PDA

View Full Version : SRG for all boards?

Mahaba
25th Sep 2006, 18:26
Anyone clarify for me if this is correct? The policy now for APP/ADC controllers at EGCC is that for EVERY board (including) what would normally be internal (re-validation after absence/sickness) there will now be an SRG examiner. The procedure used to be that SRG was made aware and turned up if they wanted too but it wasn't a neccessity. If this is true then is this the only UK unit where this is policy or is this being introduced everywhere? Just a rumour at the minute but that's why we're hear!
ps. Makes our own LCE examiners look a bit useless though doesn't it?
pps EGCC management scores again on staff morale!

Gonzo
25th Sep 2006, 18:49
Not quite sure what the problem is, SRG have the right to attend any board as you say.

Mahaba
25th Sep 2006, 18:55
The query is because, as I understand it, they now HAVE to be there for the board to take place; meaning the board is like a first validation board and now REQUIRES an SRG presence not just a presence if they wish to take up the invite and attend as is now.

Gonzo
25th Sep 2006, 18:58
So where did you hear this?

Mahaba
25th Sep 2006, 19:21
Earwigging to a conversation between someone who this applies to and an other. I believe it's a local management edict. Surprise surprise.

radar707
26th Sep 2006, 09:56
What difference does it make if SRG attend all boards, if they wanted to turn up at one they would.

Does it make a difference to how much work you would do for a board if you knew SRG were attending?

Are you more likely to fail a board that SRG attend?

I don't see the problem here, if you're good enough to pass a board, then why should you care?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Sep 2006, 10:20
radar707.... Wise and sensible words.

AlanM
26th Sep 2006, 10:27
Very true.

How often do we hear that "xxx unit has SRG /trappers in today".

You mean I should do my job right then?!?!

At TC, the internal boards have seen at least three fails I know about in the last 18 months or so - all experienced ATCOs who subsequently passed. The point being that it is not necessarily easier to do an internal board.

What difference does it make?

Not Long Now
26th Sep 2006, 10:37
The limited availability of an SRG member has certainly delayed boards in the past. OK if they're always going to be available, but if they are thin on the ground...

Mahaba
26th Sep 2006, 15:24
The point wasn't about whether SRG's presence was wrong or right (personally I agree that it shouldn't make a difference) the point was whether this was becoming policy at all units or whether this was just a EGCC thing that the managers have decided to implement. If it is then where do you draw the line when it comes to changing the procedures willy nilly to suit the managers moods of the day. It seems to be another management knee jerk reaction such as banning all conditional clearances for a month to 'see what happens' (true at EGCC whilst still expecting atcos to cope with increasing traffic) without a true picture of how these decisions (made by the guys who don't do the coal face anymore) effect the operations and morale of busy units. We should all have no fear of SRG but it was the principle of the mandate that I was wondering about.

Gonzo
26th Sep 2006, 16:59
But what power have unit management got over SRG to ensure they attend all boards?:confused:

Xmod
28th Sep 2006, 10:30
No mention of this from SRG on the Examiner Course which finished yesterday. Certainly a resource problem for them if it applied to LACC.