PDA

View Full Version : Examining on a PPLA()

VeeAny
26th Sep 2006, 17:01
Can an ex FE(A) get his examiner authorisation back after a long term layoff due illness (now pronounced fighting fit again).

He will probably only hold a PPL(A) as its just too expensive to get the CPL back, but I am sure I've seen it somewhere that examiners can be paid without holding a CPL, and that the requirements only stipulate hours and instructional experience.

I would normally go and look all this up, but the aeroplane world is my area of expertise, and I don't want to miss anything.

V

Whopity
26th Sep 2006, 18:37
There is nothing in JAR-FCL that says you can't, and think how popular you'd be conducting free skill tests because on a PPL you could not charge!

I think you'll find getting the examiner rating back is more expensive than the CPL! Flight Check with FIE £200, Aircraft Hire £200, Authorisation £275 so about £675 to earn nothing!

VeeAny
26th Sep 2006, 21:37
I am not certain that there is an inability to charge, thats the whole point to it.

As I said in the first post, but I am sure I've seen it somewhere that examiners can be paid without holding a CPL.

What is the situation regarding a pilot who has not flown for 6-7 years , can he renew his national cpl without having to redo all the exams.

BEagle
26th Sep 2006, 22:16
As far as I'm aware:

You will need a minimum of a SEP Class Rating renewal LST and JAA Class 1 Medical to have a UK CPL re-issued....and to pay the re-issue fees. About £250 for the SEP Class Rating (excluding any brush up training) and £120 for the re-issue. Plus the medical.

Then you will need to contact the CAA before you renew your FI qualification. The renewal will require a seminar and a flight test (after some refresher training). Total cost around £800 plus accommodation and travel. The CAA will also need you to complete the assimilation of knowledge declaration.

Then you may apply for your FE re-authorisation. As Whopity has said, around £675.

As for an IR (SPA), if it has lapsed by more than 7 years, you will need to take the exams again and to pass an IR Skill Test with a CAA Examiner.

All of this can be found in LASORS - except for the costs.

Whopity
27th Sep 2006, 22:10
I am not certain that there is an inability to charge, thats the whole point to it.

An examiner who is a PPL holder may not be remunerated for any flying that relates to the privileges of a licence maintained in accordance with JAR-FCL. JAR-FCL 1.110a.
National PPL holders may still be remunerated for instruction and tests conducted on Microlights, Autogyros and SLMGs.

NPPL holders cannot at present hold a FI qualification and therefore can't hold an examiner authority.