the ezy summer was a mess right across the network,you will find that the operation is now back on track and the same issues shouldn't appear next year..

BIG E

I think the damage has already been done, easyjet let far too many people down this summer and ruined far too many peoples travel plans. This year from Newcastle Jet2 are operating quite a few routes directly in competition with easyjet and I know a lot of folks that would normally have booked with easyjet are booked next year with jet2 and quite rightly.

Easyjet and their staff have only themselves to blame for voting with their feet and going elsewhere after all is the number one aim of any airline to actually get passengers from a - b and not leave them high and dry? Then to further compound the problem when you have to complain about easyjets performance they fail to reply to any of your emails or letters. To show how bad things are, even though they have now dropped Nice, Berlin and Budapest they are still showing on the easyjet website as been available from Newcastle. Come on BIG E this is basic stuff we are talking about easyjet showing routes as been available from Newcastle when they clearly are not.

Hopefully Jet2 will be able to show easyjet how to provide good customer service from a loco and roll on flybe's new routes from Newcastle as easyjet have upset for too many peoples plans this summer.

fl dutchman
8th Nov 2006, 23:05
[QUOTE=ncleflights;2953740]BIG E

To show how bad things are, even though they have now dropped Nice, Berlin and Budapest they are still showing on the easyjet website as been available from Newcastle.

These flights are not bookable. A message states that quite clearly if you try to book them. No doubt they will be eventually be removed from the drop down list, that is if they are not to be re-introduced for 2007.

Have to agree though that they made a mess of things in the summer, one of the busiest routes Bristol being one of the worst hit. However things seem to be normal now ie all bookable flights opperating. Its going to be a while though before customer confidence returns.

BIG E
9th Nov 2006, 11:34
I agree customer confidence is low but ultimately if the price is right customers do return,look at ryanair,appalling customer service but its soon forgotten about when they can offer seats for under a tenner.

Don't you think you are generalising a little bit regarding 'easyjet and its staff only have themselves to blame' Fact is the mess was created by someone getting their sums wrong,the rest of the staff are the ones who have had to pick up the pieces,from frontline staff,operations,call centre,crew.All have had a challenging summer,i understand all emails etc are being worked through now,as you can imagine there is a large backlog of understandable complaints.

You are correct non-existent routes should not appear on the website but at the end of the day so what? Nothing to get worked up about is it?

SWBKCB
10th Nov 2006, 21:51
Don't know if this increases or reduces the liklihood of direct flights - at least they've heard of us! :confused:

"Delta Offers Customers Access to Seven More European Destinations With Expanded KLM Codeshare Service
ATLANTA, Nov. 10, 2006 -- Delta Air Lines will improve customers' access to seven popular Western and Central European destinations with 14 new codeshare flights operated by SkyTeam partner KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, effective Dec. 1. With the new service, customers will be able to fly between Delta's U.S. gateways and Amsterdam and conveniently connect to nonstop flights to or from Bremen, Germany; Aberdeen, Scotland; Luxembourg; Riga, Latvia; Bergen, Norway; Stavanger, Norway; and Newcastle, England within five hours of arrival."

skyman771
11th Nov 2006, 10:39
-- Delta Air Lines will improve customers' access to seven popular Western and Central European destinations with 14 new codeshare flights operated by SkyTeam partner KLM conveniently connect to nonstop flights to or from ....and Newcastle, England within five hours of arrival."
The negative approach :-
Am I missing something, convenient ? 5 hours + additional flight time in arriving at AMS in the first place:ugh:
Hardly a marketing coup by DL, but then this is presumably only highlighting those KLM European destinations that fit into the profile for this initiaitive.
The positive approach :-
DL is doing NCL a favour in announcing to world at large that NCL has an inadeqaute airservice to the US:D :D
Come on CO get your finger out !

HH6702
11th Nov 2006, 14:12
I think that jet2 will be trying to get the correct lot needed for the 2x daily flights to ams. Load have been great.

ECA ha taken over the AJY sunday morning LCA flights for 07

24-Jun-2007 Newcastle - Larnaca (Cyprus)
11:00 / 17:40 (4 hours 40 minutes) (ECA)

01-Jul-2007 Larnaca (Cyprus) - Newcastle
07:00 / 10:00 (5 hours 0 minutes) (ECA -)

HH6702
11th Nov 2006, 14:17
The above is advertised for march 07 for readers holidays.
Is this going to be easyjet aircraft number 7 or will JET2 or maybe flybe get in there first.

SWBKCB
11th Nov 2006, 16:31
Does anybody know yet if this will return for next summer?

Hope so, cos my sons school (in Northumberland) are expecting to fly out to Prague and back from Berlin next April...

ncleflights
11th Nov 2006, 19:17
I agree customer confidence is low but ultimately if the price is right customers do return,look at ryanair,appalling customer service but its soon forgotten about when they can offer seats for under a tenner.

Don't you think you are generalising a little bit regarding 'easyjet and its staff only have themselves to blame' Fact is the mess was created by someone getting their sums wrong,the rest of the staff are the ones who have had to pick up the pieces,from frontline staff,operations,call centre,crew.All have had a challenging summer,i understand all emails etc are being worked through now,as you can imagine there is a large backlog of understandable complaints.

You are correct non-existent routes should not appear on the website but at the end of the day so what? Nothing to get worked up about is it?

Typical easyjet type response if the price is right passengers will return, what great customer service!! we can treat our passengers with absolute contempt but they will come back if the price is right. Not the case as I said if it business passengers easyjet have upset, they cant risj unreliable airlines.

This may also work for Ryanair who operate to secondary airports and rarely have competition from other airlines one thise routes not the case at NCL as JET2 will be competing directly with easyjet on some routes. Easyjet have also never been able to offer prices as low as those of Ryanair. To give an example Jet2 are offering flights to Palma for next year lower that easyjet did this year and the schedules are better, you arrive mid afternoon with JET2 with Easy in the summer you arrive late at night. Given the problems that easyjet have had this summer it does not take a geneous to work out which airline the travelling public will choose.

I was also not getting particular worked up about easyjet showing non existent routes just pointing out that they can't get the basics right and show folks where they actually fly, perhaps Im asking too much of an airline!!

crewboi83
11th Nov 2006, 22:22
If anyone has seen the flight guide that is availible from onboard or from ticket desks it states destinations and the amount of times daily each services runs but not times etc etc
It states summer 07 NCL AMS is only once daily.
This could be an error, or it could be changed.
RE gaps in the flying programme for Jet2
Is that just summer or winter?
The 757s programme is pretty much packed except the tue and wed which, if you look at their flights from most airports are the 2 days where they have a lot of down time.
737s are quite busy too. dont think there is much room for that many, if any new routes
Again could be wrong, anyone got any other info plz let me know

fl dutchman
13th Nov 2006, 10:09
EI must be affecting them on this route. They have dropped late flight on Tue/ Wed and moved the early morning Mon to lunchtime.

BIG E
13th Nov 2006, 11:50
ncleflights

As stated previously there is no disputing S06 was unacceptable but fact is money does talk,not everyone has the option of picking and choosing which airline they fly with,they will generally choose the cheapest option,be it jet2,ryanair or easyjet.The beach routes jet2 and easy are competing on next summer can easily sustain multiple daily flights,its easy to forget if it wasn't for the likes of ryanair and easyjet, newbies like jet2 and bmi baby etc wouldn't be in existence..

Greek God
13th Nov 2006, 13:07
Typical easyjet type response if the price is right passengers will return, what great customer service!! we can treat our passengers with absolute contempt but they will come back if the price is right. Not the case as I said if it business passengers easyjet have upset, they cant risj unreliable airlines.

I believe Big E said customers "do" return not will. A small word changes the whole tone and I certainly don't detect the arrogance you appear to see! Customer confidence has been hit hard and it will take a long while for it to return, however, it was a management error and for the most part the local staff did exceptionally well in continuing their duties in the face of exterme frustration both on the pax side and thier own. Although all come under the Easy mantle most descision making is not done at a local level. As an aside, and unsolicited, I got a £25 voucher for use against another flight and an apology from EZY for the disruption caused by a cancelled flight. I gather they sent these apologies out to all disrupted pax- Don't see FR or J2 doing that!

BIG E
13th Nov 2006, 13:52
Good Point Greek God, easyjet is certainly not complacent about retaining its customers which is why it offers better customer service than other loco carriers when things go wrong,i'm not saying its perfect but not many offer the same compensatory levels as easy.

Marra123
13th Nov 2006, 14:21
On the debate about Easyjet and Jet2, Is it just me or does anyone else believe they are alot different?
Easyjet use 5 737-700s at NCL they are used basically non stop from morning till night and have a 25 minute turn around. With flights to domestic and european destinatons. I dont think Jet2 are much of a threat to EZY at the minute. Next year jet2 are flying to Malaga and Palma which EZY already oprerate 7days a week, I know easyjet have had alot of problems ovr the summer but these were mainly domestic routes such as Bristol and Stansted, which jet2 dont operate and I cant see them operating in the future. With regards to Jet2 taking easyjet passengers off the AGP and PMI routes I cant see this happening as Easyjet operate a good service on these routes and the 'package holiday' type passenger isnt to fussed which airline they fly with as long as its cheap! . Back to easyjets daily operation where for expample this morning there was STN,AGP,BRS,BFS and PMI all outbound by 8am, Jet2s schedule was AMS at 9am but no other flights before 12pm.....my point here is what do they do with there aircraft? why dont these use them at full capacity and do people think they will still offer great operational service if the aircraft were used to full capacity with 30min turnarounds?

ncleflights
13th Nov 2006, 15:59
..... With regards to Jet2 taking easyjet passengers off the AGP and PMI routes I cant see this happening as Easyjet operate a good service on these routes and the 'package holiday' type passenger isnt to fussed which airline they fly with as long as its cheap! . ?

I agree the summer holiday maker is not that bothered as long as the flights are cheap and to go back to my example Jet 2 will operate daily to Palma in direct competition with easyjet. They currently are offering lower flight prices for next year than easyjet did for this summer. The summer schedule is better with Jet2 you arrive mid day with easyjet late at night. Family with two kids is going to choose the airline that is cheaper and gets them and their kids to the desitination at a reasonable time. Which unless easyjet do something different next summer is Jet2, if easyjet use the same summer times that you have in the last couple of summers you get to Palma at 23:00 approx which means by the time you arrive in you hotel is the early hours of the next day. These are not ideal times for a family with kids. This is the one route where I think that easyjet are vunerable to Jet2.

I also don't think that sufficient capacity exists to sustain the level of loco flights from ncle to pmi. Easyjet will have 7 per week, Jet 2 7 per week and Thomsonfly 5 a week. The load factors can not be at Newcastle for this kind of schedule to Palma.

Some folks on here seem to think I am anti easyjet which I am not, but I think as far as Newcastle is concerned they have taken their eye of the ball lately. Remember in Summer 05 Newcastle airport were comenting how easyjet would be basing another aircraft at Newcastle in November 05. This was pulled at the last minute, why?

Marra123
13th Nov 2006, 16:08
I think everyone agrees there is far too much of the same at NCL espesially Palma, Why dont the locos do somewhere new and interesting is it they are scared to try something new or is it that they just cant be botherd to? More eastern europe destinations would be useful I know j2 are doing Krakow and Valencia etc but somewhere different like croatia or more flights to France,Italy and Scandanavia, Question is though.....Does the NE have the demand for desinations such as Stokholm or Naples?

CentreFix25
14th Nov 2006, 07:06
With regards to Jet2 taking easyjet passengers off the AGP and PMI routes I cant see this happeningI've just booked to go to PMI next year and chose Jet2 over all the others (inc. EZY) because they were cheaper (£300 for a family of four)and the flight times were better (a big consideration for famlies with young children)
Why dont the locos do somewhere new and interestingPMI is tried and tested, sells and makes money (as do AGP and ALC). Their giving us what the majority want.

BIG E
14th Nov 2006, 10:23
As easyjet have not yet released the S07 schedule it is hard to make a direct comparison,if you are looking for the best deal its all about timing,Jet2 have already published next years so the best fares are on offer now,however by the time easyjet publishes its fares around Dec/Jan all the cheap seats on jet2 will have been snapped up in which case it will be cheaper to book with easyjet,once they've all been taken you may find another carrier releasing its schedule and so on.

With regard to new routes there are a number of considerations,firstly do you dump a tried and tested route in favour of an untested one? The costs involved of starting new routes are pretty significant,advertising,new airport start up costs etc.Airlines will therefore consolidate routes they currently fly because they know what works and what doesn't.Bearing in mind the route network out of Newcastle now compared to 5 years ago its still pretty impressive.

crewboi83
14th Nov 2006, 10:54
Greekgod.... your right I cant see Jet2 offering vouchers and apologies to disrupted pax, wanna know why? Because in all the time i been with Jet2 Ive never known them cancel a flight! Even in aug with all the security issues etc etc. If we have a severe delay then we will draft in an replacement aircraft, or get pax back to UK on another Jet2 flight with transport back to their origional destination. Not ideal but better than just cancelling the flight.

I can see easyjet pax coming over to Jet2, i dont see why not, if you want national express style service then by all means travel easyjet, but at Jet2 its a bit more professional. Im not saying this because i work for J2 but simply ive had the EZY experiance and i dont wish to repeat it.
Our PMI is much better flight times as stated, its cheaper an its on sale now! unlike easyjet who last time i checked still didnt have next summer on sale.
I dont see a prob with load figures, look at MAN, flights to PMI are operated by XLA, FCA, TOM, TCX, MON (low cost and charter) WW, LS, AEU and MYT and our PMI on the 757 was still full most days.

Will be interesting to see how the summer goes, but as far as im aware PMI is selling well

HH6702
14th Nov 2006, 12:40
The change of time on monday and no evening flight on tue and wed was the plan. before ei can onto the route.
Look at the airport timetable the flight start again on the evenings in the new year

Anybody know what the next FR new route will be?

skyman771
14th Nov 2006, 13:09
Can't really see where all this banter of Easy vs Jet2 is leading. To me it's very simple. On routes that are duplicated then it simply comes down to the all encompassing word 'Service' which consists of numerous elements including flight timings / frequency & price. Some people value price paramount, others are able take a more pragmatic view. Accepted that marketing has a strong influence & on this score Easy probably has the highest profile & thus the most to lose should their performance not be seen to be up to scratch. But in reality I really can not see that Easy's problems this year if not replicated in future will have one jot of an effect on next years bookings though clearly competition will, and this is always good for the consumer even though it may be seen to be to the long detriment of the airlines.
Personally I have to date had only positive experiences on my use of EZY out of NCL, & thus there is also the 'brand loyalty', but unless in the unlikely event of a head to head on both timings & cost then this is basically irrelevant, as indeed would be 'brand aversion' to other punters.

crewboi83
14th Nov 2006, 20:37
your right skyman, but at the end of the day its all a matter of personal opionion, you have had good experiences with sleezy i havnt, so id much rather go ryanair or J2, im sure ppl have had both good and bad experiences with both.
The banter about J2 vs U2 isnt leading anywhere it was simply a discussion about the two airlines competing against each other!

lukeylad
16th Nov 2006, 18:46
I noticed the flyjet 767 at NCL today is she now operating from NCL??

one on one
16th Nov 2006, 19:48
Well it is official G-FJEC is flying out of NCL, first flight was to ACE.
So as they say, all good things come to those who wait!

"May god bless this aircraft and all who fly in her" Hip Hip Horay

:D Well Done everyone at Silverjet & Flyjet:D

transwede
17th Nov 2006, 08:42
According to ground staff Flyjet will use 767 EC for a few days at NCL, operating the usual 757 programme. 757 will then continue on with normal based programme for remainder of winter and continuing on into next summer.

Any news on BE and their base at NCL?

Ops Guy
19th Nov 2006, 13:03
All appears to be quiet regarding Fly Be and their proposed NCL base.:(

heslop2006
19th Nov 2006, 16:08
That is a shame :( I was looking forward to BE having presence here.

Anyone heard any more about EK?

HH6702
19th Nov 2006, 16:27
Expect to hear in the next few day about BE.

HH6702
19th Nov 2006, 17:36
Dont know if somebody has posted this or not

Pisa and Mahon starts again 14th May 2007

transwede
20th Nov 2006, 11:15
FlyBe and Germany

BE have mentioned various german routes in their various pree releases, I have doubts whether they will work. NCL has not had very much luck in the past with routes to Germany, can BE make it work - maybe they can on a loco basis.

Previous attempts have included LH to HAM and MUC, HLX to MUC and CGN, EZY to SXF - all stopped. LH do seem to be doing well with current DUS route, as do HLX and HAJ. Only time will tell if BE do start routes, if they will work or not.

BE is an ideal carrier for NCL. Smaller capacity aircraft with the ability to fly both domestic and international european routes, without as much of a risk as say using 737 a/c. What gaps are there in the loco market from NCL, realistically? France, Austria, Switzerland, Scandinavia?

On other notes, still nothing else from Jet2 for summer 2007, AMS, BGO, TFS still not on sale. Excel are rumoured to be basing Canadian (sunwing) aircraft at NCL for next summer. Nothing much else changes on the charter front. MYT, TCX, TOM, FJE all the same.

skyman771
20th Nov 2006, 12:10
FlyBe and Germany
BE is an ideal carrier for NCL Smaller capacity aircraft with the ability to fly both domestic and international european routes............On other notes, still nothing else from Jet2 for summer 2007.
For some reason Jet2 seem to be commanding much attention as to what new routes etc they may or may not be flying in 2007. Personally I'd be more concerned with the EZY situation, specifically that no flights have as yet been announced / available for booking commencing 1 April 07 & onwards. True this applies to the whole EZY network, but from a markeing point of view this must be turning into a bit of a nightmare. There must be many out there looking to fly as early as Easter who have as yet no comfort as to the service operating.
As to the concept of BE opening routes from NCL, well BE may be ideal for you as long as it's EMB's & not the predictable Dash 8's ! I for one have had more than enough experience of Gill ATR's & latterly BA Dash 8's & if it's that or nothing then obviously a no brainer. However neither stand up to jet operation with or without smiling faces & complimentary goodyboxes & are in my mind rank as second class. If the loads are smaller then it's RJ's that are needed, not more Dash 8's.:ugh:

virginblue
20th Nov 2006, 14:18
A guy working for Emirates has confirmed in a German forum that his company will start NCL daily on 01SEP07 (other new destinations for 2007 are Venice, Toronto, Sao Paulo and Houston).

Off Stand
20th Nov 2006, 14:20
Just been announced on the intranet that as of March '07, the BA LGW route will be axed. Flights to LHR remain that same for the time being.

virginblue
20th Nov 2006, 14:31
Personally I'd be more concerned with the EZY situation, specifically that no flights have as yet been announced / available for booking commencing 1 April 07 & onwards.

It looks as if they are in a pretty comfortable cash-flow situation. I am more worried about all those LCCs that sell seats like 18 months in advance in order to generate cash today....

hatters united
20th Nov 2006, 14:32
SKYMAN 771
EasyJet have never released thier April thru October schedule until mid December, and then it is base by base over approximatly a one month period so as to not overload their booking system.
It has always been that way with EZY and I'd say it has never hurt them in the past !

Ops Guy
20th Nov 2006, 16:08
Emirates
Good news about Emirates starting next September. That would explain the new airbridge on stand 09!! Any idea on aircraft type?? :D

LGW
Can somebody please enlight'en me as to why BA would want to pull the NCL - LGW route. They are the only airline that operate the route!!!! :(

HH6702
20th Nov 2006, 16:09
it states in airliners world that newcastle will become an airbus base in 2008

Captain_Adams
20th Nov 2006, 16:39
And of course what 'Airliners World' states is gospel, come on! :ugh:

fl dutchman
20th Nov 2006, 16:42
Just been announced on the intranet that as of March '07, the BA LGW route will be axed. Flights to LHR remain that same for the time being.

Still bookable until end of summer 2007. Passenger numbers have increased quite a bit during last year or so.

If it is true then would be surprised if Easyjet did not start on this route, although not sure if they would bring in a/c no7 for this, or trim some other existing NCL routes to free up aircraft?.

skyman771
20th Nov 2006, 16:47
This has been talked about on the forums for a few days now, assumption was mooted that a loco would take this up EZY? but then would they get the slots ?. But is certainly a strange one, it was BA too many years ago that 'took' the route from 'Dan Air' for commercial reasons.:confused:

skyman771
20th Nov 2006, 17:00
A guy working for Emirates has confirmed in a German forum that his company will start NCL daily on 01SEP07 (other new destinations for 2007 are Venice, Toronto, Sao Paulo and Houston).
Great news if true & consistent with other happenings, but would seem that someone has 'jumped the gun' I do hope that there wasn't an intermediary taxi driver involved anywhere. I would imagine that there will be some back in Dubai & NCL ? that may not wish their hands to be forced re this.:uhoh:

Off Stand
20th Nov 2006, 17:03
Now, don't shoot me down here, but could Jet2 add it to their network? Or how about FlyBe?

A mate of mine is the station manager at LGW for EZY, I'll see if he will tell me if the orange lot plan to serve this route?

HH6702
20th Nov 2006, 17:04
aren't BA 737's being returned to the leasing companies next year. this would make sence unless they transfer some A319 to LGW

I heard that easyjet will be an all airbus operator within the next 2/3 years.
some earlier 737 have now left the fleet

Great news about EK also. Im still hoping for New York also to start at some point during the summer!!

Off Stand
20th Nov 2006, 17:06
All of EZY's 300's have gone, the first two 700's (JA & JB) are reportly going to GOL in Dec or Jan.

HH6702
20th Nov 2006, 17:09
G-EZJD has also gone

mmeteesside
20th Nov 2006, 17:09
JB and JD have both been withdrawn so far

HH6702
20th Nov 2006, 17:15
The aircraft is being used to launch a new route out of LGW

Come on easyjet get in there 1st before jet2!!!

Off Stand
20th Nov 2006, 17:33
Cool, thanks guys. I remember when JD got the big @ LGW sticker, known as tech @ LGW!!!! Being an ex orange man, I hope EZY jump on that route too.

Britannia
20th Nov 2006, 18:17
(other new destinations for 2007 are Venice, Toronto, Sao Paulo and Houston).

Toronto - FlyGlobspan

Which airlines are doing the other destinations? Houston is a new one on me.

NCLRULES
20th Nov 2006, 18:47
I think it's refering to new routes from Emirates, not new routes from NCL.

virginblue
20th Nov 2006, 19:09
Great news if true & consistent with other happenings, but would seem that someone has 'jumped the gun' I do hope that there wasn't an intermediary taxi driver involved anywhere. I would imagine that there will be some back in Dubai & NCL ? that may not wish their hands to be forced re this.:uhoh:

No intermediaries. I was quite surprised that he was so open about his company's plans by posting it in a forum, could cost him his job IMHO. He did not mention the aircraft for NCL. Sao Paulo is a B777-200LR, Toronto a Boeing 777-300ER.

Britannia
20th Nov 2006, 19:10
I think it's refering to new routes from Emirates, not new routes from NCL.

Stupid me, sorry about that.:ugh:

skyman771
20th Nov 2006, 19:17
Stupid me, sorry about that.:ugh:
I sort of admired your style in actually not questioning as to how one was to get to Sao Paulo;)

Currock Base
20th Nov 2006, 19:30
Ops Guy - The reason BA has cancelled the NCL-LGW is simple. It didn't make money - in fact it lost quite a bit. I've been on the 1st flight of the day to LGW quite regularly - it wasn't full and there weren't many business people on it - that means not enough revenue. This should in theory be the profitable flight. The 2nd to LGW is a poor time - too late for business traffic and too late for the BA LGW longhaul connections. It is the return of the first flight North, which again is a poor time - too early for connections off BA inbound longhauls.

The problem with this route is it lacked frequency to make it realistic and the market isn't big enough for more frequent jet operations with 737s.

This route would be best served with more frequency using either props (ATR or Dash) or small regional jets. Unfortunately BA doesn't have the right fleet at LGW for this.

CB

fje1
20th Nov 2006, 19:32
Flyjet will use the B767 from thursday for a couple of days out of Newcastle. Departing Manchester at 10:30am arriving between 11am and 11:30am thursday into NCL to operate the afternoon Arrecife flight, then staying to opearte Tenerife-South and Las Palmas.

Great news for Flyjet :D

skyman771
20th Nov 2006, 19:43
He did not mention the aircraft for NCL. ...
Well there isn't really a lot of choice IF it comes off it will doubtless be an A330.200. Such a service for NCL would in my view probably be as significant as that of one Stateside. These days the developing markets are out East & Emirates with some smart promotion would be in an excellent position to offer the 'one stop' solution that has to date been denied the North East traveller. Additionally to provide a service where one is able to avoid transiting LHR T1 or T3 these days with their disgusting & inadequate facilities then this is a ' no brainer', though note LHR has some excellent executive lounges (particularly T4). I for one will be the first to wish them good luck in their venture. But as they say 'it's not over until the fat lady sings' and so like everyone else I'm still awaiting confirmation.:suspect:

skyman771
20th Nov 2006, 19:55
Ops Guy - The reason BA has cancelled the NCL-LGW is simple. It didn't make money - in fact it lost quite a bit. I've been on the 1st flight of the day to LGW quite regularly - it wasn't full and there weren't many business people on it CB
Yes ! but what you omit to state is that at a similar time the first BA LHR departs, and that is often met with total chaos at the checkin & full flights. I take your note about the lack of business travellers, I have however noticed this of late also on the LHR. But then we will never get back to the golden days on the early morning Britannia's & Tridents in the early 70's when from experience the LHR flight was usually around 90% business occupancy.

virginblue
20th Nov 2006, 20:05
OK, I now have the information from the same source that the aircraft for Emirates will be an Airbus A330-200H. "H" is the internal designator for the high density layout, i.e. without first class.

Ops Guy
20th Nov 2006, 20:11
Thanks CB. Didn't BA operate a B146 on this route many years ago??

At least with the route being pulled it means we get an extra Pier stand to play with!!

ncleflights
20th Nov 2006, 20:24
The aircraft is being used to launch a new route out of LGW

Come on easyjet get in there 1st before jet2!!!

Please no, this is far too important business route for easyjet to take on. Thats probably not just my view but all those business travellers like me who were sick of easyjet putting them on coaches from Bristol to Newcastle over the summer and who I now see regularly on Virgin Trains Bristol to Newcastle service.

If BA are to pull LGW and a LOCO operator is the only possibility for this route lets hope its someome a bit more reliable like Jet2 or possibly FLYBE.

fl dutchman
20th Nov 2006, 20:31
Thanks CB. Didn't BA operate a B146 on this route many years ago??

At least with the route being pulled it means we get an extra Pier stand to play with!!

Yes a 146/RJ100. but before that it was an ATR42/72 with up to 6 rotations each weekday

fl dutchman
20th Nov 2006, 21:10
OK, I now have the information from the same source that the aircraft for Emirates will be an Airbus A330-200H. "H" is the internal designator for the high density layout, i.e. without first class.

So thats a 2 class (Business + Economy) configuration?.

Excelent news if it happens.

nclairportfan
20th Nov 2006, 22:05
I am very disappointed in BA for letting LGW go. It has so much potential and isn't a route that that have exactly pushed or done much in the way of advertising.

I do believe though someone will pick it up, especially with the number of pax it was generating. Jet2, EZY or BE would all be prime examples and with a little advertising would probably do very well. I have no doubt that this route could be made to work with the right advertising and fare structure.

To note other comments, biz pax on domestic routes are rare nowadays. Not five years ago by company were prepared to pay around £300 return for a day flight. This is no longer the case, they have financial pressures on travel budgets and it is cheaper and more cost effective to send people on the train, where they can work all the way using wifi etc - something the airlines have not yet got away round.

ncleflights
21st Nov 2006, 00:51
To note other comments, biz pax on domestic routes are rare nowadays. Not five years ago by company were prepared to pay around £300 return for a day flight. This is no longer the case, they have financial pressures on travel budgets and it is cheaper and more cost effective to send people on the train, where they can work all the way using wifi etc - something the airlines have not yet got away round.

Biz passengers on domestic routes rare nowadays!! I use domestic flights every week and the majority of passengers are those on business. Where have you got your stats from. Also if your going to LGW your probably going to the south of London (Surrey Sussex etc) so the chances are your not going to use the train as KX is to the North of London so after spending 3-4 hours on the train you then have to get through London(another hour). What you will need though on business is a dependable airline anything else costs your business money.

SWBKCB
21st Nov 2006, 06:57
Biz passengers on domestic routes rare nowadays!! I use domestic flights every week and the majority of passengers are those on business. Where have you got your stats from? Also if your going to LGW your probably going to the south of London (Surrey Sussex etc) so the chances are your not going to use the train as KX is to the North of London so after spending 3-4 hours on the train you then have to get through London(another hour). What you will need though on business is a dependable airline anything else costs your business money.
Totally agree - when I use NCL-LHR-NCL loads are usually in the high 90%, and it looks like most are business pax. As they also seem to go to the exit and not the transfer centre, I would also say the majority are not transfering either. The only time I've used LGW is when there's been no seats left on a LHR flight to/from NCL...

fl dutchman
21st Nov 2006, 09:33
If no one takes this route over it will be quite a dent in the pax nos from NCL.
It looks like the NCL-LGW did about 20,000 per month,almost quarter of a million per year.
If I have done my sums right the average load per flight is about 80 pax based on 4 flts per day, and this year has seen an increase in numbers by about 5% compared to last year
So quite a lot of people use it.
I do agree that most pax seem to be leisure on this route these days with onward connections many with B A. So it will make it very difficult to fly from LGW if your in the north east. B A and other airlines at LGW will loose international pax from the area.

Notice that LGW -ABZ does about the same or less pax than LGW-NCL some months and the numbers are down on last year. Is this route in danger.

Read somewhere that B A will continue with NCL-LHR FOR THE TIME BEING,
dont like the sound of that!!!

skyman771
21st Nov 2006, 12:21
NCL- LGW
Few more observations - In the real world you won't loose 200,000 pax, either demand will ensure that another operator takes up the route or that pax will simply migrate to other alternatives LHR, STN etc. Though note that the removal of flights that serve the domestic market South of London would obviously result in some reduction.
Secondly a point I raised earlier that has not met any response, what happens to the BA LGW slots? are they available for an alternate Loco ?
As regards equipment, in the earlier discussion it was Danair who first used the 146 on the LGW following the 1-11's, and more up to date, it is not long since BA used Dash 8's on the LGW at weekends & they were not pleasant flights! Perish the thought that progress may dictate that we could return to Dash 8's with BE !
Finally to counter the moaning re EZY relaibility re the NCL-BRS, I recall one day turning up for the BA early morning LGW facing chaos as it had been canx due to crew problems, was not good as I lost a CO connection to EWR. These things happen it's looking forward that matters.:ok:

skyman771
21st Nov 2006, 12:28
Read somewhere that B A will continue with NCL-LHR FOR THE TIME BEING,
dont like the sound of that!!!
I think what you read was the story that goes something like this ' Once upon a time there were two airlines BEA & BOAC then there came about a chaotic & acrimonious meger into BA then there was more chaos and eventually there were two airlines again BA & BE...' Now the only uncertainty about this story is whether they will live happily ever after;) ;)

flyer55
21st Nov 2006, 12:37
Lets hope either Easyjet or Flybe or Jet 2 start the route !

airhumberside
21st Nov 2006, 13:39
Notice that LGW -ABZ does about the same or less pax than LGW-NCL some months and the numbers are down on last year. Is this route in danger.
I suspect this route has a lot of high yielding passengers transferring to BA's LGW-IAH so whilever BA have to serve IAH non stop from LGW I think LGW-ABZ has a good chance of not being axed

2bcrew
21st Nov 2006, 13:53
I must admit, I used the LGW-NCL service this weekend, it was just about full both ways - commuting Crew I know do seem to use it quite a bit - and though some of them will be non-revenue pax, there were quite a few business travellers on there.

Its a shame it will go - now the North East won't have a connection with LGW (bmibaby pulling out of MME) so I hope there is someone else to take over!...

NCL-06
21st Nov 2006, 16:25
in local media a spokesperson is quoted as saying that a replacement carrier for the LGW route will be announced at the end of the week

nclairportfan
21st Nov 2006, 16:27
I assume it will be EZY, LS or BE. I can't see anyone else being interested? At least we will keep the route and if it is a loco then it will hopefully boost the pax numbers a little.

BA have obviously been planning this for a little while so I am surprised they didn't move the route to BE as part of the BACON transfer? Seems odd.

transwede
21st Nov 2006, 20:21
Jet2 operate MAN-LGW, so I'm guessing it could be them. They have spare capacity in their based aircraft at NCL, so maybe 2xdaily flights, morning and evening? Easyjet is a possibility, though with LGW based equipment I suspect. BE, are possibly an outside contender as they have neither a base at LGW or as yet NCL. Even though they run a sustantial operation from LGW, it is all using other bases aircraft, therefore alot of w patterns would be involved. This is all on the condition that a particular carrier can gain slots at LGW for operating a service, bearing in mind that current ops on the route are at peak times and BA are still saying it is not profitable.

And what is the problem with props? They enable routes to start, with a lesser financial risk, i.e generally cheaper to run and their smaller capacity is suited to niche routes from smaller airports, such as NCL. I, for one would not have a problem with BE Dash8's starting new routes from NCL, or infact getting based if it means more employment for the region and more expansion for the airport.

Flyjet is using 767 at NCL, believe it is being used to get the aircraft flying more regular as has been on the ground some time. Kind of like a shakedown I suppose. Good news though, flyjet seem to be on the up and they make a nice little addition to NCL's based aircraft count.

Emirates and A330? Seems to be more believeable, particularly if there is less premium capacity??? That new airbridge is ear-marked for someone, but is it EK, if not then WHO?:confused: