PDA

View Full Version : JAA Flying Instructor Requirements

invertedspin10
27th Sep 2006, 17:06
My understanding is that to obtain a current JAA FI rating (on a JAA PPL) you need to show CPL level knowledge which basically means taking the JAA CPL or ATPL ground exams. I was wondering if the JAA accept an FAA CPL as "Relevant CPL knowledge" or if it had to be the JAA Exams.

Has anybody got round this knowledge requirement without taking the exams e.g experience/job related training / Motor Glider instructor /degree Aero eng etc. I understand a high level of knowledge is required but to me it seems a little excessive to have to sit CPL exams just to be able to instruct at weekends on a PPL (unpaid).

Thanks

BEagle
27th Sep 2006, 18:53
The actual theoretical knowledge requirement is:

Meet the knowledge requirements for the grant of
a JAR-FCL Commercial Pilot Licence
(Aeroplanes) as per AMC FCL 1.470(b).

A FAA CPL does not meet this requirement. Neither do any of the other qualifications to which you refer.

Although the PPL(A) is a non-professional JAA licence, those conducting flight instruction for the licence are required to have at least JAA professional levels of knowledge.

Many in the PPL training industry consider this excessive and wish to change the theoretical knowledge requirements; this may be achieved eventually, but not in the immediate future.

Whopity
27th Sep 2006, 22:13
It is an International requirement given in ICAO Annex 1. Non ICAO licences such as SLMG and Microlight licences are less stringent.

BillieBob
27th Sep 2006, 22:49
invertedspin10 - To dispel any doubt, the answer to your question is No.

sam34
29th Sep 2006, 15:30
Hello,

Just a quickly question...

I wonder, is it possible to work in UK or Ireland with a FI passed in France ?

I know that FI is a rating so all the JAR countries should accept it but I can say that France does not accept a FI JAA (UK) or from another jar country... :ugh:
is there a little conversion ?

thank you!

Whopity
1st Oct 2006, 07:42
The UK does comply with JAR-FCL and will accept a French JAA FI qualification in the UK! No conversion required.

sam34
1st Oct 2006, 11:46
thank you very much Whopity! :)