PDA

View Full Version : FAA based on PPL question...

genius747
25th Sep 2006, 10:59
Hello, I have an FAA PPL based on my Irish PPL.
I have just recieved a shiney new CPL from the UK CAA this morning, making my Irish JAA PPL no more!

My problem is, on the back of the FAA PPL it states, valid only with current Irish JAA PPL number xxxxx, because this is no longer valid and I am now going to be using the UK CPL, does anybody know how I would go about changing the FAA based on PPL?

Thanks,

G747

BigGrecian
25th Sep 2006, 16:23
Your FAA PPL is still valid as long as your Irish PPL remains valid and current.
Remember you will need a Bi-annual flight review and relevant endorsment to actually make your FAA PPL Valid in accordance with FAR 61.56.
The only way to change it to be based on your UK CPL is to re-apply completely...and that costs circa £38 with the UK CAA.

Where I completed my training, the DPEs would accept the letter of verification if completing a Commerical or Instrument upgrade, (Be aware a letter of verification is REQUIRED if completing more FAA licences/ratings and it MUST be valid, to prove your licence hasn't been suspended etc..) even if you had your CPL issued since. It's only a change of the PP to CP before the licence number.

genius747
26th Sep 2006, 23:59
well my irish ppl is now, not current as a pilot cannot hold more than one JAA Flight Crew Licence, so effectively I now no longer hold an irish ppl... so i guess i will have to go through the whole process with the faa and now the caa to get another based on faa ppl!! great...

chrisbl
27th Sep 2006, 16:57
I think so, if the number on your licence and the number on the FAA certificate dont match, you are stuffed.

B2N2
27th Sep 2006, 20:36
if the number on your licence and the number on the FAA certificate dont match, you are stuffed.

What else do you expect? Get another license on your word alone?
Cough up the 38BP and get a new validation.......:suspect:

B200Drvr
28th Sep 2006, 11:18
Contact the FAA in Oklahoma, it is easily sorted by getting your FAA certificate to reflect the fact that it is now based on your Comm.
It is just a phone call away

WestWind1950
29th Sep 2006, 08:53
I just had the same problem... got a CPL and the FAA licence is based on the old PPL. On my recent visit to the US, I just stopped by the FAA office, filled in the form, and got a new temporary FAA one. The "real" one will be sent to me free of charge to Germany! Now THAT is service!
:D

WestWind1950
29th Sep 2006, 20:17
yes, I "stopped by" ! :p
There was a sign saying "By appointment only", but also a bell to ring and announce your presence, so I did just that. I then filled out the papers there, the examiner came over to check the form and then he signed the temporary licence right there and then!
Sometimes it pays to just be a bit bold :ok:
Westy